Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Geoffrey

#501 Post by Geoffrey »

I do prefer the xfce appearance setter, it gives the options to use different icon themes if you make a folder called .icons and place it in /root, thats where extra icon and mouse themes can be placed,
the xfce setter also gives more control of fonts and whether there are images on button, the xfce4-mouse-settings is better suited also, I guess it's hard to mix'n'match applications and get good functionality.

I'm sure it will turn out extremely good once the bugs are ironed out
Attachments
appearance.jpg
(32.31 KiB) Downloaded 852 times

peebee

#502 Post by peebee »

jemimah wrote:To solve the problem where Frisbee won't take your password create the following directory:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors
That fixed it - many thanks - posting this from luki005 - Midori - over wifi :D

I echo some of the other comments made:

double clicking desktop icons is horrible, especially when you can set the windows to single click meaning you have an inconsistent ui

missed having mounted and unmounted partitions on the desktop although this can be fixed for mounted by making a desktop shortcut

I like the minimalist approach of few installed applications (although I think some pretty basic things like pfind and psnap and viewnior or eqivalents need to be there on bootup) but it does mean there will have to be a very easy to use and comprehensive way of adding packages of "commonly used applications"

Have to admit I don't really see what has been gained by moving away from "standard puppy" / jwm as yet - if anything I think it is a retrograde step in usability - just my twopennyworth.

Nice to play with though....so thanks

Cheers
Peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

etiennep

Re: ne reconnait pas le clavier français

#503 Post by etiennep »

Pelo wrote:Le clavier continue en QWERTY malgré le redémarrage de X.
Problème aussi de mot de passe de réseau WIFI.
Je laisse tomber. Il buggue dès le départ et il est moins bien que beaucoup d'autres Puppies.
Sans rancune.
[translation]
The keyboard is still in Qwerty despite restarting X. Also some problems with WiFi network passwords. I give up. It's bugging as soon as starting and it's worse than lot of other puppies. No hard feelings.

technosaurus

#504 Post by technosaurus »

aragon wrote:
technosaurus wrote:if you get fed up with Thunar, there is always xffm:
http://xffm.org/
Maybe i've done somwthing wrong but if i remember right, i've endet with a pet half as big as a puppy-iso the one time i build it...

Aragon
most of the size is the rodent icon theme(37Mb), locales(3Mb) and documentation(2Mb) ... the actual code is comparably small (<1Mb uncompressed) ... the biggest thing is splitting dev/doc/nls package and tweaking the icon theme (ttuuuxxx's specialty iirc)

@etiennep - you missed one part of the translation
Pelo
latin translation: asinus

(also American South English translates "no hard feelings" to "bless your heart" and American Military English it is "with all due respect sir/ma'am,..." ... in other words {I want to insult you but I am to timid to say it directly, please don't be mad at me.})
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Aitch

#505 Post by Aitch »

Pelo - I thought it meant 'hairy.'.. and is a user name?

Aitch :)

jemimah

#506 Post by jemimah »

peebee wrote:Have to admit I don't really see what has been gained by moving away from "standard puppy" / jwm as yet - if anything I think it is a retrograde step in usability - just my twopennyworth.
These are the main benefits:

It's not ugly or stuck in the 90s - external reviewers (rightly) tend to compare puppy with win95.

Integrated Desktop - you can drag icons between the menu, desktop, and panel.

Really functional panel - you can move it easily - turn it sideways, it has tons of applets

At no point do you ever need to bust out a text editor to configure it

It behaves similarly to other popular OSes. Users who aren't seasoned puppy veterans will appreciate that.

Compositing - it's not compiz, but it's still quite nice

The window manager and desktop work correctly with multi-monitor setups

jemimah

#507 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:I do prefer the xfce appearance setter, it gives the options to use different icon themes if you make a folder called .icons and place it in /root, thats where extra icon and mouse themes can be placed,
the xfce setter also gives more control of fonts and whether there are images on button, the xfce4-mouse-settings is better suited also, I guess it's hard to mix'n'match applications and get good functionality.

I'm sure it will turn out extremely good once the bugs are ironed out
I had problems getting it to work. That's why it's not included. I'll poke at it again before the next release.

jemimah

Re: drive mounting in 005

#508 Post by jemimah »

Volhout wrote:Tested drive mounting on a P4 2GHz system.
Opened the PC, and disconnected the internal speaker.
Barking is essential, but not at work.

To the testing:

There are no desktop icons for drives. There is no automount in 005, therefore used Pmount to do the testing.

In Saluki Pmount starts Thunar when a drive is successfully mounted (*) and does not close Thunar when unmounting. Whether this behaviour is wanted, I am not sure, but this is how it is.

Pmount does not "update" when changes happen/are made, but completely disappears and redraws (or restarts). Whether this is intended behaviour or not ???

No problems:
1/ Internal IDE drive, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4 partitions mount , unmount, have access (read/write), and launch Thunar correct.
2/ USB flash (128Mbyte), mount, unmount, access, and Thunar OK
3/ Internal Floppy drive (1.44Mbyte), mount, unmount, access, Thunar OK initially (read further)
4/ USB flash (4GByte) in USB2.0 USB port, mount, unmount, access, Thunar = OK
5/ USB card reader with 1Gbyte SD card in USB2.0 port: mount, unmount, access, Thunar = OK
6/ USB connection to a Blackberry: mount, unmount, access, Thunar OK
7/ IDE DVD R/W with Saluki ISO on CD: mount, unmount,access, Thunar OK.

Problems:
8/ USB flash (4GByte) in USB1.1 port, mount, unmount, access= OK, but Thunar fails to autolaunch (popup). Manual launch Thunar is OK. After this failure, Pmount returns to the floppy tab (not the USB tab) and the floppy drive tab in Pmount shows a floppy is inserted with label "b2e2fd.........9c4f" some sort of CRC. But the drive has no disk. The drive is not mounted.
9/ USB harddisk (160G) in USB2.0 port, mount, unmount, access= OK, but Thunar fails to autolaunch (popup). Manual launch Thunar is OK. Same problem with floppy label.

When Thunar fails to launch from Pmount once, it will fail to launch consistently at all drives/partitions until Saluki is restarted. But manual launch of Thunar works without restarting.

Not tested:
SATA HDD (this PC has no SATA).
USB FDD (don't have)
ZIP drives (don't have).

I estimate the observed problems are caused by Pmount starting Thunar before the mount action is completed. Only seen on USB drives.
I have no clue about the label that appears in the floppy drive tab of Pmount at this failure.

Finally: Pmount "preferences" button does not work.

If you need more debug info, send instructions.

Volhout
I actually didn't do much with pmount yet. I mainly worked on the drive applet. I'll figure out what to do with it for the next release.

My card reader disappeared in 005 - not sure if that was Barry's woof patch or mine that caused it. I'll check that out too.

jemimah

#509 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah, that xfce4-screenshooter still has the help button active which links to " /usr/bin/xfhelp4 " , this opens file:///usr/share/doc/index.html in conjunction with /usr/bin/xfbrowser4 which is already in Saluki, but not being used by the look of it

And while I remember, the open on the right click menu of the desktop trash don't work for me either, it's strange when emptying the trash, it pops up with a message that files can't be modified and do you want to skip them, if I select yes to all they delete, weird :?
I've borked up my trash a few times too. If I remove gvfs, then there's no trash can. I'm not sure which is worse, a buggy trash or no trash.

alec78

Delta Files

#510 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,

Jermimah, are you going to post delta files?
You are getting up a head of steam now, and delta files would help us to keep up.
Keep up the interesting work.

Cheers

MoebusNet

#511 Post by MoebusNet »

Saluki-005 clean frugal-install to a 2Gb USB flash drive using ext4 w/Grub4Dos. Sound works (barks) video resolution correctly set, WiFi sets up correctly w/McDougal's wizard, but not SNS or Frisbee (haven't made folder for Frisbee fix yet). Same traditional trackpad & SD card reader issues as the rest of the Puppies for this hardware. Latest Midori pet made a Menu>Internet entry, but won't run; missing a library. Aurora 9.0.1 installs & runs well, using it to post.

sh-3.00# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Saluki, version 005

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
sh-3.00# glx-gears
sh: glx-gears: command not found

EDIT:

sh-3.00# midori
midori: error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
(46.45 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Last edited by MoebusNet on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

MoebusNet

#512 Post by MoebusNet »

Are you running from a usb flash drive, if you are I have been having trouble with the package manager with a usb install, still haven't worked out what the problem is Confused
Sorry Geoffrey, vehicle troubles. Looks like you've got it sorted, though.
made a deadbeef-0.5.1-i686.sfs
Thanks Billtoo, I'll give it a whirl. EDIT: streaming Shoutcast using 0.5.1 on Saluki 5; works great!
Saluki-005 has been uploaded.
Thanks Jemimah, giving it a try right now!
Last edited by MoebusNet on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

peebee

#513 Post by peebee »

jemimah wrote:
These are the main benefits:
Hi jemimah

Really sorry if my impressions came across as too critical....weren't meant to be

I guess I'm not really a UI tinkerer so most of your benefits are ones I'm unlikely to need - ugliness in particular is very subjective and personal.

I had to use wikipedia to look up "compositing" :oops: and although I now understand what the word means I've no idea how it applies to luki....

I'll follow saluki's development with interest and hopefully as it matures I'll come to appreciate it's benefits more

Cheers & many thanks for responding to my twopennyworth
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jemimah

Re: report

#514 Post by jemimah »

MoebusNet wrote:
EDIT:

sh-3.00# midori
midori: error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
You need gnutls.

http://smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages ... 5-i486.pet

jemimah

#515 Post by jemimah »

peebee wrote:
I had to use wikipedia to look up "compositing" :oops: and although I now understand what the word means I've no idea how it applies to luki....
You can go into the Window Manager Tweaks and turn it on. It enables drop shadows and transparency in various places. I think you can even have a transparent panel if you want.

jemimah

Re: Delta Files

#516 Post by jemimah »

alec78 wrote:Hi all,

Jermimah, are you going to post delta files?
You are getting up a head of steam now, and delta files would help us to keep up.
Keep up the interesting work.

Cheers
http://smokey01.com/jemimah/saluki/isos/luki4-5.delta

MoebusNet

Re: report

#517 Post by MoebusNet »

jemimah wrote: You need gnutls.
Thanks! It works now.

mavrothal

#518 Post by mavrothal »

It would appear that the xorg devel files are included in the main sfs.
BTW is this still a woof build or a handcrafted one? If a woof build, any woof tweaks? If not, any build scripts?

On another note, if we overlooks the "heaviness", XFCE4 is way better than ROX/JWM in usability, adaptability and user-friendliness, I believe.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

#519 Post by jemimah »

Doh, thanks for pointing that out.

This is a woof build and it's heavily tweaked. My intention was to upload the patches and such when I'm done with changing them nearly every day.

Geoffrey

#520 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
peebee wrote:
I think you can even have a transparent panel if you want.
I looked for the transparent panel, that was in Xfce panel preferences it allowed transparency with a slider than set alpha level, it appears to be missing, the older version use to make the panel and the icons on it transparent, the new version is supposed to only make the panel background transparent.

Couldn't find the xfce4-settings-editor, this is a good thing to have, well I like to use it, I tried the one from Quirky NOP, it seems to work.

Here is a screenshooter that is better than the others I think.

The image below is hosted on http://en.zimagez.com/ free hosting no registration required, could come in handy, though they will be deleted if not used.
Lets see how long it will last, Time now: 2012-01-06 17:37
Last edited by Geoffrey on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.