GUI to download LibreOffice - beta quality

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
gcmartin

#101 Post by gcmartin »

01micko wrote: ... It would require that ...
Thanks @Pemasu and @01Micko. You guys are great!

Just a note
I believe that I have used LibreOffice on a PC that has 1GB of RAM (not free, total). But, I cannot swear to it.

In any event, it is prudent and wise that we should follow recommendations as it means that the developers has tested at that level of design and the product functions adequately. And, should any of us find a difference that would help others, we should present that information.

Thanks, again, to both of you.

01micko

#102 Post by 01micko »

Note that 1GB RAM requirement is to build the sfs 8) :wink: in RAM, as that's how pupmode=5 (pfix=ram) works.

Libreoffice should run fine and build fine with 256MB RAM, in an installed state (either full or frugal, pupmode=2, pupmode=12, and I should add support for pupmode=6).

I'll reiterate that USB installs are unsupported (pupmode=3, 7, 13). There could be big problems if there is a snapmerge during the build. I do not intend to fix this.

I have not supported pupmode=77(save back to CD/DVD), but it will be a similar scenario to pupmode=5.

Hope this clarifies.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

greengeek

#103 Post by greengeek »

01micko wrote: Perhaps for now putting in a symlink "gtkdialog" targeting gtkdialog3 will fix your issue.

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3 /usr/sbin/gtkdialog
Thanks. That worked perfectly on my 4.3.1 frugal.

I chose version 3.5 (instead of 3.4.5) and it works, but is very much slower to load than the Libreoffice I had previously loaded into into a Slacko 53 frugal on the same hardware.

Is that related to the age of 4.3.1 do you think? (lacking modern libs or something?)

Also, during the first run of Libreoffice on 4.3.1 it repeatedly requested a JRE to be loaded. I didn't do that yet because I got a lot of problems when I loaded a JRE pet to my Slacko Libreoffice (ROX corruptions now resolved)

Do you consider the JRE to be critical/desirable/optional?

T4TH

EDIT: I also tried the new .sfs on Wary511 and it works (I didn't really expect it to be portable to a different Puppy version...), but I experienced exactly the same delay when starting Libre on 511 as I did with 4.3.1
It seems to take forever to get to the point where you can start typing the document.. Is it normal to expect slower performance from an sfs programme versus a fully installed programme? (My installed version on Slacko53 was Libre 3.3, whereas this new sfs is Libre 3.5 - maybe the newer version is more weighty?)
Last edited by greengeek on Mon 12 Mar 2012, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#104 Post by 01micko »

Hi greengeek

It is certainly possible that it's slower on 431 due to libs but I am not sure. As long as it's stable than it shouldn't be a problem.

As for Java, I thinks it's needed for some of the presenter features. Calc and Writer work fine without Java, I'm not too sure about the others. The warning should not appear after subsequent loads of LibreOffice Writer and Calc.

HTH

vovchik

#105 Post by vovchik »

Dear 01micko and greengeek,

I seem to recall that Java was needed for the database. I don't think it works without it. Some extensions may also need it, but nearly everything works without JRE, although I have it installed.

With kind regards,
vovchik

gcmartin

Using JRE

#106 Post by gcmartin »

In the past, I've used JRE as it have automatically provided JAVA features for JAVA apps one mihgt use.

I use a LAN PC finder called AngryIP available as a JAVA app or as a PET installer which adds a menu item. And, with LibreOffice this allow full functioning of the product.

This is not a request for a change to anything, just an understand of how one get JAVA servcie for needed applications.

Thanks goes to Pemasu as he has score a wining hockey goal with the LibreOffice.PET he produced.

Thanks again to all

greengeek

Re: Using JRE

#107 Post by greengeek »

gcmartin wrote:In the past, I've used JRE as it have automatically provided JAVA features for JAVA apps one mihgt use.

I use a LAN PC finder called AngryIP available as a JAVA app or as a PET installer which adds a menu item. And, with LibreOffice this allow full functioning of the product.
gcmartin - can you clarify this please? Are you saying that I don't need a JRE at all, I only need to install angryIP and then Libreoffice will be satisfied?

(I am a little confused because that seems different to your first post in this other topic:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67345
where I think you said "JAVA is required")

thanks in advance.

greengeek

#108 Post by greengeek »

vovchik wrote: but nearly everything works without JRE, although I have it installed.
Thank you vovchik. Do you remember where you got the JRE from? (I installed a JRE pet to my Slacko53 install and ended up with icon problems and unwanted ROX alterations). I would like to find a good, clean, safe JRE just in case I need it)
Thx.

01micko

#109 Post by 01micko »

Hi greengeek

Going by vovchik's info I would say that if you don't need Base (the database) you don't need Java. Angry IP scanner is a Java dependent IP address scanner and a totally separate, you don't need it unless you want to scan for ALL Ip addresses your machine can find (fun exercise!). It has nothing to do with LibreOffice.

I have had no problem with Java, which version did you have an issue with and from where did you get it? The lucid 1.6 update 24 version (iirc) seems stable on older gear (from reports).

You could try some from the follwing post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67371

greengeek

#110 Post by greengeek »

01micko wrote: I have had no problem with Java, which version did you have an issue with and from where did you get it? The lucid 1.6 update 24 version (iirc) seems stable on older gear (from reports).
Hi 01micko,
the JRE issue that some of us experienced with Libreoffice on Slacko53 is detailed here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75299
(it is an obvious problem on Slacko due to the black desktop, but icon colour was not the only problem I had as a result. Other Rox options were "contaminated" also)

I will have a look at that other source for JRE.
many thanks.

01micko

#111 Post by 01micko »

HI greengeek

Ah yes, I do remember your issue of getting a java package that was tainted with rox-filer settings.... that is one problem with getting a package from the forum, they aren't screened so you use at your own risk. Best thing to do if unsure about a package is to backup first.

Cheers

gcmartin

JRE with LibreOffice

#112 Post by gcmartin »

Sorry for the delay:

Below, the PPM seems to have a JRE that is without issues. I will check to see if the same is true of the forum recommendation that @01Micko shares.

The PPM doesn't indicate this to be a "full" version. It is a little confusing as it suggests "... Control Panel". But, it works without issues!

Should one of the ones listed in the forum does work without introducing issues, what should we do for those to be included in PPM by distro developers?

AngryIP was listed as it is a simple JAVA Jar/pet that has many uses in a local LANs for determining your local LAN's devices. I have been using this in Windows/Linux for the past 15 years. Lightning fast and "little to no" footprint when used.

2nd item of interest - LibreOffice

My concern for JRE is that it give MY use the opportunity to add, test, implement java apps should I need to use them. LibreOffice will allow me to run ALL of its facilities, thus I made a judgment call to want Java available should LibreOffice functions which use that need that without my having to chase down error messages that would erupt..

3rd item - LibreOffice PET Question
Is there a way for it to be available to SLACKO's PPM?

Lastly and in summary
BOTH the LibreOffice PET and the AngryIP PET/jar work without known issues when running. They are using the currently shown PPM JRE (below) in spite of the error received from the java command shown above. This is currently being run on a Live media system with 2 current save-sessions on a Intel Mobil 1.5GHz CPU with 1GB RAM. The PET from @Pemasu was installed on this SLACKO 3.2.7 and the system is running "snappily" without any issues from any of the system's components. See below for all currently PET installed.

Hope this helps
Attachments
Installed Packages.png
Currently installed packages on SLACKO 5.3.2.7
(17.19 KiB) Downloaded 1199 times
ERASEDIS.png
PPM does NOT have a JRE that installs on SLACKO without issues. (But, please understand, that aside from the issues, AngryIP works fine using this problematic version)
(76.14 KiB) Downloaded 1206 times

Henry

LibreOffice- 3.5.1 SOLVED

#113 Post by Henry »

Edit:

3.5.1 was announced this morning (or last night).

I was able to download it and the help file from the normal place in the normal way, no problem. When I tried to get it with the GUI, I could not get the download started, although I could with the "testing" RC. Confirmed several times - did not seem to be a matter of availability.

Does the GUI automatically download the latest stable, or does the maintainer have to tweak it? Has anyone successfully got 3.5.1 through the GUI?

Thanks
Last edited by Henry on Fri 16 Mar 2012, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#114 Post by 01micko »

Henry..

They can be slow to update the servers for Linux, working fine for me right now, give it another try.

Henry

SOLVED see message below

#115 Post by Henry »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried again. Got the green spinning splash: "Please wait a moment" for 45 minutes. . . The libre_download folder was created but stayed empty.

I have QuirkyNop 1.2 with Xfce (Thunar, no Rox, Opera, no Seamomkey or Firefox). Very clean system. What are the system requirements?

Henry
Last edited by Henry on Fri 16 Mar 2012, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

SOLVED by symlink

#116 Post by Henry »

Back again - I read above the advice to

This made a big difference. I was given some choices and got a yellow box that was trying to download the help file but failed. So maybe I'm seeing traffic congestion. Will try again.

Henry

Edit: OK now! Great program. Thanks

buzby01

#117 Post by buzby01 »

Just used get_LO.13 enGB to install LO 3.5.1 to Macpup 5.2.8. and all works perfectly even base with Java is working.

Thanks to all involved. Would like to know one thing though. This thread talks about converting the sfs to a pet package. could you point me in the right direction in how to achieve this and thanks again.

Cheers

01micko

#118 Post by 01micko »

0.15 is out... so is Libreoffice 3.5.3

see main post

Jim1911

#119 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:0.15 is out... so is Libreoffice 3.5.3

see main post
Thanks, but now your great FATSlacko is already out of date. :roll:

Henry