Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#921 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:
BTW as cairo has only one dependency why not bundle it with cairo. This would stop a lot of nagging from noobs and probably a few others. :wink:
There are other programs that depend on gtkglext so if I bundle it, things get confusing, or you might end up installing it multiple times or removing it when you actually needed it.

If you install cairo-dock from the ppm it automatically installs gtkglext right?

I could make it so the PPM doesn't ask you so many questions and just downloads the dependencies without making you read anything. Is that where the confusion is? Or is it something else?

jemimah

#922 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
On a fresh frugal without adrv and before a first save. (eg now :D )

Installed from PPM in order and opened each one from terminal before the next pet installation :
midori: error while loading shared libraries: libgstpbutils-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
streamtuner: /root/.streamtuner/config:150: live365: no such handler
Sreamtuner(trying to play a stream): Failed to execute child process "slimp" (no such file or directory)
Firefox OK
Geany OK
xarchiver OK
ristretto OK
gnumeric OK
abiword OK
pidgin: error while loading shared libraries: libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (PPM also lists libstnetbuffer-.0.10.so missing but does not attempt to download after "more info")
gFtp OK
ogle OK (though:ogle_vout: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by ogle_vout) )
mtPaint OK
In all cases when "examine dependencies" was suggested all the dependencies where downloaded successfully.

HTH for dep checking (or/and base).
Ok, I will fix these shortly.

jemimah

#923 Post by jemimah »

cthisbear wrote:
Any chance of contacting playdayz for fixes.
You guys gotta help me out and suggest relevant fixes. I don't have enough room in my head to follow all the various development threads and go full steam on saluki.

Hopefully the good fixes filter up into woof and then back down into saluki at some point. At least that's what is supposed to happen.

Sage

#924 Post by Sage »

Not quite sure why fotoxx is crashing
I think this version of fottoxx is not so great. It can get screwed up if you try to cancel the little sync process it does at the first run. Perhaps we need to use an older version instead.
I like Fotoxx - small and fast - but have had a lot of grief with it in Mint. As usual, Jemimah is right on the button. Got an rsync fault message recently and, in clearing it, it deleted my Claws In&Sent-boxes, which seemed somewhat irrelevant in the circumstances. On balance, this might have to be a utility to avoid?
You guys gotta help me out and suggest relevant fixes.
Working on 10 today, but have problems every time I look at Wiki
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Saluki. May be old&grey but still get a shiver when a picture of such a stunningly good looking lady appears on the screen! Must be driving the Floridian guys crazy.
Full installs are hopefully fixed.
Amazingly fantastical - bingo: it works. Thanks a bunch. If you haven't tried the FULL yet, this worth a punt - fast and beautiful.

Still battling with matching/installing a FlashPlayer with Midori for BBC iPlayer operation. Obviously, we have an infantile joker on the thread who knows how to do it, but he isn't going to share the answers with non-SW folks like YT. All very schoolboyish - grow up!

ggg

#925 Post by ggg »

@ Sage

Re the final paragraph from your most helpful post immediately above:

I didn't just tell you how to do it (on page 60) I posted a picture for you.

Who needs to grow up. "Hire a six-year-old." was a quote from you, Sage.

Just answer the questions:

(1) has Opera failed you for the first time in a decade,

(2) is the lack of BBC iplayer your only problem with Midori. and

(3) can you back your assertion that SeaMonkey has serious problems?
Last edited by ggg on Sat 04 Feb 2012, 10:07, edited 2 times in total.

8-bit

#926 Post by 8-bit »

When I went to set up my Kodak printer, I installed the driver for it first.
I then did a search for new printers and it was found in both the USB connection and the wireless connection.
After that, it installed fine with the provided driver.

But....
When I went to print a test page I got an error window in Cups that said that postscript was not supported!

Since most printers use postscript, that is a major flaw and so Cups needs some work.
I do not know if Glutenprint is installed as part of cups or not and also the Printer driver list is very sparce unless I am missing something.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#927 Post by Lobster »

in 010

Tried the new SFS in PPM
picassa . . . which seems to run using wine :?
The ability to output as a movie was not available in the Windows version
I thought there was a Linux version
other picassa alternatives
http://alternativeto.net/software/picas ... form=linux
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jemimah

#928 Post by jemimah »

8-bit wrote: I do not know if Glutenprint is installed as part of cups or not and also the Printer driver list is very sparce unless I am missing something.
Yes, there is a printer-scanner driver sfs in the ppm.

jemimah

#929 Post by jemimah »

Lobster wrote:in 010

Tried the new SFS in PPM
picassa . . . which seems to run using wine :?
The ability to output as a movie was not available in the Windows version
I thought there was a Linux version
other picassa alternatives
http://alternativeto.net/software/picas ... form=linux
The linux version does use wine.

What's available now is preliminary. I've asked the maintainers to put whatever working pets and sfses they find in there. The selection should improve over time.

mavrothal

#930 Post by mavrothal »

You may want to include something like defaults chooser in the base, but a version that will ignore or cross check the entries of the /usr/local/bin/default* against available apps first (like defaults wizard).
This would be very handy for those starting with the base and building their own adrv.
But maybe you are already plan this for the adrv maker.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

#931 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:You may want to include something like defaults chooser in the base, but a version that will ignore or cross check the entries of the /usr/local/bin/default* against available apps first (like defaults wizard).
This would be very handy for those starting with the base and building their own adrv.
But maybe you are already plan this for the adrv maker.
I do want to have one. But all existing implementations need work.

Does someone want to write one?

DefaultsChooser needs a list of all possible applications - so it's too high maintenance keeping up the list.

PdefaultApps is incomplete and doesn't work all that well.

I'd rather give the user a list of every app on the system for each category than be too restrictive.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#932 Post by Lobster »

The linux version does use wine.
ah yes :oops:
Stopped using Seamonkey 2.7 (was locking up with lots of tabs and videos) and went
over to FF 10 (that seems to be working fine) :-)

Rox filer pet seems to be working OK
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Iguleder

#933 Post by Iguleder »

Why list all programs when simple heuristics can be applied (e.g browsers have "WebBrowser" in their categories field)? :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

jemimah

#934 Post by jemimah »

Iguleder wrote:Why list all programs when simple heuristics can be applied (e.g browsers have "WebBrowser" in their categories field)? :wink:
Works for browsers - but can be confusing for other categories.

For instance here's what pdefaultapps has for chat client:

Code: Select all

name=`cat /usr/share/applications/$i | grep Name | grep IRC | head -1` 
Doesn't work for Pidgin.

It's not that the concept is bad - just needs more work.

technosaurus

#935 Post by technosaurus »

jemimah wrote:Does someone want to write one?

DefaultsChooser needs a list of all possible applications - so it's too high maintenance keeping up the list.
Iguleder wrote:Why list all programs when simple heuristics can be applied (e.g browsers have "WebBrowser" in their categories field)? Wink
90% of the code for it is in jwm_menu_create (destop file parsing and category distribution) if someone wants to repurpose it, but I was thinking a little outside the norm (as per usual) ... What if it was set up so that simply running an app from the menu _could_ auto-select it as default for its category?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Billtoo

Saluki

#936 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of 010 using the universal installer, after using
gparted.
I used grub4dos afterwards.
I used the puppy package manager to download Firefox 10.0 and VLC
I installed the Nvidia proprietary driver.

Sat 4 Feb 2012 Operating System: Saluki-010 Linux 2.6.39-ski
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: GT216 Board - 0682vb12 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 220/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 275.43
# glxgears
30549 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6109.653 FPS
30580 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6115.973 FPS
30571 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6114.141 FPS

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500
Core 0: 1200 1: 1200 MHz

Good so far, more setting up to do yet.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(136.31 KiB) Downloaded 677 times

mikeslr

Saluki 010 -- Startup Instructions re Frisbee missing

#937 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah & all,

I downloaded the Saluki 010 ISO, unpacked it, and copied it boot files into my Test Folder-- Saves having to re-write Grub4Dos menu.lst frequently. Rebooted into Saluki 010. Laziness is the mother of invention.
I noticed that when booting up the first time, after choosing time zone and clicking OK (a) there was no confirmation that it had been accepted [it had]; and (b) then no pop-up indicating how to get wireless working. Although I'm familiar with Frisbee, newbies might not be.
My system uses RaLink RT2561/RT61 for its wireless connection. Initiated Frisbee, which recognized my adapter and found my network, and I entered my WEP key. [Fios box does not understand WPA]. Frisbee reported "connected" but neither midori, nor Opera from mn/thome/opera was able to access the internet. Tried editing WEP key but received same result. [When first entering wireless settings there's a box which you can check so that you can see what you're typing. No similar box when you enter settings dialog via Edit. So I'm not sure if I didn't mistype several time. At any rate, I shut down without creating a SaveFile, rebooted and had no further problem with Frisbee-wireless. I'm posting from Saluki now. Chalk it up as a fluke until someone else reports problems.
When I unpacked the ISO, in addition to a Puppy's usual boot files, I also copied adrv_luki...sfs to the same folder. On boot up, Saluki reports that it found it. So I guess I'm using it. But frankly, I don't really know what it is, nor how best to make use of it. I recall, I think, some discussion that some apps would remain in --again I think-- Saluki's "core" which I assume (read that as ass u & me) is identical to puppy_luki_xxx.sfs, while others usually found in the puppy.sfs would be placed in "adrive", and that there was some way to move them from one to the other. Mavrothal's recent post indicated that he had booted without adrv. Did he not copy it from the ISO, or copy it other than to Saluki's folder, and if the later where?
I've been working with Puppies for about 5 years. I've read Saluki's entire thread, 'though not in one sitting. All of which is to suggest that if I'm confused about adrv, what would a newby make of it? and to suggest that a detailed explanation --perhaps in a txt file found in my-documents, with a menu entry-- might be appropriate.
I appreciate that the use of adrv is an innovation. But that is all the more reason to provide some sort of guide. As it evolves, the guide/instructions can be edited.

mikesLr

8-bit

#938 Post by 8-bit »

I tried installing the only thing I could find in the Puppy Package manager for Cups from the Wary selection and doing a search for cups.
I then reinstalled the printer with the driver.
It had worked in both Lupu 520 and Slacko 5.3.1.
But when I go to print a test page in Saluki-10, Cups kicks back this error message.
"Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!".

So I still do not understand what is going on with it.
Is underlying postscript support not there in Saluki?

I also have a Zerox P12 lazer printer that uses postscript.
So, specifically, what am I missing?

Consider me as a new dumb user that had downloaded and installed Saluki.
If I cannot get a printer to work, I am going to figure that another OS would be better for me.

I am back from trying to also install my Zerox Docuprint P12 printer.
I supplied the PPD file and I got the same message as the error message above when trying to print a test page.
So, is CUPS broken in Saluki?
What can I do to fix it.
That is the only thing stopping me from running an otherwise great OS!

jemimah

#939 Post by jemimah »

8-bit wrote:I tried installing the only thing I could find in the Puppy Package manager for Cups from the Wary selection and doing a search for cups.
It's an sfs so you have to click "sfs downloader" in the ppm. I intend to make this more apparent in the next release. Probably with an offer to download it when you run the cups setup.

Tman

Re: Saluki 010 -- Startup Instructions re Frisbee missing

#940 Post by Tman »

mikeslr wrote:I've read Saluki's entire thread, 'though not in one sitting. All of which is to suggest that if I'm confused about adrv, what would a newby make of it?
mikeslr

In short, without the adrive.sfs file, Saluki would boot as a barebones pup.
Jemimah has separated the core files, from the extra apps, which is a brilliant idea. The adrive.sfs contains the extra apps.
This allows one to create his or her custom adrive.sfs to replace the original one.