Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 04:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How I got Telstra 3G Elite modem working in Puppy 5.28
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
nap44

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2012, 06:46    Post subject:  How I got Telstra 3G Elite modem working in Puppy 5.28  

Hi,

I've been trying to get my Telstra elite 3G dongle, using the sakis3g wireless connection software, to work on my Puppy Lucid 5.28.004 OS, albeit unsuccessfully.

It tries to connect and I got to a point where I'm shown a display box, but unfortunately it disappears, if anything is clicked. I don't have the necessary skills to troubleshoot it, so I have given up. No trouble getting it to work in any Ubuntu based linux, but not Puppy.

However, some good news! In my endeavours, I have managed to get this dongle to work in Puppy 5.28 using the Puppy Internet Connection Wizard. Below is the procedure I used, which may help others to avoid the frustrations I've encountered and save much time.

1. Boot Puppy without the USB modem installed.

2. Download and install this pet. [url]usb-modeswitch-1.2.0-20111023-adapted.pet[/url] (courtesy rerwin) from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=431074#431074
Don't know if it is necessary, but it appears to be a later version than in 5.28.004

3. Insert modem and wait until the red modem light changes to solid blue.

4. Click Menu->Setup->Internet Connection Wizard. When this dialogue box opens, go to the bottom and tick PupDial (modem dialup) as the Desktop/tray. Whilst In this box select-> Internet by dialup analog or wireless modem. Note: On my system under Current setup/status it said “No dialup modem detected”, but that did not appear to effect my installation.

4. At the top of the PupDial box you should see “Selected modem device interface: /dev/ttyUSB1 or similar. Yours might be USB2 but there is a “CHOOSE” to select another port.

5. Scroll down and enter under Account1:-

6. Phone/Access number: *99***3#

7. Username: Anything here! I used myusername (must not leave blank).

8. Password: Anything here! I used mypassword (must not leave blank).

9. Wireless APN: telstra.internet

10. Tick Stupid mode.

That's it for setup!

Click CONNECT

A dialog box headed “PupDial: WvDial connection log” will open, but there will be nothing in the box. At the botton there is a choice of “Disconnect or stop trying” and “Close window but stay on line”. Just minimise this window, so that it is available for disconnection.

The modem should now be blinking blue which indicates you have a connection.

Hope my instructions have not been too confusing and is of assistance. My sample speeds are 6762kbps upload and 1292kbps download with a ping of 77ms Sydney to Melbourne.

Cheers!
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: