Opera 11 font problems

Using applications, configuring, problems
redandwhitestripes

Opera 11 font problems

#1 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Hi everyone,
I'm running Fluxpup and on every version of Opera 11 I've tried including beta .pet files and the .tar.gz released by Opera today, I get a horrible, eye-hurting, small font.

This does not happen on my other installed browsers including Opera 10. I've checked font settings are identical on my two Opera versions and I've played with font settings in Opera 11's menu to no avail.

Pictures of my (good) Opera 10 and (bad) Opera 11 fonts are below.
I recall Puppy Firefox users having font problems that were solved by tinkering with a config file.
I should also note that I'm using the new Opera in a separate folder, not the /usr/bin folder (I don't want to do that until this problem is cleared up) could that have an affect?

Can anyone offer a remedy?

Any advice is welcome. Have a great Christmas everyone!
Greg

Sit Heel Speak

Too small of fonts in Opera

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Try loading this fonting package and see if it helps:

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/94c0a07433_13.97MB

font-improvements-for-Puppy-Five-0.0.2.pet (14,650,151 bytes)
# md5sum font-improvements-for-Puppy-Five-0.0.2.pet
f35afdc4bf1728f80fdc4560439fbffe font-improvements-for-Puppy-Five-0.0.2.pet

(restart X to take effect)

If still too small, go to

Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Fonts
or
Menu -> Settings -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Fonts

and adjust the minimum size.

redandwhitestripes

#3 Post by redandwhitestripes »

That did the trick! Thank you SHS!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

The PET is no longer there!

Is there a new link for it?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Ray MK

#5 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

One can also quickly zoom font size by using the slider bar that's located at the bottom right edge of the page.

HTH - regards - Ray

pemasu

#6 Post by pemasu »

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

Thanks for the pet - it worked nicely for me (on most web pages anyway - some still look as if they are super-condensed; eg; a google search page. I wonder exactly what the pet changes...?)

However, small problem - the download link creates a gz file, which, when unzipped, creates a file that does nothing. Instead of unzipping the .gz file, it is necessary to remove the .gz suffix, and replace it with .pet

I also had to go into Tools, Preferences, Advanced, Fonts and change the "minimum font size" to 12 to suit my netbook width.

Also, my font is still not perfect - the angled parts of the letter "k" seem washed out and hard to read - but I will experiment further and post back if I find out how to improve it. (Might be something to do with "hinting" setup, but I don't know how to adjust that yet).

At least the pet is a massive improvement.
Ray MK wrote:Hi, One can also quickly zoom font size by using the slider bar that's located at the bottom right edge of the page.
Nice tip Ray - it zooms the whole page really quickly and smoothly - quite useful for getting a closeup view of any pic or text on the page. Quite neat.