VirtualBox for many Puppies

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
tatamata

#81 Post by tatamata »

Hello.
I have installed VirtualBox 4.1.8 in SnowPuppy020. When I start ReactOS in it, I get error: "Kernel driver not installedd (rc=-1908). The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdriver. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' ".
When i execute /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup, it fails, even if I load kernel_src-2.6.38.4-lupe20.sfs.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks.

pemasu

#82 Post by pemasu »

I posted to the pm the correct kernel source sfs link. It is now found from snow puppy-020 first page.

tatamata

#83 Post by tatamata »

Yes, pemasu, thank you, the kernel source you gave me link, solved the problem:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... -lupe5.sfs

ralph1bart

Thanks!

#84 Post by ralph1bart »

Upgraded 414 to 418 without a hitch. Desktop Icon didn't even need an update. Realized this is where I got the 414.
Thanks for the work on these pets and the info on what goes with what. And the audio info... i knew something was wrong but didn't know it was the usr or the app.
Regards,
Ralph.

TheAsterisk!

#85 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I've just upgraded my guest Puppy VM to Slacko 531, from Puppy 431. Guest additions (on VBox 4.1.8 ) work- mostly. To resize the display, I have to resize the VM window, then restart X on the guest, but it will then adjust itself just as it should.

I'll see if I can't make a dot-pet of the guest additions. If it works well, I might make guest additions for other Puppy versions, too.

See you all in a bit...

EDIT: Well, X is falling apart on the VM a little more each time I boot it. Strike that idea. I'll try a few other things, but- as usual- no guarantees. :?

michaellowe

Win XP Pro Black Ed install issue in Virtual box 4.0.0

#86 Post by michaellowe »

Hello, this has been a source of much frustration.
I want to be able to run Win XP Pro in Virtual Box 4.0.0 as I have this loaded as an sfs on the fly in Puppy 5.2.5 which as I understand is supposed to help relieve the memory a little?
Everything went smoothly up until the installation of the win xp pro.
in the VM please find attached a .png file: a screen shot of the message I get, something to do with can't access and lock memory? Have you come across this before? i have also attached a log file of the installation if it may help shed some light into the probem I am faced with. please pay particular attention to line 702 through to line 715 in the log file: vbox.zip which sums up what was going on at the time of the error message
I have the kernelsource sfs and the lupu_devx525.sfs required for my version of puppy loaded as instructed in the vbox usermanual so I can't see why i am getting this error message, what am I missing?Just checked the VBox log and the host ram is 487mb ram available is 232mb
Please help
Kind Regards
M
Attachments
VBox.zip
(61.64 KiB) Downloaded 589 times

shinobar

Re: Win XP Pro Black Ed install issue in Virtual box 4.0.0

#87 Post by shinobar »

michaellowe wrote:Everything went smoothly up until the installation of the win xp pro.
in the VM please find attached a .png file: a screen shot of the message I get, something to do with can't access and lock memory?
You can change 'Default Machine Folder' to /mnt/home/VirtualBox or somewhere.
The setting is at VirtualBox menubar, File>>Preferences>>General.

See also:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62110
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

sebus

#88 Post by sebus »

TheAsterisk!, not that I complain, but you are not interested in x64?

sebus

TheAsterisk!

#89 Post by TheAsterisk! »

sebus wrote:TheAsterisk!, not that I complain, but you are not interested in x64?

sebus
Oh, I am interested in 64-bit, but in a way that doesn't much help, as I have no access to any 64-bit machines on which to create the necessary packages! :oops: Alas, I've yet to receive a 64-bit monster for Curbside Christmas!

That being said...

I've been in forum-based correspondence with TaZoC, who makes the puplet "Lighthouse Pup," which I believe is 64-bit, and apparently he's developed some sort of scheme in LHP whereby users can slickly download and install the latest VirtualBox release from Oracle's site, with prepared scripts handling the messy details. If I can figure out what's going on in that, once I have a chance to dissect it (TaZoC hasn't sent me the scripts yet, as far as I know), I'll see what I can do about putting a solution up in this thread.

The issue, of course, would be that I can't test it, so we'll see what happens as it comes up. Keep your fingers crossed, though!

TheAsterisk!

#90 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I'm going to be eliminating some of the redundant VirtualBox packages tonight and tomorrow. All the version 4.1.8 and 3.x.x packages will be left alone, as will the dot-pets that compile their drivers upon installation, but the other ones are subject to my discretion, and may be cut out if the same Puppy has a newer package available.

As always, if you need an older package for some reason, let me know within the next few weeks. I'll keep some local copies around for at least a little while, just in case.

sebus

#91 Post by sebus »

Yes, LHP is 64-bit (very nice) and it does have VB "support"

Ofcourse on FD is not much of a problem to just compile the VB (I suppose not every user wants to do it)

sebus

TheAsterisk!

#92 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I've gone through and removed old VBox packages from my host. I've also decided that since it didn't generate any issues that I'm aware of, the newer package organization, with VBox itself separate from Puppy version-specific drivers, is the way ahead. The more ordinary packages (combined VBox and drivers) have been removed for both VBox 4.1.6 and 4.1.8. (That tidying-up did away with over 770 MB of redundant packages, all said and done.)

If anybody needs a copy for reference or any other reason, you can either send me a message or post a request for it. Otherwise, simply combining the "base" dot-pet and the drivers dot-pet for your Puppy will also produce more or less the same package, if you know how to do that.

Anyway, if any of my rearranging the furniture caused anybody any trouble, all things should be settled now, so go ahead and hit that refresh button or try it again!

TheAsterisk!

#93 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Added a drivers package for Slacko 5.3.2.6 with kernel version "3.1.10-slacko_4gU"

Slacko 5326 is a beta/preview release. Use it only if you want a sneak peak ahead, or want to help test the new version. Do not yet use that Puppy version if you want a stable, official release.

Icyos was trying to get VBox up and running on 5324. I couldn't find any kernel sources or devx SFS for 5324, but could find it for 5326, so I made a package.

Note that this package is not for the PAE version of that release.

CatDude

#94 Post by CatDude »

Hello TheAsterisk!
TheAsterisk! wrote:...I couldn't find any kernel sources or devx SFS for 5324....
You can find them here
Just do as 01micko said in this thread
and rename devx_slacko_5.3.2.1.sfs to devx_slacko_5.3.2.4.sfs

Hope this helps
Catdude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

TheAsterisk!

#95 Post by TheAsterisk! »

CatDude wrote:Hello TheAsterisk!
TheAsterisk! wrote:...I couldn't find any kernel sources or devx SFS for 5324....
You can find them here
Just do as 01micko said in this thread
and rename devx_slacko_5.3.2.1.sfs to devx_slacko_5.3.2.4.sfs

Hope this helps
Catdude
Yes, CatDude, that does help! Sometimes, I feel like I can't read at all. :oops: Thanks for the help!

I guess the version numbers (5321 versus 5324) and my impatience threw me off on the first go.

I suppose I'll make a package for that version as well, then!

EDIT: Package added for Slacko 5324.

TheAsterisk!

#96 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Quick note regarding TaZoC and the scripts from LHP for installing 64-bit VBox:

Apparently, TaZoC is not well. (See this post.) I wasn't aware of that, but it would explain why I haven't heard from him.

Sorry to finally hear/read about that, TaZoC. Hope you can recover and get better soon.

Given that news, though, I think I'll try to download a few versions of LHP, and though I can't run the 64-bit versions on my systems, I can at least try to dig out the relevant scripts, etc., from the ISO images or packages, as the case may be. Maybe someone else can make something of them, or maybe they might even work as they are.

TheAsterisk!

#97 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Updated to VirtualBox version 4.1.10.

More packages should be coming either later today or tomorrow, but the official, stable Puppy releases already have packages uploaded.

shinobar

virtualbox-4.1.10.sfs

#98 Post by shinobar »

virtualbox-4.1.10.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid Puppy and Slacko.
Does not support 64-bit nor old Puppy's before 4.3.1.
Available from http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

If you have ever installed another or older virtualbox PET/SFS and trying new, remove old ones and delete '/lib/modules/*/misc/vbox*.ko', /opt/VirtualBox, if they are exists, before loading the new.

virtualbox-4.1.10.sfs has kernel modules for:
2.6.32-smp
2.6.32-uni
3.1.10-slacko_4gA
3.1.10-slacko_paeA
3.1.10-dpup
3.2.11-dpup
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

TheAsterisk!

#99 Post by TheAsterisk! »

UPDATED to version 4.1.12.

I've made packages for the new Wary and Racy 530/5.3 releases, but have not yet built packages for the older Wary/Racy 522 versions. Let me know if anyone wants those.

Master_wrong

#100 Post by Master_wrong »

Thanks asterisk...

also here is the vbox addition and extension pack.
extension pack can be installed from terminal using virtualbox,
ie:
$virtualbox virtualbox.extension.pack.files

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/
Cluster-Pup v.2-Puppy Beowulf Cluster
[url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=499199#499199[/url]