Diamond - 9 May 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Colonel Panic

#21 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for this one, it looks interesting. I'm downloading it now.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

gcmartin

#22 Post by gcmartin »

Good idea on creation. ISO size is not important to me. Functionality and interoperation on the LAN is MOST important.

Nice work for a 32bit PUP. Keep up the good work. (Assuming your next incarnation is going to be 5.28 based)

davec51

No Internet

#23 Post by davec51 »

This is the first Puppy I have ever tried that doesn't let me connect. There seems to be no module to load.

TLM

Re: No Internet

#24 Post by TLM »

davec51 wrote:This is the first Puppy I have ever tried that doesn't let me connect. There seems to be no module to load.
Hi, sorry to hear about connection issues. Is it a wired or wireless conneciton you have? What kind of network adapter do you have?

davec51

#25 Post by davec51 »

"Hi, sorry to hear about connection issues. Is it a wired or wireless conneciton you have? What kind of network adapter do you have?"

It seems to be a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx gigabit C controller, if that's what you're asking. As I said, I must have installed a dozen Puppies of all kinds, never failed to find a connection. The computer is an older Pentium IV Dell GX520.

nooby

#26 Post by nooby »

Suppose that I have tested some 25 different Puppies.
Could be less or much more. I did try to test each that
got published in this forum.

So out of some 25 only two or three failed to get internet.
Diamond is among these three.

TXZ is another and then the third I fail to remember which is was.

So would be cool if all of us tested TXZ again and looked for
how TXZ and Diamond are similar? Maybe same script used
or same kernel or same whatever it is?

IIRC TXZ was so nasty that it shut off the LAN so not even Win7
nor any linux could get it going. The only way to get LAN back
was to take out battery of the Netbook and take out power plug
and then let it's RAM drain to zero and then start it up again
with Lupu and then it worked for Lupu or Win again.

So something odd with the drivers there.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

davec51

Diamond and the Internet

#27 Post by davec51 »

Thanks, Nooby. When something goes wrong I always suspect that I'm doing something wrong. If it's a more general problem I'm off the hook.

TLM

#28 Post by TLM »

I must apologize it does appear that there may be some networking glitches. I just unhooked my wired connection on my desktop and plugged in a usb wireless adapter. It connected ok, the only problem is: now that i have gone back to the wired, my stay connected no longer works no matter what i do. I have to run the internet connection wizard at every boot to set it back up, this despite having clicked on the Stay Connected to Internet function. I am keeping a list of bugs, and am thinking that next release, i may just begin fresh and remaster again from scratch. Am working on a release based on Lucid 528 too. Please provide any feedback, especially if you are having networking issues.

Colonel Panic

#29 Post by Colonel Panic »

A quick update; I've tried Diamond now, and although I'm not currently posting from it, it's one of the Puppies I'm likely to be using in the near future. I see it as a good update for the old Open Office based Pups such as Muppy. Thanks for putting it together.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

TLM

#30 Post by TLM »

Colonel Panic wrote:A quick update; I've tried Diamond now, and although I'm not currently posting from it, it's one of the Puppies I'm likely to be using in the near future. I see it as a good update for the old Open Office based Pups such as Muppy. Thanks for putting it together.

Cheers,

CP .
Thank you for the kind words. Stand by; a new version based on 528 is just about a week away :) It is mostly the same, except with Abiword and Gnumeric instead of full blown LibreOffice, however i will have the LibreOfice pet available as a separate download.

tubeguy

#31 Post by tubeguy »

Love this pup. :D I mirrored the iso here:
http://tubeguy.host56.com/iso/Diamond_2_12rtp.iso
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

batchain

Diamond 2.12

#32 Post by batchain »

Dear Sir:

I have been using Diamond 2.12 for three days with no trouble.

Kernel modules auto-load for my hardware:

Video chip: Intel 845G (i915)
Sound chip: Intel 82801DB (snd_intel8x0)
Ethernet: Realtek RTL-8139 (8139too)
Wireless: 3Com OfficeConnect (zd1211rw)

I chose the 'intel' driver during Xorg setup at first boot.

My only concern is the default enabling of Java in Firefox.
Some people might consider that a security problem.

Thank you for both the clean GUI and including
Firefox 10 with a working Flash.

Kind regards,

Bat

TLM

#33 Post by TLM »

tubeguy wrote:Love this pup. :D I mirrored the iso here:
http://tubeguy.host56.com/iso/Diamond_2_12rtp.iso
Thank you :D its always a good thing when the availability of a puplet increases.

TLM

Re: Diamond 2.12

#34 Post by TLM »

batchain wrote:Dear Sir:

I have been using Diamond 2.12 for three days with no trouble.

Kernel modules auto-load for my hardware:

Video chip: Intel 845G (i915)
Sound chip: Intel 82801DB (snd_intel8x0)
Ethernet: Realtek RTL-8139 (8139too)
Wireless: 3Com OfficeConnect (zd1211rw)

I chose the 'intel' driver during Xorg setup at first boot.

My only concern is the default enabling of Java in Firefox.
Some people might consider that a security problem.

Thank you for both the clean GUI and including
Firefox 10 with a working Flash.

Kind regards,

Bat
Thank you for the feedback. I was pretty sure i had the java DISABLED by default in FireFox. However i might of missed it. I will run the live cd and doublecheck. The coming 528 version will not have java. The java package was necessary for LibreOffice to run, and it installed the firefox java plugin as well, but i think i had it disabled.

TLM

#35 Post by TLM »

New version based on Lucid 528 will be uploaded this evening! Check back for the download link. There is a screenshot of the new version in the second post in this thread if anyone wants a sneak peak.

TLM

#36 Post by TLM »

New version based on Lucid 528.004. Drastically reduced iso size. See first post for download link.

Colonel Panic

#37 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi. Just downloaded and and now posting from the new Diamond (5.2.8 ), it's another great Puppy.

Thanks for all your hard work! I think I'll still keep the old one around though for when I need a good live implementation of Libre Office without having to download it again.

Cheers,

CP .

davec51

Printing on wired LAN

#38 Post by davec51 »

Just using the new version on CD. Internet connection is fine now, but a new problem has arisen: I can't get the printer (HP) to work. I set up the CUPS as usual, the printer shows up on my LibreOffice, but there is no printing. I set it up several times, so it's not likely that I made a mistake in the setup. Is it a bug, or just my usual incompetence?

TLM

Re: Printing on wired LAN

#39 Post by TLM »

davec51 wrote:Just using the new version on CD. Internet connection is fine now, but a new problem has arisen: I can't get the printer (HP) to work. I set up the CUPS as usual, the printer shows up on my LibreOffice, but there is no printing. I set it up several times, so it's not likely that I made a mistake in the setup. Is it a bug, or just my usual incompetence?
Did you add LibreOffice? The new 528 version of Diamond does not come with LibreOffice. However I have Diamond528 installed (full) on my PC, and i was able to configure my HP PSC1610 printer and print from Abiword without any issues. CUPS did not list my printer model, but i have seen this in the past; i just choose the driver for HP PSC 2110 and it works fine. Let me try it from the live cd and see if it works there as well.

davec51

LAN Printing

#40 Post by davec51 »

I used a LibreOffice .sfs that was already on my hard drive. The printer is HD Photosmart 4600 series, and with all Puppies I use the first printer available for Photosmart.