Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 29 Jul 2014, 16:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
50Mb Puppies to use as business card Rescue CD
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar 2012, 15:11    Post subject:  50Mb Puppies to use as business card Rescue CD
Subject description: Comparison of various small puppies

This post details my testing of Puppy isos that weigh in around‭ ‬50Mb for the purposes of burning to a‭ “‬credit card‭ ‬/‭ ‬business card‭” ‬style CD so that they can be carried in the wallet as a rescue CD. (By which I mean I would like to be able to copy critical files off a hard disk and onto a usb stick or CDR. Nothing more complex than that really).

Once I have chosen the most appropriate version,‭ ‬I hope to tweak it a little‭ (permanently setting pfix=ram and also ‬removing the final‭ “‬save on shutdown‭” ‬dialog etc‭) ‬and release it as an iso called Puppy‭ “‬Mount'n Rescue‭”

I will be updating this first post as I add other trial candidates.

(If you are trying to burn these puppies to a business card CD please note that "Burniso2CD" appears to have a default limit of exactly 50Mb, but Pburn allows an "overburn" option which goes slightly beyond 50Mb)

EDIT:
If you are looking for a fully fledged Rescue Cd there are many other options (although usually much too large to fit on a credit card CD). One possibility is this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651

Here are the 50Mb versions I am currently testing:

Barebones 1.04
(I decided this is not good to use as it writes a PUP001 file to HDD) (but see Catdudes comment further down the thread, and also see my note at the bottom of this first post about Catdudes collection of pre-version 2 puppies)

Barebones‭ ‬2.01r2
[url]http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/vintage/puppy-barebones-2.01r2.iso[/url]

Meanpuppy‭ ‬2.02
http://www.my-plan.org/storage/puppyLinux/

Fatfree pup‭ ‬2.17
[url]http://www.fileswap.com/dl/PBz6SgIf6J/puppy-fat-free-pup-2.17.iso[/url]

Puppy‭ ‬4.2.1-bbnobrowser
[url]http://www.fileswap.com/dl/iy6TPmU4Bj/puppy-4.2.1-bbnobrowser.iso[/url]

White Fang-0.2
http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/vintage/white_fang-0.2.iso

Barelypup-2.13-0.1
forum: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15082
iso: http://puppyisos.org/isos/2007-01-to-06/

(Thanks to forum member Hoven and others for some of these download links)

I will give a quick rating of my order of preference,‭ ‬but really all of these are worth trying depending on your machine and your exact needs.

Note‭ – ‬None of these have flash support,‭ ‬even where they did succeed in connecting to the internet.‭ ‬These versions are not designed for intensive online media requirements.

Heres the quick summary so far:‭

First choice:‭
‬4.2.1-bbnobrowser seems to be the easiest to use,‭ ‬and was the most successful to boot across a range of my machines.‭ ‬In order to keep it small it has been designed without a browser,‭ ‬and without any word processor or media players etc.‭ ‬Despite the absence of those features it is excellent at mounting hard drives and usb sticks for the purposes of copying off needed files.‭ ‬The main reason I list this as number one is the that it has clear icons on the desktop for HDD and USB drives. The other ones tested are just as capable, but you don't see the drives until you open MUT. Excellent jpeg viewer.‭ ‬No flash support.

Second choice:
The most fully configured version was Meanpuppy‭ ‬2.02‭ ‬and this might make it more suitable for some users.‭ ‬It has Abiword,‭ ‬a self-installing Opera browser,‭ ‬good network connection ability,‭ ‬and good pdf reader and‭ ‬.avi player.‭ ‬It's not quite as easy for mounting hard drives as the‭ ‬4.2.1,‭ ‬but still pretty usable.‭ ‬However,‭ ‬it has Pdisk instead of Gparted so if disk partitioning is something you need to do,‭ ‬this may not be the best choice.‭ ‬I was able to get on the web easily and check my email with this.‭ ‬No flash support.

Third choice:
Fatfree‭ ‬2.17‭ (‬does this have gparted‭?)‬.‭ ‬Pretty useful.‭ ‬I had no trouble getting connected to my wireless network,‭ ‬although there is no browser.‭ ‬I was able to download one,‭ ‬but it seemed as if it would need a restart to access it so I couldn't use it in this‭ test of the liveCD environment.‭ ‬Also had Grafburn CD writer which might be useful for some purposes.‭ ‬No flash support.

4th choice:
White Fang-0.2 seems to work fine. It has Gparted, Pdisk, pdf reader, mtPaint, netsurf browser, Pburn, Burniso2CD, Audacious audio player and I was able to get on the internet via a wired ethernet connection. Did not recognise my wireless connection. No avi player. Once a usb stick is mounted it shows an icon on screen (although mounted HDD doesn't). I had a couple of odd display issues and it hung on first boot due to a usb mouse being plugged in, although next time I plugged it in after booting and it worked fine. No flash support. (I would like to try the 3.0.1 version if I can locate it..)

Fifth choice:
Barebones‭ ‬2.01‭ ‬was usable as a rescue CD,‭ ‬with some good features like Gparted,‭ ‬Dillo browser and‭ ‬.avi player support,‭ ‬but also had some limitations,‭ ‬ie:‭ ‬wireless support was WEP only,‭ ‬the initial xorg config screen‭ (‬keyboard layout‭) ‬was confusing,‭ ‬and there was initially a long delay when using MUT to access HDDs and usb sticks.‭ ‬This distro had lots of extra editors and file managers so might be a good choice for someone who is getting into the nuts and bolts to recover a damaged O.S etc.‭ ‬No flash support.

EDIT:

Latest addition - I have tried barelypup2.13 and found it to be very interesting. It is very stripped down - almost nothing left in the menus except for the absolute basics. It has a clean looking desktop, and does exactly what I wanted it to do with copying files from HDD to USB. I might use this as a base for something else aswell.

EDITIf you are looking for something even smaller than the 50Mb range then Catdude and others have made a collection of earlier Puppies which may be of interest:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65544&start=24

Also, goingnuts has an interesting topic about a super-cut-down puppy that might be ideal for some types of projects:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51478

Last edited by greengeek on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 14:23; edited 13 times in total
Volhout

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 04:53    Post subject:  

Didn't know there where so many sub-50Mb puppies.

It is not 50Mb, but a small and good pup is browserlinux from GCMartin.
I find that while rescueing PC's I often need to visit modern web pages to get mainboard drivers. And that requires a good browser (for me). Need for Abiword for rescueing is low for me.

Good luck with your investigation.
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 05:10    Post subject:  

Volhout wrote:
.. a small and good pup is browserlinux from GCMartin.

I had no idea that browserlinux was produced by gcmartin, I thought it was from 'puppymartin"? gcmartin guided me through setting up "boot from PXE" on puppy so I Iearnt how talented, patient and clear he is.

Browserlinux is one of my favourites - as is Mijnpup which I think is also from puppymartin. Are gcmartin and puppymartin one and the same perhaps?
Volhout

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar 2012, 08:18    Post subject:  

my Oops ....
Volhout

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar 2012, 08:19    Post subject: name mixed up  

my Oops ....
Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar 2012, 08:50    Post subject:  

puppymartin did browserlinux and is dutch, I believe
Apart from the puppy he also did this, a variant of the well-minded search I think...

http://www.browserlinux.com/google/

gcmartin is definitely a different member, has been far longer

a great pair of 'house-martins' Wink Very Happy

Aitch Smile
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar 2012, 18:38    Post subject:  

hi greengeek

thank you very much for this overview!

I know I have somewhere (CD or hard disk) more in this kind of small Puppies

a 50 mb version 1.04 or 1.05
a 99 mb version 2.0 or 2.02 with OpenOffice integrated!
a fatfree 3.01
the white fang puppy no. 2
a all on RW-CD puppy (don't uses hard disk at all and can handle unlimited sessions as the new session overwrites the last old session; the usual use was not this - the new sessions came also on the disk until the disk is full and after that, it is even finish!)
divers old puppy older as the version 1.0 (I think 0.41, it was the first Puppy theorically able to work with samba, 47 mb if I right remember, 0.27, it was probably the last Puppy under 30 mb, and probably 0.23, about 20..22 mb, I suppose it was "my" first Puppy and I did discover it visiting the site of Menu OS where Barry Kauler was active a few time before and making advertisement for it on his own web pages.
I also have probably a Iso of two micro-Puppy's with about 10 mb

but

I did spend a lot of time to copy a functional copy of White fang the last time I did try (and did do with success) to recover it for an other Puppy fan because the CD are really hard to read with newer but already used new CD drives. and I have actually no A/C adapter for 3" hard disk. I will try to make an archive of some (the ones being so kind to accept to be copied without problem after this long years) of above goodies in the next months and upload it on a free upload place in the web. I invite Puppy fans being eventually interesting to download it to follow this thread as usually the uploads not stay longer on line if nobody download them within 4 weeks. I as have no own repository, I will not make it more as one time.

it makes a funny satisfaction to start them with qemu-0.91-launchscript-SDL-1.29.pet ! as the computers were really very slower as those Puppy's were actual, you can about get, after the start (as the upload of the system through qemu is very, not very, dramatically slow) the impression to review this time!

it is easy:

install qemu-0.91-launchscript-SDL-1.29.pet

copy an ISO in /root

go in menu > utilities

hit on the launchscript icon

it is all what is to do Laughing !

have fun time with the old puppy's

of course, you also can try to start them in real old style from CD...
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2012, 14:35    Post subject:  

oui wrote:

it is easy:
install qemu-0.91-launchscript-SDL-1.29.pet

Merci Oui!

I will give that a try.
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2012, 16:41    Post subject:  

Its also possible to instal without burning a CD, by loopmounting the ISO...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28913

If in puppy instead of *buntu, ignore the sudos and use your own text editor for nano references, and obviously adjust menu.lst partitions and puppy versions to suit

Aitch Smile
dejan555

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2012, 18:47    Post subject:  

there was a small puplet by wow based on 3.x or 4.1.x noname pup or something like that it used lxde I think it's about 50 MB with dillo

greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2012, 03:45    Post subject:  

dejan555 wrote:
there was a small puplet by wow based on 3.x or 4.1.x noname pup or something like that it used lxde I think it's about 50 MB with dillo

Thanks Dejan. I'm googling it but no luck so far. Was "wow" the name of the puplet creator?
Keef

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2012, 06:19    Post subject:  

Is it this?
Unnamed pupplet (puppy411 kernel-2.6.27.5 Xorg-7.4 LXDE)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36592
More like 70MB. Haven't tried it myself.
CatDude

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2012, 07:19    Post subject:  

Hello greengeek

greengeek wrote:
Barebones 1.04
(I decided this is not good to use as it writes a PUP001 file to HDD)

No it won't,
not if you do the following. (see pics)

At the initial boot screen, type the number 3
then hit Enter.

At the first pause at the red text, hit Enter again.

At the second pause at the red text, just wait 10 seconds,
and it will continue on it's merry way.

CatDude
screeny-1.png
 Description   
 Filesize   146.39 KB
 Viewed   2322 Time(s)

screeny-1.png

screeny-2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   124.05 KB
 Viewed   2337 Time(s)

screeny-2.png

screeny-3.png
 Description   
 Filesize   118.06 KB
 Viewed   2317 Time(s)

screeny-3.png

dejan555

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2012, 13:11    Post subject:  

Keef, that might be it, will download and try I remember it was really small but maybe not 50 MB afterall.

greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2012, 13:37    Post subject:  

CatDude wrote:

not if you do the following. (see pics)
At the initial boot screen, type the number 3 then hit Enter.
At the first pause at the red text, hit Enter again.
At the second pause at the red text, just wait 10 seconds,
and it will continue on it's merry way.

Hi Catdude, many thanks for that. I guess the wording of "choose HD" stopped me from trying it, given that I wanted to "exclude HD".

I wish I had known this tip years ago - the one thing that drove me away from Puppy Unleashed 0.9 was the pup001 file on my HDD.

I didn't come back to Puppy for a long time - and missed the fun of the 2 and 3 series.

I should have done more research!
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: