Make Linux user friendly

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
willem1940NLD

Make Linux user friendly

#1 Post by willem1940NLD »

1: " Open with ...." command under right mouse toe.
It must be technically possible to automatically list & present all installed programs that can open something. Added "browse" actually is very useless since it only gives files, whilst user needs programs.

2: Pidgin, Preferences, Browser. In many distros, Puppies as well, I experience "Desktop default" as being false; never saw this working, always have to select a browser. Please improve.

3: Keyboard Layout Variant "USA alt-int" often not true and often disappears without notice. Today another 5 times inserted to see result.

disciple

Re: Make Linux user friendly

#2 Post by disciple »

willem1940NLD wrote:1: " Open with ...." command under right mouse toe.
It must be technically possible to automatically list & present all installed programs that can open something. Added "browse" actually is very useless since it only gives files, whilst user needs programs.
N.B. the programs are typically in /usr/bin, so just browse there.

Yes, it is technically possible. e.g. if you use the pcmanfm filer, it automatically lists them (assuming they all advertise in their .desktop file or wherever it is that they can open this type of file). I guess this is available in the default filers in Gnome, KDE and XFCE (note that Thunar can be installed without XFCE), but I'm not sure which other filer... It would be a massive improvement to Rox.

Also, these filers automatically select one of the listed programs as the default, so you don't need to manually set up all your file associations (although in Puppy you don't need to do that for most common file types, anyway).

In pcmanfm also when you "browse" for a program you get presented a hierarchy of programs like the start menu (well, like the start menu you'd get with a normal LXpanel installation, not the Puppy start menu).

Note that the current version of pcmanfm is quite buggy and lacking many features. I'd suggest trying Thunar, or the old version of pcmanfm (I presume it has these features, although I haven't checked).
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER