Problem with WiFi on Racy

Booting, installing, newbie
nedsnow

Problem with WiFi on Racy

#1 Post by nedsnow »

Hi,

I have just created a USB install of Racy_5.2.2. (Note: after trying to create a USB install several times on different sticks, none of which would boot, I found that the existing MBR was really not OK - I had to replace it with mbr.bin to get a bootable installation.) Everything works fine on my old Dell 1510 laptop, including the old PCMCIA Belkin WiFi card. However, on my relatively new netbook, a Medion/Akoya E1222, Racy can't find the built-in WiFi. It is a Realtek RTL8191SE chip. The rtl8192se driver is loaded, but there's no wlan0 in the network setup, and lspci -k shows no driver for the chip.

I have a USB installation of the latest SysRescueCD which uses kernel version 3.0.8, and finds the chip fine and provides a wlan0 interface using the rtl8192se driver, so it seems to be the correct one.

Is there anything I can do, other than wait for a later kernel?

Thanks for your attention,

Ned

bene04

#2 Post by bene04 »

Hi nedshow,

I've seen two other reports re: racy about this same (no wifi recognition) problem. (One of them was mine.) I reported the problem a few days ago, but no one responded. I'll be watching your responses.

In the meantime, I think I will try another version.
Goog luck,
bene

pemasu

#3 Post by pemasu »

You could try Dpup Exprimo 5.X.10.3 with 3.1 kernel for rtl8192se

# find /lib/modules -name rtl8192se.ko
/lib/modules/3.1.0/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192se/rtl8192se.ko

You will find it from Derivatives section.

nedsnow

#4 Post by nedsnow »

Pemasu,

I downloaded and installed this (even though the processor in the netbook is single core). It seems to run fine, but there is still no wlan0 interface. The same driver modules are loaded.

I don't understand why kernel 3.0.8 in SysRescueCD finds the interface while both puppies I have tried won't! :(

Thanks for your help,
Ned

pemasu

#5 Post by pemasu »

Okay, now inspected the situation more. The rtl8192se driver needs firmware file to be loaded also. I am sure if you check in console after booting with: dmesg, that you will get some errors concerning the driver loading. Because the firmware is missing. There is the kernel module, but compiling the kernel does not create that needed firmware. Probably due to it is proprietary firmware or for some other reason.

So....you will need working firmware file placed in right location also.

I have tracked couple of versions of them from realtek download section and extracted the packages. I cant compile the kernel driver module, because they are not compatible with 3.1 kernel. So I just extracted the firmware from the package and created installation pet. I cant be sure this firmware works. I dont even know if it will need some initialization by compile process or not. Probably not.

Install the pet. then in console rmmod rtl8192se and then modprobe rtl8192se. Then in console check dmesg again. You should see information about how succesful or not the loading was.

I am sorry that I didnt check at first if there is need for firmware file also and if the firmaware file really exists. That`s what the quick posting do.

We can experiment with different firmware files also if you have interest. Also you can extract the pet and check how I have created the folders. In dpup just right click the pet and select the extract. After that you can start your own hunting and replace the firmware file in /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/ and again rmmod rtl8192se and modprobe rtl8192se and then dmesg again and do the real test.
Attachments
rtl8192se-firmware-0.0.1.pet
(39.7 KiB) Downloaded 491 times

sszindian

rt2800usb

#6 Post by sszindian »

I see that the problem appears to be addressed for rtl8192se wireless driver!

I am running into a similiar (maybe the same?) problem with wifi for rt2800usb in-

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.10.3 (only identifies eth0 interface)
Slacko-5.3.1 (only identifies eth0 interface)
Racy-5.2.2 (identifies both eth0 & wlan0 interfaces)

I posted my problem over in the Racy Bug-Report thread when I first encountered this problem,

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=390

Maybe here is a better place for an answer unless it's something I'm doing wrong?

"Thanks in advance!"

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

pemasu

#7 Post by pemasu »

rt2800usb needs some firmware, I dont recall right what. But your link post shows that the problem is with encrypted connection. You seem to have WPA encryption enabled. I suggest you to configure the router with open wireless connection ie without encryption with WEP - WPA - WPA2. They do offer with some routers poor protection, it seems.....

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/723755

pemasu

#8 Post by pemasu »

I believe Puppies have firmware preinstalled for 2800usb. But the encryption seems to be broken:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/rt2800usb
According to commit adding rt2800usb:

No TX during first minute after association
Broken Hardware encryption

sszindian

rt2800USB

#9 Post by sszindian »

'Thank you pemasu !'

Yes, my router has WPA/WPA2 encription enabled, that I'm sure of... I will check out the threads you listed.

>>>---Indian------>

sszindian

rt2800USB

#10 Post by sszindian »

pemasu:

I read those threads you suggested but it seems it's way above my knowledge, wireless is totally new to me!!!

You wrote:
I suggest you to configure the router with open wireless connection ie without encryption with WEP - WPA - WPA2.

I would like to give this a try...

Is there a way in terminal to do this? The only disk (that I assume has the Belkin Configure Menu) was provided in Windows format, not much use to Puppy users :)

"Thanks again!"

>>>---Indian------>

pemasu

#11 Post by pemasu »

Usually the routers are configured using browser. The router ip is the gateway ip. How to get the ip address of that. I am not quite handy to tell how to find it. Usually the /etc/resolv.conf shows the dns address as your router ip address. Frisbee has network status > routing box for showing it....etc...

Then you need the user name and password to change the router settings. Usually there is defaults for them if you havent changed them. You should also change it if you havent changed. Then inside router settings is usually semiautomatic wizard to change the settings. Important one is to disable all encryptions.