GUI to download LibreOffice - beta quality

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
01micko

Re: amazing

#81 Post by 01micko »

shinobar wrote:Really amazing :!:
Mada a japanese SFS, LibreOffice-3.4.4_ja.sfs and works.
:)

3.4.5 works too, and I just tested 3.5.0rc2.. works .. loaded a .ppt I made today at college, tutor's were warning against using libre/openoffice, all works perfectly. Even just created a .ppt with libre and loaded and worked perfectly on win7/office 2003. :P
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jasper

#82 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

Possibly off topic - what I would like to see is a fast-load sfs, or even better a portable linux version of LibreOffice with a UK (etc.) working spellchecker that opens with the LibreOffice Quickstarter icon in my (Slacko) system tray.

Probably off topic - I see Abiword (v 2.9.1 for sure) has a Presentation function plugin. I assume LibreOffice is impressive, but wonder how comprehensive and effective Abiword's program is for making and viewing.

My regards

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#83 Post by Lobster »

The Abiword presentation is simple and functional :)

From what I remember it can not export in many (if any formats)
Openoffice can create web presentations, SWF, PDF etc
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Jasper

#84 Post by Jasper »

Hi Lobster,

That was quick. May I ask if you made a Puppy Presentation or three?

My regards

gcmartin

Using Abiword instead of LibreOffice

#85 Post by gcmartin »

I am not the greatest authority on this topic for Presentations, but I have found that Abiword is fine as long as it is generating Abiword file formats. And you will be using the Presentation on the same PC that you will generated it under Abiword. BUT....

I have continually (past 3 years) had Abiword issues when trying to use a format created by Abiword on other products....namely Apple, Microsoft Office, Open Office, Google Office, etc.

LibreOffice, OpenOffice, and even Microsoft/Apple will, "seemingly", generate a much more consistent Presentation that I can send or use across platforms.

if you intend to create a file that will be used on another PC for a presentation, I would recommend using one of the more mainstream products than one created by Abiword.

Just an observation and something to consider for a Presentation such that you won't experience any embarrassment when delivering your pitch.

Hope this helps

01micko

#86 Post by 01micko »

v 0.13 is out

-fixes gui (and hopefully future proofs) for libreoffice-3.5.0. They have now 3 stable versions on the server, previous gui only allowed for 2, now there is no limit, using a tree in gtkdialog instead of Xdialog which at best has a limit of 3 buttons.

-fixed a logic error where if run in terminal it stays open

See main post

shinobar

clicks for LibreOffice

#87 Post by shinobar »

Pemasu made LibreOffice3.5-Rox-right-click.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=114
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

gcmartin

LibreOffice

#88 Post by gcmartin »

I think this is genuinely a good GUI tool.

But there is one missing aspect that maybe the GUI can address in the future.

Create (and maybe install although not necessarily necessary) the LibreOffice PET for those Puppy users who run a Live Media environment.

Plugging an SFS into my filesystem for subsequent boots does not provide consistent behavior depending on which PUP we're talking about.

The Live Media environment is addressed by PPM and PETs. SFSs are only a side benefit for single use should a one-time SFS need arise. PETs are persistent.

Thanks in advance for guidance or consideration
P.S. In almost all cases, a PET has been provided in the past, for our benefit. So I hope everyone understands that this is NOT a complaint as the PPM and PET processor addresses Live media users adequately.

shinobar

Re: LibreOffice

#89 Post by shinobar »

gcmartin wrote:Plugging an SFS into my filesystem for subsequent boots does not provide consistent behavior depending on which PUP we're talking about.
Depending, yes.
But will you test the sfs_load-1.3.9?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 72&t=64354
Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.2.9.2 has the sfs_load-1.3.9 built in.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76247

greengeek

#90 Post by greengeek »

Hi o1micko,

I could not see any info in the first post which clarifies which Puppies this applies to or might be limited to. (Might have missed it 'cos I'm tired..)

Could this be used on an old Puppy 4.3.1 installation? cheers

shinobar

on an old Puppy

#91 Post by shinobar »

greengeek wrote:Could this be used on an old Puppy 4.3.1 installation?
@greengeek
Have you tried? and got a trouble?
I am using it on '431JP returns', the Japanese special edition based on Puppy 431.

gcmartin

Re: LibreOffice

#92 Post by gcmartin »

shinobar wrote: ... will you test the sfs_load-1.3.9?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 72&t=64354
Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.2.9.2 has the sfs_load-1.3.9 built in.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76247
Thanks Shiinobar for your help.

Yes, I will do that at first chance over this coming weekend.

Question
  • Am I to assume that sfs_load will load the SFS in such a way that when the system is shutdown and a save-session to the CD occurs, that on the next reboot, the system will be loaded with all the installed apps present just as is done for PPM apps?
And, FYI, I have found that in the past, the PETs seem to be similar in size to SFSs. Not sure if there is developer magic occurring. This is just an observation for I understand the reasons one might steer to developing a SFSs for a system feature.

Hope this is clear information and question

greengeek

Re: on an old Puppy

#93 Post by greengeek »

shinobar wrote:@greengeek
Have you tried? and got a trouble?
I am using it on '431JP returns', the Japanese special edition based on Puppy 431.
I loaded the get_libreoffice-013.pet (assumed it was the best one as it must be the most recent..) but when I go to the "document" menu and click get libreoffice I end up with a gtkdialog-splash that says "Please wait a moment" and has a rotating arrow on a green rectangle. Seems to be hanging like that forever.

No visible network activity so I don't think it's actually downloading.

shinobar

#94 Post by shinobar »

greengeek wrote:I loaded the get_libreoffice-013.pet (assumed it was the best one as it must be the most recent..) but when I go to the "document" menu and click get libreoffice I end up with a gtkdialog-splash that says "Please wait a moment" and has a rotating arrow on a green rectangle. Seems to be hanging like that forever.
Type 'get_libreoffice' from a virtual terminal so that you may get more information. Wait 30 sec if it seem hanging.

greengeek

#95 Post by greengeek »

shinobar wrote:Type 'get_libreoffice' from a virtual terminal so that you may get more information. Wait 30 sec if it seem hanging.
Thanks Shinobar,

The first time I try this I saw:

# get_libreoffice
ok
en-GB
/usr/sbin/get_libreoffice: line 216: gtkdialog: command not found
EXIT="EXIT on mouse-over"
3.4.5 3.5.0

A folder called libre_download is created on my sda1, but has no contents.

I waited 5 minutes but there seemed to be no progress. When I reboot and repeat the process I now get something almost identical except it refers to "EXIT on timeout" instead of EXIT on mouseover. Still hangs, with no network activity evident.

pemasu

#96 Post by pemasu »

If you type gtkdialog --version...what you get...It is possible you will need gtkdialog-0.8.0 Thunor ie gtkdialog4...just brainstorming

Code: Select all

# gtkdialog --version
gtkdialog version 0.8.0 (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011 Thunor

greengeek

#97 Post by greengeek »

pemasu wrote:If you type gtkdialog --version...what you get..
I get the following:

bash: gtkdialog: command not found

Does this mean I have no gtkdialog at all?

gcmartin

LibreOffice PET assistance request

#98 Post by gcmartin »

This problem has come up before on the SFS issues with LIve Media users.

Live media users MUST manually create personal techniques for their SFSs use and needs in the absence of a PET for installation. (It is a personal preference of a developer to provide packages for our use. In all cases they are doing what they feel is the right thing for the right audience, AND I respect that.)

So, since we are on our own, I'll ask for some obvious assistance.

Request
  • I believe there is a tool that exist to export SFS contents to a folder..
  • I also believe there is a tool where a folder can be made into a PET.
  • The PET can then be installed into the running system.
  • It will be tracked by the PPM and will be backed up by the save-session (I guess this is assuming that Libre would install into the system so that save-session would be able to capture it)
  • Would this work for Live media users?
  • Is there a procedure for soing this somewhere already in existence?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

pemasu

#99 Post by pemasu »

LibreOffice-3.5.0-en_US.pet has been uploaded to the exprimo repo. It has rox left and right clicks included.
I found the reason why LibreOffice pets created from get_libreoffice sfs does not update the menu. There is one broken symlink which causes it. I found the reason when I launched the pet installation from console with petget command. The error was seen that way. Removing that broken symlink and everything was ok.
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... _en-US.pet

01micko

#100 Post by 01micko »

Hi all,

greengeek,

IIRC, Puppy-431 only has gtkdialog2 and gtkdilog3 executables. I haven't got a check for version which I should put in. Perhaps for now putting in a symlink "gtkdialog" targeting gtkdialog3 will fix your issue.

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3 /usr/sbin/gtkdialog
I'm not in Puppy at the moment so can't check, will do later.

EDIT:Ok, I wrote this before Thunor updated gtkdialog, so gtkdialog3 will work, so all that is needed is the above symlink. I have only one call that misses gtkdialog3 which I'll fix for the next version.

-

gcmartin,

To install the libreoffice in a pfix=ram install (pupmode=5) isn't supported at this stage, but I can implement it. It would require that your machine has about 1GB of free RAM. I may put in code that checks for system RAM (say at least 1.5GB) and then a check for available RAM (1GB) and then apply a case whereby a .pet is generated, which can be saved for later use.

HTH