Slacko 5.3.3-RC2 (5.3.2.4[0])

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
drblock2

Alpha 3 won't boot

#141 Post by drblock2 »

Slacko 5.3.3-alpha3 refuses to boot on my AMD Athlon (2GHz). It just hangs after announcing initrd.

Alpha2 booted, but gave me blank menus.

The md5sums were fine. I suspect that Athlon does not like the 3.x kernel. The latest Racy 5.2.2 with the 3.0.7 kernel also had strange problems which prompted me to give up on it.

Good that 01micko is rolling back to 2.6.39.4 for the MAIN version.

mavrothal

rc.udev

#142 Post by mavrothal »

Mick,
I noticed you have /etc/rc.d/rc.udev in the build but it is not called from anywere or ever run. Actually it will not run even manually since /usr/{bin,sbin} is missing from its path.

Fixing the path and calling it from rc.sysinit with

Code: Select all

--- a/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit	2011-09-21 23:53:37.000000000 +0300
+++ b/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit	2012-01-23 10:00:03.000000000 +0200
@@ -114,6 +114,10 @@
 #if have just done a switch_root, output a 'done' message...
 [ -d /initrd ] && status_func 0 #note, /initrd does not exist when a full-hd installation.

+[ ! -d /dev/.udev ] && mkdir /dev/.udev
+/etc/rc.d/rc.udev start
+
 . /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG #modules loading configuration.
 PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R7/bin
 [ $loglevel ] && LOGLEVEL=$loglevel #boot param.
runs fine and does not give me any problems.
Does not solve any either, but that's because I do not have any device issue with 5.3.1.3 :D

I'm not entirely sure if this is the best place to start it but I can not test this without a devise problem
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

Re: B43 report

#143 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:Try to see if adding this line in the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit immediately after:
"echo "LOAD KERNEL MODULES"
echo -n "Loading kernel modules..." >/dev/console"
Will help auto detecting the driver.

udevadm trigger --action=add --subsystem-match="net"

If this fails try this patch
Hi mavrothal

Thanks for your interest...

Applied your first patch to a pristine pfix=ram version of 5.3.13, rebooted - sad to say the b43 wifi was not detected :-(

I'm afraid the 2nd patch is beyond my level of competency to apply ... can you give me some clues on what I should do to apply it - thanks.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

Broadcom

#144 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote: Applied your first patch to a pristine pfix=ram version of 5.3.13, rebooted - sad to say the b43 wifi was not detected :-(

I'm afraid the 2nd patch is beyond my level of competency to apply ... can you give me some clues on what I should do to apply it - thanks.
Don't wary you did not miss anything...

Turns out that my home iMac has a Broadcom wifi module :shock:
So I tried few things for myself. :D with similar results.

Ended up realizing that the Broadcom firmware is missing from the build (the folder is there but empty) and udev can not handle it.

Even if I manually load the module ifconfig still fails to bring wlan0 up.
Is it suppose to be added from a pet or something? (sorry haven't followed the Broadcom story closely).

Please point to a proper 5.3.1.3 version so I can take another stub at it (assuming I'm allowed access to the machine :lol: ).
Last edited by mavrothal on Mon 23 Jan 2012, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

don570

#145 Post by don570 »

Thanks for explanation jim3630
Is that one of don570's "right click" things? Reason I ask is that I can't see how that would work without a wrapper script.
Sounds like ghasher or gtkhash wasn't installed properly.
Barry's blog mentioned a bug that he has
fixed involving links in the 'SendTo' folder. Ttuuxx's gtkhash
package unfortunately used the 'SendTo' folder for links and this
was causing the strange behaviour. :cry:

Check to see if you have put any links in 'SendTo' folder.
Transfer them to 'OpenWith' folder.

I suggest installing a compatible version again and then
installing my right click package again. There's no harm
done installing it a second time.

But if that doesn't work better start with a fresh installation again.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 035#586035

peebee

Re: Broadcom

#146 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:Ended up realizing that the Broadcom firmware is missing from the build (the folder is there but empty) and udev can not handle it.

Even if I manually load the module ifconfig still fails to bring wlan0 up.
Is it suppose to be added from a pet or something? (sorry haven't followed the Broadcom story closely).

Please point to a proper 5.3.1.3 version so I can take another stub at it (assuming I'm allowed access to the machine :lol: ).
Hi mavrothal

The firmware is there - it's now in /lib/firmware/b43 - Barry took the decision to stop putting compressed firmware into /lib/modules/all-firmware and instead ship with all the firmware already uncompressed into /lib/firmware.

If udev is still expecting the compressed firmware then that would need to be changed OR Barry would have to revert to the previous method in woof.....

At least that's how I understand matters - I could easily be wrong ;-)

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rodin.s

5.3.1.3 does not boot.

#147 Post by rodin.s »

Slacko 5.3.3-alpha3 refuses to boot on my AMD Athlon (2GHz). It just hangs after announcing initrd.

I have the same problem. Alfa-2 boots and works OK. (Intel Celeron 900MHz).

mavrothal

#148 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote: The firmware is there - it's now in /lib/firmware/b43 - Barry took the decision to stop putting compressed firmware into /lib/modules/all-firmware and instead ship with all the firmware already uncompressed into /lib/firmware.
Hmm..., b43 is the only common firmware between /lib/firmware and /lib/modules/all-firmware. How come?
Is the /lib/firmware version for this kernel? and if it is does the kernel "knows" it? (Mick?)

In any case, this firmware is not working in my iMac.
"ls -l /dev/.udev/firmware-missing/" says

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 68 2012-01-23 19:53 b43-open\x2fucode16_mimo.fw -> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.0/0000:04:00.0/ssb0:0/firmware/ssb0:0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 68 2012-01-23 19:53 b43\x2fn0initvals16.fw -> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.0/0000:04:00.0/ssb0:0/firmware/ssb0:0
and indeed initvals16.fw is not present in /lib/firmware/b43. Though ucode16_mimo.fw, is.

peebee, does your wifi works after you modprobe b43?
Is there anything in /dev/.udev/firmware-missing/ after you modprobe b43?
What about the output of the "for x in $(udevadm trigger --dry-run --verbose); do udevadm info --query=all --path=$x; done" command mentioned before?

peebee

#149 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:peebee, does your wifi works after you modprobe b43?
What about the output of the "for x in $(udevadm trigger --dry-run --verbose); do udevadm info --query=all --path=$x; done" command mentioned before?
Hi mavrothal

My b43 is version 4311 and uses the "13" series of the firmware.

It works perfectly after the modprobe b43 is done and dmesg shows that the firmware is loaded.

I believe(?) the firmware is not kernel dependent and is the same in all puppies - it is firmware that is loaded into the b43 so no reason why it should be kernel dependent?

I have no /dev/.udev/firmware-missing file or directory

Sorry missed that request - I've tried to run the command but the output is so verbose it overflows the uxrvt buffer - how can I capture the output to a file???

Cheers
peebee

mavrothal

#150 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote:
I believe(?) the firmware is not kernel dependent and is the same in all puppies - it is firmware that is loaded into the b43 so no reason why it should be kernel dependent?
I believe th slacko driver is using the V4 firmware.
Boy, Broadcom is a pain! As I understand it you must extract the linux firmware from your actual chip or the broadcom proprietary driver!
Sorry missed that request - I've tried to run the command but the output is so verbose it overflows the uxrvt buffer - how can I capture the output to a file???

for x in $(udevadm trigger --dry-run --verbose); do udevadm info --query=all --path=$x; done > /root/udef_info.before     # or .after
will generate the udef_info.before (or .after) file in home.

pemasu

#151 Post by pemasu »

I checked the wcpufreq in LHP 64 which uses 3.0.4 kernel. Tazoc has fixed the script simply with "||" the two location choices of drivers. Here is fixed wcpufreq pet. There is still one bug in script. The script does not rule out non needed drivers where there is choosable dropdown box for performance, powersave...etc.
Attachments
wcpufreq-0.8-k3.x.pet
(38.76 KiB) Downloaded 327 times

smokey01

#152 Post by smokey01 »

Whoops wrong area.
Last edited by smokey01 on Mon 23 Jan 2012, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#153 Post by pemasu »

Smokey01. Thanks for info, but...maybe wrong thread. I copy your post and repost it to the Exprimo thread.

01micko

#154 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote:
peebee wrote: The firmware is there - it's now in /lib/firmware/b43 - Barry took the decision to stop putting compressed firmware into /lib/modules/all-firmware and instead ship with all the firmware already uncompressed into /lib/firmware.
Hmm..., b43 is the only common firmware between /lib/firmware and /lib/modules/all-firmware. How come?
Is the /lib/firmware version for this kernel? and if it is does the kernel "knows" it? (Mick?)

In any case, this firmware is not working in my iMac.
"ls -l /dev/.udev/firmware-missing/" says

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 68 2012-01-23 19:53 b43-open\x2fucode16_mimo.fw -> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.0/0000:04:00.0/ssb0:0/firmware/ssb0:0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 68 2012-01-23 19:53 b43\x2fn0initvals16.fw -> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:15.0/0000:04:00.0/ssb0:0/firmware/ssb0:0
and indeed initvals16.fw is not present in /lib/firmware/b43. Though ucode16_mimo.fw, is.

peebee, does your wifi works after you modprobe b43?
The Broadcom firmware is proprietary and therefore independent of kernel version. I'd say mavrothal that your issue is slightly different to peebee's with the ucode16_mimo.fw not loading. Perhaps too that the firmware is expected to be compressed???

The initvals16.fw looks like some weird mac dependency for b43, and I can't find it! You may be able to find it and extract it on your OSX system. If you get that to load then maybe ucode16_mimo.fw will load with it? :?

I have attached the compressed firmware which works with wuxiandianzi's lupu variant with k3.1.8 .. includes b43.tar.gz and b43legacy.tar.gz
Attachments
b43-compressed-1.pet
(134.88 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mavrothal

#155 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:
The Broadcom firmware is proprietary and therefore independent of kernel version. I'd say mavrothal that your issue is slightly different to peebee's with the ucode16_mimo.fw not loading. Perhaps too that the firmware is expected to be compressed???

The initvals16.fw looks like some weird mac dependency for b43, and I can't find it! You may be able to find it and extract it on your OSX system. If you get that to load then maybe ucode16_mimo.fw will load with it? :?

I have attached the compressed firmware which works with wuxiandianzi's lupu variant with k3.1.8 .. includes b43.tar.gz and b43legacy.tar.gz
Did I say this is a pain?...
The pet does not work compressed or extracted.
I compiled b43-fwcutter and extracted the firmware from broadcom-wl-5.100.138 and now is telling me the firmware is too new :shock: and ifconfig still gives me "ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not supported"
I think I'll stay with puppies running in the VM in the Mac (at least for today :D )

Keef

#156 Post by Keef »

Tried current version on a Compaq Armada M700
P3 450 with 320mb RAM. Will not boot. First tried a manual frugal install (ISO checksum was fine, before anyone asks..), then downloaded again and burnt a CD, but no joy. Kernel and initrd are found, but then it hangs with just a flashing cursor, no error messages.
Previous version booted ok.
Tried the CD on the desktop PC - ECS 755-A motherboard (Socket 754) with a Mobile Athlon XP-M 2800 CPU and a GeForce FX5200 graphics card. Got to desktop ok, but the crappy Goodmans LD1930W monitor (its really a telly) is hopeless at its supposed native resolution of 1440×900 - very flickery and fuzzy (that's with XP as well), and is only usable at 1024x768. Anyway, got to desktop, and menu items were all blank. Did ctrl+alt+backspace to exit X and run xorgwizard to change the resolution. Text was wider than the screen, but managed to run it. Couldn't get back to a desktop with Xorg. Tried Xvesa, but the desktop was black with just a hint of taskbar and no mouse - had to reboot. I don't use this PC for Puppy much, but wanted to check the CD was ok.

01micko

#157 Post by 01micko »

Thanks for testing Keef,

k3.1.10 (BFS patched) seems UTS on old gear. I tried my Athlon but I think the mobo is kaput as I can't boot anything! I'll give it a good clean and see what happens. If you get time it would be interesting to see how k3.1.9 slacko-5.3.1.2-SCSI.iso works on your kit. James C reported success on his PIII 766Mhz coppermine and his Athlon machines. It doesn't have the BFS patch which I think is what screwed up k3.1.10.
http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/slacko/ ... 2-SCSI.iso
8058773fcdce248d3958feb8a4e60cb8
Note is has unfixed bugs but is mostly working ok.

Mavrothal,
My wifes macbook uses brmsmac driver.. I wonder if yours would work with it? You could unload b43 (no, it didn't load did it?) and try it. Wifey's was loaded ootb though, or maybe I'll compile wl.

ha! I know I said I'll revert to k2.6.39.4 but this b43 crap is getting the better of me! Might try again with k3.1.9, or recompile 3.1.10 W/O BFS. I'd try 3.2.1 but it fails to compile against aufs., patches ok but get a make error.
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 23 Jan 2012, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#158 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:

for x in $(udevadm trigger --dry-run --verbose); do udevadm info --query=all --path=$x; done > /root/udef_info.before     # or .after
will generate the udef_info.before (or .after) file in home.
Hi mavrothal

Here are the requested files...remove the .gz

Thanks
peebee
Attachments
udef_info.after.gz
(163.1 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
udef_info.before.gz
(161.46 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

01micko

#159 Post by 01micko »

Just for the record, i got my Athlon going, 5.3..1.2 is fine, 5.3.1.3 no go. Smae as other Athlon users' reports, hangs at blinking cursor.

sszindian

#160 Post by sszindian »

Hmmm... got this new pretty little pink box that pops up (first thing on the desktop) that says... ERROR: Your module doesn't work. Run "sensors-detect"

I did what it asked but no new modules were found for it to config. ?

Also got this with the last two versions of EXPRIMO.

Never seen this turkey before???

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]