SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#101 Post by Lobster »

I helped get Saluki going but it is mostly Jemimah's work.
One day we both might be able to use woof2 :wink:

Saluki is emerging into something unique
as Jemimah develops her unique style
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Saluki

You did good, it is the Puppy way . . .

Hope your influence continues.
Maybe some new 'SolidPup 2' will be a derivative of the completed Saluki . . . who knows :)

Fare thee Well
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Tman

#102 Post by Tman »

You're welcome and thank you guys for the good luck.
Lobster wrote: One day we both might be able to use woof2 :wink:
Yes, I haven't mastered woof2 yet; I have only used woof (1) so far.
Some may be thinking something along the lines of :? and :roll:. What can I say? Sorry, the tutorial will have to wait.

Tman

#103 Post by Tman »

Recently, I discovered that after the last time I modified my Firefox packages, Flash-chess would no longer run with it, whereas it would run fine in Seamonkey.
So I had to rethink how to package it differently while still trying to keep Firefox compatible with many versions of Puppy. The changes I have made can be found -> here and the pets and sfs can be found in the first page of the same thread.

Also my latest Firefox pet can also be downloaded with GetPackage.
It worked for me in Dpup, Lucid, Slacko and Wary/Racy and should work in other versions of Puppy as long as they don't have any other missing dependencies.

tlchost

#104 Post by tlchost »

Tman wrote: should work in other versions of Puppy as long as they don't have any other missing dependencies.
Fluppy 013 on bootable USB .... FF can not play videos on You Tube....

Thom

Tman

#105 Post by Tman »

tlchost wrote: Fluppy 013 on bootable USB .... FF can not play videos on You Tube....

Thom
If I remember correctly, newer versions of Firefox requires a newer flashplayer-plugin. A pet is available -> here
Also, if you want a flashplayer downloader script, Shinobar's version is good. The thread for it is ->here

Tman

#106 Post by Tman »

I have made a custom search html file that combines a google search with the well-minded puppy search. I find it also loads faster than using Firefox's about:home as well as Google's home page. And if you click on the logo, it takes you to the murga forum.

Edit: I have removed the original tar.gz file and replaced it with a pet that installs it into /root/my-documents. The html file has been further cut-down.
Attachments
custom_search.png
(67.79 KiB) Downloaded 1112 times
Last edited by Tman on Mon 05 Mar 2012, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

sheldonisaac

Re: SolidPup 5.1.1 FINAL

#107 Post by sheldonisaac »

Downloaded to other computer:

ASUS P5A from about 1998
ISA SB16 sound card
2 PATA HDDs on primary IDE
2 optical drives on secondary IDE

So far only classic 214X boots without a very long delay after GRUB says it's loading the vmlinuz and the initrd.gz

Like some other Puppys I've tried, this SolidPup has the long delay.

I searched on line, and some people mention the
ata3:00:qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
ata3:00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x5)
as possibly related?
Those lines occur 3 times in dmesg, and same for ata3.01

Code: Select all

title Solid
root (hd1,8)
kernel /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd.gx
I hope someone can help.

Thank you.

Tman

#108 Post by Tman »

Shouldn't the last part of your code be initrd.gz? or was that a typo?

Also, Have you tried using the grub4dos config tool to automatically detect and configure your pups?
I have mine frugally installed in /mnt/home/solid511. The following is one of my grub4dos codes:

title SolidPup 5.1.1 - Normal Mode
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /solid511/initrd.gz
  kernel /solid511/vmlinuz   psubdir=solid511 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /solid511/initrd.gz
Grub4Dos, sets the code differently for different computers, but once you have it automatically detect your Operating Systems, you should be able to figure the rest out by looking the the menu.lst file
But keep a backup of your old bootconfig file just in case.

sheldonisaac

Solid on ASUS P5A

#109 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:Shouldn't the last part of your code be initrd.gz? or was that a typo?
Yes, Tman, it was a typo.
Also, Have you tried using the grub4dos config tool to automatically detect and configure your pups?
Not yet, but thank you, I hope to do that soon.
I have mine frugally installed in /mnt/home/solid511. The following is one of my grub4dos codes:

Grub4Dos, sets the code differently for different computers, but once you have it automatically detect your Operating Systems, you should be able to figure the rest out by looking the the menu.lst file
But keep a backup of your old bootconfig file just in case.
Many thanks for such a prompt reply - I appreciate it.
Thus far I'd just added a Solid stanza(?) to the existing menu.lst, in /mnt/sdb6/boot/grub/

Tman

Re: Solid on ASUS P5A

#110 Post by Tman »

sheldonisaac wrote: Thus far I'd just added a Solid stanza(?) to the existing menu.lst, in /mnt/sdb6/boot/grub/
I am not all too familiar with grub, as the grub4dos config tool that comes standard in many pups has done what I needed it to do.
I always install grub4dos to the mbr on the first partition of my first hard-drive.
Grub4dos uses a menu.lst file as well, which makes it easy to confuse the two.

A quick google search led me to some grub menu.lst samples:
How to edit Grub menu.lst

Jasper

#111 Post by Jasper »

Hi Tman,

You wrote:

Am I correct in thinking the "ignore" statements are to speed bootup and that they are not specific to SolidPup (I'm using Slacko)?

My regards

sheldonisaac

#112 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote: Thus far I'd just added a Solid stanza(?) to the existing menu.lst, in /mnt/sdb6/boot/grub/
I am not all too familiar with grub, as the grub4dos config tool that comes standard in many pups has done what I needed it to do.
I always install grub4dos to the mbr on the first partition of my first hard-drive.
Grub4dos uses a menu.lst file as well, which makes it easy to confuse the two.

A quick google search led me to some grub menu.lst samples:
How to edit Grub menu.lst
Thanks, Tman.

I managed to get grub4dos working (had tried it some time ago) , and it
can boot Solid , per your advice above, from /mnt/sdb9/solid511

But it doesn't help with the long delay.

Tman

#113 Post by Tman »

Jasper wrote: Am I correct in thinking the "ignore" statements are to speed bootup and that they are not specific to SolidPup (I'm using Slacko)?

My regards
Hi Jasper,

No the grub4dos config settings are not specific to SolidPup. When I want to add another frugal-pup entry, I just copy the previous entry and only change the title and the foldername. With the find option, it searches all of your partitions, so frugal installs can be scattered over different drives and it will still find them. As I understand it, the --ignore option bypasses checking for pups on floppies or cd's.

That is just how the grub4dos config tool sets it up on this P4 test computer. But it sets it up a bit differently on my AMD dual-core.

I am guessing that specifying the drive ( hd 0,0 ..or whatever) and the name of the root (home) partition (sda1 ..or whatever) might make it a tad faster, cause it doesn't have to 'find' them.

Tman

#114 Post by Tman »

sheldonisaac wrote: I managed to get grub4dos working (had tried it some time ago) , and it

Maybe ttuuxxx has done some hacking to his initrd file in 2.14X or perhaps he has some optimized code in his bootconfigurations.

If you want to find out, I suggest asking him. I guess I cannot help you with the long delay. Please let the rest of us know if you find out, or better yet, let Barry know so that he can upload a fix to woof (if applicable).

sheldonisaac

#115 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote: I managed to get grub4dos working (had tried it some time ago) , and it

Maybe ttuuxxx has done some hacking to his initrd file in 2.14X or perhaps he has some optimized code in his bootconfigurations.

If you want to find out, I suggest asking him.
I asked in the 214X thread - no response. Should I have PMed ttuuxxx?
I guess I cannot help you with the long delay. Please let the rest of us know if you find out, or better yet, let Barry know so that he can upload a fix to woof (if applicable).
I took out the Creative CT2950 ISA sound card, which has an IDE port.

Then SolidPup booted without the very long delay.

Tman

#116 Post by Tman »

sheldonissac,

So it appears the problem is that their is no supported driver for your soundcard. Thanks for your report.
[url=http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/custom_search_html-1.1.pet]Custom Puppy Linux search page[/url]

Pelo

solid pup

#117 Post by Pelo »

eh, the house is not finished ! je suis fran

Tman

#118 Post by Tman »

Pelo,

Did the mouse work for you before you changed the cursor theme with "pcur"? If so, maybe try a different mouse-icon theme and see what happens.

If that is not the problem, all I can suggest to you is 3 things:
- check the MD5-checksum to make sure you got a good download
- try a different usb-port ( if your mouse uses one )
- try a different mouse

If you burn to disc, I recommend using a re-writable cd or a re-writable-DvD. It saved me lots of money in the long run.
Or if you learn how to create a manual frugal install, you can get all of the needed files from the ISO and do not need to burn to disc at all.

Beyond this, I cannot help you with your mouse problems and I have decided not to spend my time developing for a while...a long while.

greengeek

#119 Post by greengeek »

Nice work Tman. I am using TINT2 on a 2Ghz Toshiba TE2100 512Mb laptop and it's great! Love the periodic table too.

Only problem so far is the Flash plugin doesn't get detected by Opera 11.62 which I downloaded via your "Internet Apps", so not working with youtube vids. (I tried placing various Libflashplayer.so versions in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /opt/opera/lib/opera/plugins folders, including the "Internet Apps" version you have available, but no joy). Not a biggy though, as I also downloaded Seamonkey to handle the Youtube stuff.

Actually, Opera is running really fast - I will be using it as my main browser as it has always been a favorite of mine and it is just so quick and easy on the eye. Waaaaay quicker than Seamonkey or Firefox.

Sorry to see you've moved on to other projects, but hey, thanks for this little gem. It's a honey. (As is Saluki, on the newer gear...). All the best with whatever you're doing next.

Tman

#120 Post by Tman »

thanks greengeek!

I'm puzzled as to why flashplayer is not working with Opera. I will probably have to look into it, for knowledge's sake. But that will have to wait for the weekend, when I have more time for tinkering with Puppy.