Wary Puppy 5.2.2, 18 Nov. 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
scsijon

#301 Post by scsijon »

seaside wrote:I just checked my puppy_wary_5.2.2.sfs file and the /tmp directory's "sticky bit" is off.

Cheers,
s
Yup, that's what I meant, somewhere in the woof builder it's changing things, and that's a "BarryK" fix.

It will effect a number of internal apps and scripts.

regards
scsijon

seaside

X startup

#302 Post by seaside »

Barry, I've run into an unusual intermittent x starting problem (I think) in Wary 5.2.2. Most of the time, it works perfectly, but about 1 in 5 times just as x usually starts, the screen goes blank, a "no signal" message appears briefly; then hangs with no command line, requiring a manual power reboot.

Since no logs are available, I can't even see exactly what failed.

This is a frugal install and boot from a usb thumbdrive.

Below are the specs.

Regards,
s
BIOS
Date 01/29/2010
Vendor American Megatrends Inc. (www.ami.com)
Version 0405
Board
Name P5QPL-AM
Vendor ASUSTeK Computer INC. (SEAGATE, www.seagate.com)
Processor
Name Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
Family, model, stepping 6, 23, 10 (Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron)
Vendor Intel
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.3.0
OpenGL
Vendor Mesa project
Renderer Mesa GLX Indirect
Version 1.4 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.2)
Direct Rendering No

scsijon

binutils or gcc problem?

#303 Post by scsijon »

standard wary522 with dev and a full qt4 4.7.4 added!

trying to build the razorQt desktop and it's now ok through cmake to here:

--------------------------------
# cd work
# make
[ 3%] Built target razormount
[ 13%] Built target qtxdg
[ 14%] Built target razorqxt
[ 27%] Built target razorqt
[ 31%] Built target razor-session
[ 32%] Built target razor-config-session
[ 39%] Built target razor-panel
[ 42%] Built target clock
[ 44%] Built target desktopswitch
[ 48%] Built target quicklaunch
Linking CXX shared library libtray.so
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-t2-linux-gnu/4.3.4/../../../../i486-t2-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [razorqt-panel/plugin-tray/libtray.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [razorqt-panel/plugin-tray/CMakeFiles/tray.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
#
# cd /usr/i486-t2-linux-gnu/bin
# ls -l
total 1112
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 39752 2011-09-08 12:50 ar
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 215924 2011-09-08 12:50 as
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 294976 2011-09-08 12:50 ld
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 27304 2011-09-08 12:50 nm
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 148212 2011-09-08 12:50 objcopy
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 187568 2011-09-08 12:50 objdump
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 39756 2011-09-08 12:50 ranlib
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 148216 2011-09-08 12:50 strip
#
----------------------------------

however with make i'm getting a ld error at this stage, the problem is which group should I ask for help or is it a puppy mix problem?

I do notice that binutils-dev-2.20.51.0.2-w5c is used, but if you look at the bin packages with <rightclick> Packages,they all say:

---------------------------
ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.16, stripped
---------------------------

binutils is now 2.22

Where do I start?

thanks
scsijon

zekebaby

Shutdown hangs (SOLVED)

#304 Post by zekebaby »

In Wary 5.2.2, I noticed a problem with shutdown hanging if I don't manually unmount NFS or SSHFS mounted drives before shutting down. Poking around rc.shutdown, I found that //network drives are unmounted, but the grep does not pick up host:dir mounted drives.

Adding the following 4 lines in rc.shutdown near Line 190 solves the problem:

Code: Select all

for MOUNTPOINT in `mount | grep ':' | cut -d  ' ' -f 3 | tr '\n' ' '`
do
  umount -f $MOUNTPOINT
done 
Edit: made code more generic to detect other types of network drives such as sshfs

nubc

#305 Post by nubc »

Although I primarily see this problem in Wary 5.1.1, I have observed the following behavior in Wary 5.2 when I was testing it for possibly upgrading my version of Wary. I have observed this undesired behavior on 4 different computers. Streaming YouTube videos for a long period eventually ends in the streaming function becoming corrupted. It is difficult to point to a single event that causes the streaming function to become corrupted, as I have experienced the sudden degradation of streaming into a closed loop during the playing of a video. There is a good likelihood that burdening a uniprocessor system with multiple streaming threads accelerates the corruption. To reproduce this behavior, the user has to be constantly connected to YouTube with multiple streams and multiple instances of SM. The video(s) can already have played through. It helps to let the computer fall into rest mode and be revived. After 5 or 6 hours, all streaming becomes corrupted, and the only solution is to reboot the computer, which cures the problem. It all may be a Flash issue. Although this is something I can live with, I expect better of Puppy. The loss of streaming can be very inconvenient, and rebooting risks loss of data unless one is prepared and accustomed to it.

linuxcbon

#306 Post by linuxcbon »

Wary 5.2.2
- Seamonkey 2.3.1 crashes when I type a comment and change spell language to french. Sadly I didnt find the exact steps to reproduce the bug.

linuxcbon

#307 Post by linuxcbon »

- dailymotion videos can't play in seamonkey
- scannerwizard.sh, script not finished , doesnt actually do anything

shadower_sc

Error in Re-Master - Won't run Urxvt Terminal Emulator

#308 Post by shadower_sc »

Fix for Urxvt Terminal Emulator menu entry not working on Remaster:
I edited the "Urxvt Terminal Emulator" menu entry and changed the command "rxvt" to "urxvt" and it works.

When I tried to run rxvt in the urxvt terminal it gave the following error: "rxvt: unable to load the base fontset, please specify a valid one using -fn, aborting."

gerry

#309 Post by gerry »

Can't change resolution. Thinkpad T60p, ATI Mobility FireGL V5250 video (is that the chip or the f/w?).

Boots up with 1680x1050 resolution.
Use Xorgwizard to set resolution to 1280x800.
Xorg restarts- still 1680x1050.
Use Menu>shutdown>restart X
Still 1680x1050
BUT XORG.CONF SAYS 1280x800
Reboot, still 1680x1280, but xorg.conf has gone back to 1680x1280.

Xorg is using the radeon driver.
EDIT: Live cd with savefile.
Last edited by gerry on Sat 04 Feb 2012, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

christhi

#310 Post by christhi »

Did a frugal install on my Acer Aspire One netbook

Everything works lean and clean, except these issues:

- Encountered problems loading Glx with a Quake engine (Nexuiz), after installing the sdl librairies (official pet packages). I don't know why it needs OpenGL when it's loading with the SDL librairies. Perhaps that's because the libSDL wasn't enough up-to-date?

Anyways that'd be a good idea to include SDL, if it doesn't take too much space.

- User session works great! Actually it's awesome to see that working on an official Puppy.

Main issue with it:

"Ok" button on the root authorization window (that appears when trying to do something that needs root access) doesn't work with the keyboard. Have to click with the mouse everytime, which is a bit of a pain. No big deal.

- Latest versions of Firefox can't run. The official Firefox 4 packages (from PPM) kinda works. But after uninstalling and reinstalling it, I got a "couldn't load XRE" error.

- RAM-related freezing in Seamonkey, when working on a few RAM-hungry websites. Seems to be Javascript-related, but not sure...

Other than that, great work! Nice look as well.

If you get to make it as all-around stable as Lupu 525, that'll be one hell of an official Pup!

Keep it small, keep it simple, keep it cool!

gerry

#311 Post by gerry »

Further to my post above, about Wary 522 on my Thinkpad:

Booting pfix=ram, there are the following xorg files in etc/X11/

xorg.conf this file shows the default 1680x1050 resolution

xorg.conf. ( < observe second dot) this is a sample file, unchanged

xorg.conf.ATI_ATOMBIOSLP154W02_TL0 shows the default 1680x1050 resolution.

If I run xorgwizard and select 1280x800, then xorg restarts with the default 1680x1050.

If I then do Menu > Shutdown > Restart Xserver, it does not restart, and goes to the terminal.

It is using Radeon driver, and the video hardware (firmware? I dunno) is
ATI Mobility FireGL V5250.

linuxcbon

#312 Post by linuxcbon »

- why is there an empty /opt/ folder ?
- /etc/.prerecord needed ?

feature request :
- can you add streamripper by default ? (60kb) It is needed for radio stations in pmusic.

Monsie

Wary Puppy 5.2.2, 18 Nov. 2011

#313 Post by Monsie »

@linuxcbon:

The empty opt directory is not an artifact or a bug. Some third party applications choose to install to this directory rather than /local and in my case I see that qt4 is installed in the opt directory.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Argolance

JWM multiple root MENUS problem with Wary/Racy 5.2

#314 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Root Menu
The root menu in JWM is the primary way of starting programs. It also provides a way to restart or exit the window manager. Note that multiple root menus are possible. See the onroot attribute for more information. The outer-most tag is RootMenu. This tag supports the following attributes:

onroot
Determine which buttons on the root window activate the menu. This is a list of integers specifying buttons. The default is 123. Multiple root menus may be used by specifying different buttons to activate them. Valid values in this list are 0 to 9. The usual mouse buttons are 1 for the left button, 2 for the middle button, 3 for the right button, and 4 and 5 for the scroll wheel. Therefore, accessing root menus that are assigned to buttons 0, 6, 7, 8, or 9 will typically require the use of a tray button or key binding.

=> JWM Configuration.
This works fine running Puppy 4.x, Lucid 5.x, Quirky 1.4.2 but does not with Wary/Racy 5.x, something is going wrong:
  • :arrow: Buttons (3) inside the task bar... This is OK!
    :arrow: Clicks on desktop display MENUS 1, 2, 3... This is OK! But...
    As soon as clicked on desktop ('root window') to display MENUS, Pinboard doesn't work properly anymore: desktop shortcuts, drives icons, files/directories listed inside Rox windows don't react to mouse events. This error message is found in /tmp/xerrs.log:
** (ROX-Filer:5535): CRITICAL **: pinboard_pin_with_args: assertion `current_pinboard != NULL' failed
This occurs whatever the versions of JWM or ROX-Filer are (I tested with 2.9, 2.10, and fresh self compiled 2.11 releases). Neither the filer nor window manager seem to be the reason of the problem!
If running

rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
or getting back to the classical single Puppy MENU, all works well again!

Note: I noticed this issue on several PCs.
Very very annoying indeed, cause this bug disables part of an important script of the next French Toutou LINUX (based on Wary 5.x) .

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 697#601697

Regards

npierce

JWM multiple root MENUS problem with Wary/Racy 5.2

#315 Post by npierce »

Argolance wrote:As soon as clicked on desktop ('root window') to display MENUS, Pinboard doesn't work properly anymore: desktop shortcuts, drives icons, files/directories listed inside Rox windows don't react to mouse events.
Argolance,

I have attached a modified version of /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun which may get you going.

Back-up your original, then gunzip and copy this one to /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun, and restart the X server.

Please note that this has been briefly tested OK in Racy-5.2.2, so it is likely to work in Wary-5.2.2, but I can make no guarantees.

This may be more of a work-around than a true fix. Or it may be all that is needed. Either way, it should point you in the right direction.

The problem results from a change to GDK. Until sometime around 2009, GDK made an X11 window for each GDK window. That is not necessarily the case anymore. Now GDK makes what it calls "client-side windows". So now, an application that was designed to interact with an X11 window corresponding to one of its GDK windows may be disappointed to find that no such X11 window exists.

I think something like that is happening with ROX-Filer.

One way around that problem is to set an environmental variable, GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS, true. Then GDK will create a native X11 window for each GDK window, making the application happy again.

This is all that my modified /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun does.

There is a potential downside to this: An application that uses "client-side windows" may have a speed advantage, and create windows slower if GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS is set true for it.

I have not yet determined if setting GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true will affect only ROX-Filer, or will affect every GTK/GDK application it opens.

The reason that I set it in /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun instead of /root/.xinitrc or earlier, is to, hopefully, limit its effect to ROX-Filer. But it is certainly possible that, once set, all GTK/GDK applications will be affected. I have noticed that when I use ROX-Filer to run urxvt, GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS does not appear in the environment. So maybe I got lucky.

Admittedly, I have more success predicting the weather than the mysteries of GDK and GTK behavior. :)

I need to test some with GTK/GDK apps, but I thought that I would send this off to you so that you can try it out, rather than waiting for me to get around to doing more tests.

Let me know if this seems to slow anything down. Of course, unless an application has been optimized for "client-side windows", it should not run any slower than it did in early 2009.
Attachments
AppRun.gz
Modified version of /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun
(799 Bytes) Downloaded 516 times

Argolance

#316 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
@npierce,
Thank you a lot for replying.
I have attached a modified version of /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun which may get you going.
This works great :D and doesn't seem to slow anything down (let me further watch!)
The problem results from a change to GDK. Until sometime around 2009, GDK made an X11 window for each GDK window. That is not necessarily the case anymore. Now GDK makes what it calls "client-side windows". So now, an application that was designed to interact with an X11 window corresponding to one of its GDK windows may be disappointed to find that no such X11 window exists.
Is it to say that Lucid and Quirky have got GDK version older than Wary and Racy?
Very strange indeed!

Regards

npierce

#317 Post by npierce »

Argolance,

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that (so far) it is working for you.
Argolance wrote:Is it to say that Lucid and Quirky have got GDK version older than Wary and Racy?
Probably. I'm not sure what versions they have, but they were based upon an older version of Woof.

You can find out what you have:

ls /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.*
Racy 5.2.2 reports:

/usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.8
which is commonly known as 2.24.8, and was released last November.

goeran

#318 Post by goeran »

Hello
by updating from 5.1.4.1 to 5.2.2, the seamonkey emails, profile and adressbooks got "lost" . Is there an easy way to restore them ?
goeran

linuxcbon

#319 Post by linuxcbon »

There is a problem with ffmpeg :
ffmpeg -i 'http://api.jamendo.com/get2/stream/trac ... &id=859750'
gives : No such file or directory
Is it because http protocol is not included in compilation ( --disable-network) ?

goeran

#320 Post by goeran »

http://api.jamendo.com/get2/stream/trac ... &id=859750'
gives : Hoovers ride with me.mp3
....???