Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
firak

Tribler - not working for me

#1701 Post by firak »

Tribler - not working for me

I youst intall a fresh saluki 14 for tryng trlibler.

Tested few times on fresh install.
I attach a sceewnshot of the insallation of tribler.

Any suggestion to make tribler working?

(Al the best to jamiah - saluki seems very nice and faster than puppy528 and macup528 that i'm using)
Hrdwr - eepc 1215p atom 12"

Tman

#1702 Post by Tman »

Geoffrey wrote:
Tman wrote: I have created an Nvidia pet in Saluki-13.
I tried this with a 8600 GT, it gave me twice the frame rate 40000 in 5 seconds than did my manual install of the driver, but it was unstable and crashed the system, :? I tried twice to get it too work, but gave up in preference to a manual installation.
Geoffery, were you running glxgears when it crashed or were you running something else? Did you try installing the driver in a fresh savefile?
Hmmm.. I don't know what the problem could be. I compiled it on an AMD Athlon dual-core, and am wondering if it matters what cpu one compiles it on. I will do some experimenting to see if I can figure out the problem.
[url=http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/custom_search_html-1.1.pet]Custom Puppy Linux search page[/url]

jim3630

#1703 Post by jim3630 »

Sage wrote:
I don't tell xorg what resolution to pick. Automatic desktop means it's luck of the draw.
Thanks for putting that straight. Curious that it's not a problem with others? Any chance of a cheat code workaround? Or is there an HW fix? Newish (ie newer than Cirrus Logic!) nV cards would seem to be an issue? Think I've read similar problems previously that were eventually circumvented?
[Wales 24 Italy 3]
[Ireland 32 Scotland 14]
sage,

here is step by step install of puppy on old hardware including workaround pfix=nox

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29356

Tman

#1704 Post by Tman »

I installed Saluki 14 on a Pentium-4 about half and hour ago (no Nvidia card on this one).

The clock is an hour ahead, how to I change the time in xfce?

Unfortunately, I am still getting the following error message in Midori:

Code: Select all

MozPlugger: Error: Failed to execute m4.
Mozplugger: M4 parsing of config generated error
This error is repeatable with the following steps:
1) type midori in the console
2) in Midori's address bar, type murga linux forum and press enter
3) click on the appropriate link that takes you to the murga forum. For me, it was the 2nd link.

Installing Pemasu's mozplugger pet still doesn't resolve the issue. (thanks for trying, Pemasu)

On the positive side, Midori 0.4.4 does seem to be more stable; it hasn't crashed on me so far, and I just discovered that it handles HTML5..nice!!

jemimah

Re: Tribler - not working for me

#1705 Post by jemimah »

firak wrote:Tribler - not working for me

I youst intall a fresh saluki 14 for tryng trlibler.

Tested few times on fresh install.
I attach a sceewnshot of the insallation of tribler.

Any suggestion to make tribler working?

(Al the best to jamiah - saluki seems very nice and faster than puppy528 and macup528 that i'm using)
Hrdwr - eepc 1215p atom 12"
I fixed a problem with the python pet. Please uninstall Python then install the new version from the PPM.

jemimah

#1706 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:I installed Saluki 14 on a Pentium-4 about half and hour ago (no Nvidia card on this one).

The clock is an hour ahead, how to I change the time in xfce?

Unfortunately, I am still getting the following error message in Midori:

3) click on the appropriate link that takes you to the murga forum. For me, it was the 2nd link.

Installing Pemasu's mozplugger pet still doesn't resolve the issue. (thanks for trying, Pemasu)

On the positive side, Midori 0.4.4 does seem to be more stable; it hasn't crashed on me so far, and I just discovered that it handles HTML5..nice!!
Do you get this with pfix=ram. I can't reproduce it. What happens if you run m4 in the terminal?

Tman

#1707 Post by Tman »

jemimah wrote: Do you get this with pfix=ram. I can't reproduce it. What happens if you run m4 in the terminal?
Yes, it happens for me in pfix=ram mode as well.
My frugals pups are installed in a linux partition, not an ntfs partition. This one is using a .2fs saved file.

When I type m4 in the terminal, I get

bash: m4: command not found.
Nevermind about the clock settings..I figured out how to change the time.

I should add that when I ran the benchmark test on the following site, Saluki froze and I could not even quit using CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE..
http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/

Billtoo

#1708 Post by Billtoo »

Tman wrote: I should add that when I ran the benchmark test on the following site, Saluki froze and I could not even quit using CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE..
Here's firefox 11 beta7 running in Saluki
Attachments
image3.jpg
(115.91 KiB) Downloaded 672 times

Tman

#1709 Post by Tman »

Thanks Billtoo,

I should have mentioned that I was trying to do the browser benchmark test in Midori.

I have now deleted Saluki frugal install and created a full-install on an ext3 filesystem. The benchmark still froze, but I could eventually get out of it this time.

James C

#1710 Post by James C »

With the understanding that hardware plays a big part in the Peacekeeper score, and because I'm bored, SeaMonkey 2.72/Saluki 014 on the old p4.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(111.67 KiB) Downloaded 626 times

Tman

#1711 Post by Tman »

Maybe it froze for me becuase my glxgears numbers are so low.

371 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.057 FPS
375 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.000 FPS
375 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.998 FPS
I will search the repo for an xorg-high or mesa pet and try again if I find it.

pemasu

#1712 Post by pemasu »

Or benchmark with something else than Midori.

Tman

#1713 Post by Tman »

Firefox 7.0.1 benchmarks fine in Saluki without additional video drivers.
I wanted to do the test in Midori becuase I wanted to compare the results with other browsers...ah well.

Geoffrey

#1714 Post by Geoffrey »

Tman wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
Tman wrote: I have created an Nvidia pet in Saluki-13.
I tried this with a 8600 GT, it gave me twice the frame rate 40000 in 5 seconds than did my manual install of the driver, but it was unstable and crashed the system, :? I tried twice to get it too work, but gave up in preference to a manual installation.
Geoffery, were you running glxgears when it crashed or were you running something else? Did you try installing the driver in a fresh savefile?
Hmmm.. I don't know what the problem could be. I compiled it on an AMD Athlon dual-core, and am wondering if it matters what cpu one compiles it on. I will do some experimenting to see if I can figure out the problem.
Tman,

Yeah, it was a fresh install, glxgears wasn't running at the time, I have compiz and cairo dock working, when it froze I was moving a compiz wobbly window and turning the power off was the only option left for me.

I'm now using NVIDIA-Linux-x86-209.10.run, I will have to try 209.20 manually installed, a friend of mine tried the pet, but his experience with it was a slower frame rate than he previously had :?,
a manual install of NVIDIA-Linux-x86-209.20.run yield a frame rate better than Ubuntu could offer while running WoW in Wine 1.4, strange.

Oh the difference when I do a install is I don't select nvidia in the xorgwizard choose, but when I installed the pet package I did, normally
I just probe select the res and xwin, this could be a factor, I'll test it some more, this time keeping a record of outcomes to compare.

James C

#1715 Post by James C »

Just tried Peacekeeper in Midori ...... got about halfway through before Saluki froze up. Running the Nvidia driver and fairly good numbers from glxgears.
Just for comparison purposes, just ran Peacekepper on Windows 7 and Chrome ....scored 2600.

Tman

#1716 Post by Tman »

Geoffery,

I am not sure if this is a factor or not, but I am curious; what cpu do you have? And I always choose the Nvidia driver manually, after I install the pet; Xorgwizard sometimes chooses the wrong driver.

Thanks James..I guess it's a Midori thing. Okay I'll stop complaining about Midori now, lest I incur someone's wrath.. yikes!

Geoffrey

#1717 Post by Geoffrey »

Tman wrote:Unfortunately, I am still getting the following error message in Midori:

I tried this and get no errors at all with Midori 0.4.4, works fine, seems stable, yeah HTML5 works ok, plays webm video.
mavrothal wrote: installed Midori 4.4 over 4.3 and now is stable in a number of sites that was crashing before.
However looks like I can not add new bookmarks. Adding them only shows in the side panel but not in the menu, and after restarting midori they are gone from there too.
Is it just me?

Edit Changed the ~/.config/midori/* permissions from 644 to 664 and now it behaves. eg sticks on restart but only shows in the menus after restart Confused
It worked ok for me out of the box, bookmarks show in all the right places and stick

Geoffrey

#1718 Post by Geoffrey »

Tman wrote:Geoffery,

I am not sure if this is a factor or not, but I am curious; what cpu do you have? And I always choose the Nvidia driver manually, after I install the pet; Xorgwizard sometimes chooses the wrong driver.

Thanks James..I guess it's a Midori thing. Okay I'll stop complaining about Midori now, lest I incur someone's wrath.. yikes!
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ : 2310.33MHz

VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT]
-OpenGL-
Vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer : GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
Version : 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10
Direct Rendering : Yes

glxgears
22829 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4565.664 FPS
23525 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4703.248 FPS
23963 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4792.497 FPS
23523 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4704.451 FPS

I need to try the 290.20 driver to compare

jemimah

#1719 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:
jemimah wrote: Do you get this with pfix=ram. I can't reproduce it. What happens if you run m4 in the terminal?
Yes, it happens for me in pfix=ram mode as well.
My frugals pups are installed in a linux partition, not an ntfs partition. This one is using a .2fs saved file.

When I type m4 in the terminal, I get

bash: m4: command not found.
Nevermind about the clock settings..I figured out how to change the time.

I should add that when I ran the benchmark test on the following site, Saluki froze and I could not even quit using CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE..
Ah, I bet m4 is in the devx. Got it.

jemimah

#1720 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:Maybe it froze for me becuase my glxgears numbers are so low.

371 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.057 FPS
375 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.998 FPS
I will search the repo for an xorg-high or mesa pet and try again if I find it.
mesa/xorg-high is installed by default.