Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tman

#721 Post by Tman »

pemasu wrote: Tman....thank you....do you mind if I upload your Thunar to the exprimo repo ?
By all means, upload whatever you wish.

Tman

#722 Post by Tman »

pemasu wrote:I hope I can implement in the future the improvements Jemimah has done to the PPM. I really think that is the way to go. I have asked already from Jemimah what it would require to get her improvements to work in Dpup Exprimo. The dependency handling is far better in Saluki.
It would help if you could get a PPM-saluki pet from Jemimah - otherwise, you'd need to track down all of the needed files in Saluki - hopefully, everything needed would be in /usr/local/petget. Since Jemimah's version already has dependency-handling code built-in, you would only need to change the code that checks for the saluki repo and replace it with the exprimo repo. ( and the code for the location of your sfs files).
I might be able to help you with this, but from analyzing jpeps code of gnewpet, I know that he understands shell scripts better than I..so he would be a better candidate.

The tedius part would be repackaging all of your dpup pets to include the needed dependencies in the pet.specs file.

pemasu

#723 Post by pemasu »

Jemimah posted that she will download latest Exprimo and she will take a look.
So...lets see.....

jpeps

#724 Post by jpeps »

pemasu wrote:Jemimah posted that she will download latest Exprimo and she will take a look.
So...lets see.....
Maybe I'm not understanding, but I don't see how anyone can determine what the needed deps are while downloading binaries from the debian repository. If I compile something in exprimo, I can try it after pfix-ram.

The main complaint I see, is that many people want everything to work after clicking on something. I don't see that ever happening in a small distro. Try playing with keepnotes, for example. Load all the deps, and then you need pygtk. Version 2.6.1 compiles in Slacko, but not in exprimo. The package works (almost) in exprimo, but you have to copy pygtk files to a different folder. The point is, how much can be automated by the PPM without having your own database where everything is compiled and checked in your own environment ? (which thus defeats the beauty of woof)

pemasu

#725 Post by pemasu »

Jemimah has improved dependency checking for pets. When you download app pet which has dependencies....it checks after installation the dependencies which are unmet...then it informs it and asks if you want to download them...if yes...then it launches the PPM again and downloads and installs....and then again...
It also informs if the pet will overwrite existing files and gives you possiblity to not install it. At least you see what files will be overwritten.

About debs...I dont know how much it will benefit them.

Anyway...I have got frequently questions...what I need to download to get abiword or gnumeric working.

Jemimah improvements handle them better...when I update my pet.specs files.

I am not going after perfect package manager. Just better PPM. I have now several package manager for different needs. If I want the whole lot of debs to be inspected...I use GonGetIt.

jpeps

#726 Post by jpeps »

pemasu wrote: It also informs if the pet will overwrite existing files and gives you possiblity to not install it. At least you see what files will be overwritten.
That would certainly help, although I think that downloading them first and actually running a file check for each package is the only way to prevent clobbering. Petcheck does that (offering the option to install without the duplicated files).
Last edited by jpeps on Mon 12 Mar 2012, 06:28, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#727 Post by pemasu »

jpeps. Yes...I know of your Petcheck...have checked it. You have many functional utilitiy apps.
Thank you of them.

jpeps

#728 Post by jpeps »

Pemasu, it's "us" that need to be thanking you.

I just installed epdfview, so the process involved changing the menu categories and removing the "%f" following the exec so it shows up and loads from the menu. The PPM, of course, doesn't know how to adapt the debs to puppy, although it does a great job of removing the docs & creating the package.

FWIW/ evince raises havoc with my computer. It doesn't work with the printer, and starts loading processes like pdftops that freeze up the OS, requiring a reboot. I tried several times, and it always managed to break cups, so that it wouldn't work with anything else either. Evince files are 270K, while epdfview is 72K. (I haven't had much luck with GNOME anything...).

pemasu

#729 Post by pemasu »

I have recompiled 3.1.10 kernel with latest aufs3-3.1and cleaned the updated firmwares which I provided to the woof2. There was couple of unneeded duplicates still.

It seems that I got PPM behaving. I believe there was something weird in my DISTRO_PET_REPOS file. When I copied from other puppy the repo url`s and emptied the file from possible blank rows....the pet_packages-common and no-arch repos works now. Not sure what was wrong but I hope it behaves with next test build also.

I have also created the pet_packages-dpup database file...with over 450 packages and that repo is also available. There are some useful apps, but mostly stuff for base distro.

I have fixed abiword and gnumeric depencies and now you should get info of missing packages for them and they are surely now available.

Aufs3 had bug which is probably now fixed. I also compiled latest aufs3-util which I use.

All Radky`s new versions are updated, also YAD is latest. Pburn has been updated...latest woof of course which Barry used for his latest Racy today. Couple of jpep`s utility apps added like desktop-restore which replaces previous app and Petcheck. Ppackmanager will be fixed also.

Pupsaveconfig and Firstrun has been updated.

Jemimah`s improved dependency checking is still somewhere in the future....

I will cook the new version again tomorrow...couple of fixes were needed.

jemimah

#730 Post by jemimah »

pemasu wrote:Jemimah posted that she will download latest Exprimo and she will take a look.
So...lets see.....
I simplified the ppm code in places for saluki, since I don't need compat repos. So I will have to go back and make sure it would work with dpup.

I am in corporate training this week which really wipes me out so I will probably be able to work on it next week.

pemasu

#731 Post by pemasu »

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10 has been uploaded. Successor of 5.X.13.6. The naming now reflects the kernel used.
Kernel 3.1.10 has been recompiled with fixed aufs-3.1 and fixed aufs-3.0-util has been used. The upgrade is highly recommeded. I will keep this kernel for now on...if there doesnt come more important fixes.
Slacko has returned to the kernel 3.1.10 with aufs3 so I can follow the kernel and drivers discussion from Slacko thread also...and possible problems with aufs3 since we use now same git version.

Firmwares have been updated so that it reflects my previous work for 3.X kernels.

I have included working Packages-puppy-dpup-official. The repo existed but database needed to be recreated, done. Ppackmanager database files have been updated to those which I have included.

Applications have been updated. Newbie is PupMenu which you find from...Menu.
Especially there are new Puppy Utility apps from Jpeps and Radky`s Puppy Application family has been upadated to the latest. Pburn, mtPaint and Pmusic has been updated to the latest versions.

The booting is now: DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='no' which means no straight to X. Shinobar fixed the locale prompt when XORG_AUTO=yes but this decision is from feedback of booting to black desktop with this choice. There are several reports of wrong resolution and black screen in Saluki, Slacko and sometimes also with Dpup. Now people can change the graphics defaults.

Shinobar`s work is highly appreciated and I will use DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='yes' with my experimental thread with next 3.2.9 kernel version so that his work can get feedback that way.

The Firstrun screen is still there when you boot to the X. I noticed that there is no time zone choice when you boot with DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='no' at console state and I have to change my time zone asap...otherwise I get trouble when developing.

I have used the latest woof. In the exprimo repo are some new apps. Pidgin-2.10.1 for example.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSque ... imo5X3110/

Kernel sources: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... ixed-aufs/

James C

#732 Post by James C »

Tried an upgrade on my frugal install from 5.X.13.6 to 5.X.3.1.10.Strangely enough, Exprimo didn't pause and confirm the upgrade as is typical but now that I think about it I guess 5.X.3 is considered smaller than 5.X.13 thus not an upgrade.
Anyway, basically only had to reset the icons back to "minimal" everything else appears to be fine.

# report-video
Dpup Exprimo, version 5.X.3.1.10 on Tue 13 Mar 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: is

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1033MB (201MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 13 Mar 2012 08:23:52 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

jpeps

#733 Post by jpeps »

Pemasu, desktop-restore includes a pinstall to add "desktop-restore -b" to rc.shutdown. Without a backup, running it from the menu won't do anything.

James C

#734 Post by James C »

Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10 live pfix=ram on a little newer hardware.As expected, everything working on initial boot.

# report-video
Dpup Exprimo, version 5.X.3.1.10 on Wed 14 Mar 2012

Chip description:
d.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nv

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1368x768 pixels (414x232 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 2853MB (188MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 14 Mar 2012 12:49:27 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1368x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 2853932 538960 2314972 0 64880
-/+ buffers: 474080 2379852
Swap: 0 0 0

# uname -r
3.1.10-dpup

Looks really good.

pemasu

#735 Post by pemasu »

Thank you jpeps. I didnt notice that. Yeah...pinstall.sh scripts are not woof compliant straight. They need to be executed in root directory of woof buildind folder, called rootfs-complete. 01micko has posted couple of times generic woof platform checking. But the input seems to be manual so I assume I can add the desktop-restore -b to the rc.shutdown.
I think it is handy so that sfs installs dont screw the desktop.

Radky has posted some minor bugs with his apps and exprimo and also improvement to the jwm configuration menu entry...it will have scrollable bar. I start to fix these bugs.

jpeps

#736 Post by jpeps »

weird....if you use a previous squeezesave, it will load the old /usr/local/petget directory with the old pkg_chooser.sh file. The new file has had some major surgery (shinobar's additions removed, etc.). I wonder why this directory is in /usr/local/
Last edited by jpeps on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

#737 Post by jpeps »

double post

pemasu

#738 Post by pemasu »

jpeps....öööö ?
petget folder is and should be in /usr/local.....as far as I know.
Bugs using old savefile are ordinary stuff. I dont ever use old savefile.

/usr/local/petget probably was Shinobars version in previous build. But I do like Ziggy UI with PPM. I dont have problems with usb booting..installing using PPM and they still are there when I reboot. So...I want to test pure woof stock /usr/local/petget content.

Also for Jemimah it would be better to test the dpup PPM improvements when he can compare pure woof /usr/local/petget content.

Yeah. Old savefile surely has some interesting effects since some core scripts has been changed due to woof changes and because I have changed the used package. The end result can be somewhat weird.

pemasu

#739 Post by pemasu »

Main focus with this update is to provide stable kernel and stable aufs and as wide wireless support as this kernel offer.
I will tune the usability next.

peebee

#740 Post by peebee »

Hi pemasu

Pristine frugal manual install to my HP550 with Intel graphics and ntfs formatted hdd.

When I choose "Probe" on initial bootup I get a black screen however if I press "Return" then booting continues to a working desktop....

So I surmise that a question is being asked (probably the 16/24 bit question) but is not being displayed...

BTW - I hope to upload the latest Broadcom-STA wl driver for Dpup Exprimo shortly.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64