Not puppy-specific but "bugs" me

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
TheProphet

Not puppy-specific but "bugs" me

#1 Post by TheProphet »

So I've got this program installed in two formats, one the linux binary WordFlashReader and the other the python source for it, Dictator 1.9.7 both of which haven't seen any development for the past four years.

It's an RSVP reader Rapid Serial Visual Presenter.
The only problem I have using it is that it doesn't have an auto-repeat function, other than that it's brilliant.

If one would care to take on the project, it's at sourceforge.net

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wordflashreader/

Open source and cross platform. There should be, except I have exactly no idea how to code in Python and very little clue about coding in general, a "while" loop, perhaps commented out or just waiting for somebody to write it in, something on the lines of if a kill key isn't pressed it goes on until your hard drive wears out or you reboot the computer.

Just something along those lines. A "Preferences" option for how many times in a row to present the text might be an added goody.

It's an Edutainment toy, really, but any subject where repetition is a key part of learning would be enhanced by it.

I've a moderately fast processor and the CPU meter gives me, when I start it from the .py source, 100% load for about 2 seconds and then down to 5%, with 3% being used to run Puppy. Running it from the .bin executable gives me an even lower CPU load reading.
That's excellent for how much eye-candy it gives.

If it's a simple fix, would somebody try it out, then re-publish it? Just some kind of auto-repeat.
He who skydive without parachute, jumps to own conclusion.