Wary Tiny (81mb)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
laika

#21 Post by laika »

Tman wrote:I haven't tested it on any system that old, so I can't be sure if it works or not. Let us know if it does, ok?
Good news, Tman! It works nicely on that old laptop. I haven't put any kind of load on it, but it's acceptably peppy from what I've seen so far. It gave me the option of letting it create a swap file along with the save file at the first shutdown, so I chose to let it do that. Next boot all that was taken care of. And even from a Pristine boot, it had more RAM available than others I've tried, both old and new.

The boot modes seem to be reversed; Normal Mode gives me Pristine and vice versa. I have to be pretty heavy-hand when tapping the touchpad, though moving the cursor is smooth and easy enough. I'm very happy with Wary Tiny's performance so far. If I can find another stick of RAM for cheap I might get it, but it seems reasonably useable as-is with Wary Tiny and the swap file.

I'll let you know what I think going forward. I'm excited about it. Thanks again for your suggestion of a swap file and for putting Wary Tiny out there for us to use!

Tman

#22 Post by Tman »

laika,

That is good news, indeed. As you know, Tiny is more of a barebones-type puplet. For a broader range of software, I still think you should give Classic-Pup a try. Also, my Solidpup is wary-based as well, but it may be slower than Wary Tiny for you because of the size difference.

I will have to check out the boot-mode options for the Live-CD. If they are reversed, then I will definately have to fix it. It's getting late here in Toronto. I will check it out tommorrow.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, in Solidpup you can switch to Jwm which is supposed to be lighter and faster than Icewm. On my systems I don't notice the difference in speed between the two, but on your laptop, you might notice be able to notice it.

Tman

#23 Post by Tman »

It is confirmed that I messed up the boot menu for the Live-CD when I hastily changed it the last time. It seems I only reversed the title names for the first and second boot options, but did not reverse the necessary inputs (pfix=ram, pfix=fsck). This is kind of embarrassing. I am surprised that no-one has reported this problem before. Perhaps most puppians extract the ISO for a frugal install, which is what I do as well (saves time and CD's).

Thank You laika, for catching this. The bug is fixed now. I have updated the ISO as well as the download link on the first post. It is exactly the same as the last version, except for the correction of the grub menu for the Live-CD.

laika

#24 Post by laika »

Wary Tiny is really fast on my desktop box, Tman. Got online with
Roaring Penguin with no troubles. This is one sweet little pup! Dillo has
come a long way since I last used it. Pmusic looks interesting. I'll probably
add Midnight Commander and nano on that old laptop, but out-of-the-box
Wary Tiny has everything I need and without getting in my way. I'm very
favorably impressed by Wary Tiny.

I'm glad you found the feedback useful. That was a little confusing at first
when I was looking for the swap file and save file. It took we a few minutes
to realize that it was not my mistake. That's been the only little spot of trouble.

Thanks again for making Wary Tiny available.

Tman

#25 Post by Tman »

No problem. Wary runs well on my Athlon64 X2 5200 as well. I started this project as a one-shot deal, but if there is a demand for a barebones-type Wary, then when I have time, I might make Wary Tiny for future versions. Dillo is so small and it is superfast. The one major thing that it is missing is the ability to play flash videos. Currently I use Dillo as my defaulthtmlviewer and Firefox as my defaultbrowser (lots of handy plugins).

Glad you like it. Making puplets for myself gives me a sense of pride. But I also find joy knowing that others use and enjoy them as well. :)

greengeek

#26 Post by greengeek »

Wow, Tman, this is great! I was looking for a small iso to burn to a credit card CD to keep in my wallet as a rescue CD (been using a DSL one till now but it's a bit clunky), and I think this tiny Wary fits the bill perfectly.

Just one question - How hard is it to alter the initial boot so that it drops into Pristine as a default? (Not sure if I followed your early discussion with f00 - I think he wanted the opposite of what I'm asking...?).

I was trialling it on a puppy PC and didnt want any existing data accessed. It was the first time I've seen a grub4dos screen and threw me for a second or two.

cheers

Tman

#27 Post by Tman »

If you have no warysavefiles in your hard-drive, then the Live-CD should boot like a Pristine boot anyways, so remastering might not be needed.

If you really want to do it, and the boot order is all you wish to change, then just remaster. Don't change anything to the tmp/root and tmp/etc folders when it prompts you. But when it asks you to make further changes like adding extra sfs files, you need to go to the puppylivecdbuild folder (which was created by the remaster script) and edit the menu.lst file. It's easy, just switch them around with a text editor. They are the entries that start with 'title'.

I was going to recommend SolidPup, but I Googled wallet cd's and discovered they can hold up to 100MB.

Edit: Actually, you can just use ISOmaster if the menu.lst file is all you want to change.

greengeek

#28 Post by greengeek »

Thanks, that tip about using Isomaster did the trick.

Now I have it exactly as I want it and learnt heaps in the process.

Much obliged!

greengeek

#29 Post by greengeek »

Tman wrote:I was going to recommend SolidPup, but I Googled wallet cd's and discovered they can hold up to 100MB.
Must admit I had to chuckle when I googled SolidPup. Google wasn't sure I had asked for the right thing...

Feel free to delete the post if you don't find the pic as funny as I did... :-)
Attachments
solidPup%20chuckle.jpg
(66.01 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
Last edited by greengeek on Mon 16 Jul 2012, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

Tman

#30 Post by Tman »

greengeek,

I am not offended by Google's confused comment. Actually I want to thank you for that post because I may not have learned about Sneekylinux's review of SolidPup till much later.

He doesn't like the X7-Blue theme I created..awww :cry:. I put quite a bit of energy into that. There is a reason for the theme to resemble Windows; it gives a sense of familiarity. My goal is to get more Windows users to convert; not to get old linux users to stay.

If Bill Gates is a true philanthropist, he souldn't really care. And he's rich enough as it is.

mrreality13

#31 Post by mrreality13 »

i used tux's 214 for a while on my old lappy .but as a distro hopper/derivative hopper i tried this lil gem it works well on a p1@300 mhz w/96 megs ram-face book even loads -although takes almost a full 5 min..--lol//wifi worked on a linksis wpc11 ver4 otb

Tman

#32 Post by Tman »

SolidPup is better than Wary Tiny (imho)

Try the Tint2 version. It's a little bit bigger at 97MB, but you get more bang for the buck. ( zero bucks..lol) Icewm is still included. You can disable wbar to decrease cpu usage. ( the link for it is in the /root/Startup folder)

JackWagon

xlock

#33 Post by JackWagon »

Wary Tiny works good on my Dell GX-110 OPTIPLEX PIII 800Mhz

Only thing that bugs me is xlock will not work from the desktop 'lock' button or PupControl>Desktop>Xlock>. Although It will run from gExec from PupControl>Install>Run Program i'm not experienced enough to fix it. There seems to be something missing. I read somewhere on the forum there needs to be a file(s) in /usr/local/apps/xlock/local directory, but it is empty.

Can I copy anything from a Luci 5.2.5 save file to make this work as intended or what do you suggest?

JW
Last edited by JackWagon on Fri 24 Feb 2012, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

darkcity

#34 Post by darkcity »

does the file /root/.xlockrc contain your encrypted password?

if it is blank - delete and try xlock again :arrow:

JackWagon

#35 Post by JackWagon »

darkcity wrote:does the file /root/.xlockrc contain your encrypted password?

if it is blank - delete and try xlock again :arrow:
Yes, there is a password. As I mentioned, it works fine from CL.

darkcity

#36 Post by darkcity »

Normally the desktop icons just point to a short script that in turn points to a binary-

for example-

'write' points to script /usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor
which contains-

#!/bin/sh
exec abiword "$@"

abiword is at /usr/bin/abiword

--

xlock however has a binary /usr/bin/xlock

and

a long script at
/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun

my guess is the CL is running the binary - which means there may be a problem with the script. XLock has a menu entry as well what happens when you click on that?

try running /usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun in terminal . . . :arrow:

Tman

Re: xlock

#37 Post by Tman »

JackWagon wrote:Wary Tiny works good on my Dell GX-110 OPTIPLEX PIII 800Mhz

Only thing that bugs me is xlock will not work from the desktop 'lock' button or PupControl>Desktop>Xlock>. Although It will run from gExec from PupControl>Install>Run Program i'm not experienced enough to fix it. There seems to be something missing. I read somewhere on the forum there needs to be a file(s) in /usr/local/apps/xlock/local directory, but it is empty.

Can I copy anything from a Luci 5.2.5 save file to make this work as intended or what do you suggest?

JW
JackWagon,

Wary Tiny was more of a quick, fun project that I created in a 2-day period. If you want to copy the xlcock files over, I would copy it from the original Wary Puppy or a puplet based on it. I don't really use Wary Tiny these days. SolidPup 5.1.1-Tint2 version is based on the same thing Wary Tiny is based on. If you aren't accustomed to the minimalist style of Tint2, you can switch to IceWM from the menu.
( for Tint2 version, right-click on the desktop to bring up the menu )
It is 16Mb larger, but it comes with more apps, bugfixes and is more up-to-date. It should run fine on your computer. A linux swap file is recommended if you have low RAM. If you want to reduce CPU/RAM usage, disable wbar and CPUTemp by removing them from the /root/Startup folder.

For older computers, I would favour SolidPup and Akita.
For newer ones... Exprimo, Saluki, Slacko or Lucid.

yr1945

hyperlinks and window size for rox

#38 Post by yr1945 »

re: warytiny

how can i click on hyperlinks in abiword and have firefox open automatically... currently, when i click or double click on hyperlinks nothing happens...

also, i would like to set a smaller size for the rox window when first opened... can i do it? currently, it opens quite wide when only 4 or 5 files are present, but expands nicely when 15 or 20 files exist... i know how to make some adjustments to the pinboard...

thanks in advance for your support...

Tman

Re: hyperlinks and window size for rox

#39 Post by Tman »

yr1945

I should be concentrating on something else, but it seems that spending roughly a year and a half of my life using Puppy and this forum has created a habit and I keep coming back here over and over, whenever I get bored.

For the record, I stopped developing, and don't plan to do so again for a long time, if ever. It all depends on how good a bash scripter and C programmer I become in the future. And it will depend on my motivation as well. The puplets I've made are no longer maintained.

I don't have Wary Tiny installed, but I believe if you open Rox-Filer, right-click inside a Rox-Filer window, choose:

options --> Tools/Minibuffer

and uncheck the box that says "Width of toolbar sets the minimum size of window" , you should get a smaller Rox-Filer window, when few items are displayed.

About Abiword; I did notice that there is an option to insert a hyperlink, but the letters were grayed-out and I was not able to use that option.
I must confess, that I don't really use Abiword, so maybe if you post the question in the Howto section of this forum, someone else who is more familiar with it may help you.
It should apply to Abiword and all other pups and not specifically for just Wary Tiny.

greengeek

#40 Post by greengeek »

Hi Tman - I just gave the TINT2 version that you mentioned a try on my 10 yr old Toshiba laptop and it is a really nice Puppy! So quick too.

I have not seen any puppy open media files so fast before. And the load-sfs-on-the-fly function makes it really extendable. Love it! Nice work.

ps: Love the periodic table!! My wife is a chemistry teacher and I love showing her what puppy can do.