Puppy as a Terminal Server - IMPOSSIBLE???

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Aitch

#21 Post by Aitch »

gcmartin

#22 Post by gcmartin »

Also see x2vnc, freenx, and synergy ...
Thanks Aitch.

These are good desktop packages, but they REQUIRE desktop installations, not ONLY for the server, but also for the client for full screen WYSIWYG operations.

XRDP server DOES NOT require ANY client installation in the Windows or Puppy (as well as the other top-10 distros) Linuxes. The clients are buil-in into all of these.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to review. (P.S. I just found that PEMASU has quietly slipped XRDP into his repositories.)

I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to over the next couple weeks.

I have used this in Ubuntu. All you do is
  1. install nstall/start/ XRDP.
  2. start any RDP client on ANY other Windows/Linux/MAC PC on the LAN
The user gets a running Ubuntu desktop just as if he was sitting at the desktop of that computer. Further, the XRDP server does NOT need a monitor or keyboard or mouse if one chooses.

This would work the same on any Puppy; assuming you have a PET to load.

For a simple application: How about an Internet Browser system where all your downloads, cookies, history, etc is kept so that is safe, secure, iwth only 1 PC exposed on the LAN.

There are many, many other applications I can think of that I have been involved with over the years.

Hope this helps

Aitch

#23 Post by Aitch »

For a simple application: How about an Internet Browser system where all your downloads, cookies, history, etc is kept so that is safe, secure, iwth only 1 PC exposed on the LAN.
Ooh, that sounds interesting, and I have a friend whose been asking about a networked puppy/win2K/MAC OS setup, with just such capability, i.e. having an ability to browse and email, from a [sandboxed?] puppy head, with access via secure networking to the win/mac boxes to transfer/fileshare any downloads to, presumably after checking for viruses

Sounds right up your street, and whilst I get what he wants, I shudder at the thought of putting it together, as I'd get a lifetime job rebuilding it every time he breaks it....which he seems to manage too often for my liking .... :lol: :lol:

Aitch :)

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

Aitch wrote:
For a simple application: ... Aitch :)
This is REALLY simple with XP. He can use XP and a "head" for browsing while using all other PCs/MAC/Linux to get a XP desktop for surfing.

Rebuilding (???) \ have never rebuilt ... Why?

That's just one of the uses of a TS. A user can use ANY desktop application that he sees on the desktop of the PC he connected to.

Hope this helps

Aitch

#25 Post by Aitch »

Obviously loads of unimportant/unnecessary steps here, but very useful insights if contemplating xrdp...

http://scarygliders.net/2011/11/17/x11r ... w-hotness/

It seems there are some login/out/orphaned session issues...?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xrdp/reviews/
gcmartin wrote:Hope this helps anyone who wants to review. (P.S. I just found that PEMASU has quietly slipped XRDP into his repositories.)

I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to over the next couple weeks.
I don't know if you've had time/made any progress....I've been busy dealing with a legal case for the last 6 months which is now [almost] finally decided in my favour, [Just waiting for the arrival of written confirmation]..... however I may need to start a damages claim to recover costs and damages

I will then hopefully be able to look into this again, thanks

Aitch :)