Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Sep 2014, 00:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 41 of 250 [3742 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
smokey01

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2012, 03:33    Post subject:  

Yes I know, I took a peek.

Good job.

jemimah

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2012, 11:08    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/luki-005.iso___luki-006.iso.delta (6.3MB)
(yes smokey this is a online generated delta. thank you.)

Thank you!
magerlab

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2012, 12:28    Post subject:  

I use saluki just for testing and load it once in 2 or 3 days. I wrote before that I added russian keyboard layout and see that flags in the panel change. Russian layout works fine but instead of us layout i have something like russian phonetic:) layout
yr1945

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan 2012, 11:01    Post subject: testing pui2  

5 year old toshiba laptop with 2 gigs of ram...

installed Saluki006 about 4 times to test pui2 (including both Frugal and Full options)... do not use usb, yet

pui2 worked quite well for me... no problems were experienced with either pui2 or the classic installer option... the process was very straightforward...

good job...
aarf

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 11:43    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
aarf wrote:
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/luki-005.iso___luki-006.iso.delta (6.3MB)
(yes smokey this is a online generated delta. thank you.)

Thank you!

nearly there jemimah. to free your time and skills for other things and directions. Not to mention bandwidth, global warming . . . and a few other things . . .lol.

can anyone test this
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/devx_luki_005.sfs___devx_luki_006.sfs.delta
and advise please. if you have devx_luki_005.sfs already, only 415K to download. Not sure if devx will delta and dont have a collection to test on.

also available.
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/luki-004.iso___luki-006.iso.delta (size 12M)
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/luki-003.iso___luki-006.iso.delta (size 15M)

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>

Last edited by aarf on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 19:20; edited 4 times in total
jemimah

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 12:40    Post subject:  

I know some people were having touchpad problems so I have compiled the latest synaptics driver. If you guys could test it and let me know if it's an improvement, that would be good.

Restart X after pet install.
xf86-input-synaptics-1.5.0-i486.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  xf86-input-synaptics-1.5.0-i486.pet 
Filesize  37.95 KB 
Downloaded  111 Time(s) 
technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 13:26    Post subject:  

Google screwed up my access permissions on code.google.com. Having been left without a place to drop my pet packages, I decided to sign up for a dropbox account, but the web interface is slow and their linux package is 40Mb installed, or the others require nautilus. So I decided to grok out an uploader script that I can just drop a file on to send it to dropbox (or a directory for the entire contents) or add it to my "open with" directory in rox (I will leave xfce adaptation to devs that actually use it).

Anyways, its in the "useful developer tool" stage now - not all nicey-nice for for end users, but a useful tool for devs that needs a place/way to upload larger files.

Note: The GUI progress meter sometimes "sticks" for a bit, but its still better than just a spinning hourglass ... I guess.
drop.tar.gz
Description  Not as nice as the proprietary version but 4000 times smaller
gz

Download 
Filename  drop.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.03 KB 
Downloaded  129 Time(s) 

alec78

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 14:21    Post subject: Delta File  

Hi All,

@aarf
I've downloaded your 005___006 delta file and used it to make an 006 iso image.
All went as it should and 006 booted up.
Thank you for your efforts, it helps me eek out my 1GB monthly download allowance.
Thanks again.
Cheers
mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 14:33    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
I know some people were having touchpad problems so I have compiled the latest synaptics driver. If you guys could test it and let me know if it's an improvement, that would be good.

Restart X after pet install.

Not in the XO-1.5 case Sad
Back to the Ubuntu lucid version.

PS: Just in case, the attached logs show that the driver fails to fallback to the "traditional" mouse driver when synaptics fails
xorg_logs.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  xorg_logs.tar.gz 
Filesize  7.03 KB 
Downloaded  114 Time(s) 

Last edited by mavrothal on Tue 17 Jan 2012, 15:01; edited 1 time in total
pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 14:42    Post subject:  

Jemimah. Sorry. Touchpad is still a little drunk. Like little brain disorder called ataxia.
I have tried to fiddle with synclient settings, but I just dont find the solution. Touchpad is not unusable, just uncomfortable, like playing badminton after 5 drinks. You almost hit, but not quite.
jemimah

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 16:19    Post subject:  

So the relevant error message from mavrothol is

Code:
[    54.859] (EE) synaptics: Synaptics Mouse: Synaptics driver unable to detect protocol

This thread says the problem can be fixed by removing
Code:
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
from xorg.conf.

Mavrothol can you see if that is in your xorg.conf?

Pemasu, can I get an xorg.log from you as well?
pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 16:27    Post subject:  

Jemimah. Ok. I will do that when I can boot Saluki next time. Using woof2 now in dpup, cant switch this evening.
aarf

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 19:43    Post subject: Re: Delta File  

alec78 wrote:
Hi All,

@aarf
I've downloaded your 005___006 delta file and used it to make an 006 iso image.
All went as it should and 006 booted up.
Thank you for your efforts, it helps me eek out my 1GB monthly download allowance.
Thanks again.
Cheers

glad to be of assistance.
yes
i know only to well how it is to have to think twice whether or not to download a file because of speed or bandwidth limitations.
more online tools coming soon.> > custom create your required saluki deltas., online md5sums at selected puppy sites..
still need testers because my speed currently varies between zero and non existent.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
jemimah

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 22:03    Post subject:  

Saluki-007 has been released.

New in 007:
updated xfdesktop and thunar
a bunch of new fonts
gtk theme engines and themes
xfce notification daemon
updated: pbootsound, PUI, syslinux
added: pupsaveconfig, pfind, xarchiver
installing pets no longer goes directly to the save layer - I'm not sure why this works for some kernels and not others
Enhanced Thunar Custom Actions - Thanks Geoffrey!
various bugfixes

The xorg headers accidentally got omitted from the devx again. Use the 006 devx or download the headers from the wary repo.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-wary5/x_xorg76_mega_pkg_DEV-7.6-3-w5c.pet
Pete22

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 22:43    Post subject: Luki 6
Subject description: I see you posted 7 while I was working on six. GREAT.

I really lijke this puppy. I have not worked on a alpha puppy before so please bare with me if I did this wrong.

Maybe some of these issues have been addressed in 7.

Message to windows users tells them all a lot of geeky stuff that most of them don't need to know. Have the message welcome everyone to Puppy Linux and several other niceties. Then explain the best way to get puppy on their computer. Then tell them if they are willing to do it that way, they are free to do it now. Then to the others who want to install it in others ways, them give this message about these concerns.

Needs auto-mount by default. The mount program in use is not friendly. Preferences does not let me choose to see all devises on one pages. Most of the other preferences are too geeky for me to understand. I could not tell if it did anything or not. I did not notice the little icon in the task bar that shows each of the devises until much later. I do not know if it is part of the same program or not. We have much friendlier mount programs that show us exactly what’s happening.

I kept loosing site of my mouse cursor. I guess because it is small and black on blue. Sorry I have old eyes. I changed it to the blue premium because it was the biggest. Now its blue on blue. So changed picture. Psychedelic Orange is beautiful but hard on old eyes. I like the one with purple, orange and blue, the orange as an accent is very nice. Unfortunately, the blue premium cursor seems to fade in and out. Is it supposed to do that? I changed to the white one on this screen, its great. So is the Blue crystal cursor.

No desktop key on task bar. there is a thingee that tells where each window is on this workspace but nothing that let me see the desktop monetarily.

I also had trouble after I maximized a page, it only wanted to be full size or minimized after that. I would like the choice of having it go back to it normal size too.

I had a problem with the puppy package manager. I had worked with it for about an hour before I realized on the far right was a discription of each package. It appears that the collums cannot be adjusted and mine did no allow the discriptions to start until 10 inches from the left. That means that I would never have seen the [package discriptions if I had not maximized the whole page. Also some of the discriptions include “geekspeek” so I don’t know they do.

Get the lhp pet to combine with package manager on the back end and tell puppy what is currenty installed each time the puppy package manager is opened. Then on the front end let Puppy tell the user what kind of puppy they have and highlight the packages the user could download that would work on their puppy. It would be nice if puppy package manager would also highlight in red any packages that the current puppy needs but has not installed. like libraries and stuff.

xfce Panel Preferences - When I started I had no idea what a panel was.

I do not understand what the first three choices on the sound retroval are for. Why doesn't pcm have a check mark. and why are the some check marked and some not. I understand how to raise and lower the sound. If the person gets sound when they test it in step two, tell them they can exit. If not, try step three. On a side note the sound indicator on the task bar keeps popping up even when I don’t touch it or have any sound on. Now I cant get it to go away.

Sven hotkey configuration - It does not tell you how to use it. Do I just type the numbers? if so how does puppy know that I am not just using those numbers in a program?

Internet install was a breeze because I knew the name of my system and the password. Is there a way to help people who don’t know this info?

pupX set properties of X. What is X? How is that different than windows tweaks?

did this puppy automatically set up a firewall or not? I found a place and set one up, but I still don’t see a place where I can tell if it is on.

adobe flash player preferences: I would put update on the first page or on its own page near the front instead of on the advanced page.

Does this mean the user has to remember to update flash player occasionally. If so, could puppy somehow remind user to check for updates for this any other software n a regular schedule?

Does storage mean keeping cookies? or is this something else?

Two workspaces as a default is not a good idea for average window users. The task bar buttons are not self explanitory. The setting to allow the the mouse wheel to switch workspaces as a default is also an issue. If a user accidently hits one of these, they’ll believe that they lost all their work. They would be clueless of how to remedy the situation. On the other hand it's really easy for geeks to add more screens using the application listed on the control panel menu, as well as set the windows manager tweak to use the mouse wheel to switch workspaces.

Windows shortcuts and other tweaks that deal with workspaces: Could they all be hidden if puppy was only using one workspace? If more workspaces are added puppy could then automatically reveal all the tweaks and shortcuts to work with them.

I tried to download a seamoney that was not a suite but I got the mail, news, address book and the composer anyway. Is there a way to only get a browser? I just opened seamonkey and there is a home page for Sakuki. What a suprise since there was no browser installed.

It would be nice if there was a link to the Saluki discussion at the forum for more info.

I go to the forum and click on puppy projects and seamonkey closes. I finally got it open by right clicking and selecting open in a new tab. Had to do the same on all the pages at the forum today. If I have to press a button the browser closes too. Makes it hard to be in the forum.

tomarrow I will look at 7.

Pete
Page 41 of 250 [3742 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: