Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sszindian

3.2.9 Kernel & Old Box

#121 Post by sszindian »

Further testing... this time on my old T22 IBM Notebook, 512 MB RAM.

Exprimo with the 3.2.9 kernel works flawlessly on everything I tried so far... and quiet fast I may say!!!

I guess this finally clears the old misunderstanding that older computers require older kernels! You couild not want for a 'now, nicer Notebbook' than this old T22 has ever displayed throughout its past life... amazing! Posting from the T22 here now.

Thanks pemasu for a truly unique program for old boxes.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

sszindian

gnumeric

#122 Post by sszindian »

Test: Package Install - Installing a package that wasn't included in Exprimo 3.2.9

gnumeric-1.10.13-dpup.pet... from your Official Exprimo pets at Smokey01 does not seem to work? Is there a dependency package or something else needed?

Downloads and installs on systems OK putting a topic in the Business area on the menu, but won't run.

Downloaded and tried to install (from & on) two-differant computers, same problem.

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#123 Post by pemasu »

You will need goffice also. If you launch gnumeric in console...you will see what is missing. I have been lazy with adding needed dependencies to the pet.specs. I will do so in the future. I have learned the lesson.

jim3630

Re: gnumeric

#124 Post by jim3630 »

sszindian wrote:Test: Package Install - Installing a package that wasn't included in Exprimo 3.2.9

gnumeric-1.10.13-dpup.pet... from your Official Exprimo pets at Smokey01 does not seem to work? Is there a dependency package or something else needed?

Downloads and installs on systems OK putting a topic in the Business area on the menu, but won't run.

Downloaded and tried to install (from & on) two-differant computers, same problem.

>>>---Indian------>
hi sszindian you can tell which dependencies are missing by typing gnumeric in console. good luck.

pemasu

#125 Post by pemasu »

LibreOffice-3.5.0-en_US.pet has been uploaded to the exprimo repo. It has rox left and right clicks included.
I found the reason why LibreOffice pets created from get_libreoffice sfs does not update the menu. There is one broken symlink which causes it. I found the reason when I launched the pet installation from console with petget command. The error was seen that way. Removing that broken symlink and everything was ok.

shinobar

Firstrun-1.9.9

#126 Post by shinobar »

Firstrun-1.9.9, test release, intended to be compatible with the recent woof.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58312

pemasu

#127 Post by pemasu »

Thank you. Shinobar. I will test this in next test build of exprimo. I need to recompile the kernel also. Aufs 3.2 has new fixed aufs version which should address aufs hanging problem.

recobayu

libreoffice 3.5.0

#128 Post by recobayu »

hi pemasu, libreoffice 3.5.0 can't show full screen on writer.
but i like this interface, it's like ms office 2010 :D

pemasu

#129 Post by pemasu »

I am afraid it is jwm bug again.

sszindian

Gnumeric

#130 Post by sszindian »

sszindian wrote:

pemasu wrote:

You will need goffice also. If you launch gnumeric in console...you will see what is missing. I have been lazy with adding needed dependencies to the pet.specs. I will do so in the future. I have learned the lesson.
-----------------------------------------------------

jim3630 wrote:

hi sszindian you can tell which dependencies are missing by typing gnumeric in console. good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------

sszindian found:

libgoffice-0.8.so.8 is the missing lib needed... however... sszindian chopped down all the trees in forest sending up smoke signals to Internet but... no smoke signals returned !!!! out of trees :cry:

Where do I download this pet :?:

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#132 Post by pemasu »

I have checked and reuploaded the gnumeric-goffice-libgsf to the exprimo repo.

Now the dependency checking informs the needed dependencies and you can install them all straight when you click the examine dependencies. It also informs the need of libxml which is included but the package manager probably checks the dependencies from debian-main database file and that is the reason of that misinformation.

Anyway...gnumeric-goffice-libgsf are now repackaged in exprimo repo with dependencies added to the pet.specs.

sszindian

liboffice

#133 Post by sszindian »

jpeps:
Thanks for that lead, wow there are a ton of various liboffice files available there but could not locate that specific one... tried several, was not able to get any to work.

pemasu:
I will try the new Gnumeric upload you made later today... hopefully that does the trick! Hmmm... I am going to install the latest Ambiword in Exprimo hope we don't run into the same problem?

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#134 Post by pemasu »

Abiword needs stuff also, but there is now dependency checking.
I wonder why you dont use the ready made abiword-gnumeric-goffice sfs. I have even 2 different versions in repo.
Just click the Sfs Apps Loader icon and choose the version. Both should work, though I dont use them.

sszindian

Testing

#135 Post by sszindian »

Well... this was interesting.....

Did a complete update on the PPM...

Reloaded PPM went to Exprimo packages... Gnumeric was NO LONGER THERE... in any heading! and I had already deleted the previous Exprimo from my system in hopes of a fresh new one... bummer...

Checked Smokey01 pemasu's area, it was still available there but getting it there would not have allowed me to install the dependencies needed...

Back to PPM looked in a few other areas... in 'Puppy 5 PPM' there was a gnumeric_Lucid52-0 I figured what the heck, I'll try it. Downloaded the .pet, installed it and guess what... 'Gnumeric Works Without installing any dependencies in Exprimo.'

Also installed Ambiword from Smokey01 pemasu area and that worked without a problem.

I doubt newbees will go through a procedure like the Gnumeric one, they will just 'shelf the program and forget about it and go one to something that workes OOTB for them'.

I have encountered problems like (and similiar) to this with various Puppy Distro's and yes... it's a problem!

It appears to me that Puppy Is Starting To 'Run Wild' as all the new developments are taking place, and a more-structured system is a must for the future if Puppy is to servive and attract new users.

After all this testing I have come to the conclusion that possibly Puppy Distro's should be compiled with just the necessary programs to get it going and let the user install the programs from a 'WELL MANAGED - ALL PROGRAMS WORK - WITH DEPENDENCIES INCLUDED' PPM themselves!

This would make the avarage Puppy much much smaller for downloading and yet have available everything the user may want or need in the 'WELL MANAGED' PPM plus Testers would have a much easier job and probably be able to pinpoint problems a lot easier.

If any other Testers have any thoughts on this subject, pleas make them known or maybe better yet Testers should start a Forum Thread of their own on this subject where developers could better find solutions after all, the Tester is really the backbone of the success or failure of a version are they not?

>>>---Indian------>

PS: pemasu: Yes I am aware of those other sfs files however... I am Testing For You!!! so that you can have a better distro.... That's why I dig into the complex areas... As far a using a Puppy, I have my own distro for everyday use...

jpeps

#136 Post by jpeps »

Strange...I went to the PPM and typed in gnumeric and the packages came right up.

I downloaded libgoffice from the posted debian link, and it includes the requested lib:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/libgoffice-0.8.so.8
/usr/lib/libgoffice-0.8.so.8.0.17

pemasu

#137 Post by pemasu »

5.X.3.2.9 series will go through kernel recompile with latest aufs 3.2 version and aufs3-util latest version. It will be soon in table.
PPM will be updated at the same time.
There might be improvements coming to the PPM usage.
Yeah. Puppy land is somewhat disorganized. Thats why I like it. And at least I try to respond to the feedback.

sszindian

Picture Slideshow

#138 Post by sszindian »

jpeps: I didn't type-in for Gnumeric, just looked in regular 'Business' topic (and all the rest).

pemasu: You're doing a fine job with Exprimo (and helping all the other distro's also... hang in there!)
--------------------------------------------------------

Slideshow-1.0.pet from:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... e7e77c0f40

Works fine in Exprimo.

After installing the .pet, you can right/click on the slideshow file icon that installs itself in root.
(example: slideshow-1.png)

Open it as 'text' (or with Geany) and modify the code to:
(example: slideshow-2.png) where 'root/Pictures' can be any file you choose where you have your pictures stored. (Don't forget to SAVE the modification)

The '10' on that line can also be changed to a timing for the next picture to be displayed... the original code is a '5' (after installation) which I found to be to fast.

ESC (Escape) Key gets you back to your desktop.

I have well over 200 pictures with various extensions (.jpg, .pnm, etc.,)in my Pictures Folder and Slideshow doesn't seem to mind a bit.

As I say, it works very nice but if someone could modify it to work automatically when your screen goes blank after 10-minutes, and de-activate when the mouse (or a key) is moved or pressed, that would even be better?

(Slideshow-1.0.pet works also in Racy, Luci-THD)

Might be a good one for the PPM?

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
slideshow-1.png
(3.75 KiB) Downloaded 911 times
slideshow-2.png
(5.56 KiB) Downloaded 323 times

pemasu

#139 Post by pemasu »

Operating System: Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.2.11
Desktop Window Manager: JWM vsvn-574
Desktop Start: xwin jwm

Kernel Release: 3.2.11-dpup
Build Date: Sat Mar 17 20:16:45 EET 2012
OS Support: GNU/Linux
Architecture: i686
SMP Enabled: Yes
This one needs aufs-util 3.2 latest git still. Will do tomorrow and post the 3.2.11 kernel Dpup Exprimo tomorrow.

James C

#140 Post by James C »

Might as well keep up to date ....... ready to do some testing....... :)