Update 5.3.1 Chose ext .3fs on install only finds .2fs

Using applications, configuring, problems
tytower

Update 5.3.1 Chose ext .3fs on install only finds .2fs

#1 Post by tytower »

I did a full install to hard drive from the 5.3.1 iso . I chose the ext .3fs on saving.

When i take the cd out it loads a new ext .2fs and does not find the ext .3fs. Also there seems to be some problem that prevents me shutting down the computer. It keeps rebooting

Whats happening here ? How can I make the full install boot from the hard drive find the ext.3fs file?

rhadon

#2 Post by rhadon »

Hi tytower,

I think there's a misunderstanding about full and frugal install.

With a full install you don't have a save file. Not .2fs and not .3fs.

I allways use .3fs (only sometimes other file systems for testing) and I've never had a problem with it. Also not in 5.3.1.

First I would check the md5sum of the iso, if it's ok, check your hd with fsck (boot from cd with boot option pfix=ram, because hd must not be mounted).

Make a new install, at least copy initrd.gz, puppy_slacko_5.3.1.sfs and vmlinuz.

HTH
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

tytower

#3 Post by tytower »

Yes makes sense so I must have misunderstood at the point it asked me what file to save the file to ?
Ext 2 or 3 This is the first time I have ever chosen 3

But I was doing a full ,new install so how can I have ended up being asked that ? That I do not understand

tytower

#4 Post by tytower »

Hmm had a closer look at this

When I boot from the live disk it searches for savefiles and in my case picks up the slackosave.3fs and loads it at top level ,whatever that means and on closing does not need to save as that file is on my computer harddrive mounted top level.

Now when I boot directly from the harddrive which has no savefile.2fs 's on it only .3fs's it does not find the .3fs and it seems to make a new .2fs which it offers to save on closing

Something is not right there !
I want it to load the .3fs when it boots from the hard drive .
How do I make it do that ?

rhadon

#5 Post by rhadon »

It looks like something is wrong with your boot configuration.
Do you use Grub, Grub4Dos or Syslinux? Another bootloader?

Maybe it's a good idea to post the content of your menu.lst (if Grub or Grub3Dos) or syslinux.cfg if the last one.

Also where are your files (partition, folder)?

btw. this kind of install is called frugal, not full :wink: .

Should be solvable,
Rolf

tytower

#6 Post by tytower »

Well look firstly I disagree
I chose a full install when offered full or frugal

I took the Grub4Dos option and here is list.....Oh I don't see a boot folder on the mounted sda1 under the "File" icon ?

Clicking on the sda1 icon which shows as mounted gives the proper root menu and /boot/grub/ are there but no menu.lst.

Doing it again tells me menu.lst is in /initrd/mnt/dev_save
I don't have windows installed

Here it is
# menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.7.1
color white/blue black/cyan white/black cyan/black
timeout 10
default 0

# Full installed Linux

title Slacko Puppy 5.3.1 (sda1/boot)
uuid 02e37ac5-a5aa-44e3-a6dc-e9a72e629fb4
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro

# Windows
# this entry searches Windows on the HDD and boot it up
title Windows\nBoot up Windows if installed
errorcheck off
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /bootmgr
chainloader /bootmgr
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ntldr
chainloader /ntldr
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /io.sys
chainloader /io.sys
errorcheck on

# Boot from Partition Boot Sector

title Slacko Puppy 5.3.1 (sda1:PBS)
uuid 02e37ac5-a5aa-44e3-a6dc-e9a72e629fb4
chainloader +1

# additionals

title Find Grub2\nBoot up grub2 if installed
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/core.img

title Grub4Dos commandline\n(for experts only)
commandline

title Reboot computer
reboot

title Halt computer

halt

rhadon

#7 Post by rhadon »

I'm not experienced with full installs, so in this part I can only guess.

/boot/grub/ seems to come from an older Grub install.
You have 2 entries for Slacko. Looks like you tried to install Grub/Grub4Dos twice (at least). One time to the MBR (sda) and one time to a Partition Boot Sector. I allways use MBR, since I failed long time ago with trying to install to a partition boot sector. Although I have read that this also works for a lot of people.

I would delete /boot/grub folder and all files I can find with the names grldr, menu.lst and *.3fs, *.2fs.

Run Gparted and make sure that the boot flag is set to sda1.

Then run Grub4Dos bootloader Konfiguration again and use 'install to MBR'.

AFAIK you'll never be asked for a save file with a full install.

HTH
Rolf

James C

#8 Post by James C »

tytower wrote: But I was doing a full ,new install so how can I have ended up being asked that ? That I do not understand
Fairly common mistake.When running the live cd and performing a full install when you reboot into the full install Puppy will ask whether to save or not.(Because you're still actually running the live cd) Answer"no" because the full install doesn't use a save file (2fs or 3fs).If the bootloader is installed correctly it should only be necessary to remove the cd and boot into the full install.

For what it's worth, I generally use the ext3 for my partitions and install legacy Grub to the mbr.
HTH.

tytower

#9 Post by tytower »

Thanks both
It looks like the obvious fix for this is to patch the live disk code to not ask the savefile question on a full install.

So now I have invested a lot of time and effort into getting my full install loaded with everything I need and it is all running , but only with the live CD.

Can you tell me what I might do now to run from the hard drive ?
I don't understand, if all the programs and files I have installed after the first install have been put on the hard drive then I should be able to boot straight in ? ATM without a live CD it boots from the hard drive but loads a .2fs which is virtually empty

tytower

#10 Post by tytower »

OK Finally got back to this to fix this.

Summary
Have to have live CD in drive to be able to boot from Hard drive on a full install with a .3fs save file extension.

So I got a new zip drive and did a normal install on that . When closing I first copied the "pupsave .3fs" file on to the zip drive and then chose the "no save" closedown option.

This has given me a frugal installation on a zip drive with all my installed programs preserved and working .

( Note , I tried the remaster CD a couple of times but it failed miserably )

tytower

#11 Post by tytower »

Just in case anyone finds this useful.

With the frugal install on Zip drive I copied the ".3fs" file to the Zip drive and all works well.

I can continue to use the full install on the hard drive with the CD in and this gives a fast shutdown.

From time to time I can copy the ".3fs" file over the Zip drive one and keep the Zip drive updated but it saves the long wait on shutdown of the Zip drive