MUT (Media Utility Tool) open testing

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Jesse

MUT (Media Utility Tool) open testing

#1 Post by Jesse »

Hi,

For those of you that have been waiting, attached is MUT 0.0.5.rc1
If you are interested in having a go with it, please do.
This version will most likely be in the next Puppy Linux live CD 1.0.4
If there are any significant problems or bugs with it, now would be a nice time to find out, before the cd image is released.

Info about Mut:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/JesseLileyMUT

Ok so the dot-pups are a little beyond me, I got a headache last time I tried.
So to use the attache file, download, untarzip from command line, i.e.

# tar zxf mut-0.0.5.rc1.tar.gz

This will create a folder called mut-0.0.5.rc1 and inside is mut.tcl which you can run, create a sym link, or application shortcut to it if you like.

Jesse
Attachments
mut-0.0.5.rc1.tar.gz
(68.15 KiB) Downloaded 703 times

dvw86

#2 Post by dvw86 »

Great stuff! This is really good and a welcome addition to Puppy. I think that this is so useful that I'm going to have MUT start whenever Puppy boots up. The only issues I had were (I believe) Puppy related and not Mut specific. I need support for more than two USB devices. I have a USB 1.0 128MB pen drive, a USB 2.0 256MB pen drive, and a Sony camera that uses the USB mass storage device standards. If I plug two of the three in, I can not use the third item without first rebooting the computer, even if I unmount the other two devices.

dvw86

#3 Post by dvw86 »

Spoke to soon. Symlinks and pinboard icons will not start MUT. If I figure out why I will let you know.
Edit Never mind, it was a problem with my system, between the chair and keyboard :oops:

Jesse

#4 Post by Jesse »

Hi dvw86,

I'm glad you like it :)

You ought to have no real troubles with your multiple usb disks, I've coded MUT to be able to handle this case specifically, because there is no gaurantee as to the order of usb devices and their device names, I've had a 4port usb disk reader (memory chip reader) have sda,sdc,sde,sdf device names and a seperate device have sdb device name, so note to check visually! This is also why I show device volume name for iso9660,ext2(& ext3), and vfat filesystems.

Also MUT will add device nodes like /dev/sde if they are needed for your hardware configuration, automatically.

MUT has been coded to work with the 2.6 kernel as well as the 2.4.
Puppy 1.0.2 is only puppy that uses 2.6 kernel so far, it has slightly better usb storage support than 2.4 kernel, but like Barry says 2.4 works so much better across all the other aspects.

Some USB devices take ages to initialise, like 25-30 seconds, during this time MUT can look like it has locked up. I get this with my Diva MP3 player (in usb disk mode) and it only works with the 2.6 kernel. My 4port USB disk reader (Transcend 6-in1 reader) works in either 2.4 or 2.6.

Sometimes when you first start MUT, there are no USB devices listed, wait a few seconds and click on the "refresh" icon, they will appear when kernel drivers have finished initializing.

Jesse

dvw86

#5 Post by dvw86 »

Jesse wrote:This is also why I show device volume name for iso9660,ext2(& ext3), and vfat filesystems.

Also MUT will add device nodes like /dev/sde if they are needed for your hardware configuration, automatically.
Well the 128 is called kangaroo, the 256 is called lexar, and the camera is just listed as vfat. The names along with all the other information will appear almost instantly after they are plugged in. Only for the first two items that is. I can unmount and unplug a device. The third one will not be recognized no matter how long I wait. Plug the second one back in and it instantly shows up. This is true for any combination of the three. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Jesse

#6 Post by Jesse »

Its very important to not be too impatient, some USB devices do take a while to start working with the system.

So, when you think its not working, and it hasn't started working as expected after a minute, send me the debug log, to do this, close the mut application, then start it up again with the "mut-debug" script, when the mut window opens and shows all the devices, the log has been generated, close mut, then send me the file "mut-debug-output.txt" and tell me what you're expecting to see.

If its a usb device thats not working, it might only work with 2.6 kernel. Please try with Puppy 1.0.2 and see if it works there.

Jesse

dvw86

#7 Post by dvw86 »

Alright, the log was a little long so I sent it to you in a PM.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

Jesse

#9 Post by Jesse »

Thank you GuestToo :)

btw, I'll be hanging around in the IRC chat room for next few hours for fast response time, for people who want quick answers about mut.

Jesse

Jesse

Yep, first new bug found and confirmed.

#10 Post by Jesse »

Thankyou dvw86, you found a silly bug that is in MUT 0.0.5.rc1, which can prevent new device nodes being created for additional usb devices. I'll post a newer version shortly, with a fix for that problem.

Jesse

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

here's a dotpup maker for a Mut roxapp

basically, install the my Mut roxapp
this will put a rox appdir in my-roxapps
right click the icon to look inside
change whatever you like in the roxapp dir
then click the make-pup script
and it will automatically make a dotpup that will install the Mut roxapp in my-roxapps

(i uploaded a zip file with a tar.gz in it)
Attachments
mut.zip
Mut dotpup maker
(998 Bytes) Downloaded 503 times

Jesse

Jesse learns dotpup (sort of)

#12 Post by Jesse »

Oh well time to learn how to make a dotpup, with my hand held by GuestToo.

I've posted my very first dotpup in the dotpup list, I guess this is the right way around to do it??

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=6067#6067

Have fun, let me know of any show stoppers please :)

Jesse

PeterSieg

MUT Error

#13 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi. In qemu environment with no usb at all, I get error message:

Error: Could not read "/proc/bus/usb/devices": no such file or directory

Thats probably because there is NO usb stuff at all..?
Most real hardware of course have usb since years.
Only some very old laptops (pre P200 range) do not have usb...

Besides that, great tool!

PS
Have fun :)

Jesse

#14 Post by Jesse »

Hi PeterSieg,

Well, what can I say :) thanks

Ok, I've fixed the scanning of /proc/bus/usb/devices bug, so it'll be happy when there is no usb. Also for any other file that does not exist where I'd assumed it'd be there...

:roll: oops, the bugs are sure getting spotted now... mind you I'm fixen em too. 8)

I'm a bit sleepy for now, so I'll only upload the tar.gz

to untarzip:

# tar zxf mut-0.0.5.rc3.tar.gz

have a look in the mut-0.0.5.rc3 directory, click on mut.tcl to run the program.

Jesse
Attachments
mut-0.0.5.rc3.tar.gz
(68.36 KiB) Downloaded 588 times

#15 Post by Guest »

The only issue i see is the turning off the swap partition.....Then turing it back on.....Too lazy at the moment to see if I can crash puppy......Actually if the swap partition is used for the ramdisk for smaller memoried systems it may produce quite undesirable results....

Well done I tip my hat to you

Jesse

#16 Post by Jesse »

bladehunter wrote:The only issue i see is the turning off the swap partition.....Then turing it back on.....Too lazy at the moment to see if I can crash puppy......Actually if the swap partition is used for the ramdisk for smaller memoried systems it may produce quite undesirable results....
shhh! you can hear the old small computers go 'pop' in the night...

Yeah ok, maybe a popup dialouge "Are documents saved?" could fix it?

seriously though, can someone test this? I'm wondering if Linux (Kernel) will allow swapoff if theres too much on disk to put in memory?
bladehunter wrote:Well done I tip my hat to you
Thank you, kind sir.

Jesse

Mathiasdm

Bug in MUT: printer starts up!

#17 Post by Mathiasdm »

When I installed MUT, my printer started printing :?
I'm going to see if I can reproduce this bug.

Mathiasdm

#18 Post by Mathiasdm »

Yep. When I restarted the computer and opened MUT again, the printer started making noise again. It's an HP Deskjet 695C.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#19 Post by Lobster »

My DVD display (which was OK in RC1 and RC2) is now telling me to close a drive that is already closed just as with the OME-W141 drive . . .

. . . so it seems if I open the SR-8585 (manually) then click on close, it reads it . . . (it has a DVD and is displaying the name of the DVD - pretty kewl . . .

What I am being confused by is the word close (which should display "no media" or "no disk" perhaps?

That I can access keydrive, two HD partitions and floppy is a great improvement

The CD probs may be to do with faulty CD set up - so interested how others are getting on
- I found the testlog in root - send that in with screenshots if possible

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Rich

#20 Post by Rich »

Mathiasdm wrote:Yep. When I restarted the computer and opened MUT again, the printer started making noise again. It's an HP Deskjet 695C.
Deskjet 815c does this too.......doesn't print anything, it just initialises, then takes a sheet of paper part way in, then the error light on the printer flashes !
don't know why?
( if it helps with anything, it's a parallel port printer )