[SOLVED] Slacko Puppy - WIFI problems using Frisbee

Booting, installing, newbie
natgab

[SOLVED] Slacko Puppy - WIFI problems using Frisbee

#1 Post by natgab »

I am having problems with getting the WIFI to work on my Slacko install. The system installed fine, I tried using Frisbee to set up my WIFI. I can't get it to accept my WPA password, I use static IP. ( see picture ). IP addresses xxx out, but all have same info that works in Ubuntu / Windows.

I used the wired ethernet to install some programs & video dirver. WIFI works fine in other two OSs listed. I had previously used Lucid Puppy ? and had gotten WIFI to work, but don't remember if it was the same set up. Should I try different program, I don't know if the last Puppy that worked had Frisbee. TIA
Attachments
frisbee_vidcapture2.jpg
(102.86 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
Last edited by natgab on Tue 06 Mar 2012, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

Try 1st Simple Network setup, in the menu/setup/Interrnet connection wizard

If that doesn't work either try dougal's rework of Barry's original network wizard, at the bottom of the Internet connection wizard page
It has an advanced tab which facilitates Static IPs, but you may need to specify DNS

see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76066

Aitch :)

Monsie

Slacko Puppy - WIFI problems using Frisbee

#3 Post by Monsie »

Hi natgab,

You might want to check out this thread also:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

as there may be some additional info that you can use for troubleshooting your problem even though it is not specific to Slacko.

Cheers,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

01micko

Re: Slacko Puppy - WIFI problems using Frisbee

#4 Post by 01micko »

natgab wrote:I use static IP.
May I ask why?

If it's because you are connecting ad-hoc don't use Frisbee, use Dougal's Network Wizard, even if it's not ad-hoc. Unfortunately Frisbee does not uninstall very cleanly but Dougal's should still work. SNS doesn't support static IP.
YMMV.

For a session only connection you can try pns-tool in the Network menu.

Failing all that see Monsie's suggestion above.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

natgab

Re: Slacko Puppy - WIFI problems using Frisbee

#5 Post by natgab »

01micko wrote:
natgab wrote:I use static IP.
May I ask why?

If it's because you are connecting ad-hoc don't use Frisbee, use Dougal's Network Wizard, even if it's not ad-hoc. Unfortunately Frisbee does not uninstall very cleanly but Dougal's should still work. SNS doesn't support static IP.
YMMV.

For a session only connection you can try pns-tool in the Network menu.

Failing all that see Monsie's suggestion above.

HTH
--My brother set-up our network with static IP, I guess as an extra security measure. We used to have WEP and he upgraded to WPA2 and just kept the static IP.

I will try using Dougals and hope it works. I'm reading the other two links above. The weird thing is my set up as-is has worked with Puppy before. Unfortunately I erased that USB a while ago. :(

natgab

Solved problem with common sense

#6 Post by natgab »

Another tech problem solved by common sense. - WRONG PASSWORD !!!!!!

Let me first say that I tried Racy, NOP, and now Lucid. I tried Lucid again because I previously had WIFI on it. Ended up that it had nothing to do with which version I tried or which version network app. I used. Lucid worked perfect for me as soon as I used the correct password.

I had been trying to use static IP as that is what I use on my Hackintosh without problem. I also was using my WPA2 password I had written down on my cheat sheet. I asked my brother again ( who set up our home network ) if we had to use static, since it was causing problems on Puppy. He said no, that since he upgraded to WPA2 he had set it to ( automatic ) DHCP.

I had him give me all the network info again. Guess what? He had a second WPA2 password written down on his information. But the weird thing is that I still use the other one in my Hackintosh and it works perfect. Having DHCP on the other hand, will not prevent you from setting a static IP on a computer. I still I have this on my Hackintosh. I wanted to explain this as much as possible since it is always good to remind people that setting and tricks that work in one operating system ( OS X in my case ) do not always work in a different one, even if they are similar.

Anybody know why Mac OS X accepted one password but Linux requires a different one? Does WPA2 allow more than one password?