Log on to Windows PC over your LAN from Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gcmartin

Log on to Windows PC over your LAN from Puppy

#1 Post by gcmartin »

One Puppy member asks how to assist a family member who has 2 Windows computers. The need is to sit at one computer and log onto the other computer. The member also has Puppy Linux on his LAN as well.

This a starter for anyone who hasn't done this or does not know how or where to start.

Microsoft has had this feature available in its OSes for over 15 years. Its easy.

Let's use XP as an example. It has a program called Remote Administration. Accessing this you will tell the PC that it should allow a request for desktop access.

When a request comes in, it will allow a user with proper ID and password to gain a complete Windows desktop (with multimedia and USB controls) at the requester's PC just as if they were sitting at the console of the PC providing Remote Administration.

There is a dearth of information on the internet on how to do this on your local LANs.

Further, should you want to do this over the WAN, it can be done, easily, by opening port 3389 router of the target PC's LAN and the requester will get passage to the target PC for sign-in, in exactly the same way as it happens on a local LAN.

Finally, for those who don't know, this traffic is "compressed and encrypted" and runs as fast over the WAN (internet) as it does over the LAN.

Puppy (and most Linux distros) has a PET that has been around for years which knows how to do a very similar service. I believe that it comes standard in some PUPs. And, that PET goes further in that it will also connect to VNC hosts, as well.

Questions, comments, or updates can be added to this thread.

Hope this helps
Attachments
Remote Access.PNG
How Remote Connections Work to a Microsoft host
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 679 times

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Anticipating questions
I believe that Microsoft wrote Apple's client for them. The Linux client is derived and written by a gentleman so long ago that I cannot remember his name. But, it has not been advanced for quite a long period of time.

The Linux client is perfectly capable for desktop navigation. But, although youwill see video, the audio feed hasn't been implemented. When I last spoke with the author 5+ years ago he was willing to assist some young developer in adding that as well as USB support (which is covered by protocol)., To my knowledge, that is its several shortcomings.

But, the Linux client and Apple client are as capable at Windows navigation as the Microsoft client.

Hope this helps

gcmartin

Using HELP in Microsoft for Remote Assistance needs

#3 Post by gcmartin »

On your desktop do the following from MY computer
Attachments
Remote Assistance in XP.png
Open My Computer and fill in the Searchbox
(94.41 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
Remote Assistance Instructions.png
The rest is easy for setting this PC up for accessing it from another PC
(186.43 KiB) Downloaded 640 times

gcmartin

Interested in the LINUX RDP client that can be used

#4 Post by gcmartin »

A full Linux Client that is suppose to provide equivalent functionality of what you get from using RDP on a Windows/MACs PC is discussed here!The native Linux build does NOT support some key features such as audio, USB, and other stuff. The community would benefit should we had a Puppy version.

Maybe some member can contribute a build for us.

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Found it! Most Widely used Linux version of Microsof client

#5 Post by gcmartin »

The prevailing Linux client which allows connection to a Microsoft host is one that ships in many Linux distros. It is TScleint Although it has shourtcomings in multimedai & USB support, it is a stable useful facility for any who have need.

screenshot ===> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tscli ... enshot.png

Hope this helps