IBM Thinkpad 600e modem working

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
buvoltz

IBM Thinkpad 600e modem working

#1 Post by buvoltz »

Hey Folks,

This is my first post and I'm happy to bring you all some good news! I have been a programmer since the early 80's.

I have been working along with my good friend Tim Conwell who does much work with IBM Thinkpads and various Puppy installs, to solve the problem of Puppy and the Thinkpad modems. Mainly the 600e series and above.

The good news is I have managed to compile and install the IBM Mwave modem driver and DSP on a 600e, running Puppy 1.0.9 CE, which I am using to write this post with a dial up connection at this moment!

This was accomplished with the GCC compiler AKA. usr_devx.sfs, and mwavem-2.0.tar.gz. The compile took about 7 hrs. to perfect since the Mwave distribution is aimed more at the larger distributions of Linux and I had to alter many of the scripts that are specific to the machine and Linuz they are compiled on.

Some more good news is I believe that I may be able to create a Dotpup specific to the Thinkpad 600e and post it on the forum for download. The "make install' in GCC spreads files system wide in many different directories and would be very difficult to duplicate, how ever, I can re-create the directory structure specific to the 600e in a Dotpup. The Mwave driver will install on some other models also, but until I have one of these other models, the 600e is it for now.

Hope this will help some of my fellow Puppy'ers who own this model and have only had Ethernet up until this point. I will post the Dotpup as soon as possible.

Edit: I failed to mention that this was on a hard drive installation of Puppy but I'm sure it will also work on Live CD, Pen drive, etc.

Peace,
buvoltz