Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

Response to reported TESTING001a Issues -- Patch-1

#1221 Post by rerwin »

After a hiatus to allow a fractured arm to return to usefulness, I have looked into the problem reports and have picked up some of the recent safely portable woof fixes described in Barry's blog.

The reports were summarized by playdayz in a PM to me, so I will address each of them:
1) one person's usb mouse didn't work correctly.
2) one person's usb printer was not detected.
The only USB-related change I know of is the addition of the USB3 driver. The new patch package contains a temporary tool to disable the USB3 driver to see if the mouse and printer are discovered. My understanding of the "USB game" is limited, so I welcome opinions from the more knowledgeable. The tool is "pusb3" to be run from the command line. Without any argument, it shows the current status of the USB3 driver. The options are "on", "off" and "--help" (w/o the quotes).

3) wifi did not reconnect
I discovered two problems:
  • - A case entry in the wag-profiles.sh script (r8180|rtl819*|vt665*) CARD_WPA_DRV="wext" ;;) got deleted at the point where a new entry was added. The case involved the new broadcom driver "wl", so I also added that to the case containing the other broadcom names (ath5k*|ath9k*|b43|b43legacy|bcm43xx|wl) CARD_WPA_DRV="wext" ;;). Tempestuous, if that is not appropriate, please tell me to remove the "|wl".
    - The logic to manage the "conflict" with the ssb driver is not consistent with puppy's method. I corrected this by disabling Startup script 00-broadcom-sta.sh that removes and re-modprobes modules, and added preferences "ssb:wl" and "b43:wl", because those sometimes overlap in the modules.alias file. Peebee, please test this re-implementation.
4) full install asked for a Save file. ("At shutdown I got the question to make a save file (this was full install). Why is that. I thought a full install didn't need a save file?")
The question should be asked only under pupstate 5, which is a bootup by CD or frugal installation without a pupsave file. Therefore, I expect that the question would be asked at the end of the session creating the full installation. In that case, one might save to the same partition as the full installation -- unless that is already done as part of the installation. To pin down the issue: Does the question you reported occur on the first boot of a new full installation (where a partition-save was not done after the installation) or does it happen every shutdown of the installation? (BTW, I am not sure of the legitimacy of doing the partition-save into a full installation.)

Re sound issues: While assessing the proposed woof fix for a sound-card script (10alsa), I discovered that the lsmod command used in the fix and in lupu528 does not produce the expected result. In a loop, it is used to determine whether any sound (snd_) modules are loaded. But no matter how long the every-second tests are made, the sound modules are never found -- even though running lsmod in a console at the time shows the modules as loaded! When I removed the lsmod command from lupu's 10alsa, the speaker icon returned in time for the sound test in the alsa wizard! So, I have removed the lsmod test and substitute a short sleep command to allow time for loading; the duration can be increased if necessary. With the functionality restored, I have removed the workaround logic that displays the speaker icon after the sound test is done. And it still works!

Re woof update to the dependency checker: While I would like to bring over that fix, it turns out to be riskier than it looks. Although the latest fix is straightforward, the checker relies on another script (findmissingpkgs.sh) that differs significantly from the lupu version. Although I am eager to try porting the necessary components, I don't feel that I can test it thoroughly; I will need the help of a tester who can "wring it out". So, that is not in the patch package, but is not ruled out at this time.

The fixes I did port from woof are the following:
  • - "'filemnt' bug fix" - Posted on 20 Feb 2012, 17:49 - npierce: bugfix /usr/sbin/filemnt, sfs files of same name
    - "Unmounting network shares" - Posted on 19 Feb 2012, 8:30 - All types: cifs, smbfs, nfs, sshfs
    - "Pupdial empty password/username" - Posted on 18 Feb 2012, 9:38 - Restored 'Stupid mode' labels, but also sets stupid mode if login omitted.
    - "Woof fixes" - Posted on 26 Jan 2012, 8:43 - jemimah: puppyinstaller: clear SELECTIONS variable, add ntfs exclusion; noryb009: fix typo in usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh
If problems are still encountered after installing the patch, please run "pmodemdiag" and post/PM the pmodemdiag...tar.gz file it produces. Thanks for testing this.
Richard
Attachments
lupu-528-TESTING01a-patch-1.pet
Possible fixes and tool for reported problems, plus many fixes ported from woof.
(98.62 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 26 Feb 2012, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#1222 Post by bigpup »

4) full install asked for a Save file. ("At shutdown I got the question to make a save file (this was full install). Why is that. I thought a full install didn't need a save file?")
The question should be asked only under pupstate 5, which is a bootup by CD or frugal installation without a pupsave file. Therefore, I expect that the question would be asked at the end of the session creating the full installation. In that case, one might save to the same partition as the full installation -- unless that is already done as part of the installation. To pin down the issue: Does the question you reported occur on the first boot of a new full installation (where a partition-save was not done after the installation) or does it happen every shutdown of the installation? (BTW, I am not sure of the legitimacy of doing the partition-save into a full installation.)
What may be happening is:
He is running Puppy from a live CD with no save file. (initial boot).
Does full install of Puppy.
Reboots or shuts down.
Because he was running Puppy from Live CD, making save file is asked.
Even if you remove live CD and reboot, to run the full install, it will still ask to make save file.
This is not what happens, with other operating system live CD's, when used to install operating system.
It is a little confusing, for a new user, who does not understand, what a save file is all about, in Puppy.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Atle

Server

#1223 Post by Atle »

Dear fellow dog lovers...

I like to make various live CDs, with CMS and ERP solutions like Joomla, Drupal and WebERP.

To do this I use Growlers great LHMP package.

So I wonder. Since Puppy already has the Hiawatha webserver installed...

A) Is it version 7.3 og 8.0 of Hiawhata webserver installed at the 2.5.8.004?

B) Was there at some point also something like Sqlite in Lucid or was that in a another version of Puppy?

C) Are there anyone that has made a Pet out of a lightweight database solution for Lupu?

Apart from that, big thumb up for the crew developing the Lupu. Its a great solution and my preferred OS.

cthisbear

#1224 Post by cthisbear »

rerwin:

Chia seed is very good for helping fractures.

Natural iron, calcium, magnesium etc.

A little sitting in the sun is good for the soul.

Hope that you are on the mend.

Chris.

peebee

Re: Response to reported TESTING001a Issues -- Patch-1

#1225 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:After a hiatus to allow a fractured arm to return to usefulness, I have looked into the problem reports and have picked up many of the recent safely portable woof fixes described in Barry's blog.

3) wifi did not reconnect
I discovered two problems:
  • - The logic to manage the "conflict" with the ssb driver is not consistent with puppy's method. I corrected this by disabling Startup script 00-broadcom-sta.sh that removes and re-modprobes modules, and added preferences "ssb:wl" and "b43:wl", because those sometimes overlap in the modules.alias file. Peebee, please test this re-implementation.
Richard
Hi Richard
Sorry to hear about your arm - hope its healing well..

Added your pet to the lupu528TESTING system - it worked in the sense that after a reboot the wl driver & eth1 were no longer being used - the system had reverted to the b43 & wlan0. Output from lsmod is attached and shows that BOTH wl and b43 are loaded - but it is b43 that is being used.

BTW - this experiment prompted me to do my first compile and first pet - the latest Broadcom STA driver for slacko - see:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=377
which works fine in slacko and survives a reboot (b43 has to be manually blacklisted).

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
image-1.png
(31.55 KiB) Downloaded 984 times
image-2.png
(34.57 KiB) Downloaded 976 times
lsmod.txt.gz
(2.88 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

#1226 Post by rerwin »

peebee, cthisbear,
Thanks for your concern about my arm. Yes, it seems to be healing well. I have resumed most of my normal activities, but must remember to avoid overloading the arm. I just have to wait out the "achey" period.

peebee,
Your result with b43 and wl is interesting. Could you send me a pmodemdiag file so I can see how it happened? Those drivers and ssb are tricky, in that b43 is loaded either by- or instead of ssb, depending on the actual hardware. B43 is not directly identified by the modaliases, so probably does not get loaded by the puppy backend_modprobe script, bypassing any preference processing. But I would like to check the logs, to verify that I can remove the "b43:wl" preference. It is puzzling, though, that wl got loaded as well as b43. Thanks for the test.
Richard

peebee

#1227 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:Your result with b43 and wl is interesting. Could you send me a pmodemdiag file so I can see how it happened?
Richard
Hi Richard

pmodemdiag sent by PM.

It maybe that b43 is the "correct" driver for my bcm4311 - it is also supported by the wl driver if that is forced into use.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Atle

Remastering problems

#1228 Post by Atle »

What could be the cause of this text during remastering?
I never noticed what this said earlier, as things worked, but now i does not, so I find this....

Post has been edited due to this new observation.

Could it be corrupt ISO that I mounted?

jim3630

#1229 Post by jim3630 »

rerwin

hope you continue to heal and feel better.

I have not had problems with my broadcom wifi as others reported here
and have not installed the patch.

wifi connect on eth1 with wl driver.

if you do need testing with mine shown below will gladly test for you.

sh-4.1# lspci -vnn | grep 14e4
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation
BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)

James C

#1230 Post by James C »

Finally getting around to moving from the original Lucid 528 to 528.004. Fresh manual frugal install. on the Athlon XP box.Zero problems....everything working out of the box.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid , version 528

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
14280 frames in 5.0 seconds
14353 frames in 5.0 seconds
13961 frames in 5.0 seconds
13882 frames in 5.0 seconds
13573 frames in 5.0 seconds
13768 frames in 5.0 seconds
13925 frames in 5.0 seconds

nooby

#1231 Post by nooby »

Lucid will lose "official" status

on Barry's blog

"Playdayz, the coordinator of Lucid Puppy, and I have agreed that by the time of the next official releases of Racy, Wary and Slacko, Lucid will be dropped from the list of "official" puppies.

Lucid is based on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx binary packages and is getting on to two years old. Even though there have been upgrades, the time has come to "de-emphasise" Lucid. However, Lucid will likely continue as another puplet, for those interested. "

Thanks to Playdayz and 01Mick0 and many many others that have made
Lucid Puppy possible. Aprt from pemasu's Snow and his other versions
The Lupu has been my main Puppy.

I am not lucky about Slacko or Saluki so this is sad news even if I get
that being based on Ubuntu old repos may be a problem.

Maybe should start a new thread but I am not good at such. So thanks to all involved
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Volhout

Lucid

#1232 Post by Volhout »

Nooby,

Don't worry. Lucid is mature, stable, and as long as you have a PC it runs on, you can enjoy it. And you read in Barry's blog that it will continue as a puppy, but not as an official distro.

What's in a name... official.

I am happy with the current 004 version, and if 1 year from now, PlayDayz could create a PET for Firefox 21 (I assume they are at 21 around that time), it will last another year......

PlayDayz (and others), thank you for all the help you provided. It its thanks to you that Puppy lives, and the Lucid series is the best puppy for me.

Volhout

sheldonisaac

Re: Lucid

#1233 Post by sheldonisaac »

Couldn't delete this -see next.
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

#1234 Post by sheldonisaac »

some snipping
Volhout wrote: as long as you have a PC it runs on, you can enjoy it.
I do indeed! Can't recall exactly why I no longer use Basic Linux or Damn Small Linux. I am very glad that Puppy Linux exists.
PlayDayz (and others), thank you for all the help you provided. It its thanks to you that Puppy lives, and the Lucid series is the best puppy for me.

Volhout
Completely agree!

Sheldon

otropogo

#1235 Post by otropogo »

Volhout wrote:Nooby,

Don't worry. Lucid is mature, stable, and as long as you have a PC it runs on, you can enjoy it. And you read in Barry's blog that it will continue as a puppy, but not as an official distro.

What's in a name... official.

I am happy with the current 004 version, and if 1 year from now, PlayDayz could create a PET for Firefox 21 (I assume they are at 21 around that time), it will last another year......

Volhout
After reading this sad news, I conclude that this is the end of the line for the experiment of Puppy use of major linux repositories, and with it the end of Puppy's aspirations to become and remain at least somewhat current.

I've just reread the release notes for Slacko 5.3.1, which attempts to provide an overview of the Puppy pack. and note that there isn't even a description of Racy, barely a mention, as one of several pups created with Woof. I don't know what, if any, major repositories Wary and Racy can use. And in fact, it's not clear whether Slacko can use current Slackware repositories, nor how much user expertise is required to install them.

The release says Slacko has the ability to "fetch" Slackware packages:
While on the Puppy Package Manager, apart from Puppy's native PET package format it can also fetch Slackware, Salix and Slacky packages in tgz or txz format.
But does it have the ability to install them?

Puppy has long been touted as an ideal beginner's distro, but in the past year or two it seems to have become seriously polarized between those whose main interest is in playing with the nuts and bolts of the various puppies, and those who are happy if they can only have recent browsers and AV apps.

Those of us who would like to use more recent technology, like USB3, or even not so recent (like pen tablets, multiple monitors, pivoting displays!), are left begging and/or waiting for someone to make us a pet.

And Slackware, alas, has a reputation for being glacially slow in updating its drivers.

So there's no joy in this Mudville today, the mighty Lucy has struck out!
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

darkcity

#1236 Post by darkcity »

It's a question of good will and were people's interest lie - everything here is done on a voluntary. The problem of getting near 100% compatibility with ubuntu's repositories is one reason people don't want to go with ubuntu.

My guess is that upups will continue in some form. and don't forget dpup!
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DPup

Puppy has gone a long way to making Linux accessible - but ease of use and installation still has a long way to go :arrow:

tony

#1237 Post by tony »

Hi,
I will be very sad if this version of puppy (5.2.8) disappears. On my laptops it has been by far the most reliable and easiest to use of the many versions of puppy available on the forum.

In my opinion it is a fundamental weakness of the forum that
the more reliable offerings are slowly buried under the many cries for help and bug reporting of the half baked ones.

Regards Tony

sheldonisaac

status of 5.2.8

#1238 Post by sheldonisaac »

tony wrote:Hi,I will be very sad if this version of puppy (5.2.8) disappears.
Unless I mess up badly (which has happened), it won't disappear from my computers.

I find 5.2.8 quite satisfactory, and think that there will probably be enough support to last me into the forseeable future.

playdayz

#1239 Post by playdayz »

As Barry said, he and I agree that now is the time to change Lucid's official status. But just because Lucid won't be official, doesn't mean it is going to disappear. It will be right there in the thread where it has always been. In my opinion the current ISO, 5.2.8.004, is quite good. There is also a package of Puppy Program Updates for those who want the latest Pmusic by zigbert, PupControl by radky, and the other programs created by members of the Puppy community. Very likely we will roll all the updates into a 5.2.8.005 ISO. For those who want something a bit more experimental, there is the Testing-01 ISO, on which rerwin has taken a leading role. With the Testing ISO Lucid is still innovating--at rerwin's suggestion it contains *all* of the drivers that tempestuous has created for Lucid. I am hoping there will be a Testing-02 ISO. I will continue to package and post the latest browsers and other progams of interest for Lucid. There is also Three-Headed Dog which is basically Lucid with the current Slacko kernel.

Thanks first to Barry, who took a chance and trusted me to represent what he had worked so hard to create. I cannot thank 01micko enough. I had some strengths and weaknesses just like everyone else--and 01micko balanced my weaknesses and brought his own considerable strengths--as everyone can see from Slacko. What Lucid is, is significantly due to Mick--the good parts anyway ;-) Thanks also to the large number of developers and testers--Bigpup at the head of the list--many are listed in the first message of the current Lucid thread. Lucid is due to all of you.

bigpup

#1240 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Very pleased to hear you still have plans and ideas to improve and tweak Lucid Puppy.
It is very nice knowing that programs, updated, will just work and not have to worry about, or deal with, how to make it work on this version of Puppy.

I for one, do not consider myself at the head of the list of developers or testers, and am very humbled, by the abilities, shown by others. I salute and thank all of them for their support of Lucid and willingness to fix and troubleshoot the problems and bugs.
Your willingness, to listen to us all, is what makes Lucid great.
Thank you and all supporters of Lucid!!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)