Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
aarf

#721 Post by aarf »

@smokey01 & alec78
Thanks for the confirmations. Yes something strange has happened . Both the 006 and the 007, to 008 deltas are producing the same new wrong 008.iso at 40 M. Have to investigate further. Halting production of deltas for now. When delta production starts again an md5sum text files with new old and delta md5sums all included will also be produced to the output directory. Have the code just a matter of rearranging it.
Last edited by aarf on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Saluki

#722 Post by Billtoo »

I compiled seamonkey 2.7 beta 4 in Wary.

The download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-280ae5c2.html
Attachments
smbetascrn.jpg
(76.4 KiB) Downloaded 823 times

jemimah

#723 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:jemimah,thanks for Cairo dock, works great even in no OpenGL mode, I really like the desklets, far better than trying to use pwidgets.

I noticed there was no menu entry, this will get it working
(no OpenGL)

Code: Select all

cairo-dock -c
OpenGL (hardware acceleration)

cairo-dock -o
I took out the menu entries. It seemed odd to me that one would start the dock from the menu. I suppose I could ask which setting you want in the installer script.

jemimah

#724 Post by jemimah »

Aitch wrote:
jemimah wrote:Binscan looks cool, but there's no actual download.
http://binscan.svn.sourceforge.net/

Aitch :)
If they haven't made a release yet, it's probably a bit too green for my taste.

jemimah

Re: Xce4 panel persistence

#725 Post by jemimah »

Marv wrote:Updated 007 save file to 008, manual frugal install to cfcard. Everything went well, all settings preserved, Excellent fonts now, my CUPS printer installation of an HP4500 survived. I'll address the sfs vs pet printer driver ? in another post.

One oddity noted. The xfce4 panel reverted to the default settings. Reapplied the launchers and appearance settings easily enough. Saved to the flash and rebooted.
Panel reverts back to the default.

Removed the save file and booted 008 fresh. Added one launcher to the panel, set some appearance parameters rebooted, creating a save file, and poof it reverts to default again.

In /root/.config/xfce4/xconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/ the xfce4-panel.xml file is being overwritten with the default on reboot. If I copy in a saved xfce4-panel.xml file the panel is fine.

The launchers in /root/.config/xfce4/panel survive ok and all other xfce4 settings also are ok.

Can someone try to replicate? No problems at all here til 008.

Thanks,
That's odd. I'll check it out.

jemimah

Re: cairo-dock

#726 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:you need to turn on the Compositor in window manager tweaks to activate the transparency
Worked. Thanks (May be this could be part of the pinstall.sh)

Any trick to open folders? Should I "tell" it somehow to use thunar?
Also the "home" icon points to shortcuts desklet which is kind of confusing. Anyway to reconfigure?
You should be able to customize it quite a lot. Just right-click and goto Cairo-dock->Configure. Unfortunately the configuration dialog assumes you have a huge monitor. :(

I see what you mean about shortcuts not opening. I see if I can find out why.
Last edited by jemimah on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#727 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:I should be be going to sleep soon..:o
Luki 008 is impressive. Midori still has it's quirks but Saluki looks like it's good enough for day to day use. Great work, Jemimah.
Yeah. There's not a lot more I can do to fix up midori. Installing your own preferred browser is still highly recommended. I do think midori is a better choice than no browser, or including a large popular browser which is then difficult to update.

yordanj94

touchpad

#728 Post by yordanj94 »

Hi.
How can i enable tapping on my touchpad ?
I can only move my cursor,but not to tape.
Laptop Dell latitude C610.
With LUPQ-511 and Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 i can do that with from the very beginning,but here iF i try to calibrate it it crashes and restarts X.
Thanks in advance.

Jim1911

#729 Post by Jim1911 »

Manual frugal installation of 008 on a ext4 partition on my desktop is working good however, manual frugal installation on ext4 partition on Dell Inspiron Laptop will not boot. Goes to a gray screen just as it did with 007.

Cheers,
Jim

jemimah

#730 Post by jemimah »

jemimah wrote:Here is cairo-dock. You need to install gtkglext first and turn on compositing in xfwm tweaks.

http://smokey01.com/jemimah/saluki/pets ... 0-i486.pet
http://smokey01.com/jemimah/saluki/pets ... -2.4.0.pet

Size is 3.7MB.

The workspace switcher applet caused the dock to crash so I deleted it. I may see if I can fix it later.

So far I am super impressed with how well this just integrates with xfce.
I've uploaded a new patched version - now the shortcuts work.

sszindian

#731 Post by sszindian »

Hi jemimah!

a few things testing 008:

Multi burn and saved to a CD...

Medori configuration lost upon re-boot?

No 'SAVE' option on desktop upon reboot? The SAVE or NO SAVE option did appear upon shutdown but very inconvenient if you want to update a file and not save a session!

wlan0 is recognized by Racy-5.2.2 (although I haven't been able to get it working yet?) Saluki-008... Frisbee does NOT recognize wlan0 only eth0 as available networks.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

jemimah

Re: 008

#732 Post by jemimah »

sszindian wrote: No 'SAVE' option on desktop upon reboot? The SAVE or NO SAVE option did appear upon shutdown but very inconvenient if you want to update a file and not save a session!
The save button has been moved to the shutddown dialog. Some people wanted a iconless desktop and found it annoying that the save icon kept coming back.

jemimah

Re: Xce4 panel persistence

#733 Post by jemimah »

jemimah wrote:
Marv wrote:
One oddity noted. The xfce4 panel reverted to the default settings. Reapplied the launchers and appearance settings easily enough. Saved to the flash and rebooted.
Panel reverts back to the default.
That's odd. I'll check it out.
Looks like I got the layering wrong for pupmode 13. The adrive is on top of the save file. Oops. I'll fix that for saluki-009.

aarf

#734 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:@smokey01 & alec78
Thanks for the confirmations. Yes something strange has happened . Both the 006 and the 007, to 008 deltas are producing the same new wrong 008.iso at 40 M. Have to investigate further. Halting production of deltas for now. When delta production starts again an md5sum text files with new old and delta md5sums all included will also be produced to the output directory. Have the code just a matter of rearranging it.
after some checking i am at a complete loss to explain why the produced 008 is only 40M. Can someone with both 007 (or 006) and 008 produce the delta, then move 007 and delta to a new folder and try to create 008 from 007 plus delta and see if it is the real deal 008 that is produced. Check the md5sum of the produced 008. I think xdelta is failing because of some unknown characteristic of 008. Clicking open the produced 008, it will look ok but you cant copy the whole contents out of the mounted folder to a new folder. (To do the usual manual frugal.) My failures are happening in both racy and luci003. All on ext3 partitions.

Marv

008 pupmode 13 layering

#735 Post by Marv »

Thanks for the quick getback jemimah.

A couple of general thoughts.

One of my panel launchers invokes a simple script that runs save2flash and also backs up that savefile to a second partition on the cf card. Saved me a fair amount of rework a number of times when my pruning tendencies got ahead of my common sense. Works better for me than a desktop icon.

On printer installation (with the caveat that this was done in 008). I loaded the printer sfs and CUPS immediately found and correctly installed my HP4500, an all-in-one officejet supported under hplip 3.10 and later. Hoorah!! Then I unloaded the sfs to work on how much room a 'pet based approach' would save. Then an oops. The printer still exists in CUPS world and an attempt to print to it choked CUPS such that reloading the sfs would not allow printing. Then to the usual CUPS death spiral... Didn't have to uninstall but stopped CUPS, rm -rf the CUPS spool, run, and cache dirs in /var, restarted CUPS and installed from pets hplip-print-3.11.10, cups-pdftops-filter-1.3.11, and ghostscript-8.15.4-q1. Probably more gs than I need but roughly a 2.4Mb total and CUPS finds and prints reliably.

In short, CUPS is pretty order dependent, picky, and easy to offend.
Easy as it is, possibly the sfs might lead to problems like I had. Thoughts?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mavrothal

#736 Post by mavrothal »

Luki is looking good so here are few little usability things you may want to take care at some point, for a good first impression :D

some folders in /root have 700 permissions (so apps ca not write in them)
no savefile-size option in the new first shutdown savedialog
no save icon on the desktop if legacy save is picked (legacy...)
"save" in the shutdown screen is easy to miss
no builtin_files in the adrv
the mixer icon on the tray is hardly visible
geany fonts too big
geany save file dialog too big if dpi is adjusted (more than 900px vertical)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

emil

xgamma-gui

#737 Post by emil »

It seems there is a very old version of xgamma-gui in Saluki which is buggy.
fix:
replace /usr/sbin/xgamma-gui with this version
details about bugfix here
8) emil

Billtoo

Saluki

#738 Post by Billtoo »

@jemimah

I made an sfs file of Goggles Music Manager 0.12.6 (approx 10mb) but
when I tested it it gave an error about libgcrypt version conflict and seg faulted, if I install the libgcrypt pet that I made and try it again it works.

I put libgcrypt-1.4.6-i686.pet that I made in 008 in the sfs, maybe I
should wait for the final Saluki and try again?
Attachments
Screenshot-2.jpg
(111.38 KiB) Downloaded 961 times

emil

R, gnuplot

#739 Post by emil »

I was very positive surprised to find the gfortran compiler in the devx package. I couldn't resist to rebuild the R package for Saluki:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 104#599104

Also Gnuplot package seems to work:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72356

octave sfs package for slacko seems to work too:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72406

Yacas package seems to work too
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72388

maybe those could go to the repos?

Geoffrey

#740 Post by Geoffrey »

I can't get Thoggen DVD ripper to work, don't no if it is to do with anything I've done, can someone comfirm if it runs at all.

thoggen
registering static thoggen plugins
 :: GStreamer core version: 0.10.35.0
 :: System: Linux puppypc29488 2.6.39-ski #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 14 01:47:00 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux 
 :: dbus_bus_get(DBUS_BUS_SYSTEM) failed at th-device-pool.c:222!

** WARNING **: dbus_bus_get(DBUS_BUS_SYSTEM) failed at th-device-pool.c:222!

:: libhal_ctx_init() failed at th-device-pool.c:232!

** WARNING **: libhal_ctx_init() failed at th-device-pool.c:232!

:: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
 :: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
process 8278: arguments to dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block() were incorrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 3483.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Aborted