Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 16:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 122 of 250 [3742 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
mavrothal

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 05:01    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Black screens, video cards, monitors, etc may bore the pants of some, but, at the moment, it's the most important issue confronting the breed.

Indeed hardware compatibility hits you way before interface usability/package availability.
Saluki may choose to focus only on machines that work or rediscover the wheel as luci, slacko, exprimo, fatdog, etc before it.
Maybe is time for a coherent, collaborative, development model (git/subversion/mercurial) with "clear" commits, branches, pulling, merging, etc?...

Dromeno

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 06:04    Post subject: Saluki 14 - wine, icewm, compiz  

I am testing the new Saluki 14 on my AsusEEE 1215n

I like what I see! Some small things:

Wine 1.4 does not automatically install all its missing libs yet

I am not sure if I want to make the transition from icewm to xfce. Is there a version of icewm recommended for this puplet?

OTOH - xfce is able to work with compiz right? I know it is pure eye candy but it looks nice. What do I need to install to get compiz (rotating desktop cube!) working in Saluki?

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 06:34    Post subject:  

Just took saluki for a test drive on my toshiba nb200 (standard atom 10 inch netbook). All hardware appears to work! Some initial thoughts:
- Splash screens that pop up are a bit obtrusive, especially listing all the partitions etc.
- The mouse is enormous
- starting frisbee from the control panel, managed to open up two instances. Both running in the tray. This should be avoided I think.
- configuring wireless in frisbee, informed me that it failed. Seconds later got an IP assigned and everything works.
- can't change mouse speed / accelleration either using gui or xset. Both don't work.
- I created a desktop icon (using right mouse click, send to > desktop, I think??) to a script, which runs the opera browser. (/home/opera-11.blah/opera). Clicking it on the desktop does nothing. The script does work if clicked directly.
- managing of mounting/unmounting: Would be nice if could open each partition in file manager from the tray once mounted.

I have to say, my compliments on a nice looking puppy! I think good choice of default desktop environment (although personally prefer rox/icewm). May try out the remaster script later.
-Thomas

smokey01

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 06:41    Post subject:  

Is there a Citrix ICA client available for Saluki?
Tman

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 11:44    Post subject:  

[quote="Geoffrey"]
Geoffrey wrote:

@Tman,
Well, I tried installing the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.20.run and I get the same result as the the pet package, a total lockup when running glxgears.

The GeForce 8600 GT is stable using the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run driver.

Great, thank you. So it is the Nvidia driver itself then that is having problems with your hardware. I will package an older Nvidia driver at a later date, for you to try.
antiloquax

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 14:37    Post subject:  

@Jemimah I'm rebuilding Python3. This time I have done it with gdbm installed, which I had overlooked.

EDIT: it still failed to build module _dbm.
Any ideas about how to solve this?

Am I right in thinking that I don't need to worry about ossmediadev? I read on Stackoverflow that Linux uses ALSA instead of this?

jim3630

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 16:44    Post subject:  

using 014 several days and it is a pleasure. no problems to report.

using it on a plane 3 yrs old hp laptop.
antiloquax

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 18:45    Post subject:  

antiloquax wrote:
@Jemimah I'm rebuilding Python3.
Still failed to build module _dbm.

I've tried installing a couple of .deb packages (libgdbm3 and python3-gbdm) but still can't get this to work. Sad

jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 20:48    Post subject: Re: Python 3.1.4 with Pygame .pet  

antiloquax wrote:

Glad that one was okay. Sorry, but what do you mean by "strip the libs"?

Stripping the libs removes unneeded debugging symbols - sometimes this saves a huge amount of space.

The the default new2dir command strips executables, but not libs - I'm not sure why it's this way. I suppose there's some circumstances which stripping libs breaks things but I've never seen it. I have fixed the new2dir in saluki to do it automatically.

To find and strip libs manually I do this inside the package directory:

Code:
find . -name "*.so*" -exec strip --strip-unneeded {} \;

You can tell if a lib or bin is stripped or not by running

Code:
file <filename>
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 20:56    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Sage wrote:
Black screens, video cards, monitors, etc may bore the pants of some, but, at the moment, it's the most important issue confronting the breed.

Indeed hardware compatibility hits you way before interface usability/package availability.
Saluki may choose to focus only on machines that work or rediscover the wheel as luci, slacko, exprimo, fatdog, etc before it.
Maybe is time for a coherent, collaborative, development model (git/subversion/mercurial) with "clear" commits, branches, pulling, merging, etc?...

If Barry has no interest in sponsoring this type of development it's up to the community to set it up. But first someone needs to build a puplet good enough to attract a developer community.

I'm trying to here to make a puplet that is flexible enough in the right places to encourage to merging rather than forking, but it takes time.

To further complicate things, all of Barry's patches to woof would need to be merged manually. It's not easy since Barry localized everything it's going to be a major pain to get things back in sync.
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 20:58    Post subject: Re: Saluki 14 - wine, icewm, compiz  

Dromeno wrote:
I am testing the new Saluki 14 on my AsusEEE 1215n

I like what I see! Some small things:

Wine 1.4 does not automatically install all its missing libs yet

I am not sure if I want to make the transition from icewm to xfce. Is there a version of icewm recommended for this puplet?

OTOH - xfce is able to work with compiz right? I know it is pure eye candy but it looks nice. What do I need to install to get compiz (rotating desktop cube!) working in Saluki?

I haven't tested icewm yet. If it supports the --replace option, it should be easy to run it with xfce.

Compiz should work, just install the compiz pet.
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 21:03    Post subject:  

106498 wrote:
Just took saluki for a test drive on my toshiba nb200 (standard atom 10 inch netbook). All hardware appears to work! Some initial thoughts:
- Splash screens that pop up are a bit obtrusive, especially listing all the partitions etc.
- The mouse is enormous
- starting frisbee from the control panel, managed to open up two instances. Both running in the tray. This should be avoided I think.
- configuring wireless in frisbee, informed me that it failed. Seconds later got an IP assigned and everything works.
- can't change mouse speed / accelleration either using gui or xset. Both don't work.
- I created a desktop icon (using right mouse click, send to > desktop, I think??) to a script, which runs the opera browser. (/home/opera-11.blah/opera). Clicking it on the desktop does nothing. The script does work if clicked directly.
- managing of mounting/unmounting: Would be nice if could open each partition in file manager from the tray once mounted.

I have to say, my compliments on a nice looking puppy! I think good choice of default desktop environment (although personally prefer rox/icewm). May try out the remaster script later.
-Thomas

Thanks for the feedback.

It's probably better to create desktop icons by dragging them to the desktop from the menu. Xfdesktop has some issue with scripts, but it seems to work well with .desktop files.
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 21:04    Post subject:  

smokey01 wrote:
Is there a Citrix ICA client available for Saluki?

Not yet. I will see if I can find one.
butchydave

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 21:19    Post subject: luki 14
Subject description: Sweet

Just want to say i'm really liking this dog!! Thanks so much for everyones time (massive) and effort.
I love playing with puppy!! Very Happy
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 21:41    Post subject:  

antiloquax wrote:
@Jemimah I'm rebuilding Python3. This time I have done it with gdbm installed, which I had overlooked.

EDIT: it still failed to build module _dbm.

Am I right in thinking that I don't need to worry about ossmediadev? I read on Stackoverflow that Linux uses ALSA instead of this?

I couldn't get it to build either. Skip it for now unless there's a specific reason you need it. If you do need it, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it.

Yeah, don't worry about OSS either.
Page 122 of 250 [3742 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: