Firefox 9 -- next version, same game as FF 8

Booting, installing, newbie
playdayz

#21 Post by playdayz »

Let's Call This Testing for Now! At least it's on the fast server ;-)

This is a new version from the previous 9.0.1 pet. This is 9.0.1-2. The code below is implemented in this new pet.

Firefox 9.0.1 seems very sensitive to how it is started. One way it starts but it locks up. Another way it doesn't lock up but flashplayer doesn't work. This way seems to work.

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
Firefox 9.0.1-2 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firef ... -Lucid.pet

You should uninstall any other Firefox pets before installing 9.0.1-2. And it should be OK to update--for a while at least ;-)
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 17:36, edited 3 times in total.

Puppyt

#22 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks playdayz-
your 9.0.1 was still 'shuddering'/functional blackouting for me for normal browsing, so I opted to also install Opera from the Quickpet menu - from which I'm writing now. Did that rather than try and correct using the scripting suggestions from seaside/micko01 et al (which was confusing a trog like me),
Cheers!

PS HungarianXP-528, frugal install on intel celeron 2.4Ghz, 2GB ram, in JWM

UPDATE: While sending the previous, I just cut'n'pasted your code straight into the terminal I opened on the desktop, pressed 'return' and up it came, with negligible hiccups in the 30mins I've been browsing with it (and posting now). Even given my patchy internet service, I think that your updated code has solved it! Thanks :)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

Zhao

#23 Post by Zhao »

playdayz wrote:Let's Call This Testing for Now! At least it's on the fast server ;-)

This is a new version from the previous 9.0.1 pet. This is 9.0.1-2. The code below is implemented in this new pet.

Firefox 9.0.1 seems very sensitive to how it is started. One way it starts but it locks up. Another way it doesn't lock up but flashplayer doesn't work. This way seems to work.

/usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
Firefox 9.0.1-2 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firef ... -Lucid.pet

You should uninstall any other Firefox pets before installing 9.0.1-2. And it should be OK to update--for a while at least ;-)
I have installed this new pet (Firefox-9.0.1-2-Lucid.pet) and it works great. Firefox 9.0.1 and flash are now working in my lupu 525 with no problems. Thanks playdayz for your work :)

willem1940NLD

#24 Post by willem1940NLD »

I took the risk .... on my clean re-installed puppy 525. Yes, everything seems o.k now.

Edit: Now all of a sudden "Lucid Puppy News" is out of reach in my Quickpet, browser opens but page does not show. Coincidence?

playdayz

#25 Post by playdayz »

Edit: Now all of a sudden "Lucid Puppy News" is out of reach in my Quickpet, browser opens but page does not show. Coincidence?
willem1940NLD, Which browser? Possibly not coincidence.

Add: But I just checked and it opens for me in both Chromium 18 and Firefox 9.0.1-2.

I see, you are using the Firefox 9.0.1-2 pet in Lucid 5.2.5. Am i right? I didn't test that. Does it put http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/ in the address bar when you click Lucid Puppy News in Quickpet?

Add: I just t4ested in a pristine boot (pfix=ram) of 5.2.5 and Quickpet Lucid News worked with the Firefox 9.0.1-2 pet.

willem1940NLD

#26 Post by willem1940NLD »

No, http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/ does no more appear in browser, just only the browser homepage.

Have now added this address to my bookmarks in browser, which will do for the winter if necessary.

Might of any use be, boot, F2, puppy pfix=clean or puppy pfix=purge?

playdayz

#27 Post by playdayz »

willem1940NLD wrote:No, http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/ does no more appear in browser, just only the browser homepage.

Have now added this address to my bookmarks in browser, which will do for the winter if necessary.

Might of any use be, boot, F2, puppy pfix=clean or puppy pfix=purge?
Does the file /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser contain

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
Right-click the file and choose Open as Text to view the contents.

willem1940NLD

#28 Post by willem1940NLD »

No,
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
is not there .... seems logical to me as I had to make choice after firefox installed, which browser must be "default" and then it calls itself just "firefox" in automation ... (!?).

Nevertheless, this works flawlessly .... for now.

Less pleasant: link "Puppy News" in petget still inactive, even after I have used "purge" startup; firefox opens with nothing but my home page.

Edit: thinking further, if it were not the charm of reference that caused the stabilisation, maybe "uninstall old Firefox first" may have done the trick. So, 2 reasons for me to wipe 525 for another fresh reinstall. Will be back thereafter.

willem1940NLD

#29 Post by willem1940NLD »

Done.

Formatted, cleanly installed 525, downloaded and tried the new Firefox, working alright.

Installed & rebooted: Firefox dead.

Checked "default browser" and it showed the long new string as name, also under desktop icon taskbar bottom left, as an extra browser listed.

Switched to plain "Firefox" .... still dead.

Rebooted: Firefox working, string nowhere present.

Note well: this is the first Firefox I installed this time, no memories present to any earlier version.

willem1940NLD

#30 Post by willem1940NLD »

F*

Again, link to "News" disappeared from petget.

willem1940NLD

#31 Post by willem1940NLD »

Also, "more pets" out of reach now in petget.

Offside: why are several of such and other important pets missing in 525/Lucid package manager ..... e.g, Startmount, Guvcview ..... ?

willem1940NLD

#32 Post by willem1940NLD »

Things are worsening.

Couldnt use "click" links given in chats, they only open my home page in browser.

Uninstalled Firefox9 and found Firefox4 disappeared from petget & package manager; picked offered No.7 instead, working fairly well.

But: Install_crashplayer(flashplayer) dead, no use trying de/re-install; it pretends to install but does no more appear in menu.

I am getting annoyed wiping and re-installing puppy 525 almost daily.

BBL

bigpup

#33 Post by bigpup »

willem1940NLD,

Is there some reason you have not moved to Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.004.
It is much improved over Puppy 525.

Get mad at Firefox for their screwed up Linux update.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

willem1940NLD

#34 Post by willem1940NLD »

bigpup wrote:willem1940NLD,

Is there some reason you have not moved to Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.004.
It is much improved over Puppy 525.

Get mad at Firefox for their screwed up Linux update.
528 main problem, several upgrades as well as clean installs tried: it killed my Alsa sound within 3 reboots, repeated setup of no use. Even speaker icon in tray bottom right never returned.

Fighting again with Slacko 531 now, 3rd clean re-install; cannot get Libreoffice working, it just doesn't open up for me. Borrowed 1.6 java Lupu pet installed without comments but is of no help. Slacko further works fine, using (lupu) Pidgin pet 2.1. I find it stable so far and pleasantly quick even with full Ext3 format on stick USB1. It uses Seamonkey pre-installed. Would like to keep Slacko but I need Office.

Now thinking about again a new install 525 and trying a different browser, before having any traces of firefox on board.

Might all this keep failing then I will give 431 a new try.

RetroTechGuy

#35 Post by RetroTechGuy »

willem1940NLD wrote:Now thinking about again a new install 525 and trying a different browser, before having any traces of firefox on board.

Might all this keep failing then I will give 431 a new try.
I found that 5.20 was less power-hogging than 4.3.1 Had tried the earlier 5.x series, but they weren't inspiring enough to make me upgrade from my working 4.3.1.

5.20 made me jump right on board (and it worked so well, that I was hesitant to upgrade to 5.28 -- but I broke my 5.20 save file, and figured I give it a try).

Only recently upgraded from 5.20 to 5.28 (since I have frugal installs, I still have 5.20 laying around on several machines).

Put 5.25 on a really old laptop, which seems to work well (light memory load, which is good for that old critter). It had 4.3.1 Retro previously, but that was hardware intensive also. 4.12 worked pretty well on it.

But you shouldn't have to go back that far...

Don't recall if you mentioned it, but what's your hardware? Relatively new, isn't it? (i.e. > 1 GHz processor, etc).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

willem1940NLD

#36 Post by willem1940NLD »

I use a rather old tower 995MHz 1GB RAM. Mainboard apparently has an IDE problem because suddenly I cannot use harddisks anymore which it maybe kills itself because at interchanging with harddisks from another computer (435MHz) the problem was present in both.

USB still works, a bit tricky as I had to find out, because it accepts an OS to start with only from the original 2 USB1 entrances, so I can only start using slow USB1 although I can very well install or save very quickly to an extra USB2 pci card 5-entrances.

I have to use CD for first seconds booting to start as the bios gives no facility to boot directly from USB.

I am planning to find some new hardware, booting from USB2 or USB3, large RAM support (8GB or better) and no harddisk. Passive cooling, no ventilators. Stuff of the kind seems to be scarce though and still unreasonably expensive.

willem1940NLD

#37 Post by willem1940NLD »

Started lupu 525 CD and immediately installed one of the lower 2+ versions Seamonkey as offered (not the beta of course).

As usual, I installed addon XMarks; not the usual dialogue, so I opened it by hand and made the settings. No result, no bookmarks retrieved.

Reboot without saving.

Used Dillo to go to NLUUG and found there newer/higher versions Seamonkey marked for puppy 525.

Picked Seamonkey 2.4 and installed addon XMarks which now worked and I then disabled since I have bad experience with alive addons.

Installed 525 on USB stick and rebooted:
- install flashplayer dead
- quickpet partly paralyzed, a.o cannot reach "more pets" and "news"
- many sudden Seamonkey crashes, self-recovering in restart.
====

Maybe I need a browser outside the Mozilla family.

Note: I keep using XMarks since "Sync" seems a bad joke to me; endless dialogues and never got a bookmark retrieved, I deleted my account.

rokytnji

Firefox 9.0.1 and Seamonkey 2.6.1

#38 Post by rokytnji »

I got tired of trying to get Opera to pick up symlinked libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/pluglins folder. Opera came stock in install in Lighthouse 503. I'm using Flash 11. Opera picked up all my other plugins. Flash player seemed invisible to it /though. And yes. I included symlink paths from /user/lib/opera/plugins and /usr/lib/adobeflashplayer>(where the symlinks pointed to)

So I downloaded SeaMonkey 2.6.1.tar.bz2 and Firefox 9.0.1.tarbz2 using Opera first

So did a .

locate opera
To get a list of all the installed Opera files and proceeded to delete all opera files in Lighthouse. Also removed Opera Launcher from Menu and Wbar.

Next extracted SeaMonkey and Firefox and put them in /opt. Next made a symlink for SeaMonkey and Firefox in /usr/local/bin pointing them to /opt/firefox/firefox and /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey.

Next made new Icon launchers for wbar using the symlinks I made in /usr/local/bin as launcher paths. Icons are from /usr/share/pixmaps.

All my plugins are now picked up in both browsers. No crashes or problems yet.
Flash and Java and Mplayer and all the other plugins work OK. Checked Help menu Updater Mechanism. Seems OK also.

willem1940NLD

#39 Post by willem1940NLD »

Just tried again a clean install 525 with Opera .... 3 times ..... Opera crashes at every closing.

Not much fun today.

willem1940NLD

#40 Post by willem1940NLD »

All is well that ends well .... I forgot all the time to look in quickpet column "Internet" where old Firefox4 still is listed.

525 reasonably stable again now and I intend to stick to FF4 till I am sure something better is ready.