Lighthouse Pup 5.03 203M Wine 1.3.14 (not being maintained)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
HiDeHo

increasing number of sfs

#201 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi i am in the process of creating a puplet. i am wanting to know how you have added up to 40 sfs to load on startup. i would like to do something similar to this. you seem to be the only puppy based os with this ability.

can you also let me know if you do not want to give this information away.or send me a message via the forums if you prefer. .

Hugh

Re: Keep VirtualBox or Wine from filling up your save file

#202 Post by Hugh »

tazoc wrote: ...
What I do is close VirtualBox, move /root/.VirtualBox to, or make a folder, .VirtualBox on another partition or within /mnt/home. Then in ROX-Filer I drag and drop it to /root and choose 'Link (absolute)' when prompted. That way VB will work with /root/.VirtualBox as before, even though it is actually on another partition.

Hope that helps,
TaZoC
I got lost in your procedure above.

Where do you move /root/.VirtualBox to?

Which folder is being dragged and where precisely
in /root is it being dropped?

Any procedure for redirecting storage area from
within ROX is valuable to me - I'd prefer not to use
the console unless it is absolutely necessary.

Can you clarify please? Many thanks in advance!
Various Old Computers 100MHz - 1.9GHz
First Puppy: 2.00 Presently: TahrPup 6.0.3
HDD Filesystem: FAT32/ext3; Frugal Always

ICPUG

Re: Keep VirtualBox or Wine from filling up your save file

#203 Post by ICPUG »

Hugh wrote: I got lost in your procedure above.

Where do you move /root/.VirtualBox to?

Which folder is being dragged and where precisely
in /root is it being dropped?

Any procedure for redirecting storage area from
within ROX is valuable to me - I'd prefer not to use
the console unless it is absolutely necessary.

Can you clarify please? Many thanks in advance!
Assuming you are going to use /mnt/home as your storage area:

1) MOVE the folder /root/.VirtualBox to /mnt/home

When you have done that the folder .VirtualBox should now be in /mnt/home and NOT /root. That is, there exists a folder /mnt/home/.VirtualBox but /root/.VirtualBox no longer exists.

2) Now drag the newly created folder .VirtualBox, which is in /mnt/home, back to /root, (not a subdirectory of root), BUT when prompted choose 'Link (absolute)'

When you have done that the folder .VirtualBox will still be in /mnt/home but .VirtualBox will now be back in /root again as a Link.

Virtual box still saves to /root/.VirtualBox but as this is now a link and not a folder it really stores to the folder that is linked to, /mnt/home/.VirtualBox. This means all storage from VirtualBox is outside the save file and in the /mnt/home partition.

Hope that helps.

Hugh

#204 Post by Hugh »

ICPUG,

It does indeed! Crystal clear! Thank you.
Various Old Computers 100MHz - 1.9GHz
First Puppy: 2.00 Presently: TahrPup 6.0.3
HDD Filesystem: FAT32/ext3; Frugal Always

tazoc

Re: increasing number of sfs

#205 Post by tazoc »

HiDeHo wrote:Hi i am in the process of creating a puplet. i am wanting to know how you have added up to 40 sfs to load on startup. i would like to do something similar to this. you seem to be the only puppy based os with this ability.

can you also let me know if you do not want to give this information away.or send me a message via the forums if you prefer. .
I studied the scripts posted by Leon Zobec for Puppy 4.1.2.

The mods are not easy--need to extract the init script from initrd.gz, edit the script as Leon did, add loop device nodes in /dev and directories up to /pup_ro42, then rebuild the new initrd.gz and test. Also, the main file might need similar nodes and directories as well as tweaking of /usr/sbin/bootmanager.

So other than just using a Pet like SFS Combiner by MU or SFS_Load on-the-fly by Shinobar, it requires some knowledge of bash scripting and lots of patience...

-TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

don570

#206 Post by don570 »

I just bought an old IBM M52 Thinkcentre computer
and I discovered that it has an Intel integrated graphics chip.

I found it very difficult to boot up with Puppy.

I found an old CD with Puppy3 would boot it
and the most recent version of Racy 5.2.2 would at least boot
it from the CD, but I found lots of buggy behaviour.

So far the best Puppies that I have found to use with
this computer are Lighthouse 5.03 and Fluppy012
(but NOT Fluppy013 !!! which wouldn't boot at all)

Fortunately Fluppy012 is still available
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/aarf/

PenguinPupLin

Lighthouse Puppy for Acer Travelmete notebook

#207 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Greetings. I've done a frugal install of Lighthouse 5.0.3g on my 8-yr-old desktop PC and like it very much;almost worked out-of-the-box.
Now I intend to frugal install it on my Acer Travelmate TM630 notebook(since 2002), cpu Pentium 4 1.6Ghz,ALI chipset motherboard, 512MB ram, onboard NVidia Geforce2Go graphics using shared memory 16MB, 80GB harddisk, cardbus wireless adapter model DLink DWL-G630 (based on RT61.sys or RT2500). Based on this specs,I wonder if this version of Lighthouse Puppy will work. Hope someone can advise me as I've tried other puppies,eg Slacko 5.3,Wary 5.2.2,Brunopuppy(based on 431) - each of them seems to give me some problem ,such as touchpad no tapping,mouse hanged for no reason,wireless connection problem,Youtube video crappy(hardware limitation?). Even without these problems, Lighthouse Puppy is still my first choice but am reluctant to go through the hassle if it is sure not to work as I've already spent a lot of time trying to get those other puppies to work without much success,not for want of effort. :oops: Pardon me if I've posted the query in the wrong thread.
At last,I made another livecd to test it on the notebk(OS WinXP),only xvesa works and the touchpad no tapping problem. Is there a way to resolve the touchpad problem and tweak xorg for better youtube video performance?

don570

New version of mtpaint

#208 Post by don570 »

New version of mtpaint is out but you mustn't use the generic
version that is available because of an incompatibility with
libjpeg.

So I put together a special version that works just for Lighthouse 503.
The only known problem is that to uninstall this package you have to
do it by hand ( not PPM).

don570

#209 Post by don570 »

Dave S gave this advice in using Flsynclient which is the
software that controls the touch pad.

Go into /root/ in your filemanager. set it to show hidden files. Load the file .flsynclient into a text editor (right click, select 'open as text') Look for the entry 'clickfinger3=' and set the value to '1', so : clickfinger3= 1
I found this advice on this page. It also describes how to turn off
the touch pad.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 61a3684f9c

Also Jemimah gives some advice here.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48011

PenguinPupLin

#210 Post by PenguinPupLin »

The problem is Flsynclient doesn't run in xvesa. I'm been hoping to get xorg NVidia driver working for my notebook NV11 Geforce 2 Go graphics chipset using 16MB onboard memory. Xorg probing correctly identifies my graphics as 'nv" but my external LCD monitor screen,in place of my faulty notebook screen, is garbled unless I switch to xvesa. Is there a workaround for me? I've posted for help before and am still waiting for some kind soul to assist me.
So far,Puppy Linux has been a happy and exciting discovery for me, even more than Ubuntu which I've tried without satisfactory results for my older PC hardware. Now,I use Puppy exclusively for my old PCs,in particular Lighthouse which,unfortunately,is too much for this notebook to handle but it works beautifully in one of my older desktop PC with slightly better hardware. Keep up the great work!

don570

#211 Post by don570 »

I have a geoforce2 board as well

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 081#436081

I was able to get the NVIDIA-96.43.16_lupu500-k2.6.33.2.pet
to work on Lucid puppy.

The only suggestion I can give is to read the tips page very carefully
http://www.lhpup.org/tips-lhp.htm
then try to install a proprietory driver that Tazoc has
prepared. But it probably won't work.

http://lhpup.org/sfs/%3C%3C-PET/503/System/

If I knew more about compiling I would make a NVIDIA-96.43.16
driver. That's a project for the future :lol:

EDIT: I see that Tazoc has a nvidia 96 driver compiled
http://lhpup.org/pet/5/NVIDIA-96.43.16- ... -1.7.7.pet

But it says LHP version 502. No mention of 503???
I'll test it and see if it works in 503.

You could try it as well.

PenguinPupLin

#212 Post by PenguinPupLin »

After a few tries,the xorg NVdia96 driver works for LHP5.0.3!
don570, you make me so happy,can't thank you enough. Of course,I salute Tarzoc for his driver.
I'm raring to go,but must calm myself down and ask you:Will it work for my other Puppies,eg Wary 511 or 522, Puppy 431(Brunopup actually), and possibly for older puppies/kernels such as Classic Pup 214X-TOP9 as well as Legacy OS 2 based on kernel 2.6.18.1? Hope I'm not asking for too much.
To be exact,I use this one http://lhpup.org/pet/5/NVIDIA-96.43.16- ... -1.7.7.pet, not the the one for lupu. Aren't they the same?

As an aside,my other problem remains,unrelated to this issue as it was there before when using xvesa,i.e my LHP5.0.3 randomly freezes; I've just created a new pupsave and it's still happening. Memtest ran with no error,shouldn't be overheating problem as Wary 511 runs fine for hours. Sorry,this could be an issue for another thread.Just trying my luck here.Ignore me if I'm being impolite. Still in cloud nine after getting xorg NVidia driver to work for my notebook.Now,got to run FlSynclient to try and configure my touchpad tapping to work.
With people like you all in the Puppy Linux community, the computer world is so much more fun and meaningful, as well as benefiting the world at large.
Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#213 Post by Jim1911 »

PenguinPupLin wrote:I'm raring to go,but must calm myself down ask you:Will it work for my other Puppies,eg Wary 511 or 522, Puppy 431(Brunopup actually), and possibly for older puppies/kernels such as Classic Pup 214X-TOP9 as well as Legacy OS 2 based on kernel 2.6.18.1? Hope I'm not asking for too much.
It will not work, the driver must be compiled for each kernel source used.

@don570 You can compile your own driver as follows:

1. Download the devx and kernel source sfs files and place them in /mnt/home.

2. Run the boot manager in the setup wizard to have them loaded on the next reboot, then reboot.

3. Download the proprietary driver for your graphics card here.

4. Logout to the prompt and switch to the directory that the driver
was downloaded to and execute

Code: Select all

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.19.run
(substitute your downloaded driver)

5. When it's finished compiling run xorgwizard and choose the nvidia
driver and set the resolution, back at the prompt enter "xwin" to get
back to the desktop.

NOTE: If your distribution has the nouveau driver, it must be removed, otherwise your compile will fail.

PenguinPupLin

#214 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Thanks Jim1911 for your prompt reply or I'd have plunged in with disastrous consequences,perhaps.
Much as I appreciate it,I'm afraid I'm not up to the task, being still quite a noob. Btw,my notebook uses the NV11 Geforce 2 Go chipset for all those puppies I multi-boot. Sigh.
One more thing,does it matter that I'm using an external LCD panel in place of my faulty notebook screen? Any synchronization problem?

Jim1911

#215 Post by Jim1911 »

PenguinPupLin wrote:Thanks Jim1911 for your prompt reply or I'd have plunged in with disastrous consequences,perhaps.
Much as I appreciate it,I'm afraid I'm not up to the task, being still quite a noob. Btw,my notebook uses the NV11 Geforce 2 Go chipset for all those puppies I multi-boot. Sigh.
One more thing,does it matter that I'm using an external LCD panel in place of my faulty notebook screen? Any synchronization problem?
Do a search for NVIDIA drivers using Puppy Google Search. There is a good chance that someone has already prepared a pet or sfs for the kernel that you are using.

I have no first hand experience using an external LCD panel but it should work fine as long as it's set for the proper resolution.

PenguinPupLin

#216 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Thanks Jim. Only managed to find one Nvidia-96.43.13-k2.6.30.5-1.pet that works for my Puppy 431 and very happy with that.

As for Wary 522 and Quickset Wary511, I decided to try my hand at installing the nvidia driver using your method but kept running into "Verifying archive integrity...Error in check sums..." despite having double-checked the checksums to be matching after downloading the devx and source files. Actually,I use an md5sum utility in windows to compare the checksums in Windows as I'm more confident with it than using the Puppy gtkhash calculator to do a visual check.

For Wary 522, I used these files : devx_wary_5.2.2.sfs, kernel_src_2.6.32-uni-45-patched-sfs, and the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.20-pkg1.run.
First, I copied all 3 files to /mnt/home.
Then, run bootconfig manager to load the devx and source files at bootup and reboot.
Next,exited to prompt, cd /mnt/home.
Followed by, sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.20-pkg1.run
And got the error message.

The steps were the same for Quickset Wary511 but I wasn't 100% sure I got the correct files, namely, wary_devx_511.sfs, kernel_src-2.6.32.28-patched.sfs. I based them on what I got from uname -a except that quickset wary uses the small iso without language packs.

Hoped to receive your further guidance or welcome response from anyone for a noob who was gung-ho to plunge into the deep end albeit a failed maiden attempt.
Edit: Just did another checksum to make sure ,this time using puppy's gtkhash and found no discrepancy.

don570

#217 Post by don570 »

I tried Tazoc's http://lhpup.org/pet/5/NVIDIA-96.43.16- ... -1.7.7.pet

on Lighthouse 503g and it didn't work for me. There must be a reason
why it's listed for Lighthouse 502 only :cry:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49384

I see that a guy has been collection nvidia drivers but not for Lighthouse.
http://www.revolutionvoice.com/dl.html

you to quickly set up again.

Jim1911

#218 Post by Jim1911 »

PenguinPupLin wrote: For Wary 522, I used these files : devx_wary_5.2.2.sfs, kernel_src_2.6.32-uni-45-patched-sfs, and the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.20-pkg1.run.
Sorry, I cannot duplicate your error. I did not have Wary 5.2.2 so I installed it and compiled the driver using the same files mentioned above with no errors. Although I used driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run which is the latest version for my card. You must have a bad download of the source or devx file. Also, you may need to download a different driver for your video card.

You could try shinobar's sfs files that he has for Wary. His files are usually very reliable.

Any further discussion should be on the Wary thread or an Nvidia thread. We don't want to hijack this thread.

PenguinPupLin

#219 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Solved: Sorry,it turned out to be a faulty Nvidia96.43.20 download,there being no md5sum to check. Sincerely appreciate don and Jim for their kind responses. Success tastes sweet. :D

PenguinPupLin

#220 Post by PenguinPupLin »

I noticed a few of the menu icons disappeared with labels remaining, eg under Utilities. Can't recall exactly what I did before that happened but it occurred to both PCs using radeon graphics cards, one Radeon9550 on the built-in radeon driver while the other ,Radeon HD5450, used the ati-catalyst-10.6 driver from Lighthouse Update. 'Refresh menus' or 'fixmenus' in console failed to fix it.

For the HD5450, I tried updating the driver to ati-catalyst-11-12 manually using the ati-driver-installer with the requisite LHP devx and kernel source files successfully but the disappearing-icons problem remains.

Also tried switching from JWM to ICEWM, stil the same, but switching to XFCE restores it to original state, so I don't think it's caused by the radeon driver

How do I restore the icons in JWM and ICEWM? Any guidance appreciated. TIA.

Added: Another strange,probably related,problem, clicking on the desktop causes the wbar to disappear.