Atari game emulator

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
8-bit

Atari game emulator

#1 Post by 8-bit »

This is the Atari++ emulator I compiled in Lupu520.
It does not contain any games though as I wanted to keep the upload small.
First, the F1 key will bring up a configuration menu.
Second, the numeric keypad (with numlock set) can be used as a poor mans joystick.
A man file is also included.

Game disk images can be found at http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?idx=1.
There are 382 disk images available.
That should keep you occupied for a while.
I have already downloaded and tried Miner2049er, Pitfall, and BC's Quest for Tires. They can be found at the above link.
Attachments
GAMES.ZIP
Complete list of games on the disk images available at the link.
Helps in getting what you want!
(22.91 KiB) Downloaded 1392 times
Last edited by 8-bit on Tue 12 Jul 2011, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

Wally
Location: Heaven, Dell X1:NO HDD, NO CD, NO FAN Pup 4.3.1 USB Boot............................ {RAP SUCKS!}

#2 Post by Wally »

how do you run the games?

thanks
Wally

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

Wally,
First, you have to extract the game disk you downloaded.
Then start atari++, press F1, and select Disk drive from the menu there and then the icon on the end to browse to a downloaded/extracted file.
Then to Pref, coldstart, And resume.

Also when all else fails, consult the included man file.

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

I am doing a followup to give you some more information on the Atari++ emulator.
Lets just say that you have a few old atari magazines that contain type in software and would like to try your hand at typing it in.
This would work as a learning process and also give you a way to save your programs for future use.
It took me a little investigation to find how to add a blank disk image to use.
But I found out how using the atari800 emulator that has an option in the menu to create a disk image file.
When I went to use it, I found it was not recognized and had to rename it and then format it as it was an unformatted image file.
I will be attaching the disk image file that is already formatted and has an antic typeo2.bas utility to use when typing in programs from the antic magazine.

When you are in basic, you can run it by typing run "D1:TYPEO2:BAS" with the quotes.
To save a typed in program from it, you press SHIFT-BREAK and then type save "D1:PROGRAM.BAS".
You can also use LIST and ENTER as ways to save to and retrieve from disks.
You also can just copy the image file to another name to get more disks to use.
Remember that the Atari used only 8 character file names with a 3 character extension.
So name your programs accordingly.
Also, I used the built in option in selecting the OS as it contains dos.

If you have any questions and get stuck, I will do what I can to help.
Attachments
atari2.atr.zip
Remove the zip extension and you will have a disk image file to use.
You then can rename it to make more disk images.
(130.02 KiB) Downloaded 1120 times

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

I am just curious as to how many others still have and use their physical Atari computers.
I have my 65XE out and connected to an old Compaq laptop that has disk images on it along with a program, APE, that allows me to boot the Atari from a disk image that is stored on the Compaq laptop.
I am in the process of taking it all a step further and making a cartridge type IDE interface to give it a physical hard drive to boot from.

Also, have any of you typed in or created some programs or games using the Atari++ emulator?

I guess you could say I am an Atari enthusiast along with being a Puppy enthusiast.

The fun is seeing just how much you can do with a PC with 64 kilobytes of RAM. That is 1/16th of 1 meg of ram for the challenged and it still amazes me at what can be done in that amount of ram some of which is taken by the OS and Basic leaving 32767 bytes of ram for the program without tricks such as underwriting to the ram below the OS and Basic.

Imagine, if you will, trying to install a command line version of Puppy in 64K of memory!

For an example, I am attaching a demo disk image that you can load in the emulator with Keyboard Option pressed and the OS as XL and not built-in.
Attachments
DEMOS2.XFD.zip
This disk image contains the swan demo as well as a walking robot + spaceship demo. Rename the file without the zip extension to use it.
(90 KiB) Downloaded 1018 times

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

Hi 8bit, have you seen this other topic re atari theme for puppy?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 028#630028
He is not after an emulator but I thought you might have seen something similar to what he is looking for...

8-bit

#7 Post by 8-bit »

I do not know if this would help, but there is a theme maker on this forum certa. 1990 that one might be able to use to make an atari theme.
And as was stated, some of the atari forums may have the graphics available for use in making a theme.

8-bit

#8 Post by 8-bit »

If you would like to try out another Atari emulator that is made to run in Windows,(also works in wine), you can try one called altirra.
More information on it along with a download link can be found here.

I have used it and like it more than the Atari ++ emulator I uploaded.
You can use the atr files as well as rom image files that are loaded as cartridges.
All the information you should need should be available at the provided link.