Lighthouse 64 5.14.2 Beta 4

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jim1911

#21 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TaZoC,

I'm still thoroughly enjoying LHP64-514 b4 using frugal installations on three different computers with the KDE desktop, however, I have discovered a few more problems.

1. On a Windows computer, Grub4dos configuration running in LHP with a frugal installation on an NTFS partition cannot find any frugal installations on the computer. (There are four frugal installations.) All that's located is Windows.

Incidentally, LHP ran without being shut down for over a week on this computer and had only one other problem, a dropped WIFI connection, which was probably due to week signal strength.

2. On another system, using 01micko's get_libreoffice-0.12.pet in LHP64-514b4 to generate LibreOffice-3.4.4_64_en-US.sfs, the sfs appears to work fine except for printing. Version 3.3.4 prepared with the get_libreoffice-0.12.pet earlier using LHP64-512 works fine including printing. I believe this same problem showed up in LHP64-512.

I hope that you are feeling better and will be completely healed.

Regards,
Jim

gcmartin

#22 Post by gcmartin »

Jim1911 wrote: ...
2. On another system, using 01micko's get_libreoffice-0.12.pet in LHP64-514b4 to generate LibreOffice-3.4.4_64_en-US.sfs, the sfs appears to work fine except for printing. Version 3.3.4 prepared with the get_libreoffice-0.12.pet earlier using LHP64-512 works fine including printing. I believe this same problem showed up in LHP64-512. ...
Hi @Jim1911, I run couple of Live media LH64-514B4 as a normal production models. This is my experience with LibreOffice.

I use the Mariner version. (So even though this may not apply to your usage.)
On Initial boot, I manually selected, Chromium SFS, Java SFS, LibreOffice SFS, and couple others during the SFS selection cycle. All is fine. (you may want to try it).

All is well, including print. But, I do have an annoyance where on reboots, the system pauses at SFS selection. I would have thought that after the 1st "save-session to CD", it would have built the packages into the system/session which would negate the rerunning of the SFS selection. But, aside from he annoyance on boot, the system is brilliantly stable

Libreoffice is available to you via the Update icon on the desktop as well as via the PPM (I think...never looked though).

Hope this is useful information.

RandSec

#23 Post by RandSec »

Just a quick comment to note that Graphic / XSane image scanner complains about running as ROOT: "that really is DANGEROUS!"

Perhaps overly dramatic, but I guess XSane probably ought to come up in spot.

And now that the topic comes up, we need a summary of the rules for spot, and how to do what one might want to do. I recently had a download which I wanted to copy to a USB flashdrive and had trouble. Eventually I got around it. But it is hardly unexpected that someone used to the old Puppy scheme could get into trouble with spot.

Sadly, streaming netflix probably is out of the question, so I still have to keep Microsoft Windows alive on the entertainment system. But if I could figure out how to compile Free Pascal for Lighthouse 64, I think I would be a happy camper!

gcmartin

Re: Lighthouse 64 5.14.2 Beta 4

#24 Post by gcmartin »

RandSec wrote: ... now that the topic comes up, we need a summary of the rules for spot, and how to do what one might want to do. ...
Just today, Barry seems to be addressing this alternate userID issue(s).

Although many will object, maybe a login approach might be more appropriate.

Hope this helps

RandSec

#25 Post by RandSec »

gcmartin wrote:Although many will object, maybe a login approach might be more appropriate.
Before I voice my usual mindless objections, perhaps you could describe what you hope to solve: What weakness exists, and how would a login control it?

Barburo

514 testing

#26 Post by Barburo »

Hi Taz,
I set 514 up on my older 64 bit desktop - an AMD chip @ 1800 Ghz with Radeon graphics.
I needed to run Xorgwizard to get the full resolution for my 1680x1050 screen but no problems after selecting Radeon option.
This system has a parallel printer attached - HP LaserJet 6P - which other versions of Lighthouse recognize but no joy with 514. Asking it to look for printers returns "no printers found" message. I tried adding it as a serial printer (the only option) but still didn't work.

Other things - It's very slow (15 to 20 seconds) to show the initial screen on boot up after the last "starting xwin" (or something like that) message. I'm running compiz desktop which probably slows things down but other versions don't take so long.

Sys-info file attached.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

Jim1911

#27 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TaZoC,

Haven't heard from you for awhile, hope that it's just due to other priorities, and not because of the illness you mentioned. You are missed.

Frugal installations on 2 desktops and 1 laptop with LHP 64-514B4 as primary OS with a KDE desktop are all running fine. However, all 3 only print properly with LibreOffice-3.3.4_64_en-US.sfs as I reported earlier for a desktop.. Later stable versions work fine except for printing on all 3.

Still enjoying 514. :D

Regards,
Jim

tazoc

Not feeling well and very behind here

#28 Post by tazoc »

I apologize for any inconvenience, still not feeling well and very behind with PMs and forum etc... I hope to resume work on Lighthouse 64, but I really don't know if or when.

Am hanging in there, maybe a little better last few days. It's hard to concentrate, make decisions and I'm grumpy/sleepy most of the day. Have been seeing doctor/nurse regularly and slowly getting readjusted to medications/dosage.

Thank you for your concern and patience,
TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Diamond

#29 Post by Diamond »

Thank you tazoc,for this great app!
I am enjoying it very much,but there is one problem...
I can't add serbian language to keyboard layot.. Please help! When I add "serbian" to keyboard layots,nothing happens. I tried several times,but unfortunately,without sucess.
Please help!
Thank you very much for your efforts!

RandSec

Re: Not feeling well and very

#30 Post by RandSec »

Hi TaZoC!

You should know that others consider your work impressive and beneficial. It will be a great loss if you cannot continue.

The screensaver graphics are surprisingly important in Lighthouse 64. I know someone can just pick those up if desired, but as part of the package it argues that the operating system is more than just app support, it actually has things of interest to ordinary people. The colors are vibrant, the motion fluid, and the world rotating backwards is thought-provoking.

I have tried probably a dozen Puppies over the years (only a small part of the total), but have been as happy with Lighthouse 64 as any. It just feels like a better design. Lighthouse 64 is my current suggestion to those who ask me for a platform for their online banking, a secure alternative to Microsoft Windows.

Please get well soon!

RandSec

Kel

Shutdown hang

#31 Post by Kel »

Hi all,

Just installed Lighthouse 64 5.14.2 Beta 4 yesterday. It's absolutely brilliant!

I noticed that the shutdown would hang right during/after acpid:Exiting. i let it sit for about 15min-20min before deciding it wasnt going to proceed further. cntrl-c'd out and did a shutdown -a now. which borked the usb thumbdrive (which i was booted from) as it would no longer boot. after several clean reinstalls to the thumbdrive, i think i have narrowed it down to reboots/shutdowns with a NFS share(s) mounted. this morning i was only able to test once, but unmounting the NFS share(s) allowed a clean shutdown and a valid savefile to be created. I will try it several more times, but i believe this to be the culprit at this time.

I'm not overly familiar with Puppies, enough that i was able to get around, install drivers and pets just fine. Is this an issue with all puppies? I did briefly test last night with fatdog (latest) and had the same problem. Went back to Lighthouse to troubleshoot.

Just something I did, or something that's in Puppy(s)? Can i just put in some unmount lines in /etc/rc.d/shutdown (running on memory there, whatever the shutdown script is) to unmount NFS's?

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. And thanks Tazoc for Lighthouse!!

EDIT: This was a manual mount, so there was no entry in a fstab or anything. Not sure if that makes a difference.

pemasu

#32 Post by pemasu »

umount -a -t nfs might work with Puppy busybox umount.
I believe you can place it to suitable location in /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown.

Eathray

#33 Post by Eathray »

Tazoc,

Thanks for Lighthouse. I added it to my Fatdog machine just because, and am very impressed.

Started with a full install to a partition, but that didn't work out so well, so I switched to a frugal and it seems to run like a champ. Fast and stable.

Having trouble getting VB to install, but that's probably just me (haven't figured it out in Fatdog either :P ).

Hope you get to feeling better.

Eathray

jim3630

#34 Post by jim3630 »

frugal install of the Mariner version to ext4 hdd. auto detected wl driver and made wifi connection on eth1.

able to convert browsers to run as root, update ff to ver.10. all persistent through reboot.

very lovely desktop and artwork. thank you for the hard work.

Puppyt

#35 Post by Puppyt »

Dammit Tazoc - you are a leading light on the forums. My Best Wishes for your full recovery.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

HiDeHo

#36 Post by HiDeHo »

How is 64bit LHP doing atm. Keep up the good work.

snayak

#37 Post by snayak »

Hi All,

How are you getting Virtual Box in this lhpup?

In case somebody is successful, can you please share your vboxdrv driver which is compiled against this lhpup?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

gcmartin

#38 Post by gcmartin »

snayak wrote:Hi All,
In case somebody is successful, can you please share your vboxdrv driver which is compiled against this lhpup? ...
I will probably not be much help for I am not VirtualBox (VB) knowlegible. But, I do remember that LH64 'Mariner" ISO will install VB for you at Boot time. iI assume you have started and are running it using Mariner.
  1. Are you using Mariner and did you get VB from Mariner at boot time?
  2. Or did you get VB from the Update Icon on the LH64 desktop?
I only ask these questions as I seem to remember TaZoC working very hard to try and may it easy to run from his Mariner ISO.

Hope this sets the stage for persons more knowledgible to steer this to a document or instructions showing how to engage a VM in VB use.

Q5sys

#39 Post by Q5sys »

snayak wrote:Hi All,

In case somebody is successful, can you please share your vboxdrv driver which is compiled against this lhpup?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak

From LHP Offiical Release Notes
VirtualBox Installer in System Menu downloads and installs the latest version (based on a script by Kirk)

Run software written for another operating system without having to reboot LIghthouse

Requires Devx-L64_512.sfs
That was for Beta 2. I'm assuming its the same in Beta 4.
That should auto load the vboxdrv. If you've installed virtualbox already and you get an error message about the kernel driver not being installer or whatever... try this at the command line BEFORE you try to start virtualbox

Code: Select all

modprobe vboxdrv

snayak

#40 Post by snayak »

Hi All,

After a day's fight, I finally got the easy way out for vbox installation.

1. Just added devx*.sfs.
2. Downloaded VirtualBox-4.1.8-75467-Linux_amd64.run file from virtualbox.org
3. Clicked on VirtualBox-4.1.8-75467-Linux_amd64.run file.
4. Vbox installed and can be found from start->system.

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]