Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

Please post any bugs you have found
gcmartin

#501 Post by gcmartin »

linbie wrote:Well I've given up with USB booting - tried all suggestions with no luck.

Have installed as a dual boot on C drive using the windows self installer - working fine.
I think you noted that you were successful in using a Live CD/DVD. I have be a user of this approach for several yeas.

SLACKO offers a suitable use for me and it has been great for saving any PPM packages and any system changes I make. Its extremely fast (RAM based) and its stable (except for glitches I seem to always have with Abiword)

Notable is that I have been running one SLACKO for about 2 weeks constantly. It seems to sleep well, waking up when I need it.

I understand about the problems you have run into. Even though I cannot provide a solution for that, but, if you want a reliable desktop that won't touch your hard-drive, except of course if you want to use its storage, this MAY meet your objective.

Hope this helps

torgo

#502 Post by torgo »

Hi folks. I mentioned a Slacko driver issue in a thread on the Beginners forum, and someone suggested that you might want to know about it here in this thread as well.

The device is the Tenda W311U wireless-N USB adapter. It works in Lucid 5.28 but not in Slacko.

Lucid tries to load the rt2800usb module. That one doesn't work. But if you prevent rt2800usb from loading, Lucid also loads the rt2870sta module - and that one works fine when configured with the Network Wizard.

But in Slacko, neither module works. In the Network Wizard, it fails when you click to Scan for wireless networks. The error message is:

Error!
Failed to raise interface wlan0.
Failed command was: ifconfig wlan0 up
Error returned was:
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted

Simple Network Setup shows the wlan0 interface on the list (using either rt2800usb or rt2870sta) but gives the "Failed to activate interface wlan0" error window as soon as you click the wlan0 button.

Hopefully that's enough information to mean something to somebody. I'm also trying out other modules, but so far none of them will run the device.

linbie

#503 Post by linbie »

linbie wrote:Well I've given up with USB booting - tried all suggestions with no luck.

Have installed as a dual boot on C drive using the windows self installer - working fine.

Well I don't give up usually!

Doing the google thing I came across a video demo of how to install a linux version onto a USB. There was nothing new in the video that has not already been mentioned here and on other forums EXCEPT the presenter said he could NOT get the install to work on 5 out 8 USB sticks of various sizes. He also said the he had no explanation as to why!

So going back to my old desk drawers I found an old COBY branded 1GB USB stick. Started Puppy used universal installer on the 1GB stick - presto puppy loads from the USB stick.

Everything works EXCEPT Seamonkey. I can connect to the wireless network. I even get the pop up about installing Flash but cannot get Seamonkey to open (blank screen). Have no idea about this one.

Not content I try to see if I could install another linux distro onto the USB. Tried a bare bones one - SliTaz (quite good for a 30MB iso). I had no luck with the original 2GB (Sony) and 4GB (Imation) USB drives but when loaded onto the 1GB (Coby) - SliTaz also booted from the USB.

I suspect its my motherboard that does not support USB larger than 1GB. Now to sort out the Seamonkey issue.

bigpup

#504 Post by bigpup »

menu->setup->Bootflash install Puppy to USB
Installing Puppy to USB. That is what it is for. That is what it does.
Most computers with any age to them, are looking for a USB flash drive formatted in VFat, (Fat16 or 32) for booting from USB.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

fodendaff

slackopuppy5.3 video card crash

#505 Post by fodendaff »

i had a problem with slacko 5.3 maybe this is not relevant as it is no longer a current version but may well be.if not then disregard this post. i had enquired at irc.freenode.net#puppylinux and was pointed here. i would have posted sooner but had trouble with email validations.
i have been running lupu 528 for some months with a creative craphics blaster exxtreme graphics card
Sat 7 Jan 2012 Operating System: Lucid -528 Linux 2.6.33.2
4.0 VGA compatible controller: Texas Instruments TVP4020 [Permedia 2] (rev 01)
oem: Creative Graphics Blaster Exxtreme

X Server: Xorg Driver: glint
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (313x232 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
Core 0: 2591 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.
anyway i found that i had to run xorgwizard and follow the menus in a certain order, under lupu528 otherwise the computer would dump me back to the console and not start x server.
the x server would only run with the glint driver and when i tried slacko 5.3 it would not startx at all. i noticed it had no glint driver so i started slacko mounted the lupu_528.sfs file on a directory and copied the glint_drv.so file over to the corresponding directory on slacko5.3 and instead of booting to the x server it would make the computer hang with a green screen and the computer would not reboot from the keyboard only with hard reset. i was advised to transplant the xorg.conf file also which i tried with no improvement and then i copied over the rest of the files in that directory with no improvement.

8-bit

#506 Post by 8-bit »

I have Slacko 531 scsi downloaded and I did a frugal install of it.
I have a 250 meg SCSI ZIP drive attached to an Adaptec controller that I know Puppy is supposed to have drivers for.
But when I boot the PC, the SCSI device is shown, but when I continue to boot into Slacko 531 SCSI, no drive is found and no SCSI driver gets loaded.
So, do I have to compile a SCSI driver and manually install it?
Something is not right if I do.
Puppy contains or at least is supposed to contain the aic7XXX.ko driver for this SCSI card.
Am I missing something here, or is support for SCSI not included in this release?

I switched to the himem version and it found my SCSI ZIP drive, So I guess all is well.

Beside the point, Slacko-5.3.1-SCSI-MAIN.iso is not recognizing my SCSI ZIP drive. So I am assuming that the scsi stuff was inadvertently left out.
It works in the HIMEM version.

gcmartin

#507 Post by gcmartin »

Linbie wrote: ... I suspect its my motherboard that does not support USB larger than 1GB. Now to sort out the Seamonkey issue. ...
Although you may have already done this, you might want to click the SlickPET icon on your desktop, go to Pets on its menu-bar, and click the 2nd item in the drop-down. After it completes, you should again in Pets, click the first item, PPM, and there, you will have opportunity to upgrade/fix SeaMonkey under the Internet heading.

Hope this helps.

linbie

#508 Post by linbie »

Well not only have I got Slacko 5.3.1 booting from a flash drive on an old desktop I have now successfully installed slacko on an old eee PC 701 (4GB) with a 2GB SD card.

Also, have deleted the original linux on the eee PC 701 and replaced it a frugal Slacko 5.3.1 on the SSD.

Details here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75078

Snail

SFS Utility problem

#509 Post by Snail »

Hi 01micko,

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but playdayz suggested that I raise it in this thread, as you are the originator of the Sfs-Get in the Lupu Quickpet.

This isn't an urgent matter, I offer this suggestion in the interest of still further improving the usability of Puppy.

If you are operating without a pupsave file, whether running live or with a frugal install to flash, the sfs-get in 5.2.8 Quickpet will not work. (There are probably other circumstances where it will not work without a pupsave, these are the instances I know about).

The warning message I got with the usb frugal install was that I couldn't do it without being installed. Of course, I was installed. It was the lack of a pupsave that was the real objection.

If this restriction is really necessary, may I suggest that a more precise message would be less confusing to the likes of me?

However, I believe that it would be much better if the restriction could be eliminated altogether. I'm not able to grasp the logic of preventing an sfs download when running without a pupsave. Sfs-get is run with the principal intention of downloading the sfs and placing it in mount/home. Surely you don't need a savefile for that?

Loading is a separate issue. Even then, it is perfectly possible to load on the fly without having a pupsave. It is only the setting up of an sfs to load at boot that usually needs a pupsave file. Only if this is attempted does there need to be any sort of a check.

Some users prefer to run without a pupsave always. There are a number of other situations where it is occasionally useful to do without a save. As things stand, there is no user-friendly way to download sfs files from the 5.2.8 repository when in that mode. There is always a work-around but, IMHO, that's a klugey way to do it and doesn't sit well with 5.x.x's polish. If the restriction isn't necessary, why have it?

PupControl -> PupApps -> SFS Utilities -> SFS-Grabber has the same problem as sfs-get. It appears that the underlying problem is that both utilities want to both download or otherwise grab an sfs file and then, without further ado, schedule the sfs for loading on boot. If the option was given to stop after download, the problem wouldn't arise. If there wasn't a savefile at that stage, stopping appears to be required. (I'm not sure why the bootmanager won't run under pfix=ram. presumably there is a reason?)

May I suggest that eventually these two utilities could converge, together and also with the sfs part of boot manager. Initially, there would be a choice of selecting a file, or a url, or the quickpet repository. Next, the destination directory, obviously in mnt/home, would be chosen or a default accepted. After the get/grab stage was completed, the user could chose to exit, or to load, on the fly and/or on reboot.

To cancel boot loading, the sfs part of the boot manager might also be available from the opening window of the new utility. Having the sfs part of the boot manager available from an sfs utility would also be more user-friendly than having it under a completely different tab in PupControl, as is the case at present.

James C

#510 Post by James C »

Finally got around to replacing my full install of Slacko 530 with a fresh install of 531. No problems.
Installed the Nvidia driver and Conky and upgraded SeaMonkey to 2.6.1.All good so far.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.3.1

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: " 1440x900 " Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
11530 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2305.866 FPS
11810 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2361.890 FPS
11326 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2265.100 FPS
11154 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2230.700 FPS
11711 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2342.121 FPS
11514 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2302.723 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1034MB (124MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 11 Jan 2012 02:02:49 AM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235
Attachments
Slacko-531.png
(62.05 KiB) Downloaded 5148 times

G.Smiley

problem changing resolution in ati catalyst control center

#511 Post by G.Smiley »

Hello,

I already posted this problem in the beginner forum, as I thought it was my incompetence with Linux, but an Administrator there suggested it could be a bug, so here is the thing i have trouble with:

As i do have an Ati HD 5670 gfx card, I installed the ati_fglrx-11.8 driver pet. Now whenever I try to change the default resolution 1920*1080 to 1440*900, the sceen only shows a part of the desktop.
It looks like it only shows the 1440*900 part of the 1920*1080 desktop. This means I can not see the desktop icons on the far right and also not the taskbar on the bottom.
Also using Xorgwizard while the Ati driver is installed doesnt work, meaning changing resolution in Xorgwizard with installed Ati driver, always gives me a black screen.
In additional, after rebooting Slacko Puppy (and saving on a CD) it doesnt keep the resolution I set in the Ati Catalysts Control Center,
it always changes back to the default 1920*1080.
However using Xorgwizard without the Ati driver works fine.

On a general note, I do like Slacko Puppy very much, because after trying several differnet Puppys its the first one which recognises my sound chip and everything else works fine, which is great.

Hardware Info Summary:

-Computer-
Processor : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz
Memory : 3106MB (177MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 13 Jan 2012 08:13:09 CET
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel, AIC 887-VD
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
-Input Devices-
Chicony Chicony wired mouse
NOVATEK Wired Keyboard
NOVATEK Wired Keyboard
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD15EARS-00M
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C
Generic CF Card Reader
Generic SD MS Reader
Generic SMC xD Reader

Regards,

G.Smiley

01micko

Re: problem changing resolution in ati catalyst control center

#512 Post by 01micko »

G.Smiley wrote:Hello,(snip)
As i do have an Ati HD 5670 gfx card, I installed the ati_fglrx-11.8 driver pet. Now whenever I try to change the default resolution 1920*1080 to 1440*900, the screen only shows a part of the desktop.
It looks like it only shows the 1440*900 part of the 1920*1080 desktop. This means I can not see the desktop icons on the far right and also not the taskbar on the bottom.
Also using Xorgwizard while the Ati driver is installed doesnt work, meaning changing resolution in Xorgwizard with installed Ati driver, always gives me a black screen.
In additional, after rebooting Slacko Puppy (and saving on a CD) it doesnt keep the resolution I set in the Ati Catalysts Control Center,
it always changes back to the default 1920*1080.
However using Xorgwizard without the Ati driver works fine.

On a general note, I do like Slacko Puppy very much, because after trying several differnet Puppys its the first one which recognises my sound chip and everything else works fine, which is great.(snip)

Regards,

G.Smiley
Ok, looks like I need to invest in a bigger monitor to test these things :wink:

I do have a late model ati card but my oldish monitor is the bottleneck.

As for the task bar this is a limitation of the window manager .. JWM. If you open a terminal emulator (aka 'console' or 'terminal') type jwm -restart and that should fix that, or an X restart (see shutdown menu, "Restart X server") will fix both the task bar and RHS icons.

As for not saving your X settings on a reboot I'll have to investigate.

Please hang in there!

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Shep

#513 Post by Shep »

I have been using Slacko for over a month. I can say that Firefox 7 on Slacko is significantly less responsive than Firefox 3.6.4 (or whatever the version was) on Wary. Despite this, I'm happy to stay with Slacko until I get a chance to try a newer Firefox (is it up to version 10 now?) as soon as a pet becomes available. It may be that Firefox is just not getting faster with each version.

Just want to say I greatly appreciate the collective effort that goes into each Puppy derivative. I'm using a 560MHz PIII so it's a good test of what puppy can make of older hardware.

shinobar

UPDATE: grub4dosconfig-1.7.2

#514 Post by shinobar »

UPDATE: grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.7.2.pet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697
v1.7.2: fix was mmc card(ex. mmcblk0p1) failed(thanks to jemimah), which vmlinuz and initrd should be taken(thanks to Karl)
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Laie

#515 Post by Laie »

I have installed slacko 5.3.1 on a SD-card. This works with my Lenovo 12 Netbook. But if I try to use it with my brand new Shuttle Barebone XS35V2, it boots but suddenly says

Code: Select all

puppy_slacko_5.3.1.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
I don't quite understand that.
The Shuttle machine: Atom D525 1,8 GHz Dual Core, 4 GB RAM, No Disk, 2 GB SD-Card.

Karl Godt

#516 Post by Karl Godt »

When you are in the ram disk console , cat the files in the /tmp directory for hints .

This would be a woof thingy . Probably missing HDD or SDD sda = HDD and CR = sdb or such like .

Laie

#517 Post by Laie »

Sorry, Karl, it took me some time to grasp cat.

Code: Select all

# cd /tmp

# ls
ALLDRVS0
ATADRIVES0
OPTICALDRIVES0
PUPSAVES
PUPSAVES-complete
bootinit.log
flag-usb-ready
probepart.log
puppy-file-search.log
uevents.log
usb-drives-probe

# cat bootinit.log
FATAL: Module hid:b0003v0000046Dp0000C05A not found.
FATAL: Module hid:b0003v0000046Dp0000C31C not found.
FATAL: Module hid:b0003v0000046Dp0000C31C not found.

# cat probepart.log
PATITIONS=1929244|mmcblk0p1
SYSBLOCKSUB=mmcblk0p1
ALLDRVS=mmcblk0
ONEDEV=mmcblk0p1 Size=1929244 DEVICE=mmcblk0p1
  SIZE=1929244 FSTYPE=vfat
  /dev/mmcblk0p1|vfat|1929244
ONEDEV=mmcblk0 SIZE= DEVICE=

# cat puppy-files-search.log
ALLDRVS=mmcblk0
The output of
# cat uevents.log
filled more than a screen,
I'd rather not write it down and I don't know a way to save it from the console.

pabloA

#518 Post by pabloA »

Thank you 01micko for this release: very 'em 'speedy'' :)

I have a little issue with Mplayer (1.0.4) retaining the sound card preferences. I can resolve this by choosing the correct card each time I open the application, but thought I'd ask the question anyooohs....
Has a 'fix' been reported for this yet; as I am coming up empty on successive searches?

I still retain the sound through HDMI for any system sounds, so I don't think it is the same issue which results in the total loss of all sound that some are reporting...

@Lale: A few suggestions in this thread you may want to try http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51456

01micko

#519 Post by 01micko »

You can now update PPM and get gnome-mplayer-1.0.5 (although it will not likely show)

You can get it here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 5-i486.pet

Also needed is gmtk:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 5-i486.pet

and dconf:
http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.37/sal ... 86-1gv.txz

That should help.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pabloA

#520 Post by pabloA »

Upgraded without issue, and user settings remain 'set ' upon re-opening.

Thanks 01micko..:D

e2a: Was tempted to raise the GSettings error, but then a quick search reveals that you "refuse to compile against the gconf bloat!" - I'll get back to playing with my working 1.0.5 then :)