Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 21:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Racy NOP 5.2.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 6 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
darkcity

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb 2012, 12:47    Post_subject:  

added to big list Cool

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyVersion

richardyusan

PostPosted: Sat 18 Feb 2012, 22:27    Post_subject:  

this pupplet is great Very Happy
maureenc

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb 2012, 10:40    Post_subject:  

Thank you for this brilliant Puppy, Gray.

I have a problem with Opera though as it keeps forcing me to use Google Aus to search and I can't find a way around it!

Also, do you know if Ultra DMA BIOS settings can be used when running Linux? Mine was set to Code 2 as it previously had WINXP loaded, but I don't think this is right for Linux?

I wonder if this is the reason that the fan is going berserk? Is it trying to run run too fast? I don't know very much about theses settings, as you can see!

Cheers
Terryphi

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb 2012, 12:30    Post_subject:  

maureenc,

I don't know which country you are in but this is what you need to do:

You can add or amend a search engine in Opera using Tools>Preferences>Search.

Highlight the Google entry and select "Edit". You can see the URL used for the search by clicking on "Details" and looking in the address box. Copy this text somewhere and you should be able to work out what needs amending for your country. (You may already know the appropriate string from another browser or OS.) You can create a new Google entry for your country by selecting "Add" in the search settings screen and giving it a distinct name to avoid a clash with the existing Google entry. (For example, In the UK I name mine GoogleUK.) Also make your new Google entry the default search engine by selecting this option in the "Details" box.

maureenc

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb 2012, 14:18    Post_subject:  

Terryphi,

Thank you very much for that information. I will test it out on Opera on my desktop as I currently have gone back to Browserlinux on the old Packard Bell Easynote I was testing RacyNop on.

Reason being that I had a really frustrating time getting Wireless up and running and then stable on both Racy and Wary. I don't understand why it is a two minute job to setup on Browserlinux and it keeps on working after every bootup.... But on the other versions it just won't work properly.... Even though the setup is exactly the same.

I have a headache from trying today so will wait for a few days before I try again, I think!

Having this noisy fan doesn't help.

I noted that Gray said that the revised version (which I had loaded) has Imsensors..... I couldn't find it anywhere on mine.

Many thanks.
maureenc

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb 2012, 16:32    Post_subject:  

Aaaargh.... This is so frustrating....

I love this Racy NOP but some of it doesn't seem to like me....

I get my Linksys card working fine in Simple Network Setup.... It won't set up properly using the Wizard because that wants to add "restricted" to my "managed" WEP setup..... Which works perfectly OK without it using SNS!....And also in Browserlinux.

But when I reboot, Racy doesn't recognize the PCMIA card until I eject it and the put it back in again..... Does anyone know why this should be the case? I've trawled through zillions of posts but there doesn't seem to be a conclusive answer....

Today I ended up accidentally overwriting my etc/rc.d/rc.local file by pasting in my Network details! How the heck do I find out what should be in there?

I would be really grateful for any info....
maureenc

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2012, 16:56    Post_subject:  

I had to give up with RACY NOP, Gray because I just could not get the Internet connection working smoothly.... It would set up OK eventually.... after much pfaffing about but then would be lost on the next startup.

I've gone back to Wary 5.2.1 on which the same Linksys card worked perfectly "straight out of the box" with no messing about at all.... and reboots beautifully.... Every time.

I will just have to uninstall all of the bits I don't want, won't I.

I did like your version though... And I have installed Thunar....
CRF

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar 2012, 02:22    Post_subject:  

Gray,

I love your NOP puppies...

Any chance you might come out with a Lucid NOP?
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2012, 19:59    Post_subject: G'day Gray, I Herd U Missed Me, I'm back...
Sub_title: Any Chance of an Updated VBox w/ GuestAdditions 4 this 3.0.7 Ke*nel, Please?

Pet or SFS, Thanx

SmileK
Ps. Go the Blues!
mistfire

PostPosted: Wed 09 May 2012, 23:21    Post_subject: Flickering Mouse Pointer and extreme display brightness  

Gray i noticed that the mouse pointer in Racy Nop in flickering. It appears and disappears and the display brightness is high. I hope this problem will be resolved on the next Racy nop release
Henry

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2012, 19:31    Post_subject: EDIT: Item 1. only SOLVED  

Good Day,

Haven't been to a Nop forum in a while, although I've used one Nop or another exclusively since the first.

Have finally switched to this one, racyNOP-5.2.2r1 from my long term favorite, QNop-1.2.

Main reason was that my new Aspire One netbook needed a newer kernel.

I am very pleased with both Racy and Aspire. I do have a couple of questions:

1. How does one remove the tray applets for savefile space and for battery state. They work well enough but take up tray space, and the pwidgets are better I think.
EDIT: Simply move the unwanted item(s) from /root/Startup to some folder in /mnt/home. They can be moved back to restore.

2. Early on above I read Geoffrey's patch for a logout problem, which I think gray implemented in r1. I still seem to have this problem or similar. Any word on that?

Thanks

Edited_time_total
Henry

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 12:46    Post_subject: Scanner and wireless don't work.  

I've been completing configuration and testing of RacyNop for serious work, and despite lots of research and effort I cannot seem to detect my scanner or to use wireless.

My impression is that Racy itself and RacyNop both have these problems. Before going into detail, I would like to ask if anyone has had success with them.

(I should say that wired ethenet and printing on th HP 4480 all-in-one work well.)
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 13:00    Post_subject: Re: Scanner and wireless don't work.  

Henry wrote:
I've been completing configuration and testing of RacyNop for serious work, and despite lots of research and effort I cannot seem to detect my scanner or to use wireless.

What model is this? A Deskjet F4480 or a Photosmart C4480?

What have you tried so far? What driver packages? What scanner software?

Does scanning work when connected by USB?

Does your unit work in other Puppies?
Henry

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 15:30    Post_subject:  

Hello -good to hear from theexpert on printing and scanning!

rcrsn51 wrote:

What model is this? A Deskjet F4480 or a Photosmart C4480?

An HP Photosmart 4480 that I've used for years daily with my QuirkyNop-1.2.

I just move the USB cable to the adjacent new Acer Aspire One 722, Linux 3.0.7 [i686 arch]
I plan to go RacyNop in the old computer too. I think it has the same problem there. but I'll recheck and confirm that shortly (have to get oof here before doing that)

What have you tried so far? What driver packages?
What scanner software?

I use basically the same software in both computers. Printing works well in both. I'll check the list and get it to you shortly, but basically it's the normal Xsane, HPliplite, sane-backends, etc. Tried Peasyscan for comparison. Same symptoms.

Does scanning work when connected by USB?

Yes, when it works, of course..

Does your unit work in other Puppies

My unit (the 4480) works perfectly with my usual QuirkyNop-1.2

Off to check the list. Will return.

Henry
Henry

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2012, 15:53    Post_subject:  

RacyNop has the same problem (No scanners found) in my good old everyday machine.

This list is pretty much what I have in both machines:

sane-backends-1.0.21-q1
libnetsnmp-15-mu-p4
sdl-1.2.11
mesa-7.6-q1
xsane-0.997-patched-w5
libgphoto2-2.4.8-q1
hpliplite-3-11.5
CUPS-1.4.1

Henry
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 6 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next