Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#561 Post by jemimah »

01micko wrote:Hi jemimah,
I just wonder if it's worth having all the standard puppy icons on the desktop since most of them don't work. I'm supposing you have some idea of what you are going to do and maybe you've mentioned in this thread somewhere (please excuse my laziness for not reading right through).
My plan is to put all the applications in a separate SFS. That way, you can decide whether or not it goes to RAM, change it out easily, etc.

If anyone wants to start work on such an SFS there's really no reason not to. If you name it adrv_luki_006.sfs it'll get booted automatically and files in it can overwrite ones in the main sfs. I haven't tested this a lot yet, but it should work.

I'm mainly focusing on core usability and stability at the moment. I intend to work on applications last.

I first really want to get Saluki to a point where it feels very comfortable to new Puppy users and addresses all the common usability complaints:
  • Unfamiliar desktop and file manager
    Crowded and confusing menus
    Slap-dash applications
    Dated look and feel

jemimah

#562 Post by jemimah »

peebee wrote:Hi jemimah

Pristine frugal install of luki006 on my HP550 laptop.

Loaded the pnethood pets and setup my wifi connection with Frisbee

Here's what I got after successfully connecting to my samba share when I clicked the "Show" button in pnethood....

Looks like something doesn't like directory names with spaces in - directory is called "My Documents" on my xp desktop

Regards
peebee
Well we're making progress. 8)
I'll fix it in the next release.

don570

#563 Post by don570 »

Good results. :lol:
Sound worked with aplay
and I could record with Bacon Recorder.

It installed properly on a rather difficult intel graphics chip.
IBM thinkcenter m52 .

Fluppy 012 will run but I couldn't get Fluppy 013 to run
on this machine.

Here's the video report.

Code: Select all

VIDEO REPORT: Saluki, version 006

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution:  Depth 24  Depth: "Display"

mavrothal

#564 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:Go to the Appearance settings - on the Fonts tab you can set the dpi.
Thank you.
Though I was actually wondering what were the changes that made /root/.Xresources xft settings irrelevant and how to globally change it from the CLI in XFCE.
I guess I was looking for

<property name="DPI" type="int" value="NNN"/>
in /root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml.
Maybe the "Set blobal font size" widget should also consider this. Though could be tricky to coordinate with .Xresources since they go the opposite way and screen resolutions vary. Some math is needed :D
Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 11 Jan 2012, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#565 Post by Sage »

My plan is to put all the applications in a separate SFS.
Hmmm! Not too sure about that. mick's approach is the more elegant. Freedom of choice and all that. The browser and email client are central to most subsequent deployment - get those right from the off and the sky's your oyster.

Speaking of browsers, Firefox is rapidly becoming a liability. Suggest concentrating on Opera and Midori with Chrome/Iron as soft options. Essential to get the FlashPlayer version correct, though. Still failing to achieve this with 006 and Opera 11.6.

Speaking of email clients, folks who try Claws like it (more than Sylpheed from which it branched, possibly?) but the big surprise is that those that bother to load up EudoraOSE rave about it. It always has been the best, shame about the Qualcomm fiasco. Only down side is its slavish adherence to Mr Webster.

magerlab

#566 Post by magerlab »

I added russian keboard layout as usual and flags change in xfce4 keyboard-layout indicator. Though it can not be used to control the settings( boxes are empty)

I'd better prefer a minimal distro without applications, even without a browser. That means, I can add only apps I prefer.
Also I think that we need a good looking puppy. So newer gtk themes MUST be in. To my taste, it's not necessary to include all the xfce4 -gtk themes. Even "slowest" gtk themes like murrine or equinox and aurora work fast in puppy

Jemimah, what do you plan to make a built in mediaplayer?

Sage

#567 Post by Sage »

..minimal distro without applications, even without a browser. ... what do you plan to make a built in mediaplayer?
Priorities wrong way round?! It doesn't feature apt-get whatever from the CLI, so a basic browser, not a media player comes first. If you just want a media player stick your discs in the telly and its ancillaries - no need for a PC.

jemimah

#568 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote:Go to the Appearance settings - on the Fonts tab you can set the dpi.
Thank you.
Though I was actually wondering what were the changes that made /root/.Xresources xft settings irrelevant and how to globally change it from the CLI in XFCE.
I guess I was looking for

<property name="DPI" type="int" value="NNN"/>
in /root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml.
Maybe the "Set blobal font size" widget should also consider this. Though could be tricky to coordinate with .Xresources since they go the opposite way and screen resolutions vary. Some math is needed :D
Adding the xfce session manager seems to give xfce control over these settings. Dpi settings do end up in /root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xsettings.xml.

xsettings.xml:    <property name="DPI" type="int" value="102"/>
xsettings.xml:    <property name="LastCustomDPI" type="int" value="102"/>
I have removed the set global font size app for Saluki-007.

magerlab

#569 Post by magerlab »

I know what I mean of course:). I'd like to have a BASE system, something like Saluki looks now. I will add FF and if someone does not like it, he can add Chromium, etc.
Then, the question about mediaplayer means this: jemimah used gstreamer in Fluppy and it seems that this will also be in saluki, am I right.

jemimah

#570 Post by jemimah »

magerlab wrote:I added russian keboard layout as usual and flags change in xfce4 keyboard-layout indicator. Though it can not be used to control the settings( boxes are empty)

I'd better prefer a minimal distro without applications, even without a browser. That means, I can add only apps I prefer.
Also I think that we need a good looking puppy. So newer gtk themes MUST be in. To my taste, it's not necessary to include all the xfce4 -gtk themes. Even "slowest" gtk themes like murrine or equinox and aurora work fast in puppy

Jemimah, what do you plan to make a built in mediaplayer?
I do intend to add the other theme engines - I just haven't done it yet.

From an architectural standpoint, gstreamer is the most interesting media backend, and the most bang for size because so many apps can take advantage of it - including Midori. However, Parole is kind of weak as a media player and last time I checked it was the only lightweight gstreamer-based video player. There might be something better by now.

jemimah

#571 Post by jemimah »

In any case, the core will not have a media subsystem at all. You will be able to get an instant minimalist system by deleting the adrive.

The real difficultly is deciding what goes in the core vs the adrive.

666philb

#572 Post by 666philb »

not sure if anyone's posted one yet, but here's the NVIDIA 285.05.09 driver
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h54udp91t ... _luki6.pet 31.94mb
MD5 c5ec4ba09f7a08019f374d2b00996f9f
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

smokey01

#573 Post by smokey01 »

Jemimah I never get video when I first boot Saluki. I have to use vesa.

This is what I have in Lupu-525

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 220/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.12

scsijon

#574 Post by scsijon »

jemimah wrote:From an architectural standpoint, gstreamer is the most interesting media backend, and the most bang for size because so many apps can take advantage of it - including Midori. However, Parole is kind of weak as a media player and last time I checked it was the only lightweight gstreamer-based video player. There might be something better by now.
Have a look at the Christine Media Player, software and the home website (such as it is) link is on sourceforge, it might suit you. Only uses Python and GTK+ on top of gstreamer and is tiny!

regards
Last edited by scsijon on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:00, edited 2 times in total.

Bert

#575 Post by Bert »

jemimah wrote:
Did you have a specific font in mind? Have you seen the font hinting settings in the Appearance setup?
Hi Jemimah, I always add the Ubuntu font to any Puppy and also the Font Wizard pet (from Iguleder?). That usually makes the fonts acceptable. Other nice fonts are Liberation and Droid.
No, I hadn't seen the font hinting settings :oops:
Are there things from Xubuntu that we can/should copy?

Well, I had a good look at Xubuntu 11.10 again today and it's hard to pinpoint what elements make it so great. The distro feels like a well-polished product, everything seems coherent and logically placed. I'm quite certain total noobs would have no problem using Xubuntu.
Of course nice themes and fonts and complete localization influence the experience
So to answer your question: Copy everything, except the bloat :lol:
FYI, Xubuntu uses 321 MB ram on the same atom computer, with only hardinfo running...
Thanks.
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

mavrothal

#576 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote: The real difficultly is deciding what goes in the core vs the adrive.
Indeed.

I would think that to great extend this depends on how to go about preexisting pets and PPM. The Achilles heel of puppy IMHO.

A lot of the pets assume presence of certain libs and do not list them as dependencies, while PPM is not the best in handling dependencies and looking at multiple repos to find them.
These can result in a very user-unfriendly core.

I would think that the core should be able to handle at least the puppy-common-repo pets and certainly include some browser (even dillo) so users will not be stranded when only the core is loaded.

On the other hand a well crafted and populated luki-repo is necessary to match whatever decision is made for the core.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Sage

#577 Post by Sage »

at least the puppy-common-repo pets and certainly include some browser (even dillo)
Uh! Think that's what I was trying to say. Even Slitaz and TinyCore have a rudimentary method of contacting the InterWeb.

jemimah

#578 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:Jemimah I never get video when I first boot Saluki. I have to use vesa.

This is what I have in Lupu-525

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 220/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.12
For these types of problems it is helpful to mention whether or not it works in Racy since the only difference graphics-wise between racy and saluki is the kernel.

Remember that report-video always says vesa unless you create a real xorg.conf, so don't rely on that output.

Examining the /var/log/Xorg.0.log may tell you what the problem is.

jemimah

#579 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote: I would think that the core should be able to handle at least the puppy-common-repo pets and certainly include some browser (even dillo) so users will not be stranded when only the core is loaded.
This is a position that a "user" should not be in. The core feature is really only intended for developers and power users. You actually do have ppm access - just have to press the configure button if you want the saluki repo (which is in no way ready!).

Volhout

iso size

#580 Post by Volhout »

I currently use puppy linux for 2 completely different tasks.

- day to day business (use lucid 528-004) ... and .... jemimah .... puppeee 44RC2.

- recovery of broken system (use wary or browserlinux).

The fact that I need to revert to wary or browserlinux is the fact that the lucid series do not have a good browser in the iso. For recovery you run from the live cd and need a good browser (to fetch WIN drivers from the internet), and excellent hardware support in the iso (otherwise your system may not boot, or may not even connect to the internet).

If the 128Meg iso limit would stop to exist, it would be great if we could have a decent browser in the iso. Just a thought ....