Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ciento

#1661 Post by ciento »

Thanks for the list. Did you see the northern lights last week?

http://cc.oulu.fi/~thu/Aurora/forecast.html

Cheers

pemasu

#1662 Post by pemasu »

No...I read about them and I saw great pictures...It must have been great nature light show.
But now we have great winter day. Sun is shining in horizon, -22 C degrees, no wind. The most beautiful midwinter day so far.

pemasu

#1663 Post by pemasu »

I have this weekend been busy with competitions. I have been in competition office with my laptop and Exprimo. Pclock has been full screen competition clock for microphone announcer, I have got results from nearby laptop by email and so...I have got up to date results using wlan straight away and I have updated them to the net. So...I have messed with .xls .pdf .rtf whole weekend. I updated the LibreOffice-Rox-right-click pet to be more Get LibreOffice downloader - sfs creator location paths compliant. Now...I have done all my editing - writing - publishing stuff. Here is my taken pic from the start. I suppose it will be in our next local newspaper with my story. The pic quality scaled to 600 is lousy, the full resolution was good.
Attachments
LibreOffice-Rox-right-click-0.0.3.pet
(97.86 KiB) Downloaded 181 times

pemasu

#1664 Post by pemasu »

Mikeslr reported that latest dpup exprimo`s dont behave with his radeon graphics. The same problem arised in Slacko experimental kernels with BFS added. Well...I have used Iguleder`s 2.6.39.4 kernel which has BFS also. I believe this can be the reason why for example 5.X.7 worked ok, but later releases not, I made the kernel change at 5.X.8.

I wonder should I revert to use my compiled 2.6.39.4 or continue with this kernel. I know that Shinobar has created Nvidia and Virtualbox pets which are kernel version dependent. Not sure if there is other kernel module pets around.

I dont have any problems from BFS.

Here is some info about BFS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_Fuck_Scheduler

gerry

#1665 Post by gerry »

Running 5x9 on a Thinkpad T60p.

1- Video. Uses Radeon driver, and seems ok, except that if I change the resolution using xorgwizard then the change does not persist when I reboot. It goes back to the display's default resolution. How do I stop this? I assume it's because xorg.conf gets rewritten automatically at every boot.

EDIT: Weirder and weirder! If I do Menu > shutdown > restart X, then I get the resolution that I've set.
Reboot gets me the default.

Also, seeing your post above, I'll stay with 5x9 for a while.

2- wlan0. When I boot, the connection via wlan0 does not happen automatically. I have to click the network icon at the bottom of the screen, which opens the Frisbee gui, and, with no further action on my part, Frisbee very quickly announces that it is acquiring, and then has obtained, an IP address. I then have to get rid of the gui window. Or I can get connected using the old network wizard.
One clue is that when I boot, if I mouse over the network icon, it says:

Frisbee network interfaces: irda0 eth0 (and some other data)

but does not mention wlan0.

pemasu

#1666 Post by pemasu »

Gerry. I am not sure if it is timing problem with initialization of wireless connection, problem of having 3 wireless wizards and several daemons...of if there is something which I should do differently with Frisbee. There is /etc/init.d/Frisbee demon script....I have in /usr/local/bin/defaultconnect as Frisbee. In /root/Startup/frisbee-tray which launches /usr/local/bin/frisbee-tray binary. And whole bunch of scripts in /usr/local/Frisbee. Also there is 2 setup for dhcpcd.
Sns with its own folder in /usr/local and also the old network classic wizard.
/etc/rc.d/rc.network script also handles wireless connection initialization.

So....it really goes over my horizon from where should I start to search for the fix.

If someone has an idea...I am all ears....er....eyes...

Aitch

#1667 Post by Aitch »

That certainly sounds like a timing or load sequence problem, and it seems to me frisbee came into use to resolve an undealt with longstanding issue with DNS fails, as some routers aren't set for dhcp, thus failing to assign correct IP addresses - I lost count of the number of people I helped by sorting that out....but not finding wlan at all seems more like the driver not finished loading when frisbee tries to connect, which could be a kernel module or driver timing or sequence problem, and just maybe connected with trying to sort out the radeon problem hogging cpu cycles....best I can suggest

Aitch :)

gerry

#1668 Post by gerry »

Thanks both of you. Which program is it that puts up the pop-ups saying "eth0 is down" or "Acquired IP address...."? I found the menu entry for disabling Frisbee, and set up wlan0 using the old wizard. Now wireless springs to life ok. But I have no icon to tell me that I'm connected. The pop-ups still happen, so I can see it happen, but no on-going indication. The pop-ups used to happen when Frisbee was running, so presumably various programs are fighting. So if I could have an icon to show I'm connected.........

It's a pity we have several programs to do the same job- there must be one that's reliable enough to be sufficient by itself?

gerry

pemasu

#1669 Post by pemasu »

The binary behind those popups is xpupsay.
You can install network_tray to have the traditional net connection tray app.
Attachments
network_tray-2.4.3.pet
(5.48 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

Puppyt

#1670 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks gerry - happened with my 5.X.9 frugal install too on a ThinkPad T60 (widescreen, Raedon). While I suspected a load order/module conflict issue similar to that discussed elsewhere (in sc0ttman's Akita thread, from memory), I opted just last night to remove and install iguleder's GuyDog5.0.1 instead. (Doh!) Bit frustrating, as pemasu's PolarPup5+Frisbee is an absolute joy for eduRoam connections on the same machine (about 5 Puppies+WinXp). Please post a progress update 'cos I REALLY want to follow the dpup line.
Cheers too Aitch and pemasu for your rapid input here.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

pemasu

#1671 Post by pemasu »

I will check my laptop-tools-all-dpup package and search if there is incongruences regarding the app locations and from where Frisbee calls them.
I hope 5.X.13 is soon ready. I have done my kernel compiling and hopping now. 3.1.10 - 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 all works for me. Back to 2.6.39.4 with BFS or without.

gerry

#1672 Post by gerry »

@Puppyt- as you can see, I've disabled Frisbee. Sounds as if you would need to do something better, like delay frisbee. I might look at that one day, but can't promise anything.

With regard to the video, my problem is that xorg selects the default resolution, whereas my old eyes prefer a lower resolution. There are lots of xorg.conf files. xorg.conf is what xorg uses when it starts. There is also
xorg.conf.ATI_ATOMBIOSLP154W02_TL0 which is constructed at boot-up, and includes the default resolution, as well as xorg.conf.ATOMBIOS, which contains the resolution setting that I want.

At boot-up, xorg.conf is built using the ****P154W02_TL0 version, ie default values. If I later do RESTART X, then the plain ATOMBIOS one gets used, and I get the resolution that I chose in the xorg-wizard.

So the problem is to get xorg to start using the version that's been modified by xorg-wizard, instead of the nice fresh one that's just been freshly minted.

bedtime.....

gerry
80, and still learning - Gerry

gerry

#1673 Post by gerry »

@pemasu.... I've installed that tray pet, thanks, so I'm happily running with Frisbee disabled.

Not a solution really- just a work-around.

gerry

don570

#1674 Post by don570 »

Note to pemasu:

I tried using the 'Trash' feature. I realized that there
is something wrong with the
version of xmessage that you have in exprimo.

The message is garbled. I think you must be using an old version.

I inserted Fluppy 013 's version of gxmessage and it
gave the message correctly.

Try one of these pets and see if it works for you.

One is xmessage from the recent Slacko
and the other is gxmessage from Fluppy 013
Attachments
gxmessage-fluppy.pet
Taken from Fluppy
(10.25 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
xmessage-slacko.pet
Taken from Slacko
(7.06 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

don570

#1675 Post by don570 »

Here's a picture of the message.
It should say that files are being deleted.

pemasu

#1676 Post by pemasu »

Xmessage comes from woof2. It is inside xorg_base package-template.
I upgrade it to the newer version. Thanks.

pemasu

#1677 Post by pemasu »

I have pm`d to BarryK of my strange problems recently.
It looks like I have to start with fresh woof2. I have corruption with my used one.
Well....it means couple of days work, with my otherwise busy timetable with my other activities.
But I should have sane build then. The 5.X.13 specs are already almost done.

pemasu

#1678 Post by pemasu »

It went much better than I thought. I have uploaded test version now. Frisbee has gone through thorough checking and I have changed several application locations and I found couple of binaries unnecessary duplicated.

This upload serves as test for all recent Barry Kauler woof commits...including underdog probability. Whats that...use search...check Barry`s blog and you know.

UPLOAD finished.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSque ... primo5X13/
Last edited by pemasu on Wed 01 Feb 2012, 06:20, edited 2 times in total.

Jim1911

#1679 Post by Jim1911 »

Downloading, will the existing kernel source be OK?

Thanks,
Jim

pemasu

#1680 Post by pemasu »

Jim1911. Wait 10 minutes. It seems that FireFTP uploaded devx sfs first and main iso takes 10 minutes still. Just noticed.
Kernel source is...and has been ok all the time. Link posted in the first page.
I didnt change the kernel to non-BFS version yet. I know that some radeon users will have problems because of that. But...I dont have any problem...and also many other wont. And...there is atm so many good Puppies to choose.

I could make non-BFS build also...if there is real wish for it.