roar-ng and Subito GNU/Linux 0.9.5 Beta

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Iguleder

roar-ng and Subito GNU/Linux 0.9.5 Beta

#1 Post by Iguleder »

Introduction

roar-ng is a generic distribution building system originally forked from Woof, the Puppy Linux build system.

You can follow its development in GitHub, where I host its code now. If you want to use it, check out its code using Git.

It provides an architecture-independent, flexible and portable infrastructure for the creation of fast, "live" GNU/Linux distributions with support for persistency and dynamic loading of modules. It provides support for the binary package format and repositories of various GNU/Linux distributions.

The development of roar-ng started as a collection of source hacks of Woof and evolved into a complete, independent re-implementation. It provides advanced features not found in Woof, such as parallel downloads, automatic package splitting, simple branding and easy porting to different processor architectures.

Overview

roar-ng, as mentioned earlier, is a build system: it's a tool which receives a list of binary packages, appropriate download locations and the result distribution's details as its input and outputs a ready, bootable image of the distribution.

It consists of 5 main scripts; their names and roles are inherited from Woof:
- 0setup - a script which downloads the package repositories information and converts it into a common format used by roar-ng in order to provide the support for multiple distributions.
- 1download - a script used to download all binary packages specified in the package list.
- 2createpackages - a package processing script used to extract, customize, optimize and split the downloaded binary packages.
- 3builddistro - a script which builds a bootable image of tDistribution Features
---------------------

The distributions built using roar-ng are unique and can compete directly with any popular "live" distribution easily. Their main features are:
- Easy maintenance - low cost, easy development which makes the product live longer and makes it more resilient to the biggest enemies of distributions - loss of developers or community support.
- Portability - the ability to run from any media supported by the kernel.
- Modularity - the ability to load extensions dynamically.
- Persistence - persistent sessions through automatically created save files.
- Extensibility - good quality, generic and well-documented code.
- Simplicity - simple configuration, package management and usage.
- "Native" feel - although the distribution is "live", it does not feel that way; it provides full access to the file system.
he distribution from the processed packages and an operating system skeleton shared by all the distributions built using the build system.
- 4buildpackage - a script which builds binary package within the distribution built using the former script, using build scripts.

With proper input, roar-ng should successfuly output a solid distribution.

History

The development of roar-ng was triggered by personal frustration with Woof's 3builddistro script, which wasn't flexible enough for a Puppy Linux derivative called "Next Puppy" and its successor, "Guy Dog". It started during the development of a Puppy Linux derivative codenamed "Humble Puppy", which was based on the Slackware-based Puppy Linux 5.3.1.

At first, roar-ng consisted of a modified 3builddistro script, which was much simpler and faster than the original, but produced a very similar result and provided minimal benefit. This modified script was soon replaced by a clean re-implementation, which provided much smaller output. In addition, several modifications were made to the Puppy Linux skeleton, which removed many legacy or rarely used components, while extras (such as a new package manager) were provided as packages.

Then, 1download was the second script modified; the most notable addition was parallel download of binary packages, which made it considerably faster. This addition made Woof faster.

Finally, 2createpackages, the most complex script of Woof, had very little room for improvement because of its poor quality, complexity and inefficience. This is the point where roar-ng's development as an independent projected started.

Finally, Builder, an automated package building framework, was merged into roar-ng during a big cycle major changes, which cut the final ties to Woof and Puppy Linux.

It is worth mentioning the roar-ng inherits much from Calf GNU/Linux, a concept distribution developed between 2010 and 2011. It served as a proof-of-concept for the developer's view of what Puppy Linux 6.0 should be.

Usage

roar-ng's configuration consists of 3 files:
- bootrc - boot settings; this file is read by the initial init script.
- distrorc - basic distribution details, such as its name, version, etc'.
- package_list - the list of packages included in the distribution; each package has its own source distribution (e.g the distribution it was taken from).

The configuration files should be prepared before roar-ng's scripts are executed. However, modification of the package list is possible after their execution.

Once the configuration is ready, the scripts should be executed in the following order:
- 0setup
- 1download
- 2createpackages
- 3builddistro

roar-ng's execution does not take a long time, when provided with a fast network connection and fast mirrors, since 1download is the slowest script to execute. 4buildpackage is an optional script useful only in cases where automatic package building is needed.

Distribution Features

The distributions built using roar-ng are unique and can compete directly with any popular "live" distribution easily. Their main features are:
- Easy maintenance - low cost, easy development which makes the product live longer and makes it more resilient to the biggest enemies of distributions - loss of developers or community support.
- Portability - the ability to run from any media supported by the kernel.
- Modularity - the ability to load extensions dynamically.
- Persistence - persistent sessions through automatically created save files.
- Extensibility - good quality, generic and well-documented code.
- Simplicity - simple configuration, package management and usage.
- "Native" feel - although the distribution is "live", it does not feel that way; it provides full access to the file system.

Dependencies

It is worth mentioning that roar-ng has several requirements; some packages must be included in the result distribution in order to make roar-ng's distribution skeleton function.
This is the full list of must-have dependencies of roar-ng and the
distributions built by it. Also, it specifies all special, "system" files
created by the init scripts and the distribution skeleton.

roar-ng Itself
- A POSIX-compliant shell (either Bash or DASH)
- Python (for package list conversion scripts called by 0setup)
- Squashfs tools
- cdrkit or cdrtools (for either mkisofs or genisoimage, respectively)
- GNU Binutils (for "strip")
- cpio
- gzip
- Squashfs tools
- For 4buildpackage: Aufs, in the host's kernel
- Recommended: aria2, for parallel downloads - makes 1download much faster.
- Recommended: AdvanceCOMP, OptiPNG and a recent version of file (for package optimization)

Distribution Kernel
- Squashfs (in mainline, built into kernel)
- Aufs (built into kernel)
- Drivers for all devices the distribution can boot from, built into the kernel
- File system drivers for file systems the distribution can load save files from, built into the kernel

Distribution Packages
- DASH (for many scripts)
- Busybox (with mdev)
- dialog (used for some wizards)
- udev
- dialog (used by many wizards)
- iptables (used by /etc/init.d/firewall)
- hsetroot (used by xinitrc), which pulls in imlib2
- gtkdialog (used by some wizards)
- cwm (the default window manager), which pulls in libbsd
- syslinux (to make the result ISO image bootable)
- librsvg (to generate PNG logo images from the default, SVG one)

Subito GNU/Linux Alpha 1

As mentioned earlier, Subito GNU/Linux is the flagship distribution built by roar-ng and its main use. Here's the beta release, in all its glory.

In its current form, Subito GNU/Linux has only a x86_64 port, so you'll need compatible hardware to use it.

ISO: subito-0.9.5.iso
devx: devx_subito-0.9.0.sfs
MD5: md5sums.txt

This ISO is hybrid, which means you can make a live USB easily, just dd it to the device. :wink:

Have fun!
Attachments
screeny.png
Screeny of Subito GNU/Linux
(180.3 KiB) Downloaded 2106 times
Last edited by Iguleder on Sat 03 Mar 2012, 16:52, edited 10 times in total.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

laurentius77

#2 Post by laurentius77 »

I used your tutorials in the past for a no sata/ide modules kernel compiling. In fact they were only tutorials that I could understand and follow and I got a great kernel. I read your posts about Puppy 6 and woof competition. This is the way we should follow, we need revolution not just evolution. Life is almost evolution but sometimes we need something else. I hope your roar-ng solution will succed and maybe we can see our puppy ported on smartphones/tables sometime. Keep going, you are doing a great job.
Now i should test your roar-ng, I know it is great...

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

iguleder, I am a total noob so I don't get much
but admire what you do.

Hope it is okay if I ask a very naive question.
What your roar-ng allow to build a multi user
Subito then or can it only build single user OS?

No I don't want Puppy to change to be multi user
but it would be cool to have an OS that is 100%
compatible with Puppy repo and that can chose
to be multi user if one wants to but have single
user as the primary set up. The multi can be used
when one get visits from people that only feel
at home with being multi user.

I don't mind if you want Subito to be single user.

I only ask if roar-ng can make a multi user if one tell
it too? Not that you should do it. And if it is not possible
what is lacking for that to get accomplished?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#4 Post by pemasu »

Posting this from subito. Build by your building system. I just executed the scripts one after another...starting from 0setup.
1download stopped about 10 times...probably the connection timeout exceeded. And the script stopped. I had to launch it again and then it continued. There is vmlinuz and about 150 Mb initrd.gz. Is that intentional. It build devx.sfs though. But the main sfs is inside initrd.gz.

Okay...it booted my laptop. I quickly noticed that the eth0 module for me is atl1c. Then I struggled to manually in console to setup my internet connection. I succeeded as you can see.
It took about 2 hours....to download packages...process them and build this. Getting internet connection took 30 mins...because I didnt remember my numerical addresses and the right syntax.

So....using your semiautomatic build system was success without reading anything than quickly your introduction.
Package processing is fast as is the build process. That big initrd.gz just made me hesitate first.

Err....a little better browser would be good. The netsurf hanged all the time and several times went so long unresponsive that I just had to kill it. I didnt know what browser I would have been able to install.

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

Now THIS is very interesting... Igu, do you think you could make this as easy-to-use as sc0ttman's Woofy tool? I know it's a highly technical and delicate procedure to build a Puppy (or anything really) in this manner, but if it could be streamlined to that level...

...well, then again, we'd probably have a whole lot more issues to support :lol:

Still, that would be nice.

`f00

#6 Post by `f00 »

Happy Birthday :D to roar-ng and Subito

Cigar/ to the gentleman at the top

Iguleder

#7 Post by Iguleder »

Thanks for the comments, guys!

nooby - yes, it can be made multi-user very easily. I'm currently working on create_user or whatever it was, it's under /opt/sbin. It creates a new user and does all the setup automatically. And yes, Subito is 100% binary-compatible with Slacko, except the fact it's x86_64. I worked on an i486 flavor before I built the x86_64 port (which became my main focus, since it's more challenging due to the bigger size and requirements) - I might restore this effort once I get the x86_64 flavor stable and usable.

starhawk - I might build some GUI maybe, to make it easier to use. Yad and gtkdialog are included in the distro, of course :wink:

pemasu - yes, it is intentional. When the SFS is on a partition -
- You can't boot the distro unless you can mount the partition - which means the distro isn't truly portable.
- You have to locate the SFS, which takes a considerable amount of time.
- The benefit from using a compressed file system is minimal, if any.

When the main SFS is in the initramfs, you read a compressed file system from the system RAM, which means it consumes the compressed size, but it's faster to decompress something you read from RAM than decompress and read (which is the big overhead here) it from a hard drive, flash drive or some optical media.

EDIT: pemasu, try /opt/sbin/load_sfs on the devx :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

Pretty minimal fuss really :)

For those needing a tool to connect, very light but easy to use commandline tool you can use pns_tool.

BTW, I had to enable nouveau in the specs :). Kernel module nouveau was loading but no xorg driver! Wasted a CD :roll:

I see you have not much hard coded to /root... a very good thing.. what's there now could easy be moved to /etc or wherever appropriate.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

tronkel

#9 Post by tronkel »

Got the ISO built OK - nice fast build.

No desktop however because of the ATI HD6450 video card.
Tried nomodeset but that made no difference. This video card requires a linux non-free firmware blob as found in Debian distros

Tried to build with the ISO with the VESA driver but this isn't included in the package set - hence an error message.
Does a VESA driver package exist somewhere that I could use?
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

pemasu

#10 Post by pemasu »

01micko. Thanks. pns-tool worked like charm. Now I have wlan connection.

Iguleder. I did use sfs_load and first I did load opera.sfs. Now I have usable browser. Netsurf really sucks for me. About useless. Then I did load devx.sfs and downloaded mc source. I compiled it and installed it succesfully. Now I have file browser also. The create_save_file errors. Of course I dont know the syntac to use it but that does not inhibit me to try.
create_save_file /mnt/sda6/slacko/savefile.sfs anyway errors with...

cp: cannot create directory `/mnt/tmp.XXXX1nJCLN/usr': No space left on device
cp: cannot create directory `/mnt/tmp.XXXX1nJCLN/var': No space left on device

I get many console pages of those kind. This is fun anyway....

Vifm does not do anything for me...well...trying to kill it takes some time...

But mc from source works ok. At least older 4.6.1, new one cries after some newer dependency which I didnt bother to find out.

pemasu

#11 Post by pemasu »

I will stop now this test period. I got pets to install with hpm-install...like hpm-install xchat-2.8.8-x86_64.pet

And I used fatdog64 repo:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... /pets/500/

I changed to finnish keyboard with setxkbmap fi

Okay...now I will change back to ordinary Puppy. How to create save file would be nice to know.

Where is the configure file for wbar, I tried to edit /etc/opt/default/wbar/wbar.cfg but I couldnt get it to work.

8-bit

#12 Post by 8-bit »

I also just ran your scripts to try the build. I had step2 in the 0-3 steps stop dead on me trying to get past python. I then ran step 2 again and it continued on through. I ran step 3 and found the iso file in the distro directory.
But did I do something wrong? It is only 8 megs in size.
I went ahead and burnt a cd and tried to boot from it.
I got a kernel panic.
But that, I kind of expected as I was booting it on a dual-core amd processor PC. But.... That PC will NOT run 64bit applications as it was built with a 32bit buss.
Yeah, I know. An almost 64bit PC.
I have as of yet to try it on my laptop that runs Windows 7 64 bit.
But the size of the ISO has me concerned as to if everything got included.

I mean 8 megs is really small for an ISO!

I assume I could build a devx file with dir2sfs using the devx directory that was created.

pemasu

#13 Post by pemasu »

I suppose you had devx sfs of your used Puppy loaded. It has python included...at least it should, if the used Puppy has been created by Barrys woof and 3builddistro which moves python to devx sfs and the distro specs has python included.

Or just install python to your build, but devx sfs is usually good to be loaded when you build a distro. Strip binary is always needed.

Then you wont get python errors. Iso size was about 156 Mb +/- couple of megs.

With other words. Your build was failure.

8-bit

#14 Post by 8-bit »

I compiled it in Lupu 520. I had its devx and kernel source loaded when I ran the scripts.
If it used that kernel source SFS that is for lupu, that could have been part of the problem.
I just have never built a SIO before.

The right way to do so, I do not know yet.
I will have to do some more investigation and try it again.
But by never having done such, I have a lot to learn.
Thank you for telling me the size of ISO I should end up with.
Also, it looks like if I had installed the download accelerator it would have helped the download of the files as to speed.
I think the stopping of step 3 messed things up also as in restarting that step, I missed a bunch of files getting made.

01micko

#15 Post by 01micko »

8-bit

Lupu doesn't support xz compression so you have to comment the options to mksquashfs in 3builddistro. I forget the exact line but you'll see a variable set for the options, commenting that will be enough. Be aware that your iso will be bigger.. ~200MB maybe, but it should work ok..
hth
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pemasu

#16 Post by pemasu »

Ahh. I have been so accustomed to .xz compression support...long time now...that I had forgot that not all Puppies have it. Good to know. Thanks 01micko.

nooby

#17 Post by nooby »

At the moment it's able to produce a concept distro called "Subito", for the x86_64 processor architecture, which consists of Slackware 13.37 and Puppy packages, just like Slacko
Does that mean that wen 8-bit use lucid puppy to bild then it fails but if
one use slacko then it would work?

This is 64 bit is it backward compatible with 32 bit computers?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

8-bit

#18 Post by 8-bit »

pemasu wrote:Ahh. I have been so accustomed to .xz compression support...long time now...that I had forgot that not all Puppies have it. Good to know. Thanks 01micko.
So how do I add, say .xz compression support to a puppy version?
And with the init scripts for some of the packages, it appears it is needed.

01micko,
I just as soon would not want to edit the 3builddistro script to add options to mksquashfs. It seems like the making of SFS files should be a visible option in the first 0setup script.
Or can one use the "bones_GUI" to set all the options one wants?

I really would like to see roar-ing have a setup GUI to do the modifications needed depending on the options one would want.
I am thinking that would keep manual editing and creation of files like "DISTRO_SPECS" from having to be done. A GUI would take care of all the setup and optionally run all the scripts 0-3 to build the ISO.

In other words, it would be a GUI of "Building Puppy for the Complete IDIOT".
You can include me in that category.
Also, one time previously when I tried to build an ISO, I did not know about selecting the packages I wanted included and ended downloading all the files for all the versions of puppy.

If this Idiot is not making himself clear, you know the reason.

MinHundHettePerro

#19 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hiya :)!

Trying to build a slacko-5.3.1 (yes, 32-bit - haven't got a 64-machine, so there wouldn't be any use in going 64-bit here) clone to evaluate this builder.

Basically, I'm (re-)using a modified DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-slackware-13.37 from slacko-5.3.1, which seem to have a few legacy "exe>dev"s, resulting in 1download not downloading these packages.

Are these (legacy of woof) redirects like "exe>dev" to be avoided in roar-ng - and, perhaps, replaced by "exe,dev".

Sorry, if this was mentioned somewhere and I missed it .......

Cheers :)/ MHHP

EDIT:
2createpackages still hangs at python, whether first or second entry of

Code: Select all

#yes|python|python|exe>dev,dev,doc,nls
yes|python|python|exe,dev,doc,nls
is used. htop says something like

file -bi -
Continues (at next package after python), though, if 2createpackages is CTRL-C:d and restarted again ...

python-2.6.6|python|2.6.6|1|BuildingBlock|71410K|slackware/d|python-2.6.6-i486-1.txz||object-oriented interpreted programming language|slackware|13.37|official
EDIT2:
And it stops at dietlibc

yes|dietlibc||exe,dev,doc,nls
, since processed-packages/dietlibc/ ends up empty - there're only the _DEV and _DOC dirs.

Continues after making a symlink processed-packages/dietlibc/ to processed-packages/dietlibc_DEV.........

EDIT 3:
Sub-packages that are redirected in PKGS_SPECS_TABLE do net get downloaded.
One possible fix for this is:

# diff support/functions ../roar-ng-001_org/support/functions 
117c117
< 					enabled_sub_packages="$enabled_sub_packages ${sub_package%>*}"
---
> 					enabled_sub_packages="$enabled_sub_packages $sub_package"
124c124
< 		for sub_package in $enabled_sub_packages
---
> 		for sub_package in $sub_packages
# 
There are, apparently, puppy-built packages that dir2pet has split up in PKG, PKG_DEV and PKG_DOC such that e.g. the exe PKG could be empty, save for the pet.specs. This leads to 2createpackages building a package, which is just an empty directory -> 3builddistro stops.
A possible workaround is to make the following changes in 3builddistro, i.e. making sure that the directory is not empty
# diff 3builddistro ../roar-ng-001_org/3builddistro
19,20c19
< # MKSQUASHFS_OPTIONS="-comp xz -Xbcj x86" #MHHP
< MKSQUASHFS_OPTIONS="" <<< yeah, I know ..............
---
> MKSQUASHFS_OPTIONS="-comp xz -Xbcj x86"
61,62c60
< # if [ -d processed-packages/$package ] # MHHP
< if [ -d processed-packages/$package ] && [[ -n `ls -A processed-packages/$package` ]]
---
> if [ -d processed-packages/$package ]
69,70c67
< # if [ -d processed-packages/${package}_DEV ] # MHHP
< if [ -d processed-packages/${package}_DEV ] && [[ -n `ls -A processed-packages/${package}_DEV` ]]
---
> if [ -d processed-packages/${package}_DEV ]
79,80c76
< # if [ -d processed-packages/${package}$suffix ] # MHHP
< if [ -d processed-packages/${package}$suffix ] && [[ -n `ls -A processed-packages/${package}$suffix` ]]
---
> if [ -d processed-packages/${package}$suffix ]
#
And strippkg thinks file-names like e.g. these in slackware-13.37(32-bit) python-2.6.6-i486-1.txz are abominable -> it hangs, with no return

./usr/doc/python-2.6.6/Misc/TextMate/Python-Dev.tmbundle/Snippets/2 to 3 - Module Deletion (docs).tmSnippet
./usr/doc/python-2.6.6/Misc/TextMate/Python-Dev.tmbundle/info.plist
./usr/doc/python-2.6.6/Misc/TextMate/Python-Dev.tmbundle/Commands/Go to Issue.tmCommand
./usr/doc/python-2.6.6/Misc/TextMate/Python-Dev.tmbundle/Commands/2 to 3 - Module Deletion.tmCommand
I did try to get strippkg to accept these file-names (not sure if it's completely right, and it should probably be worked on by someone knowledgable - that's not merely a happy tinkerer, like myself).
Anyway, I got it going by double-quoting a little in strippkg

# diff support/strippkg ../roar-ng-001_org/support/strippkg 
51c51
< for file in "$(find "$1" -type f)"
---
> for file in $(find "$1" -type f)
76c76
< 	case "$(file -bi "$file")" in
---
> 	case "$(file -bi $file)" in
# 
Surely could be done better than by my home-brew tinkering, but at least it builds now ... :)

And I really like how you've simplified the building / MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

MinHundHettePerro

#20 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Rats, it booted, but couldn't log in!!!!!

# cat skeleton/distro_skeleton/etc/passwd 
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh
messagebus:x:503:503:D-Bus User,,,:/tmp:/bin/sh
# 
# cat skeleton/distro_skeleton/etc/shadow 
root::10933:0:99999:7:::
messagebus:!:0:99999:7:::
# 
# cat sandbox3/rootfs-complete/etc/passwd 
sshd:x:33:33:sshd:/:
# 
# cat sandbox3/rootfs-complete/etc/shadow 
sshd:*:9797:0:::::
# 
Excerpt from doinst.sh of slackware-13.37's openssh-5.8p1-i486-1.txz

# If the sshd user/group/shadow don't exist, add them:

if ! grep -q "^sshd:" etc/passwd ; then
  echo "sshd:x:33:33:sshd:/:" >> etc/passwd
fi

if ! grep -q "^sshd:" etc/group ; then
  echo "sshd::33:sshd" >> etc/group
fi

if ! grep -q "^sshd:" etc/shadow ; then
  echo "sshd:*:9797:0:::::" >> etc/shadow
fi

Well, doinst.sh seems to not have worked against an existing skeleton/distro_skeleton/etc/passwd|shadow ......

Don't know how to fix, will try to rebuild without the disrupting openssh-5.8p1-i486-1.txz.

Would be grateful for input on this ... :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]