How I got Telstra 3G Elite modem working in Puppy 5.28

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
nap44

How I got Telstra 3G Elite modem working in Puppy 5.28

#1 Post by nap44 »

Hi,

I've been trying to get my Telstra elite 3G dongle, using the sakis3g wireless connection software, to work on my Puppy Lucid 5.28.004 OS, albeit unsuccessfully.

It tries to connect and I got to a point where I'm shown a display box, but unfortunately it disappears, if anything is clicked. I don't have the necessary skills to troubleshoot it, so I have given up. No trouble getting it to work in any Ubuntu based linux, but not Puppy.

However, some good news! In my endeavours, I have managed to get this dongle to work in Puppy 5.28 using the Puppy Internet Connection Wizard. Below is the procedure I used, which may help others to avoid the frustrations I've encountered and save much time.

1. Boot Puppy without the USB modem installed.

2. Download and install this pet. usb-modeswitch-1.2.0-20111023-adapted.pet (courtesy rerwin) from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 074#431074
Don't know if it is necessary, but it appears to be a later version than in 5.28.004

3. Insert modem and wait until the red modem light changes to solid blue.

4. Click Menu->Setup->Internet Connection Wizard. When this dialogue box opens, go to the bottom and tick PupDial (modem dialup) as the Desktop/tray. Whilst In this box select-> Internet by dialup analog or wireless modem. Note: On my system under Current setup/status it said “No dialup modem detected