Understanding mounts/memory/RAM & filesystems/_save file

Booting, installing, newbie
gcmartin

Drag and Drop files to a CD

#41 Post by gcmartin »

@noryb009 Thanks for your reply.

I was aware of that approach. But, I was hoping that there is a method I could tell the user "to drag and drop via a Filemanager" that I may have overlooked.
If I understand correctly by your response, there is no way to do this in Linux via a filemanager (like is done in Microsoft).

Thanks

Johnny Pest

Skipping the Save file for one session

#42 Post by Johnny Pest »

Hi,

I have been running Puppy for a while now, and I set it up the way i want to.

I was wondering if it is possible to startup with the save file loaded, but when i want to shutdown, i skip saving to the save file.

Thank you,

John

Bruce B

Re: Skipping the Save file for one session

#43 Post by Bruce B »

Johnny Pest wrote:Hi,

I have been running Puppy for a while now, and I set it up the way i want to.

I was wondering if it is possible to startup with the save file loaded, but when i want to shutdown, i skip saving to the save file.

Thank you,

John
If it is on a USB stick this should be very easy.

Johnny Pest

Re: Skipping the Save file for one session

#44 Post by Johnny Pest »

Bruce B wrote:
If it is on a USB stick this should be very easy.
Hi Bruce,

I'm running live from a usb and the save file is in the same drive. Is there a command to do that?

Do you think remastering would a good idea?

Thanks,

johnny pest

rjbrewer

#45 Post by rjbrewer »

Before shutting down, go to /etc/rcd/pupstate.
Change Pupmode to 5.
That will stop the save just for that session.
Also go to puppy event manager and set save session to 0
so it doesn't save at 30 minute mark of the session.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Sylvander

#46 Post by Sylvander »

1. See this post of mine on the topic of choosing when/if/not to save during the session and at shut-down.

2. In particular:
To be given the choice at shutdown "to save or not to save".
File to be edited is: /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown
OR...

3. Lupu-528.004 has had natively included within it, a simple method that when switched on gives the user a choice "to save or not to save" at shut-down.
It's explained by rerwin in a post in the Lupu thread.
i.e. See this post...
Where he says:
"Allows user to choose to be asked whether to save during shutdown, by setting "ask" in the /etc/shutdown_save_mode file."

Johnny Pest

#47 Post by Johnny Pest »

Thank you!

That helped a lot

bakekoq

ASK

#48 Post by bakekoq »

Hello, I'm a newbie here.
I lookup with my mouse to one icon on the bottom right (it's green multi bar horizontal). I look the message is:
"504M personal storage, free space = 408M. Click for Partview and Version info"

Can U help me for explaining about this? My Ram is 2GB and it's detected in bios. so, why does this free space + personal storage only cover 1 GB? do I miss something here?

RetroTechGuy

Re: ASK

#49 Post by RetroTechGuy »

bakekoq wrote:Hello, I'm a newbie here.
I lookup with my mouse to one icon on the bottom right (it's green multi bar horizontal). I look the message is:
"504M personal storage, free space = 408M. Click for Partview and Version info"

Can U help me for explaining about this? My Ram is 2GB and it's detected in bios. so, why does this free space + personal storage only cover 1 GB? do I miss something here?
When you created a frugal install, you saved a workspace file (in your case, it appears 512MB) which sits on your hard disk.

That report is the size of the save file, and available space for saved files.

Of course, Puppy can also access all of the disk space, and files saved there are available to any other OS you may have.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

bakekoq

#50 Post by bakekoq »

owh I see..
btw, is it really safe for me if my free space becoming 39M? I think I really used up the space of saved files. hmm.. btw, is it really giving any effect for my puppy?

RetroTechGuy

#51 Post by RetroTechGuy »

bakekoq wrote:owh I see..
btw, is it really safe for me if my free space becoming 39M? I think I really used up the space of saved files. hmm.. btw, is it really giving any effect for my puppy?
You will run out of file storage space.

Open the little house in the upper corner ("home" which is actually /root/)

Click the arrow up (this takes you to "/")

Click on the folder "mnt"

Drag the "home" folder icon to your desktop (it won't actually move it, but make a copy). This will give you a shortcut to your hard disk on your Puppy desktop.

That "home" folder (not to be confused with the house in the corner) is your hard disk, where your Lupusave file lives. If you have Windows installed, you will also see your Windows folders.

If you make a folder there, and store your stuff, it won't fill up your Lupusave -- and it will be accessible to Windows (or whatever other OS you might have).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

tannaroo

#52 Post by tannaroo »

Hi,

I'm a newbie. I created a live multi-session CD for Precise Puppy 5.5 which works a treat.

I tried to install a program (Teamviewer) using another thread but I need to modify one of the files (as a text editor). However, when i try to modify the file, it says read write error. is this because I am using a live multi-session CD and it is mounted?

How can i make adjustments to the file if I am using a live multi-session CD?

Thanks

Jasper

#53 Post by Jasper »

Hi tannaroo,

Do not mount your CD manually (its contents are booted into RAM).

If any of your drives is mounted (especially any CD drive usually the first is labelled sr0 with any second CD drive labelled sr1) it will have a small red x in the top right hand corner of its desktop drive icon - then you can click the red x to unmount it.

With the CD unmounted try making your teamviewer change(s). If that works you can (if you wish) save the changes to your CD on Shutdown/Reboot (or even immediately using the desktop save icon and then ignore any spurious error message if that happens on reboot).

My regards

tannaroo

#54 Post by tannaroo »

thanks jasper

when i unmount it though, the CD/tray pops out of the drive, so i cant access the file.

and everytime i try to open the file on the CD that needs changing, the CD mounts (i.e. little red cross).

or there another way to access the file by preventing the Cd to mount?

Note: the file that needs changing is on the live CD which saves my session

Jasper

#55 Post by Jasper »

Hi tanneroo,

Just give the CD drive tray a gentle push to close it. (You could even take the CD out - but obviously you would need it in (though not mounted) before you can save back to it).

Just access the files you want to change (the desktop file icon is probably in the top left corner of your screen).

My regards

tannaroo

#56 Post by tannaroo »

sorry jasper - i'm just not following.

if i take the CD out then mnt/sr0 is blank (since the files that i need to change are on the CD0.

if the CD is in then mnt/sr0 has all of the files.

somehow, i need to unmount sr0 but still access/change the files on sr0 - is this possible?

Jasper

#57 Post by Jasper »

Hi tanneroo,

To gain understanding - remove the CD - everthing is in RAM - you can make whatever changes you want to and you can do anything and everything that you could do if your OS were on your Hard Drive (instead of loaded into RAM from your CD).

Now reread my earlier posts and come back if you need to.

My regarfs

tannaroo

#58 Post by tannaroo »

Thanks - I got it.

I made the changes via usb/bin/teamviewer (which is RAM)

and then can save it to CD (mnt/sr0/usr/bin/teamviewer).

after all that, my program teamviewer doesnt work so there is something else wrong which i need to investigate

`f00

#59 Post by `f00 »

hi tannaroo :D - not real sure about precise 5.5, but in general (multisession)..

..) 'saving' directly to your mounted disc via a filemanager doesn't work that simply if at all - please to read again what Jasper went over previously. If you're really interested in what goes on, observe what happens in the console when you try the in-session save2dvd shortcut on the desktop (tip: do not have sr0 mounted ;) ).

a) savedirs - the date-timed (according to when you saved) dirs have all your changes made when you saved session. You can examine them individually (with the disc mounted) and copy stuff to your working session (in RAM). They are read only, thus non-editable in their place in the savedir .. the copy in RAM you can edit. If the file already shows in your working session, you may need to overwrite what's there or change the permissions/properties.

b) deleting - in many cases this is accomplished by a 'whiteout'. File or dir (name) gets a special .wh.. prefix which covers over the deleted item in the layering system .. normally neither you nor the running file manager can 'see' these because that's how it works. It can be a real pitb sometimes, like if/when you need to copy an item with the same name in the same path it was deleted from. No can do -> error message results, :oops:

c) /initrd/pup_ro* and rw - now for some fun without mounting the disc! ro is short for read only, rw for read write .. only one rw (the current session changes) but * is a number with ro2 being the main pup sfs and other variations on numbering depending on extra sfs files and so on (ro1 is a merge of all your savedirs, if I recall correctly). These are all layered to plan, ro2 being the base, then extra sfs, then ro1 (oldest to most recent savedirs merged) and finally rw on top .. this is what you and the file manager 'see' normally (does b) make sense now :lol: ?)

d) /.badfolders - At bootsplash, if you've ever done the "puppy pfix=*" with * being how many savedirs you wish to stop from being loaded (1 is most recent to however many), then you'll have this file. Not a bad idea to try it on a 'throwaway' saved session just to see what it is even if you don't need it. It can be a way out of having a troublesome savedir in the merge. If you save your current session with that .badfolders file in place it will show up at next boot with the date-timed savedir "marked as bad" in the load sequence.

hope that helps and good luck

Winescape

Please help...Unable to unmount USB flash drive

#60 Post by Winescape »

I hope this is the correct place to post this request.

I am running Wary Puppy from a USB flash drive plugged into my HP 510 laptop (which has a crashed Win XP system installed). Wary Puppy is to be the rescuer, and eventually may be the main OS...I like it a lot.

The first time I used Wary, I was able to mount and dismount all drives shown, and copy some key Win XP files...thanks for this.

However, on the second use, I am unable to dismount the Wary USB drive.

When I try to unmount, the error message I receive is "/dev/sdb1 mounted as /initrd/mnt/dev_save is in use by Puppy. You cannot unmount it."

Yikes. I tried Google, but am not clear about how to proceed. I would appreciate some steps to take so that I can unmount this USB and turn off the laptop without corrupting the Wary Puppy.

All help welcome. Thanks.