Anyone used coolcnc Puppy?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
KF6SNJ

Anyone used coolcnc Puppy?

#1 Post by KF6SNJ »

I am looking at a puppy based linux with the enhanced machine controller suite (emc) preinstalled on it. It is called coolcncb05. It can be found at:

http://dsplabs.utt.ro/~juve/emc/

I was wondering if anyone knows much about this derivative? I am thinking of remastering it as part of my robot project that I have been discussing off and on over in the off topic section. I am thinking that this may work for me, but I think it may need some work first. Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas? Stoning for heresy?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

I was unaware of this project
maybe the info / ISO can be hosted
and added to the new Puppy website

. . . there have been several hardware interfacings using Puppy
A submersible (search for Puppy submarine)
A vending machine
A robot dog (still being developed)

It looks like the linked package could do with upgrading . . .

Good luck 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

KF6SNJ

#3 Post by KF6SNJ »

Yes, I am still developing the robot dog. That is part of why I am interested in the program. The other reason is because I had not previously been aware of this derivative either. I will look into updating it as I have already downloaded and tested it. So I guess I would like to ask for some suggestions. One thought I had was to install it in a partition, use Puppy 4.0 to upgrade it and then use that to create a new ISO file. Would that work? I honestly don't know. I also considered installing Puppy 4.0 and then trying to compile the newest version of enhanced machine controller (emc2) on it and then create an ISO from that. I have already downloaded the tar file for the new version of the program, so I have it. Any thoughts?

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

KF6SNJ

You could try pm'ing the person behind coolcnc, although they haven't been around the pupforum for awhile. But I'm sure they would still be active on the emc forum you linked to.

Can I ask you if you could "flesh" out what your logic is in going this route? I don't know anything much about cnc, or robots, but I'm curious as to how you envisage using coolcnc in your project.

Writing a program to control a stepper motor is no big deal, but is it that there will be several limbs, & several sensory inputs, and it needs a "conductor" to prioritise things etc.

KF6SNJ

#5 Post by KF6SNJ »

Ok, fair enough question.

My robotics project only has two motors that are not generally standard computer peripherals. Those are the port and starboard drive motors (M1 and M2 respectively). These motors are to be placed side by side such that they work together to move the robot forward and backward and either one can be used independently to turn the robot. This creates a very tight turning radius.

I am looking the enhanced motor controller system itself as possibly being capable doing this. The fact that there is a puppy derivative that already comes with this shows me that it can definately be done using puppy as the base OS. The question now is whether or not the enhanced motor controller is the appropriate program for this or should I perhaps try and code something else that is more robot specific, though I have not tried my hand at programming anything more than web pages in years.

Thoughts and opinions are welcomed. Who knows, it could lead to forking this derivative into a new puppy? I am still learning.

KF6SNJ

#6 Post by KF6SNJ »

Truthfully, I don't know if I am even capable of what I am considering, especially given my lack of practical programming experience. Perhaps I was wrong to even bring up this topic. Sorry.

John Doe

#7 Post by John Doe »

KF6SNJ wrote:Truthfully, I don't know if I am even capable of what I am considering, especially given my lack of practical programming experience.
You'll never get it done that way. Just keep learning and you'll make it happen. Sometimes when personal projects overwhelm me, I move them from "short term project" to "long term project".

Rome wasn't built in a day ;-)
KF6SNJ wrote:Perhaps I was wrong to even bring up this topic. Sorry.
No need to be sorry. I've been reading the thread. I'd guess that others are interested to see what comes of this thought also.

Best of wishes and good luck.

Maybe in the future we'll see a video of a robotic puppy running Puppy. :-)

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

I hope I haven't put you off by querying where coolcnc fits in your project. Maybe it's better to do this in modules, and not be overwhelmed by the complete project. Getting the motors functioning via software could be one sub-section. Do you already have the motors? Are they stepper motors?

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

You've probably already seen this link for parallel port motor control?

big_bass

#10 Post by big_bass »

KF6SNJ wrote:Ok, fair enough question.

My robotics project only has two motors that are not generally standard computer peripherals. Those are the port and starboard drive motors (M1 and M2 respectively). These motors are to be placed side by side such that they work together to move the robot forward and backward and either one can be used independently to turn the robot. This creates a very tight turning radius.

I am looking the enhanced motor controller system itself as possibly being capable doing this. The fact that there is a puppy derivative that already comes with this shows me that it can definately be done using puppy as the base OS. The question now is whether or not the enhanced motor controller is the appropriate program for this or should I perhaps try and code something else that is more robot specific, though I have not tried my hand at programming anything more than web pages in years.

Thoughts and opinions are welcomed. Who knows, it could lead to forking this derivative into a new puppy? I am still learning.
CNC is quite a large project I built a 3 axis stepper motor driver circuit and a qbasic program to control it back in 1998 or so I have not applied that to linux and that was a big project I used step-syn stepper motors 4.7 V 1.8A much to large for a robot dog but the stepping patterns are the same

some advice do all your tesing on an older computer :D
if you need any help with the circuit board let me know I am an electronics tech

EMC is the way to go
http://www.linuxcnc.org/

big_bass

KF6SNJ

#11 Post by KF6SNJ »

muggins wrote:You've probably already seen this link for parallel port motor control?

No, I had not. Thank you. Perhaps it would be a better route than what I was thinking. Seriously, I should probably sit down and read a book on programming in either, basic, cobol, or perhaps c. However, most of my studies are theological. For me, robotics is more of a hobby as is Linux.

big bass, thank you for your offer to help. I appreciate it. I am planning to use a 386 computer for this project. More details are over in the "off topic" area along with some pictures of what I am working with. My post here is more to do with the best derivative of puppy to use with it and when I found puppy based coolcnc I wanted to know if anyone knew much about it and if it could be made to work for what I am doing. As a puppy derivative, it works. However, I don't know about using it for a robot, especially given I am not planning to use stepper motors. (though I won't rule it out). Thank you though to everyone for your time, understanding, and putting up with me.

big_bass

#12 Post by big_bass »

KF6SNJ wrote:
muggins wrote:You've probably already seen this link for parallel port motor control?

No, I had not. Thank you. Perhaps it would be a better route than what I was thinking. Seriously, I should probably sit down and read a book on programming in either, basic, cobol, or perhaps c. However, most of my studies are theological. For me, robotics is more of a hobby as is Linux.

big bass, thank you for your offer to help. I appreciate it. I am planning to use a 386 computer for this project. More details are over in the "off topic" area along with some pictures of what I am working with. My post here is more to do with the best derivative of puppy to use with it and when I found puppy based coolcnc I wanted to know if anyone knew much about it and if it could be made to work for what I am doing. As a puppy derivative, it works. However, I don't know about using it for a robot, especially given I am not planning to use stepper motors. (though I won't rule it out). Thank you though to everyone for your time, understanding, and putting up with me.

I found this looking through notes I dont use ubuntu but for this type of project
you would have more support because they had more time developing it and testing it

then steal the code and make it work for puppy :lol:

how to build cool cnc for puppy

big_bass
Attachments
how to cool CNC.tar.gz
(10.05 KiB) Downloaded 833 times

KF6SNJ

#13 Post by KF6SNJ »

Please let me ask a stupid question:

If I were going to attempt to remaster coolcnc into something more useful for my particular robotics project and yet include enough flexibility for others, where would I start? I have, obviously, downloaded and burned the iso to a disk and it works. What would I have to do next? Obviously I need to learn about dc motor control via a computer so I can either adapt the Enhance Machine Controller or else start writing my scripts for motor control.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

big_bass

#14 Post by big_bass »

KF6SNJ wrote:Please let me ask a stupid question:

If I were going to attempt to remaster coolcnc into something more useful for my particular robotics project and yet include enough flexibility for others, where would I start? I have, obviously, downloaded and burned the iso to a disk and it works. What would I have to do next? Obviously I need to learn about dc motor control via a computer so I can either adapt the Enhance Machine Controller or else start writing my scripts for motor control.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
you would start with reading up on stepper motors
for any practical project that is using a CNC program as its base

or find a very basic port controlling program for turning on and of some simple devices connected to the parallel port without positioning feedback sensors

I will look for some for you

pic micro controllers are another way to go also

big_bass

jason.b.c

Re: coolcnc

#15 Post by jason.b.c »

KF6SNJ wrote:I am looking at a puppy based linux with the enhanced machine controller suite (emc) preinstalled on it. It is called coolcncb05. It can be found at:

http://dsplabs.utt.ro/~juve/emc/

I was wondering if anyone knows much about this derivative? I am thinking of remastering it as part of my robot project that I have been discussing off and on over in the off topic section. I am thinking that this may work for me, but I think it may need some work first. Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas? Stoning for heresy?

dead link
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]

Aitch

#16 Post by Aitch »

mirrored

http://dsplabs.upt.ro/~juve/emc/

old live pup version

http://dsplabs.upt.ro/~juve/emc/get.php ... cncb05.iso

studiopup by l0wt3ch used a live/realtime kernel

Aitch :)

darkcity

#17 Post by darkcity »

mentions ubuntu on site. if you look at manual it references to puppy

http://www.thecooltool.com/downloads.ph ... s=20&id=73

darkcity

#18 Post by darkcity »

also, I think many of the real time kennel patch's feature have been included in mainstream linux ; -)

Aitch

#19 Post by Aitch »

Wow...puppy 1.07 with RTA kernel...!

Aitch :)