Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#1501 Post by pemasu »

James C. You got the libs from the above pet. It seems that I have managed to replace the correct gnome-mplayer pet with earlier version. Not sure how it has happened, but so what...I will fix it with next release, which will be uploaded tomorrow. If you dont find anything really serious broken.

James C

#1502 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:James C. You got the libs from the above pet. It seems that I have managed to replace the correct gnome-mplayer pet with earlier version. Not sure how it has happened, but so what...I will fix it with next release, which will be uploaded tomorrow. If you dont find anything really serious broken.
I grabbed the libs out of 5.X10.3 .... replaced libgmtk.so.0: and then needed libgmlib.so.0: .Looks like the same version as the pet you uploaded.Working,that's the important thing.
Attachments
Mplayer.png
(32.83 KiB) Downloaded 754 times

edoc

#1503 Post by edoc »

Here's the report so far ...

I installed 5x10 on a Samsung NB30 netbook. It appears to have detected all of the hardware.

I ran the Seamonkey 2.4.1 PET.

The info pop-up info window said it was still "processing package database files" for too-long so I ignore it and opened SM (it takes over the Firefox icon on the desktop, same as in 5x9) and SM appears to work fine so far.

I chose SM Updates and downloaded 2.6.1 (20.0 MB, about 4min download). It appears to function OK as well.

I made an error in typing the password in Frisbee and rather than it prompting for a new password it ignored a request to "create profile" (since the password had failed it seems not-intuitive to assume that any profile would be created).

I had to guess that I needed to go to "Edit saved profiles" and delete the existing then try again.

More as I get a chance to test further ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pemasu

#1504 Post by pemasu »

Edoc. That pet installation message bug has been fixed, see the thread earlier.
The browser icon change is due to the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrower file. The pet probably had that file with Seamonkey as the choice.

edoc

#1505 Post by edoc »

pemasu wrote:Edoc. That pet installation message bug has been fixed, see the thread earlier.
Cool.
pemasu wrote:The browser icon change is due to the /usr/local/bin/defaultbrower file. The pet probably had that file with Seamonkey as the choice.
It is a good thing, just thought I'd make the observation so others are not surprised.

Also, I used the Touchpad settings to activate vertical and horizontal scrolling and also toggled-on the two-finger feature ... will test those later.

And, I observed the little Laptop app, will have to toy with that later as well! :-)

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#1506 Post by edoc »

What would be the best source for Flash Player for SM 2.6.1 in 5x10, please?

Adobe shows three Linux options for Firefox but I don't know if they will play nicely with SM.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

pemasu

#1507 Post by pemasu »

Edoc. I think that latest Adobe Flashplayer is ok for Seamonkey. The Exprimo should offer download and there is download menu entry in menu > internet.

pemasu

#1508 Post by pemasu »

Exprimo 5.X.11 has been uploaded.

Frisbee-manager has been restored and I have improved the management. Now it moves the Frisbee management files to the repository and stops Frisbee daemon.... so...no reboot needed. If it works. If the status does not change to the disabled when you click again the frisbee-manager menu entry, go to the /usr/local/Frisbee and click open frisbeestate and change the statement to the OFF. Then in subsequent switching the status is ok. I know that stu90 fixed this but I am not sure where I have that fixed set-frisbee script.

Barrys latest SNS has now profile management also. I have added the needed scripts.
Gnome-mplayer fixed.
Petget - Puppy Package Manager has now Shinobars fixed setup.
Pupsaveconfig and the Shinobars /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown has still the feature: if you have cd/dvd mounted, it ejects it during shutdown and shuts down with tray open. I suppose somekind correction could be useful. I didnt implement Billtoo`s commenting out fix. But you can use it if you want. You can find the post earlier in this thread.
FFConvert has now don570 blue icon back for suggested codecs to be used at bottom right. And it has Plinej`s dvd subtittles ripping from VOB files implemented. I hope my hacking works.
Vattery-acpitool uses now earlier acpitool/vattery-acpitool from 5.X.9 version.
So....this version is bug fix release with Barrys SNS improvements added, woof2 commit from today`s commit. Nothing more.

Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... primo5X11/

Billtoo

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.10

#1509 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to my emachines D620 laptop.
Frisbee set up the wireless network connection.

Sat 7 Jan 2012 Operating System: Dpup Exprimo-5.X.11 Linux 2.6.39
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M
[Radeon X1200 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: RS690 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Core 0: 1596 MHz

The radeon video driver is a little flakey in that sometimes when
entering text (such as in entering a filename to save or the password
in frisbee) the info box will blackout.It's the same in other pups too.
Attachments
5x11scrn.jpg
(162.65 KiB) Downloaded 677 times

mikeslr

Exprimo 5x11 Keyboard Graphics & possibly SaveFile problems

#1510 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu & All,

My system: AMD Phenom II X4 920, ATi Radeon 3100 graphics, Keyboard plugged in via USB port.

After saving all of 5x9 to a protected directory, I copied the 5x9 SaveFile back to the directory in which I had unpacked 5x11's ISO and attempted to boot into 5x11. Boot sequence recognized the 5x9 SaveFile and offered to update it. However, the keyboard was unresponsive and I had to disconnect the power cord in order to continue. I booted into Lupu, deleted the SaveFile and rebooted reaching desktop and 2 barks. Set up Frisebee manager & wifi and then shut down, electing to create a SaveFile, named 5x11.
Possible SaveFile Routine Problem: Although a 512mg Ext4 SaveFile was created, and in the Exprimo directory, I do not recall being asked, Where? How Large? or in what file format?
I, again, booted into Lupu and copied the 5x9 SaveFile to the Exprimo folder. On reboot, the 5x9 SaveFile was recognized and I was offered the choice between using the 5x9 and the 5x11 SaveFiles, the Keyboard was once again unresponsive. I mentioned that the Keyboard was plugged into a USB port because I recall running across a slimilar (the same?) problem either with a different Puplet or re-installing XP, which I overcame by restarting after an "old fashioned" keyboard had been plugged into the keyboard port.
The kernel you've used is apparently the one which has some problem with Ati Radeon 3100 graphics. I've experienced a similar problem; I think with Saluki or some version of Slacko. Although everything works at the proper resolution, when a dialogue box is called --such as when initiating Frisbee-- a black box or black line appears obscuring the display or field into which text is to be typed.

I'm currently in Lupu, having booted into it in order to delete the 5x9 SaveFile. When I reboot into Exprimo 5x11, I'll check to see if the Radeo driver is being used. If not, it may require installation, or an argument in the boot configuration.

Supplemental: According to Lighthouse-sys-info, if I read it correctly, although the Radeon driver is being used, a "protocol names file" failed to open. See attached. So I have no idea how to solve a problem which, on my system, turns an otherwise great puplet into something I'd avoid using.

mikesLr
Attachments
GraphicReport.jpg
(43.78 KiB) Downloaded 610 times

backi

#1511 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !

Burnt iso to Dvd .

Could not boot .......kernel panic .
Maybe bad download .... maybe bad burn .
Gonna try later again .

Cheers.!

pemasu

#1512 Post by pemasu »

Pupsaveconfig has whole separate panel for changing different values and formats. There is button in the main panel for that. It just takes some time to get accustomed to the new apps.

About your radeon driver. As I have posted before. You should try proprietary ATI driver. The compiling it is straightforward.

There isnt much I can do to the partially working graphics drivers than suggest to compile the proprietary driver. I suppose it would be more satisfactory solution.

pemasu

#1513 Post by pemasu »

backi. It seems, I dont have any dvd or dvd-rw left to try, but....burned cd-rw booted just fine. I suppose you checked the md5sum of your download. Before making bug report it good practice to check that. I might have had bad upload also. I will check it now.
But...defective burning is possible.

backi

#1514 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !

Download iso again ...burnt iso .... same failure .

Dont know exactly if i did the right thing by checking checksum.( i am new to it )

(Right-clicked the downloaded iso .....choosed md5 checksum....
pulled button hash.......

got number 46f661c8447a5d6ea0d7a5b38c776a8b

but the number here :
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... so.md5.txt

is 880b3df6c347ec1dbdd32987d6278ec9

pemasu

#1515 Post by pemasu »

backi. You have bad download. I just downloaded my own upload and I got the same md5sum, so....my upload is fine. And you have bad download. You need to download again. Uget or wget is the most reliable way to download.

For example in console: wget http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... 1-SCSI.iso

mikeslr

Compiling? Is that like making a blivit?

#1516 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu,

You're right. You gave me that advice on the Exprimo smp thread.
There's an old Chinese proverb: "Let my enemies live in interesting times." But I am more inclined to the world view expressed on the back cover of a 1960'd paperback -- Uhuru by Robert Ruark -- which went something like "Before you effect a change, be sure you're replacing the old with something better."
Don't get me wrong. I love your work. Because of their included apps and tweaks, MidnightSunPup and SnowPup remain my OSes of choice when I want to accomplish something. I test a Pup in its developmental stage and report problems in the hope that by doing so I can help the Pup's developer create a distro which a newby can just "plug and play."
Techies love challenges. Newbys expect ease of use. Developing a Pup which has great apps but an unsatisfactory display satisfies neither group.
I'm posting from Exprimo 8, which "just worked." I also reverted to Exprimo 8-Smp for the same reason. I've never compiled anything. My google search of the Ati Radeon 3100 driver indicated problems among many distros which suggests that compiling that driver is not something I should undertake as my first effort.

mikesLr

backi

#1517 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !

Thanks for your reply !

Gonna try again .

Billtoo

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.11

#1518 Post by Billtoo »

Here's a newer version of QTFM than the one you have.

pemasu

#1519 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Billtoo. It warms me when we get newer qt apps to the house. I will test it soon and add it to the Qt pets repo.

pemasu

#1520 Post by pemasu »

Qtfm, which is small but nice filemanager, works just fine when you install this pet to have qt functionality. Qupzilla and all those 3 mediaplayers in qt apps repo for dpup works with these libraries also. You get also qtconfig, to use from console, to change qt apps outcome.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0 ... y-dpup.pet