Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ggg

#861 Post by ggg »

@ Sage,

Elsewhere, with an off topic link in your reply below, I suggest you explain fully how SeaMonkey fails to meet your needs.

peebee

#862 Post by peebee »

Sage wrote:
I compiled and made a pet of Firefox 10.0, the download link is:
Is this good news, though? v.9 is truly abominable. Is ten more bloated? Frankly I don't care for the direction Mozilla is travelling. SM is appalling for serious browsing. That doesn't leave many options. Opera has never let me down this last decade or so. Let's hope Jemimah can knock Midori into shape as a compact default option.
Hi Sage - you keep repeating your personal prejudices - you must realise that not everybody shares your views - SeaMonkey works entirely adequately for me, and I like the way that it includes an email package and that I can easily link to persistent settings that can be shared between many puppies. I also like chromium / iron for it's clean uncluttered interface. I haven't seen any advantages in opera so far - and particularly dislike its overly complicated treatment of fonts. Most puppies choose 1 browser to offer as default - you can always install opera or another personal favourite if you don't like the default - this seems to meet all your requirements. Making the choices available to people is a strength of the puppy community and really shouldn't be criticised.
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Geoffrey

#863 Post by Geoffrey »

Bug, Having trouble with sound mixer, have tried two different usb headsets, c-media and a logitech I know these work as I have them working previously with the retrovol mixer,

I can see them listed and can select them in the xfce4-mixer, but still the sound only works through the main sound card, running the alsa wizard doesn't find any sound cards at all and Kirk's multiple sound card wizard doesn't run

jemimah

#864 Post by jemimah »

Retrovol is in the repo. Can you check if installing it fixes your problem?
Geoffrey wrote:Bug, Having trouble with sound mixer, have tried two different usb headsets, c-media and a logitech I know these work as I have them working previously with the retrovol mixer,

I can see them listed and can select them in the xfce4-mixer, but still the sound only works through the main sound card, running the alsa wizard doesn't find any sound cards at all and Kirk's multiple sound card wizard doesn't run

jemimah

#865 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:A small error, Extract with Pupzip in Thunar custom commands, the command reads" Pupzip %F ", should be " pupzip %F "
Got it. Thanks!

postfs1

#866 Post by postfs1 »

Attachments
for-fun_-_.jpg
(97.04 KiB) Downloaded 1622 times
Last edited by postfs1 on Wed 01 Feb 2012, 17:01, edited 2 times in total.

technosaurus

#867 Post by technosaurus »

Here it goes again
... wa, wa, wa - boo hoo. I want _my_ favorite browser, I want _my_ favorite mail. I want I want I want!!!
In case anyone is asking, I like my bike sheds to be plain solid masonry block with a concrete roof, a solid core steel door with both a cipher lock and a bump-proof dead bolt.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Sage

#868 Post by Sage »

peebee
Suggest you bone up on your English comprehension. The great thing about John is that he shares my liking for free speech.
As for browsers, my own preferences are shared by a majority on this Forum according to at least two polls we have held here. But when you read a posting, make sure you read ALL of it. Read the part about Midori. Read the verbs. Then you can make your own views plain or just keep your trap shut.
Personally, I was most interested to read and share the laugh with technosaurus concerning his preferences for bike sheds. Brightens up the day.

ggg

#869 Post by ggg »

@ Sag darllng little cherub,

I believe technosaurus was referring to you. Perhaps he will confirm that.

You study your own comment about Midori. It is incorrect.

Tell us about SeaMonkey's "serious" faults or keep quiet when you are being of "no ------- use to anyone".

technosaurus

#870 Post by technosaurus »

I wasn't referring to anyone,
I was referring to everyone
(well almost everyone)
It is just human nature

props to Jemimah for not engaging in the discussion of our bike shed's color :)
Edit: my preference is metallic blue btw
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Keef

#871 Post by Keef »

I vote for a "Community Shed".
Likely to end up like a cross between a Nissen Hut and the Sydney Opera House (as if built by Ikea).
Probably.

pemasu

#872 Post by pemasu »

I want I want I want!!!
Sometimes....to get what you really want....is not that easy....

http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/3

jim3630

#873 Post by jim3630 »

Free speech can be off topic and in poor taste. putting down someones' work and free gift to the community simply because it's not to your liking is well......

postfs1

#874 Post by postfs1 »

jim3630 wrote:Free speech can be off topic and in poor taste. putting down someones' work and free gift to the community simply because it's not to your liking is well......
Excuse me for the words that are off-topic, but:

If some personage is a locomotive then there is an impasse somewhere for him.

cthisbear

#875 Post by cthisbear »

pemasu :

Considering the last conversation >>re b43 Broadcom.

Would this help in Saluki?

I appreciate your previous help with Slacko, just that it
is a PITA with Broadcom.

However I am happy that I test it and moan on Murga
instead of a newbie....if you get my drift.

""""""

From >> Fluppy won't boot

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 3&start=15

Part of the read me on their site.

" DISCLAIMER
----------
This is an Official Release of Broadcom's hybrid Linux driver for use with
Broadcom based hardware.

WHERE TO GET THE RELEASE
------------------------

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

IMPORTANT NOTE AND DISCUSSION OF HYBRID DRIVER
----------------------------------------------
There are separate tarballs for 32 bit and 64 bit x86 CPU architectures.
Make sure you use the appropriate tarball for your machine.

Other than 32 vs 64 bit, the hybrid binary is agnostic to

the specific versions (2.6.X) and distributions
(Fedora, Ubuntu, SuSE, etc).

It performs all interactions with the OS through OS specific files (wl_linux.c, wl_iw.c, osl_linux.c) that are shipped in source form.

You compile this source on your system and link with a precompiled binary file (wlc_hybrid.o_shipped) which contains the rest of the driver.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Chris.

Geoffrey

#876 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:Retrovol is in the repo. Can you check if installing it fixes your problem?
Geoffrey wrote:Bug, Having trouble with sound mixer, have tried two different usb headsets, c-media and a logitech I know these work as I have them working previously with the retrovol mixer,

Still no luck getting usb headsets working, still the same problem, unable to get them to play system sounds even though they appear in the xfce mixer,
the Logitech one I can hear myself in the headset and adjust levels but that's as far as it goes, they don't show in the retrovol mixer and still if I run the ALSA wizard
that kills the mixer and doesn't detect anything, this requires a reboot to get the sound back, the multiple sound card wizard doesn't run,
if I run teamspeak that works with the headsets as it has it's own sound setup utility.
This a usb stick install I wonder if that's the problem, anyone else had similar issues :?

pemasu

#877 Post by pemasu »

cthisbear. This link does contain nice datasheet of broadcom chips.

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... ed_devices

With lspci -nnv you can check what broadcom chip you have and what driver will work for you. There is now new opensource driver family brcm80211, which have two new kernel drivers: brcmsmac and brcmfmac and they handle now 4 chips which were previously handled by proprietary wl.
Wl is tricky. To use it...you have to disable ssb and b43. There is scripts to do that in /etc/init.d or in /root/Startup....but there is also possiblity that ssb disablind has side effects.
Those 2 new drivers now handle some of previously wl driver handled chips...but not all......
If there is need....wl driver can be compiled and included as separate pet with script to automatically disable ssb and b43 and then load wl.

In 3.2.2 kernel those new drivers are changed from staging to network drivers section and same time me or 01micko didnt find the right recipe to get them enabled. Probably it will be fixed properly in next kernel.

Summary...there is still many broadcom chips which needs wl driver...but...I have seen very few requests for wl since brcm80211 family was introduced. Woof automatically installs needed firmwares for brcm80211 to the build if woof script recognizes 2.6.39 kernel or newer.

jemimah

#878 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah wrote:Retrovol is in the repo. Can you check if installing it fixes your problem?

Still no luck getting usb headsets working, still the same problem, unable to get them to play system sounds even though they appear in the xfce mixer,
the Logitech one I can hear myself in the headset and adjust levels but that's as far as it goes, they don't show in the retrovol mixer and still if I run the ALSA wizard
that kills the mixer and doesn't detect anything, this requires a reboot to get the sound back, the multiple sound card wizard doesn't run,
if I run teamspeak that works with the headsets as it has it's own sound setup utility.
This a usb stick install I wonder if that's the problem, anyone else had similar issues :?
It seems the multiple sound card wizard is not actuallly installed. Tman posted a pet of it here to try.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 690#505690

I'll add it to the next release.

jemimah

#879 Post by jemimah »

Billtoo has uploaded his Seamonkey and Firefox pets and his VLC sfs to the saluki repo. To see them, open the Ppm and click the Update Repositories button.

nooby

#880 Post by nooby »

Not sure how to write this at all. My English fails me.

I know you are the Developer. You decide and I am just
a user. Suppose 90% of us users wants to ahve single click?

Why force 90% to change from double click to single click?

Would it not be easier to only force the 10% that needs
double click to get it using the set up? :)

Nope I have no source for my take that 90% wants single
instead of double. Maybe it is 99% that wants single click instead .
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though