How to open .wmf image files in Puppy? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Flash
Official Dog Handler

How to open .wmf image files in Puppy? (Solved)

#1 Post by Flash »

I have an old CD with thousands of .wmf (NOT wtf) "clip art" image files. It comes with a program to install in Windows that can open the files, but of course I'd like to open them in Puppy. MTpaint won't do it. Is there a way?
Last edited by Flash on Mon 06 Feb 2012, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

maik.murks

Re: How to open .wmf image files in Puppy?

#2 Post by maik.murks »

Flash wrote:I have an old CD with thousands of .wmf (NOT wtf) "clip art" image files. It comes with a program to install in Windows that can open the files, but of course I'd like to open them in Puppy. MTpaint won't do it. Is there a way?
Try GIMP

Cheers :wink:

Maik.Murks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Thanks. I see that a GIMP .pet is available in the package manager for my Puppy. I'll give it a try, soon as I can find the time. :)

don570

#4 Post by don570 »

Apparently it's a very popular format on Windows
But its vectors not bitmap.

Gimp needs

Code: Select all

libwmf	-	Download	Library to convert wmf files	Optional (plugin won't be built)
If you have access to an Apple Mac computer there is
a great shareware program to do conversions

http://www.graphic-converter.net/

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

What does that mean: "plugin won't be built"?

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

I believe XNView (not sure about its successor, XNView MP, or the standalone converter xnconvert) supports WMFs. pemasu has been working on a few versions, such as this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52508

Imagemagick also appears to support WMF... if it's compiled with libwmf. ImageMagick: Formats I haven't really tried using it, though (as opposed to XNView). I'm sure there are others.
Last edited by Makoto on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

James C

Re: How to open .wmf image files in Puppy?

#7 Post by James C »

Flash wrote:I have an old CD with thousands of .wmf (NOT wtf) "clip art" image files. It comes with a program to install in Windows that can open the files, but of course I'd like to open them in Puppy. MTpaint won't do it. Is there a way?
What about Inkscape?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Okay, I installed both Gimp and Inkscape from the PPM. Neither one would open a .wmf file. I found this in Wikipedia:
Windows Metafile (WMF) is a graphics file format on Microsoft Windows systems, originally designed in the 1990s. Windows Metafiles are intended to be portable between applications and may contain both vector graphics and bitmap components....

WMF is a 16-bit format introduced in Windows 3.0. It is the native vector format for Microsoft Office applications such as Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher....

Alternative implementations
The WMF format was designed to be executed by the Windows GDI layer in order to restore the image, but as the WMF binary files contain the definition of the GDI graphic primitives that constitute this image, it is possible to design alternative libraries that render WMF binary files, or convert them into other graphic formats. For example, the Batik library is able to render WMF files and convert them to their Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) equivalent. The Vector Graphics package of the FreeHEP Java library allows the saving of Java2D drawings as EMF files. EMZ is an EMF file compressed with gzip.
I installed Imagemagick from PPM but it doesn't show in the Menu under Graphics as it's supposed to (neither did Gimp but it started when I entered gimp in a console. I couldn't start Imagemagick from console: 'command not found.')

Makoto

#9 Post by Makoto »

I don't think it has a direct 'imagemagick' command/binary (and it's a set of command-line tools, as far as I'm aware, so it won't appear in the Puppy menu).

An example from the Imagemagick homepage's page on installation, reformatted slightly. (ImageMagick: Install from Binary Distribution):
Finally, to verify ImageMagick is working properly, type the following on the command line:

$ convert logo: logo.gif 
$ identify logo.gif 
$ display logo.gif
And, some (?) examples of usage:
ImageMagick v6 Examples
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

kooliepup

#10 Post by kooliepup »

To get ImageMagick up, type display in console.
For GraphicsMagick, type gm, or gm display, or gmdisplay, depending on what version you use.

and use those words for file-manager associations.
Last edited by kooliepup on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

Flash,

Since this sounds like a one time deal, I'd copy'm down'n issue a: mogrify -format [jpg, gif, whathaveyou] *.wmf

Besides the required deps I think you're gonna need the libmagickcore2-extra codecs.

Gif or jpg will both be smaller after conversion, png larger.

==

On the other side of the coin you could create a simple script, say wmf_open.sh:

#!/bin/sh
display "$@"

.. then go ahead'n set the run action by rt-clking one of your wmf's and drag'n the script in.

Works'a treat!
Attachments
im-display_open-wmf.jpg
(40.38 KiB) Downloaded 1631 times
Last edited by Semme on Tue 31 Jan 2012, 17:55, edited 3 times in total.

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

Flash wrote:What does that mean: "plugin won't be built"?
Probably means "plugin won't be built by default". So the packager needs libwmf AND needs to specifically choose to build it.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

I installed Imagemagick from Wary 5 PPM. Now I get an imagemagick GUI if I type "display" in a console but after that all I get are error messages when I try to get it to open a .wmf file:

# #!/bin/sh
# display *.wmf 
display: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libMagickCore.so.3)
sh: wmf2eps: command not found
display: unable to open image `*.wmf':  @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2498.
display: delegate failed `"wmf2eps" -o "%o" "%i"' @ error/delegate.c/InvokeDelegate/1061.
display: unable to open image `/tmp/magick-XXXwjIRX':  @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2498.
display: unable to open file `/tmp/magick-XXXwjIRX':  @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/571.
sh: wmf2eps: command not found
#

# mogrify # mogrify 
mogrify: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libMagickCore.so.3)
Version: ImageMagick 6.6.2-6 2010-11-07 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2010 ImageMagick Studio LLC
Features: OpenMP 

Usage: mogrify [options ...] file [ [options ...] file ...]

......a *long* list of options......
Semme wrote:...Besides the required deps I think you're gonna need the libmagickcore2-extra codecs....
Is this the right one? Where do I put it?

I could download the latest binary release for Unix, but I don't know how to use it. Would it include everything I need to open wmf files?

kooliepup

#14 Post by kooliepup »

You will only dig yourself deeper in the ditch doing that.

Start again with the proper .pets.

http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/Pu ... py-421.pet
Compiled for 421, but runs fine on 520 and Slacko.
You will need libiconv-2.4.0.

or if you want GraphicsMagick, which is a fork,
ftp://repository.tspu.edu.ru/puppyrus/u ... 1.3.12.pet
Don't get ImageMagick from here.
Don't get GraphicsMagick from the other site.

You can install both, as they will happily cohabit.

Or if you don't want to stuff around with all that, post a .wmf file here and I will see what else opens it.

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

Aside from the deps that should've been pulled in, make sure libmagickcore2 and libmagickwand2 are there as well before run'n with Kooliepups`advice. That script'll work as soon as you get your deps in order. Wouldn't hurt :wink: to state which system you're try'n to run this on either cause, based on your pkg selection, I'd guess one in the Lucid series..

As far as the extras pkg, this (yes, same as yours) should suffice.

Oh'n.. here's your libxml2.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry I haven't been responding. I didn't know there were any new replies. I didn't click the "watch this topic for replies" option and I didn't see the thread in the list of new posts since my last visit. :oops:

Anyway, I won't have time to try anything new for a day or so. Again, thanks.

Dingo

#17 Post by Dingo »

on CTAN I found

wmf2eps
http://ctan.org/pkg/wmf2eps
A Win32 program to convert MS-Windows Metafile Graphics (WMF) containing either vector-images or bitmaps into Encapsulated PostScript format having tight bounding-boxes at exactly the same size as the WMF-originals.
I have not yet tried if it is working with wine
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

kooliepup wrote:...if you don't want to stuff around with all that, post a .wmf file here and I will see what else opens it.
Okay, here's one. Change "tar.gz" to "wmf". I have no idea what it should look like.

If .wmf is Microsoft Office's native image format, OpenOffice might be able to open it, but could it convert it to jpg?
Attachments
ADV003.tar.gz
(17.41 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

kooliepup

#19 Post by kooliepup »

So, do you want the good news or the bad news?

OK, the bad news..

Won't open
XNView MP
Viewnior
Fotowall
Geeqie
GQView
Gimp 2.7
Fotoxx
Mashup
Inkscape
InkLite
Posterazor
Pencil
MTPaint
Laidout
TonicPoint
Dia
Scribus
Xara
ImageMagick
GraphicsMagick

Will open
sdraw (LibreOfficeDraw)

and it will export it to a variety of formats.

Your logic is in a healthy condition. :)

It's the Jetsons.

Yes, even tho it is a vector format, it will export to .jpg, which is a raster format.

Cheers.

Makoto

#20 Post by Makoto »

Maybe one of the XNView (non-MP) versions might do it, I don't know. MP is still more of a work-in-progress program, so it might not handle everything the original XNView does.

Edit: Quick test; in Windows, my versions of XNView and GIMP (as well as IrfanView) opened the WMF with no problems. In Puppy...
XNView (from XnView-1.70-patched-i486-slxr.pet): No.
GIMP (from gimp-2.6.8-sfs3.sfs): No.
OpenOffice (from openoffice3.2-sfs3.sfs) Yes - after insisting that my installed JRE was 'defective.' :shock:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).