Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smokey01

#601 Post by smokey01 »

Yes I know, I took a peek.

Good job.

jemimah

#602 Post by jemimah »

aarf wrote:http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/luki-00 ... .iso.delta (6.3MB)
(yes smokey this is a online generated delta. thank you.)
Thank you!

magerlab

#603 Post by magerlab »

I use saluki just for testing and load it once in 2 or 3 days. I wrote before that I added russian keyboard layout and see that flags in the panel change. Russian layout works fine but instead of us layout i have something like russian phonetic:) layout

yr1945

testing pui2

#604 Post by yr1945 »

5 year old toshiba laptop with 2 gigs of ram...

installed Saluki006 about 4 times to test pui2 (including both Frugal and Full options)... do not use usb, yet

pui2 worked quite well for me... no problems were experienced with either pui2 or the classic installer option... the process was very straightforward...

good job...

aarf

#605 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:
aarf wrote:http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/luki-00 ... .iso.delta (6.3MB)
(yes smokey this is a online generated delta. thank you.)
Thank you!
nearly there jemimah. to free your time and skills for other things and directions. Not to mention bandwidth, global warming . . . and a few other things . . .lol.

can anyone test this
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/ ... .sfs.delta
and advise please. if you have devx_luki_005.sfs already, only 415K to download. Not sure if devx will delta and dont have a collection to test on.

also available.
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/ ... .iso.delta (size 12M)
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/ ... .iso.delta (size 15M)
Last edited by aarf on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 23:20, edited 4 times in total.

jemimah

#606 Post by jemimah »

I know some people were having touchpad problems so I have compiled the latest synaptics driver. If you guys could test it and let me know if it's an improvement, that would be good.

Restart X after pet install.
Attachments
xf86-input-synaptics-1.5.0-i486.pet
(37.95 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

technosaurus

#607 Post by technosaurus »

Google screwed up my access permissions on code.google.com. Having been left without a place to drop my pet packages, I decided to sign up for a dropbox account, but the web interface is slow and their linux package is 40Mb installed, or the others require nautilus. So I decided to grok out an uploader script that I can just drop a file on to send it to dropbox (or a directory for the entire contents) or add it to my "open with" directory in rox (I will leave xfce adaptation to devs that actually use it).

Anyways, its in the "useful developer tool" stage now - not all nicey-nice for for end users, but a useful tool for devs that needs a place/way to upload larger files.

Note: The GUI progress meter sometimes "sticks" for a bit, but its still better than just a spinning hourglass ... I guess.
Attachments
drop.tar.gz
Not as nice as the proprietary version but 4000 times smaller
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

alec78

Delta File

#608 Post by alec78 »

Hi All,

@aarf
I've downloaded your 005___006 delta file and used it to make an 006 iso image.
All went as it should and 006 booted up.
Thank you for your efforts, it helps me eek out my 1GB monthly download allowance.
Thanks again.
Cheers

mavrothal

#609 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:I know some people were having touchpad problems so I have compiled the latest synaptics driver. If you guys could test it and let me know if it's an improvement, that would be good.

Restart X after pet install.
Not in the XO-1.5 case :(
Back to the Ubuntu lucid version.

PS: Just in case, the attached logs show that the driver fails to fallback to the "traditional" mouse driver when synaptics fails
Attachments
xorg_logs.tar.gz
(7.03 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Last edited by mavrothal on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

pemasu

#610 Post by pemasu »

Jemimah. Sorry. Touchpad is still a little drunk. Like little brain disorder called ataxia.
I have tried to fiddle with synclient settings, but I just dont find the solution. Touchpad is not unusable, just uncomfortable, like playing badminton after 5 drinks. You almost hit, but not quite.

jemimah

#611 Post by jemimah »

So the relevant error message from mavrothol is

Code: Select all

[    54.859] (EE) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: Synaptics driver unable to detect protocol
This thread says the problem can be fixed by removing

Code: Select all

Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
from xorg.conf.

Mavrothol can you see if that is in your xorg.conf?

Pemasu, can I get an xorg.log from you as well?

pemasu

#612 Post by pemasu »

Jemimah. Ok. I will do that when I can boot Saluki next time. Using woof2 now in dpup, cant switch this evening.

aarf

Re: Delta File

#613 Post by aarf »

alec78 wrote:Hi All,

@aarf
I've downloaded your 005___006 delta file and used it to make an 006 iso image.
All went as it should and 006 booted up.
Thank you for your efforts, it helps me eek out my 1GB monthly download allowance.
Thanks again.
Cheers
glad to be of assistance.
yes
i know only to well how it is to have to think twice whether or not to download a file because of speed or bandwidth limitations.
more online tools coming soon.> > custom create your required saluki deltas., online md5sums at selected puppy sites..
still need testers because my speed currently varies between zero and non existent.

jemimah

#614 Post by jemimah »

Saluki-007 has been released.

New in 007:
updated xfdesktop and thunar
a bunch of new fonts
gtk theme engines and themes
xfce notification daemon
updated: pbootsound, PUI, syslinux
added: pupsaveconfig, pfind, xarchiver
installing pets no longer goes directly to the save layer - I'm not sure why this works for some kernels and not others
Enhanced Thunar Custom Actions - Thanks Geoffrey!
various bugfixes

The xorg headers accidentally got omitted from the devx again. Use the 006 devx or download the headers from the wary repo.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... -3-w5c.pet

Pete22

Luki 6

#615 Post by Pete22 »

I really lijke this puppy. I have not worked on a alpha puppy before so please bare with me if I did this wrong.

Maybe some of these issues have been addressed in 7.

Message to windows users tells them all a lot of geeky stuff that most of them don't need to know. Have the message welcome everyone to Puppy Linux and several other niceties. Then explain the best way to get puppy on their computer. Then tell them if they are willing to do it that way, they are free to do it now. Then to the others who want to install it in others ways, them give this message about these concerns.

Needs auto-mount by default. The mount program in use is not friendly. Preferences does not let me choose to see all devises on one pages. Most of the other preferences are too geeky for me to understand. I could not tell if it did anything or not. I did not notice the little icon in the task bar that shows each of the devises until much later. I do not know if it is part of the same program or not. We have much friendlier mount programs that show us exactly what’s happening.

I kept loosing site of my mouse cursor. I guess because it is small and black on blue. Sorry I have old eyes. I changed it to the blue premium because it was the biggest. Now its blue on blue. So changed picture. Psychedelic Orange is beautiful but hard on old eyes. I like the one with purple, orange and blue, the orange as an accent is very nice. Unfortunately, the blue premium cursor seems to fade in and out. Is it supposed to do that? I changed to the white one on this screen, its great. So is the Blue crystal cursor.

No desktop key on task bar. there is a thingee that tells where each window is on this workspace but nothing that let me see the desktop monetarily.

I also had trouble after I maximized a page, it only wanted to be full size or minimized after that. I would like the choice of having it go back to it normal size too.

I had a problem with the puppy package manager. I had worked with it for about an hour before I realized on the far right was a discription of each package. It appears that the collums cannot be adjusted and mine did no allow the discriptions to start until 10 inches from the left. That means that I would never have seen the [package discriptions if I had not maximized the whole page. Also some of the discriptions include “geekspeek

aarf

#616 Post by aarf »

Delta for 006 to 007 is size 11 M
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/ ... .iso.delta (*®* verified and certified to produce the real deal)
and
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/ ... .iso.delta ( 14M )
also
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/ ... .sfs.delta size 2.4 M but see notes about dexv on the front page of this thread
Last edited by aarf on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 08:22, edited 7 times in total.

jemimah

Re: Luki 6

#617 Post by jemimah »

Pete22 wrote:I really lijke this puppy. I have not worked on a alpha puppy before so please bare with me if I did this wrong.
Yep this is pretty much how it's done.
Pete22 wrote: Message to windows users tells them all a lot of geeky stuff that most of them don't need to know. Have the message welcome everyone to Puppy Linux and several other niceties. Then explain the best way to get puppy on their computer. Then tell them if they are willing to do it that way, they are free to do it now. Then to the others who want to install it in others ways, them give this message about these concerns.
I'm not entirely sure which message this is. The one that says "Welcome, woof, woof?" at the top?
Pete22 wrote: Needs auto-mount by default. The mount program in use is not friendly. Preferences does not let me choose to see all devises on one pages. Most of the other preferences are too geeky for me to understand. I could not tell if it did anything or not. I did not notice the little icon in the task bar that shows each of the devises until much later. I do not know if it is part of the same program or not. We have much friendlier mount programs that show us exactly what’s happening.
I agree, Pmount sucks. I'll probably replace it in 008.

Automouting is pretty dangerous on Puppy. First it gives windows users the idea that it's ok to not unmount, like it is on windows. If you do that in linux, you absolutely will lose data. Secondly, having the drives that you are not using unmounted prevents them from getting damaged, either by the user doing something dumb or by something going wrong with the software.
Pete22 wrote: I kept loosing site of my mouse cursor. I guess because it is small and black on blue. Sorry I have old eyes. I changed it to the blue premium because it was the biggest. Now its blue on blue. So changed picture. Psychedelic Orange is beautiful but hard on old eyes. I like the one with purple, orange and blue, the orange as an accent is very nice. Unfortunately, the blue premium cursor seems to fade in and out. Is it supposed to do that? I changed to the white one on this screen, its great. So is the Blue crystal cursor.
Yeah the big white one is the best for visibility. Maybe I'll have it the default. The premium cursor is supposed to be animated, but it is kind of annoying.
Pete22 wrote: No desktop key on task bar. there is a thingee that tells where each window is on this workspace but nothing that let me see the desktop monetarily.
You can add that in the panel preferences if you want. I'll replace the workspace switcher with the desktop shower for 008.
Pete22 wrote: I also had trouble after I maximized a page, it only wanted to be full size or minimized after that. I would like the choice of having it go back to it normal size too.
I'm not sure what the cause of this is.

Pete22 wrote: I had a problem with the puppy package manager. I had worked with it for about an hour before I realized on the far right was a discription of each package. It appears that the collums cannot be adjusted and mine did no allow the discriptions to start until 10 inches from the left. That means that I would never have seen the [package discriptions if I had not maximized the whole page. Also some of the discriptions include “geekspeek

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#618 Post by Lobster »

Automouting is pretty dangerous on Puppy. First it gives windows users the idea that it's ok to not unmount, like it is on windows. If you do that in linux, you absolutely will lose data. Secondly, having the drives that you are not using unmounted prevents them from getting damaged, either by the user doing something dumb or by something going wrong with the software.

First time I have heard an explanation of WHY we mount and unmount
That makes sense. Many thanks
Wiki updated . . . but will need more editing if anyone has the time?
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Saluki

Are Sneaky or Icyos about and able to do a video on this (or is it too early)?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Marv

sucessfull 006 to 007 update

#619 Post by Marv »

Updated my much modified 006 save file with the 007 iso files (frugal install to a CF card). Theme and Dropline Neu-blue icons all ok. Panel contents and settings intact. Dealt gracefully with Pfind and xarchiver I had installed from pets and kind of deliberately didn't strip out first. Wireless intact. Overwrote one background I had in the /usr/share/backgrounds directory and I had to reenter one line in the .xinitrc file. I pass the parameter vblank_mode=0 to xfwm4 there. Setting that environmental parameter makes the i915 driver play much better with glxgears. Haven't tried googleearth yet to see how the acceleration really is.

Somewhere along the line, installed galculator and stripped out what was left of Xcalc. Small and works well.

Pretty much resolved my fonts issue in Opera using solely Deja vu Sans for the font, turning on antialiasing and using RGB order but using no hinting. I use Deja vu Sans bold for the system font.

The more I use Saluki, the better I like it. Thunar has a couple of quirks but now has accepted the Neu-blue icon-theme throughout and the custom actions are well worth the admission. I symlinked inode-directory.png in /usr/share/icons/Neu-blue/48x48/mimetypes to the folder.png in the /usr/share/icons/Neu-blue/places. Either that survived the update or if you installed Neu-blue it is now correct in there. Anyway, it works. Thunar seems to be a bit clumsy about falling back if it doesn't find exactly what it wants in mimetypes.

I really think the drive management on the panel is adequate, especially since any mounted drives show up in the side panel in Thunar.

Thanks again for the splendid dog!
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

James C

#620 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of Saluki 007 on my main Linux box.Sound and internet connection working on initial boot.... needed to use xorgwizard to get desired 1440x900 resolution.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Saluki, version 007

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nouveau

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

Summary
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory 1033MB (164MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Wed 18 Jan 2012 12:14:23 AM CST
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter VIA8233 - VIA 8235
Ethernet controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
Multimedia audio controller VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
VGA compatible controller nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]

Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.11.0
Monitors
Monitor 0 1440x900 pixels

OpenGL
Vendor Mesa Project
Renderer Software Rasterizer
Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3
Direct Rendering Yes