Puppy can't use a DVD-RAM?

Please post any bugs you have found
octonysa

Puppy can't use a DVD-RAM?

#1 Post by octonysa »

I'm using both Slacko 5.3.1 Black Beauty and Lucid 5.2.8 and neither one will play a data file from my DVD I have no problem with audio or burning ISO files. I have a Compaq Presario Model cq 5000 with a AMD 170 u cpu at 2Ghz with 8 Gb of ram on a Foxcon amd 3+ MB with a 760 chip set and a 500 GB HD. The DVD is a HP DVD- RAM GH 60L . The drive mounter lists it as a sr0 iso9660.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

As far as I know, Linux cannot read a DVD-RAM. :(

Or did you mean the drive says DVD-RAM on it and you tried to read a regular DVD (say, a DVD-R or DVD+R)?

octonysa

#3 Post by octonysa »

Thank you for your answer. It does not work in Ubuntu 11.10 either. Now I know why.

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

As far as I know, Linux cannot read a DVD-RAM.
Look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM#Compatibility

It says it can be udf formatted ..

Look further down the page for

Puppy 528 can't read DVD data disk made by Windows

:wink:

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

Karl, I have been there and used some of your exelent information to access data on a DVD+ r/w that vista formatted by default as UDF.
I would like to see your work progress to the point of where I could access an optical disk just by clicking on it and the underlying software deciding if the optical disk was 9660 or udf format and applying the correct code to mount it.

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

8-bit :

Today just yet i got smsd,gsmsmsd AND vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux working after 3 month trying around .. :proud:
:D

It seems to miss two or three pythons but works .. posting from it now on Puppy511 .. :proud:

There are several files involved and i would need to boot frugal pfix=ram to make a clean package .. for i am a full install freak ..

I will see what i can do , but it might take a week and a testing cycle for my typsos :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Is it possible that Puppy's kernel needs to be compiled with DVD-RAM support built in? I wouldn't know how to check.

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

A few days ago Puppy 5 was released, using a recent Linux kernel that, if the response above is correct, should natively support UDF. If that's true, then the issue is not of UDF, but of support for DVD-RAM.

I tested three brands of DVD-RAM disks, 3x and 5x, both blank and formated and written to (by SLAX 6.1.2) in UDF 1.5 format. Puppy 5 was unable to mount any of the disks, and its chief burn utility Pburn appears equally unable to do anything with a blank DVD-RAM disk.
Starting from kernel 2.6.26, Linux fully supports all versions of UDF, so simply make sure that you are using a recent distribution and you should be alright.
http://linuxexchange.org/questions/283/udfdla-support-in-linux

Code: Select all

modprobe -l |grep udf
bash-3.00#

Code: Select all

grep UDF /etc/modules/*
/etc/modules/DOTconfig-k2.6.33.2-27MAY2010-LUPU-SMP-TICKLESS:CONFIG_UDF_FS=m
/etc/modules/DOTconfig-k2.6.33.2-27MAY2010-LUPU-SMP-TICKLESS:CONFIG_UDF_NLS=y
So the lupu kernel is configured with udf support as module and mount-FULL should autoload it

For now the CLI in puppy is your best friend mounting DVDs formatted other than iso9660 .

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

I think maybe the problem is not the way the DVD-RAM is formatted but the fact that it's a DVD-RAM. I have several drives which claim they can read and write DVD-RAMs but Puppy couldn't do it. I only tried once, and returned the DVD-RAM for a refund after I discovered I couldn't use it.

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

It seems that DVD-RAM can even be formatted with NTFS ..
Maybe even with EXT2 ..

Maybe Gparted can do this running without the filtering puppy shell script ..

I have no burner , so can not confirm this .

mkfs.ext2 /dev/sr0 in case sr0 is the burner would be interesting to try .

LateAdopter

#11 Post by LateAdopter »

I have just tried Lupu528 with one of my DVD-RAM disks and it failed to mount.

To work around this I added a line to /etc/fstab to specify a mount point and a filesystem for /dev/sr0

I put /mnt/dvd as the mount point since it already exists

udf as filesystem

rw

Having rebooted. looking in /mnt the folder dvd now has a grey dot. Clicking the folder successfully mounted the DVD-RAM disk and the video on it would play correctly.

Note: the puppy mounter still failed to mount the disk

So Lupu 528 is capable of mounting and using a DVD-RAM

My entry in fstab was:

/dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd udf rw 0 0

Since am a beginner it is likely that this will break something else.

Perhaps an expert could advise what a complete fstab entry should look like!

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

fstab is pretty old ..

fstab is static , not dynamic .

Putting anything else into it would not simply mount : wrong filesystem type .

tony

#13 Post by tony »

Hi,

after a lot of googling I downloaded udftools from the package manager.

Added this line to /etc/fstab :-

xxxxx /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd ext2,udf,iso9660 noatime,noauto,users,rw xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry that should be :-

/dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd ext2,udf,iso9660 noatime,noauto,users,rw 0 0

As I did not want the old format on the disk I formated the dvdram using :- mkudffs /dev/sr0

mounted sr0 from rxvt console :- mount /dev/sr0

Then read and write from /mnt/dvd

Make sure that your dvd burner can handle dvd-ram disks

also that you have read /write permissions.

This worked for me in puppy lupu 528

Regards Tony
Last edited by tony on Wed 25 Jan 2012, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

LateAdopter

#14 Post by LateAdopter »

tony

Do you know whether udftools have a method for setting/clearing the DVD-RAM write protect status?

tony

#15 Post by tony »

Hi late adopter,

I just found my /etc/fstab entry should've had a couple of zeroes at the end.

/dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd ext2,udf,iso9660 noatime,noauto,users,rw 0 0

this might be the problem.

udftools can reformat the disk. My disks were also read only before I reformatted them.

I would guess that read/write permissions would have to be handled by linux commands using rxvt console.

Maybe a puppy guru could step in and help.

Regards Tony.

hayden

DVD-RAM

#16 Post by hayden »

Not a Puppy guru but an experienced user of DVD-RAM. I'll add a bit to this old thread in case someone else finds it via a search.

DVD-RAM is generally problematic. It would be easier if a DVD-RAM drive handled only DVD-RAM disks, or if those disks could be assumed to be in some standard format. Many recent multi-drives show up in Windows as DVD-RAM drives to the puzzlement of users who never heard of DVD-RAM;-) To make matters worse, you may not actually be able to read or write a DVD-RAM in that drive!

The Panasonic drivers for Windows got around some of these issues by assigning their DVD-RAM drives TWO drive letters. One was for DVD-RAM and the other for other DVD formats and CD formats as well. Panasonic also provided drivers to format the disk and to use UDF. By Windows XP, there were built-in drivers for DVD-RAM but they often did not work or at least did not provide full functionality. For example, you might have to manually switch the drive from being a CD drive to being a DVD-RAM drive -- and back.

Very few people now use DVD-RAM. Does anyone even make the media any more? In any case, with such low demand it may never be worth anyone's while to create code that sorts all this out automatically. OTOH, it should be possible to handle these manually as noted in some posts above and elsewhere on the Internet. In one case, someone mounted a DVD-RAM and formatted it as EXT2!

BTW. DVD-RAM disks have a write-protect tab like a floppy in addition to any permissions within Linux so you may have to make sure the media is writeable in both ways.

LateAdopter

dvd-ram-control

#17 Post by LateAdopter »

To answer my own question, having landed on this thread again, while searching the internet.

dvd-ram-control will set persistent write protection on a DVD-RAM disk.

The manpage is terse in the extreme. It says you can ask the status or set the write protection, but it doesn't say how to ask without setting it.

Also I found that, with write protection set, if I delete a file in Rox filer, it disappears and there is no error. But if I then eject the disk and reload it, the file is still there.