Creating new desktop items

Booting, installing, newbie
SkullyRipz

Creating new desktop items

#1 Post by SkullyRipz »

I'm very new to unix but am catching on quickly. I recently installed Puppy LInux onto my computer and am learning how to install new pups.

I have installed the firefox 4.0 web browser and am able to access it through the shell or through file. What i would like to do is create a desktop icon for it. I would also like to make it my default browser. How do I go about doing this? Is there any advice or resources that could point me in the right direction? Also am i able to remove seamonkey?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. =)

darkcity

#2 Post by darkcity »

hi 8)

welcome to the Kennels

(firefox will have a menu entry too)
if your on puppy5 you can-

A) choose default browser from globe on the bottom left.

B) go to PuppyMenu > Setup > Setup Puppy > Default Programs Chooser

C) this works for any program with menu entry go to /usr/share/applications then drag the desire app to background

D) if the program hasn't got a menu entry you can drag its script or binary to background - often found in /usr/local/bin

are you frugally installed ?

SkullyRipz

#3 Post by SkullyRipz »

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes I am frugally installed. Followed the tutorial to partition the hard drive for puppy, linux swap and fat32 for win/linux shared files.

I am very unfamiliar with this being brought up in windows. I am teaching myself through the rute guide and through searching through forums.

Now I'm not sure what version of puppy I have. I downloaded the lastest version available. But in my menu | setup | setup puppy, I do not have an option of "defaults program chooser". I did find the defaultbrowser, however when I drag it into geany all I see is.

<#!/bin/sh
exec mozstart "$@">

I drag and drop mozstart and i get a lot of lines. I'm assuming I need to edit some of these lines to point to the default browser I would like to use. I'm just really not sure what paths I need to enter and what paths to leave alone.

I was however able to get it onto the desktop via dragging it from /usr/shar/applications. Thank you so much for your help. It is much appreciated.

Mercedes350se

#4 Post by Mercedes350se »

You should already have a "browse" icon on the desktop which will start a browser other than your desired Firefox.

Go into /usr/local/bin and right click on defaultbrowser>Open as Text then change mozstart to the correct Firefox file, save and you should be good to go.

The Firefox file will be the one you used to start it.

Regarding removing/replacing seamonkey with Firefox I thought there was a thread here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=597

but it seems to have gone.

darkcity

#5 Post by darkcity »

<#!/bin/sh
exec mozstart "$@">

I drag and drop mozstart and i get a lot of lines. I'm assuming I need to edit some of these lines to point to the default browser I would like to use. I'm just really not sure what paths I need to enter and what paths to leave alone.
the default program chooser may only be default on Polar Pup (which i'm using) - you are probably using Slacko you can check with the following command.
echo $PATH

Code: Select all

source /etc/DISTRO_SPECS && echo "$DISTRO_NAME $DISTRO_VERSION"
see http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersionInformation

have you tried replacing mozstart with firefox?

you can start binaries and scripts by just using there filename as long as their path has been added to PATH string

use the following code to see all those paths

Code: Select all

echo $PATH

postfs1

Re: Creating new desktop items

#6 Post by postfs1 »

SkullyRipz wrote: Creating new desktop items
Note: the example is for window manager which is called "JWM".

SkullyRipz

#7 Post by SkullyRipz »

Got it to work by changing the defaultbrowser file to exec firefox rather than mozstart. Works great now.

Thank you everybody for your responses and advice. I really do appreciate it.