Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#1401 Post by jemimah »

nooby wrote:Jemimah you are right about Geeqie. I am testing it now in
wary/Racy 5228 and it shut down each time I try to read on NTFS
But it says it is missing no dependencies.

So I only get Geeqie to work on Lucid I have not tested that one
on Saluki or Salcko this morning.

What does the Slackware crowd do to get Geeqie to work for them?
I've added geeqie to the saluki repo.

technosaurus

#1402 Post by technosaurus »

jemimah wrote:Yes jwm will be removed in the next release.
:(
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

elroy

#1403 Post by elroy »

I've been checking out the new kernel. Haven't had any issues so far. If anything, my 'puter seems to be a split-second zippier. Could be my imagination, but I swear that from boot up to shutdown (and everything in between), everything appears to be a bit faster. Even Google-Chrome is behaving better (it was loading pages a bit slower before, almost hanging at times).

Is custom-builder the new working name for now? Or is it the new official name?

I haven't tried to rename the distro/pup (you mentioned that it probably wouldn't work correctly until 013), but if one could compile their own kernel (down the road as newer kernels are released) and package it as a pet, and thus update the kernel into their ISO whenever one chooses, this makes woof seem a bit archaic (at least in terms of customizing a puppy). Granted, you can't choose which distro to base your build from, but basing it on Saluki certainly isn't a bad choice, certainly with the built-in simplicity. If I can figure it out, I would think most Windows refugees probably could. Do you realize you may be spawning a bunch of new puppies?

I guess the only question I have at this point (and the answer may be obvious, but I have to ask it) is this - I'm assuming that the new kernel, for the most part, has backwards compatibility to a certain extent (certainly I haven't come across anything that doesn't run as expected...but then again, obviously I haven't had the time to try out every nook-n-cranny. But so far so good...). My question is this - if I were to compile a program on the new kernel, would it be reasonable to expect that it would run correctly on the official Saluki supported kernel version (the one provided as of 012)? Or would it be prudent to continue to compile pets/sfs's on the 012 kernel for the present?

As usual (and as have come to be expected) your body of work, (along with pemasu's kernel efforts) you have provided a very useful, quality product. Testing is a pleasure. I did beta testing for Jasc Paint Shop Pro 6 back in '98 (since bought up by corel; at the time it was a local Minnesota based software distribution), and this has been a very bump-free experience comparatively.

Anywho, any feedback concerning the compiling bit would be appreciated, as would any feedback from others concerning their experiences with the new custom-builder3/kernel.

elroy

#1404 Post by elroy »

It may be sacrilegious as far as traditional puppies are concerned, but I happen to be in favor of the fact that JWM will be removed from Saluki in future realeases. It's supported in other puppy distros if desired, but really doesn't have too much of a place in Saluki if you take into account the mission statement.

I can understand, and appreciate the fact, that if you've used it for the past few years due to the fact that you've used other puppy distros, that you might prefer it. However, Saluki is supposed to be targeted towards newer users (ease of use), and thus Thunar is a much better, more familiar, choice for said purpose.

jemimah

#1405 Post by jemimah »

elroy wrote:
Is custom-builder the new working name for now? Or is it the new official name?
I think it will be the "Saluki Custom Puplet Builder".
elroy wrote: I haven't tried to rename the distro/pup (you mentioned that it probably wouldn't work correctly until 013), but if one could compile their own kernel (down the road as newer kernels are released) and package it as a pet, and thus update the kernel into their ISO whenever one chooses, this makes woof seem a bit archaic (at least in terms of customizing a puppy). Granted, you can't choose which distro to base your build from, but basing it on Saluki certainly isn't a bad choice, certainly with the built-in simplicity. If I can figure it out, I would think most Windows refugees probably could. Do you realize you may be spawning a bunch of new puppies?
That's the plan. The only way to fix package management in puppy is a from-source distribution with a team of developers maintaining the repo. So we need more developers. Thus we should make development fun and easy.

elroy wrote: I'm assuming that the new kernel, for the most part, has backwards compatibility to a certain extent (certainly I haven't come across anything that doesn't run as expected...but then again, obviously I haven't had the time to try out every nook-n-cranny. But so far so good...). My question is this - if I were to compile a program on the new kernel, would it be reasonable to expect that it would run correctly on the official Saluki supported kernel version (the one provided as of 012)? Or would it be prudent to continue to compile pets/sfs's on the 012 kernel for the present?
99% of programs don't care what kernel you use. Device drivers need to be recompiled though. And I'm not sure what to do with different firmware versions for different kernels but I guess we'll figure out how to sort it.

jemimah

Re: Request for Tangogps pet & 2 Questions re build_adrive

#1406 Post by jemimah »

jemimah wrote:
mikeslr wrote:Hi jemimah,

Now that Saluki is humming on my eeepc Asus 701SD, the weather is suggesting an early spring, and my wife is threatening to drag me out on some geocaching hunts (and I remembered you had tangogps working under puppeee) I was wondering if you had the time/interest to create a tangogps pet for Saluki?

In passing, while you're still developing build_adrive, can it be adapted to generate an sfs for use in other Puplets (using pets for the same)? I appreciate that it wouldn't handle dependency checking, and that there are other apps for combining pets into an sfs, but I don't think any of them can handle as many pets at one time as build_adrive, nor as easily. It would be sufficient if all that was necessary after the build was to manually change the file's suffix.

And can build_adrive incorporate sfses? I probably could answer that myself if I (1) analyzed the code, or (2) experimented, but asking is easier.

mikesLr
It does allow sfses.

It probably makes more sense to build a separate general purpose sfs builder/combiner program. I'll add it to my todo list.

I'll see about tangogps. I think it's called foxtrot gps now. I think I had trouble getting it to compile last time I tried but I'll have another go.
I've added sfs-builder to the repo. At the moment this only works on saluki because it needs my version of dir2pet but I'll probably package it for other puplets soon.

scabz

#1407 Post by scabz »

I have spent some time with Saluki. I cant get out of old habits.
When I wanted to watch movie to relax...I compiled Umplayer-0.97 from svn in Saluki for it, I used the qt-4.8.0-pet and its dev pet for it.
I used mplayer2-2.0 for backend.
thanks a lot pemasu vdpau works perfectly now, i dont have to switch from saluki to lucid 528 just to play 1080p video.

pemasu

#1408 Post by pemasu »

scabz. Great to hear that mplayer2 and possibly Umplayer works for you.

Now that I have spent more time in Saluki.
About Geeqie. Long story rewritten to short. I have included more additions to Geeqie...means that pinstall.sh creates them and also some extra files.
With attached Geeqie you get... to the Geeqie inbuild filemanager....when you right click the file name and choose Edit....mtpaint and imgur choices.

MtPaint will be opened for image editing and Imgur launches oob photo uploader app to the free upload site and creates the url for it also...which you can email to your best friend....or enemy.

If you have fotoxx and gimp installed you get them to the Edit menu also and you can launch them to your image file editing.

If you have ufraw installed...you get some ufraw choices to the Edit menu. Yes...Geeqie is raw images viewer also with ufraw installed.

I have used pinstall.sh for creation because the right click additions are in fact DOTdesktop files and sometimes dir2pet or installing the pet screws them when they are in wrong location...from puppy aspect.

Enjoy the extra stuff...happy viewing...

nooby

#1409 Post by nooby »

I used the one Jemimah uploaded March first? and that one worked well in
Saluki.

Pemasu I used your geeqie ... dpup for both dpup exprimo and for Slacko
and it worked in both. So now I have four working Puppies. I feel rich.

So thanks to all involved. I ahve not tested your latest though.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

shelezyaka

#1410 Post by shelezyaka »

technosaurus wrote:
jemimah wrote:Yes jwm will be removed in the next release.
:(
Do not cry technosaurus , remake.
Here is a pet package that I promised. There are many scripts are inclusion in Russian, which is often poorly written without the support of localization.
For example I had to rewrite Frisbee. I do not know you understand or not. But nobody forbids to use.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c761d3

jemimah

#1411 Post by jemimah »

pemasu wrote:scabz. Great to hear that mplayer2 and possibly Umplayer works for you.

Now that I have spent more time in Saluki.
About Geeqie. Long story rewritten to short. I have included more additions to Geeqie...means that pinstall.sh creates them and also some extra files.
With attached Geeqie you get... to the Geeqie inbuild filemanager....when you right click the file name and choose Edit....mtpaint and imgur choices.

MtPaint will be opened for image editing and Imgur launches oob photo uploader app to the free upload site and creates the url for it also...which you can email to your best friend....or enemy.

If you have fotoxx and gimp installed you get them to the Edit menu also and you can launch them to your image file editing.

If you have ufraw installed...you get some ufraw choices to the Edit menu. Yes...Geeqie is raw images viewer also with ufraw installed.

I have used pinstall.sh for creation because the right click additions are in fact DOTdesktop files and sometimes dir2pet or installing the pet screws them when they are in wrong location...from puppy aspect.

Enjoy the extra stuff...happy viewing...
I've uploaded this version to the repo.

kimathi

Start menu entry

#1412 Post by kimathi »

Perhaps you could add the following xfce native function as start menu/ control panel entry

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Create Start Menu Entry
Icon=xfce4-menueditor
Comment=Create Application Shortcuts in the start Menu
Exec=exo-desktop-item-edit --create-new /usr/share/applications
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Settings
GenericName=Menu Maker[/code]

kimathi

Kdenlive 0.7.8 (rev. 4559) and KDE 4.4.4 SFS

#1413 Post by kimathi »

I realised that battleshooter's Kdenlive 0.7.8 (rev. 4559) and KDE 4.4.4 SFS both work in saluki even with the base alone without the adrive. This sfs was for Quirky 1.2, havent tried the one for lupu, if any ones interested in KDE, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57450

Geoffrey

Re: Start menu entry

#1414 Post by Geoffrey »

kimathi wrote:Perhaps you could add the following xfce native function as start menu/ control panel entry

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Create Start Menu Entry
Icon=xfce4-menueditor
Comment=Create Application Shortcuts in the start Menu
Exec=exo-desktop-item-edit --create-new /usr/share/applications
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Settings
GenericName=Menu Maker[/code]
It can be run from the right click menu on the desktop, it doesn't create a " Categories entry ", in a way it's obsolete because this version of xfce has drag n drop from the menu for launcher on the desktop,
if you create a launcher with this from a menu entry you then have to go to /usr/share/applications and either edit it by adding a Categories entry to show in the menu or drag it to the desktop as a launcher which is it's primary function.

The XMenu Entry Maker though it doesn't have a nice icon adding menu does a better job over all, a nice thought but it is limited in it's function and welcome to the forum :wink:

jemimah

#1415 Post by jemimah »

Lucky 13 has been released.

New in 013:
new kernel
Thunar archiver plugin
many new plugins for gstreamer
saluki custom puplet builder
pdf-cube
lsalarm
various fixes and enhancement

kimathi

#1416 Post by kimathi »

Geoffrey

Code: Select all

The XMenu Entry Maker though it doesn't have a nice icon adding menu does a better job over all
Well i knew about it, only that i saw no point of two progs to do the same thing that's why i thought of piping output ot /usr/share/applications then entry appears right away on the start menu. Thanks for the welcome though, i have been following puppy for last three years only never signed up. :lol:

sszindian

default viewer

#1417 Post by sszindian »

Been pretty busy testing a few other puppy versions, just now getting around to the nitty-gritty's in Saluki.

This may have been brought to your attention previously but I'll mention it here as I haven't been able to view all the past threads.

Installed 'Pupsnap' it works fine in Saluki however... after capture it doesn't give a 'view' of the capture like other puppy's (right there on the screen) but... it does capture and put the selected image in my-documents/images like it should. The problem is with the default viewer, when selected to view that graphic, it doesn't work! The default editor works fine and places the graphic right in mtpaint.

I tried the default viewer on some icons in icons file, the default viewer doesn't work on those either.

>>>---Indian------>

EDIT: Just noticed after post that 13 is up... will try that one, my test was on version-12
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

smokey01

#1418 Post by smokey01 »

Oh Dear Jemimah, you are so fast.

I have just finished building a Puplet with your Custom Builder3 and you've released another version.

My Puplet is quite large at 412M but it does have all the goodies in it I like such as:

VLC
Seamonkey 2.7.2
Picasa
Calibre
FileZilla
Gimp
Searchmonkey
Geeqie
Psip
Retrovol
VirtualBox
Wbar

It is working wonderfully well. Even VLC is now working in full screen. Not sure what I did to make it work. Thanks Billtoo.

Anyway I'm happy to share if anyone's interested.

I might call it Smoluki :lol:

http://www.smokey01.com/software/iso/smoluki-012.iso

Thanks Jemimah for such great work.
Last edited by smokey01 on Sat 03 Mar 2012, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#1419 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:Lucky 13 has been released.

New in 013:
new kernel
Thunar archiver plugin
many new plugins for gstreamer
saluki custom puplet builder
pdf-cube
lsalarm
various fixes and enhancement
Wunderbar, is there a kernel sfs for compiling video drivers?, can't wait to try this, thankyou for your efforts, BTW, a friend of mine hasn't used puppy since 2.16, I think I have him hooked he is abandoning Ubuntu, he misses being user root. 8)

jemimah

#1420 Post by jemimah »

There's a link in the first post to the kernel sfs and headers pet.