Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Snail

#1001 Post by Snail »

playdayz said
ADD: What am I thinking, SFS-Load will install an sfs in a live boot with no save file. Download the sfs, then run Setup -> SFS Load-on-the-fly and click the folder icon to navigate to the sfs, then click Load. You will get a warning but it will work.
Yes but how do you download the sfs files in the first instance? It seems that you would have to setup a pupsave file, which requires a reboot, download the files using quickpet or getsfs and then delete the pupsave. Am I missing something? It's awfully clunky if I'm not. Not very user friendly, so quite out of character for 2HD.

If there is a better way of doing the download, can someone please let me know, so I don't make a factual mistake when I raise this in the 531 thread, as Playdayz recommended.

Sage

#1002 Post by Sage »

DVD+R
Ditto, and DVD+RW. Usually swap drives and OSes until hitting a winning combination! Problem not confined to Puppy suggesting either a SW or FW coding issue abounds? Tried updating your drive FW? Might need a 'doze machine to accomplish, depending on format supplied?

RSH

#1003 Post by RSH »

Snail wrote:playdayz said

Quote:

ADD: What am I thinking, SFS-Load will install an sfs in a live boot with no save file. Download the sfs, then run Setup -> SFS Load-on-the-fly and click the folder icon to navigate to the sfs, then click Load. You will get a warning but it will work.

Yes but how do you download the sfs files in the first instance? It seems that you would have to setup a pupsave file, which requires a reboot, download the files using quickpet or getsfs and then delete the pupsave. Am I missing something? It's awfully clunky if I'm not. Not very user friendly, so quite out of character for 2HD.

If there is a better way of doing the download, can someone please let me know, so I don't make a factual mistake when I raise this in the 531 thread, as Playdayz recommended.
Try this one:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74544

Or use direct link to ibiblio directory (all pets and sfs (i hope so))
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ages-lucid

You can find all other url's at /root/.quickpet/repos.conf. You just have to replace things like $PUPVER, pet${CHAR}, ${REPO_NAME} with its values.

Hope one of this will fit and/or help.

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

playdayz

#1004 Post by playdayz »

Or use direct link to ibiblio directory (all pets and sfs (i hope so))
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ages-lucid
All of the "official" ones, but there are other sfs's available on the forum such as the new one of VLC 1.1.13..

rerwin

Patch 7 for installation to lucid pup 5.2.8-004 ISO.

#1005 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
This patch incorporates the recent wary/woof improvements to package installation and uninstallation on flash media, and woof-consistent updates to sound support (as well as everything in the "lupu528-002" patches). However, it includes mods necessary for lupu that may not apply to wary/woof. In addition, it has some "human factors" improvements in response to user frustration related to getting 3G modems going.

To install the patch package in flash-drive installations, be sure to do at least one "save" in the session before installing. Otherwise the patch will detect that a save has not been done and will direct the user to uninstall it, save, then reinstall it. Afterward you can install the modeswitch package, but then reboot to complete the installation.

Anyone creating a remaster from these packages might also consider cleaning up the geany configuration so that the list of recently viewed files is empty. Go into /root/.config/geany/geany.conf and edit the line, recent_files=... to remove everything on that line after the equal sign. While in there, you could also change "line_wrapping=false" to ...true, if (like me) you prefer geany to automatically wrap the lines. Make this edit when prompted to make any changes to the /tmp/root directory, next after everything is copied from the original CD/ISO-file.

Here are the changes I made:
  • - Added preference for Tenda wireless-N USB adapter: rt2800usb:rt2870sta.
    - Added kgodt's PPM fixes for absence of a file name.
    - Added wary/woof fixes for flash-drive install/uninstall, removing the need for special protections relative to the saving to flash.
    - PPM uninstall now seeks original file version in all layered SFS files, including zdrv (zdrv, so far, omitted from wary/woof).
    - Alsawizard first window now includes the name of the current driver module (card), so user can know whether to change it.
    - Added wary/woof fix for overwriting of symlinks to directories, during package installation.
    - Added wary/woof fix to umount for partitions greater than 9.
    - Added wary/woof RPM/DEB installation support, adding script exploderpm.
    - Changed retention of selected sound card across reboots, to synchronize it with whatever card ALSA actually sets as the default, to support moving of a flash drive among PCs -- It influences ALSA's choice, but then should show whatever the current "card" is, in case the original card is no longer present.
    - Reworked the alsawizard's startup of retrovol to confine it to the alsaconf script and run it independently of the wizard, but invoke it from the main line instead of from an internal procedure that would cause retrovol to crash.
    - Added wary/woof corrections to PPM for file names containing spaces.
    - In the pupdial modem dialer, changed the label of the "Stupid mode" checkbox to "Bypass login", which is what it does -- many new users get frustrated when they delete the login and password default, following their ISP's instructions, and cannot connect, only to be advised to turn on Stupid mode, which is not at all obvious.
    - In pupdial, also ensured that a login and password are passed to wvdial (which requires them) by filling the empty fields with the default values.
Items of note:
  • - The wary/woof PPM dependency-check improvements are omitted from the patch because they are very extensive and may have dependencies that add risk at this point.
    - The addition of RPM/DEB installations has not been tested in lupu, so I request that someone try that.
    - Although there is logic to set the initial sound-mixer values, it is probably never executed because ALSA appears to create the asound.state file before that logic is run, leaving the master volume at 55% instead of the intended 75%.
    - I am collecting a few more small fixes for a patch-8, so please report any problems or practical additional fixes for the building of the "experimental" ISO. Thanks.
UPDATE 1/30/2012: Re-uploaded modeswitch 1.2.2 (after download number 8) to add the appropriate rules file, previously omitted.
Richard
Attachments
lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-7.pet
Cumulative patches for lupu 528-004. Package manager flash drive fixes.
Sound updates. Human-factors improvements. USB 3.0.
For flash drives, be sure to "save" before installing this package. Reboot afterward.
(167.46 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 21:31, edited 8 times in total.

Sylvander

#1006 Post by Sylvander »

@rerwin
Running Lupu-528.004 with your patch-6 applied, and working well, then...

1. Downloaded your .pet files to /00.

2. Clicked "Save" icon on desktop.

3. Made PupsaveHotBackup to external USB HDD.

4. "Restart X server" to close all programs [3 Firefox-9.0.1 windows + Xfe].

5. Installed lupu528-IU002_rerwin_patch-7.pet and clicked "Save".

6. Installed usb-modeswitch-1.2.1-20111023-adapted.pet and clicked "Save".

7. Rebooted.
There was an auto-save at shutdown instead of the normal choice offered "Save the session to lupusave.3fs? = Y/N".
Need to go back to your instructions on how to enable that choice.
.................."setting "ask" in the /etc/shutdown_save_mode file" now completed, and working well.

8. I see no problems so far. :D
Except...
Having installed Firefox-9.0.1...
My Firefox windows don't stay in order from left to right on the taskbar; instead they apparently rearrange themselves randomly. :(
Is that a characteristic of the new version of Firefox, or this Lupu?

Also...
9. Still have the problem that the PWidgets calendar does not highlight the present day of the month.

bigpup

#1007 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote: Having installed Firefox-9.0.1...
My Firefox windows don't stay in order from left to right on the taskbar; instead they apparently rearrange themselves randomly. :(
Is that a characteristic of the new version of Firefox, or this Lupu?

Also...
9. Still have the problem that the PWidgets calendar does not highlight the present day of the month.
Firefox:
I would say that is a Firefox bug or feature. Who knows, with the latest updates to Firefox.
They seem to be just releasing and letting us users test.
Pwidgets:
It seems to be a theme bug. I have changed theme setting in Pwidgets and corrected this problem.
Pwidgets->plugins->themes
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#1008 Post by Sylvander »

1. "It seems to be a theme bug. I have changed theme setting in Pwidgets and corrected this problem.
Pwidgets->plugins->themes.
"
Changing themes didn't fix the problem.
In fact, it messed up the ram_bar display [right beneath the calendar].
I made a change in the ram_bar code so it will display values for the MiB and % of RAM used.
The ram_bar disappeared, and some code was displayed in its place.
Rebooted without saving, and all's well and back as it aught to be.
Attachments
00.jpg
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 1257 times
01.jpg
(3.1 KiB) Downloaded 1319 times

bigpup

#1009 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:1. "It seems to be a theme bug. I have changed theme setting in Pwidgets and corrected this problem.
Pwidgets->plugins->themes.
"
Changing themes didn't fix the problem.
In fact, it messed up the ram_bar display [right beneath the calendar].
I made a change in the ram_bar code so it will display values for the MiB and % of RAM used.
The ram_bar disappeared, and some code was displayed in its place.
Rebooted without saving, and all's well and back as it aught to be.
I am using Pwidgets 2.3.6
Just changing theme is not causing this problem for me.
I have seen times when Pwidgets messes up if you,
Run theme selection
Select apply button
Select OK button
Back on Pwidgets main setting window
Select apply and not quit.
Attachments
pwidgets settings.jpg
(39.86 KiB) Downloaded 1293 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#1010 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Select apply and not quit."
That's what I did. :D
When that messed up the ram_bar, I tried choosing other themes [and "apply"] one after the other.
Nothing changed as I applied each theme.
The ram_bar display stayed messed-up. :(
I returned it to its normal state by rebooting without saving the changes.

bigpup

#1011 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:1. "Select apply and not quit."
That's what I did. :D
When that messed up the ram_bar, I tried choosing other themes [and "apply"] one after the other.
Nothing changed as I applied each theme.
The ram_bar display stayed messed-up. :(
I returned it to its normal state by rebooting without saving the changes.
What I am saying is when back to the main setting page of Pwidgets:
DO NOT SELECT APPLY
select QUIT

I think the apply button on the main setting window, only works for things done on that window.
It does seem like Pwidgets is a little buggy in making setting changes.
In the past, I have had to kill program and restart, to get changes set properly.
The apply and OK buttons seem to struggle for control.
Maybe your code change causing a problem? :?: :idea:

There is a new version Pwidgets 2.4.0 here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35601
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#1012 Post by Sylvander »

SUCCESS! :D

What I had to do:
1. Run PWidgets.
2. Choose "Plugins->Themes".
3. Choose "Stardust", and click OK. [The window closed]
4. Back in the main window, clicked "Apply". [The problem was fixed]
5. Closed the main PWidgets window.

Amgine

#1013 Post by Amgine »

I have a 2.4GHz Linksys Wireless-G USB network adapter. In puppy it show up but it will not connect to any wireless points.

It shows up in the connection log "wlan0"

Could I be missing a driver?

Puppy is up to date 004... Ideas?

Edit: Running a Kubuntu live USB, it works fine...

bigpup

#1014 Post by bigpup »

Amgine wrote:I have a 2.4GHz Linksys Wireless-G USB network adapter. In puppy it show up but it will not connect to any wireless points.

It shows up in the connection log "wlan0"

Could I be missing a driver?

Puppy is up to date 004... Ideas?

Edit: Running a Kubuntu live USB, it works fine...
There are some things to try in:
menu->help->LupuNews Help
YaPI(any iso installer)

Aitch

#1015 Post by Aitch »

Amgine
please post output of

Code: Select all

lspci -nn
typed in console

lxterminal allows easy copy/paste if you have difficulty

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=38739

this will determine your hardware chipset, and thus driver needed, thanks

Aitch :)

Amgine

#1016 Post by Amgine »

Aitch wrote:Amgine
please post output of

lspci -nn
typed in console

lxterminal allows easy copy/paste if you have difficulty

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=38739

this will determine your hardware chipset, and thus driver needed, thanks

Aitch :)

sh-4.1# lspci -nn 
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IGP2 [10de:01e0] (rev c1)
00:00.1 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1 [10de:01eb] (rev c1)
00:00.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 [10de:01ee] (rev c1)
00:00.3 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 [10de:01ed] (rev c1)
00:00.4 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 [10de:01ec] (rev c1)
00:00.5 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 [10de:01ef] (rev c1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge [0601]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge [10de:0060] (rev a4)
00:01.1 SMBus [0c05]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) [10de:0064] (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller [10de:0067] (rev a4)
00:02.1 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller [10de:0067] (rev a4)
00:02.2 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller [10de:0068] (rev a4)
00:04.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller [10de:0066] (rev a1)
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: nVidia Corporation nForce Audio Processing Unit [10de:006b] (rev a2)
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) [10de:006a] (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge [10de:006c] (rev a3)
00:09.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE [10de:0065] (rev a2)
00:0d.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) Controller [10de:006e] (rev a3)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP [10de:01e8] (rev c1)
01:04.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller [11ab:4320] (rev 13)
01:08.0 USB Controller [0c03]: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller [10b9:5237] (rev 03)
01:08.3 USB Controller [0c03]: ALi Corporation USB 2.0 Controller [10b9:5239] (rev 01)
01:0b.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller [1095:3112] (rev 02)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS [Radeon 9550] [1002:4153]
03:00.1 Display controller [0380]: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS [Radeon 9550] (Secondary) [1002:4173]
sh-4.1#

Volhout

UDF format support in Pmount for 528

#1017 Post by Volhout »

Playdayz,

We found the cause of the mounting problem. Aparently Pmount does not support UDF disk format (only ISO). Manual mounting works, the UDF support is in the 2.6.33 kernell.

Do you think it is worth to get Pmount fixed to improve 528 ?

See this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 777#595777
Regards,

Volhout.

playdayz

#1018 Post by playdayz »

We found the cause of the mounting problem. Aparently Pmount does not support UDF disk format (only ISO). Manual mounting works, the UDF support is in the 2.6.33 kernell.
Hey Volhut, Thanks to you and everyone investigating the DVD mounting problem. Believe it or not I had just finally gotten around to testing that myself (as I had been working on the new 3HD Version 3)--and of course confirmed the problem. And I also just confirmed that as you say manual mounting works. My first suspicion was that it was a DVD+R problem as Puppy Universal Installer advises against DVD+R.

So now, First, Are all versions of Pmount affected? That is, Does Slacko also have the problem, etc.? I can check that. If Pmount has been fixed then I will try to use a newer version. Second, can Pmount be fixed easily? If it can be fixed then Barry or whoever wrote Pmount might be the best person to fix it. We will soon prepare a "Testing" version of Lucid 5.2.8 and a Pmount fix could be included. We are serious about long term support of Lucid so it would be nice to fix it.

Add: it appears Slacko also has the problem. In fact, Slacko does not even show an icon of the DVD. I will tell 01micko in case he hasn't heard. I don't have a Wary install to test at the moment. I don't have any DVD-R disks either--does anyone know if they are affected or is it only DVD+R? And is it only if the DVD is made in Windows? Yes. It is only if the DVD is made in Windows.

IMHO it should be fixed if at all possible so Puppy users don't run into a problem--to me this is the same as being able to open docx documents.

Volhout

DVD -R

#1019 Post by Volhout »

Playdayz,

1 page back in this thread I read confirmation from others that other DVD data disk types are not recognized (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW).
I cannot confirm if it is only if the DVD is made from Windows. In my case it was made by Windows. I do not have OS-X to try-burn a data DVD.

playdayz

#1020 Post by playdayz »

I cannot confirm if it is only if the DVD is made from Windows. In my case it was made by Windows. I do not have OS-X to try-burn a data DVD.
But if the DVD is made with Pburn in 5.2.8 then it can be mounted--I wasn't even thinking about Mac. I have let 01micko know. If someone could confirm the problem in Wary or Racy then they could post in the Wary or Racy bug threads. I am not at all doubting that you have defined the problem as Udf. Thanks.

Funny thing--when I made a test DVD in windows it refused a number of my file names as too long (or something). But Pburn did not have that problem--it burned them all, including the ones windows 7 had refused to burn. (I guess that is a failing of the UDF.)