Give Puppy Package Manager a makeover

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Pete22

Give Puppy Package Manager a makeover

#1 Post by Pete22 »

Hello my very creative Cutting Edge Friends:

I am not geeky enough do this but I am hoping one of you folks will give this a try. I think it would be a big step forward for Puppy Linux and all his litter mates. :wink:

Get the lhp sys-info pet and combine it with Puppy Package Manager on the back end to tell the Puppy Package Manager what is currently installed each time Puppy Package Manager is opened. Then on the front end let Puppy Package manager tell the user what kind of puppy they have and highlight the packages the user could download that would work best on their puppy.

Packages already installed would be in a gray color so users don't accidentally download it again. However, they could still do it, if there was a need.

It would be nice if the Puppy Package Manager would also highlight in red any packages that the current puppy needs but has not installed. like libraries and stuff.

Perhaps it could also show any installed orphan items that should be removed.

This would go a long way to helping the everyday user who is not used to having with deal with these issues.

Is any of this even a possibility, or am I completely out to lunch.

Pete

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

It would be nice if the Puppy Package Manager would also highlight in red any packages that the current puppy needs

It would be nice if PPM showed all missing packages, period.

Here's a common scenario:
* Program won't launch.
* PPM shows nothing missing.
* Launch program from terminal, then it shows what's missing.

harii4

#3 Post by harii4 »

The more Features you add - the more bloated it gets. :(
look at pkgtools vs. synaptic :o
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.